New Classics

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Okay, so the last gen is pretty much over. Gamecube and Xbox are dead, and although the PS2 still sells buckets, it's not getting much new software. So what do we think will become the classics of the last generation?

Posted by EvilDeadGamer

well with backwards compatibilty, nothing. i mean xbox 360 doesnt play all xbox games. but some are being remade as 360 games and they come out with new emulators for BC all the time. so they're not quite classics yet since they still work on next gen consoles.

EDIT: sorry i read the thing wrong and made an *** out of myself. i re-posted below.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Quoting EvilDeadGamer: well with backwards compatibilty, nothing. i mean xbox 360 doesnt play all xbox games. but some are being remade as 360 games and they come out with new emulators for BC all the time. so they're not quite classics yet since they still work on next gen consoles.

Jesus you're retarded. Just because a game will still play on a console does not mean it's not a classic. You can mod the original X-Box to play the first (the fukcing old one) Prince of Persia. I can still play it on any current platform that I mod or download it for, but it remains a classic. Donkey Kong Country became an instant classic just as it came out, but it was still a fresh game.

Anywho, last-gen classics?

*** of War, Morrowind, Resident Evil 4, Devil May Cry, Smash Bros. Melee, Guitar Hero, Kingom Under Fire (wishful thinking on my end), The Sims, and I can't decide on Twilight Princess (since it's on Wii and came really late in the GCN lifespan). There's a couple more... I just can't think of them at the moment.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I agree with almost all of Sapphire Rose's, plus Ninja Gaiden, Wind Waker, Metal Gear Solid 2/3, Metroid Prime, GTA III and Jet Set Radio Future.

also tales of symphonia will probably be last-gen's 'UNDERRATED RPG lol' .

Posted by Sapphire Rose

The ones in your list are probably the ones I couldn't think of.

Posted by EvilDeadGamer

OMG, i read the thing wrong. i thought it said what is the classics, not what will become the greatest classics. im sorry you guys. i still deserve the flame for being to retarted xD yea, everything Saphire said, (not DMC 2 it wasnt "classic" worthy) and Halo, Halo 2, i guess they count since they were on last gen? anyway. im sorry about reading the thing wrong.

EDIT: like i havent heard that one before X, lol

Posted by Creedence

Classics, well I'm not sure that I'll be cool with calling anything from the last gen systems classics for five or six years but when that time comes, I think that Freedom Fighters might be a classic. Metriod Prime of course. Twilight Princess will be. I can't really say much cuz I really don't consider much classic from PS1 and N64 days. They are coming out with less and less instant classics though. The last one that I can think of that was an intant classic to me is Worms Armagedon for the 64.

Posted by Speedfreak

Pikmin 2. If you never played it you should do right now.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Ninja Gaiden.

Posted by Speedfreak

Metal Gear Solid 2. Surprised no one said it yet.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Speedfreak;628387]Metal Gear Solid 2. Surprised no one said it yet.

Speedfreak

Incapable of reading posts since 2002

Posted by Zeta

Skies of Arcadia/Legends.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Let's see. I'll pick one from each system, including Dreamcast:

GAMECUBE: Eternal Darkness
GameBoy Advance: Tactics Ogre
Dreamcast: Shenmue
X-box: Fable
ps2: Zone of the Enders

I tried to choose ones that weren't sequels to anything, Tactics Ogre notwithstanding.

Fable a classic? =/

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Fable a classic? =/
Yeah, a classic LETDOWN lol

zing it's true

Posted by Crazy K

I would say *** of War, Metal Gear solid 2 and 3, GTA Vice City, Resident Evil 4, Guitar hero, and many more.

Posted by Ant

To say one that hasn't been said yet: Katamari Damacy

Too bad they've kinda ruined that series =/

Posted by Ant

Indeed. The bastardization of it made the creator basically quit the biz.

Posted by Degeneration

Shadow of the Colossus. That's right. I went there.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Fable was a good action-RPG, I thought. It just wasn't what was promised. Since I didn't really even look at what was promised until after I had played the game through a couple of times, it didn't bother me much.

Posted by Big Boss

GameCube

Eternal Darkness - A game that reminds me of Metal Gear Solid in terms of all of its high-quality components working together to deliver a unique gameplay experience. ED truly innovated in the survival genre by the use of the insanity meter, coupled with simple and accessible controls, attractive and clean visuals, and excellent production values in terms of voice acting, music and story.

Metroid Prime - Much in the same way Mario and Link were successfully brought to 3D in the N64, Samus finally got her makeover in Prime. Far different than your typical first-person shooter, it encouraged exploration over mindless shooting. Everything about the game was beautiful, from the visuals to the audio to the interface. And while this has nothing to do with it, I tend to drive by Retro Studios on my way to lunch about half the time. :D

Resident Evil 4 - What ED did for the "horror" portion of the genre, RE4 did for the "survival." It not only redefined the way we play Resident Evil to the point where playing any older entry in the series would be a crime, it also set the standard for a lot of third-person shooters to come (Gears of War, Dark Sector, Ghost Recon). The soundtrack was awesome, and the action so intense and fun it begged to be played multiple times.

PlayStation 2

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty - Responsible for bringing the MGS series to the new generation, the game was far ahead of its time for its ease to use the PS2 hardware after only 1 year of the console's release. The game expanded on the original's story twists, sneaking, humor and Easter eggs, pleasing fans in the end despite the questionable choice of playable characters.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater - MGS3 brought the feel of the MGS series back to its roots. You played as Naked Snake (Big Boss) throughout the whole game, and like the original, it was truly a one-man army against supernatural villains and unrealistically talented soldiers. The drama was kicked up by 1000%, involving the player in the story and causing emotion unlike few, if any, games have managed to do. The introduction of the camouflage added a brand new way to sneak up throughout the world that easily complemented the gameplay standards of the series... and as more content was added, there were always more chances for humor, both in-game and out. Man... my heart's getting warm just talking about it. I can't wait for MGS4.

Okami - Clover Studios' second-to-last game, but by far the most engrossing, heart-warming, innovative of them all. The ability to affect the world around you with a brush allowed for the player to extend himself more intimately to the game unlike ever before done in traditional console games. Add a beautiful, expansive tale of love, tragedy, betrayal and heroism in an artistically, fantastically rendered Japan, and you've got one of the best games ever. Seriously, why the hell haven't you played it?

G[color=yellowgreeb]o
d of War - While Ninja Gaiden (Xbox) revived the beat-em-up genre that had gone down an endless spiral of neglect and mediocrity, it was GoW that set the standard for why this mode of gameplay still has a lot of life left in it: Because it taps into the primal nature of the human mind. There's no other game that truly brings out the gladiator-like nature we've left behind in history like GoW. Get swallowed by a giant Hydra only to tap your way out of it by sheer force of strength, and pay her back by stabbing her eyes with your blades of chaos as you push the mythic monster through a deadly wooden spike that cuts through the bottom of its jaw and through its eye. Then repeat each equally awesome event for the rest of the game, and if you still crave more, get God of War II. That's what the series is for. With its ridiculously high productions values, from its mature-looking, detailed characters and gargantuan settings to the exhilarating, battle-pleasing soundtrack, it's a prime example of what every game in the genre should strive for.

Final Fantasy X - Much like MGS2 brought its series to the new generation in style, so did FFX with the Final Fantasy series. The introduction of voice acting in a series largely accepted for leaving the imagination of players to create the characters' voices was a bold step forward, yet it was a success. Couple that with a love story that could now be told through actual words over merely reading text, a combat system that's actually fun to use for the 200+ hours that people can spend in the game, and a beautiful soundtrack that easily tops anything put by the series in a single game, and you've got one of the best RPGs of all time. Plus, an awesome ending that leaves a very good, if emotionally-filled taste in your mouth (much like MGS3).

Grand Theft Auto III/Vice City/San Andreas - The most obvious entry. Pleased and influenced gamers, the media, casual players and developers unlike any franchise in the last generation (or arguably ever). Truly, the most defining series of the last generation. From that point on, everyone started thinking of the possibilities of using an open world in games, and we're seeing the fruits almost daily. I truly revolutionary series that really made its mark with GTAIII, despite all the spin-offs, clones and inspirational games, the series is still the one to look for in terms of the best urban crime story and sandbox gameplay in an open-world environment. Unmatched.

Xbox

Halo 2 - Despite the series-trademarked, awfully boring single player mode, its online multiplayer shines through and is still compared to this day against all other online console games for its ease of use and accessibility. It brought console gamers to the online world, and brought them well. The matchmaking process is the most painless, easy-to-use set-up for online matches, which definitely beats the need to "Create" or "Search" for a match and find no results in a cumbersome menu. Then comes the gameplay, which thanks to its tight controls and simple modes is really all you need to have a great time with Halo... at least, of course, as long as you can remain competitive.

Ninja Gaiden - As I stated earlier, NG brought back the beat-em-up genre some of us all love, and unlike GoW, NG is insanely difficult. GoW can be hard, and *** mode is brutal, but NG goes above and beyond punishing the player. It breaks one of the fundamental rules of game design, but it does it to weed out the average gamer and entice the almost-masochistic player to come back for more, and more, and more. The game would suck and nobody would play it enough to beat it if wasn't for the extremely well-balanced, fun combat system. It's almost like a fighting game smacked in an action setting, and it works. Ninja Gaiden's success is something that cannot be matched, either. Who else can put out such a hard-***, I-will-do-the-impossible-to-prevent-you-from-winning game and still make gamers keep playing? Only Team Ninja. It is a tribute to the marriage of fun and difficulty that was so prevalent in the NES days.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - As good as Fable was, and as noble its intent, it can't hold a candle in terms of morality issues handled in-game the way KOTOR did. As bad as Fable made me feel for the evil deeds I did, KOTOR made me feel ten times worse... and the same goes when I decided to "make things right" and "save the world." The combat system can be fun if you're a Jedi, but isn't its strongest point. The way you affected characters and the story, as well as arguably the best twist in gaming history (from Star Wars, no less...) make it one of the most memorable games of all time and a benchmark for developers trying to make their games based on moral choice. Still, Fable's combat was more fun, which is why we had...

Jade Empire - Take everything that made KOTOR great, especially its morality system, change the setting from intergalactic drama to historical Chinese martial arts and rework the combat into real-time, action-focused battles. BioWare looked into my brain and said, "Yes, he will REALLY like this." It's the best combination of RPG and action elements rolled into a theme I've always loved. Please make a sequel.

Honorable Mentions:

Beyond Good & Evil (Xbox, PS2, (PC?))
Katamari Damacy (PS2)
Indigo Prophecy (Xbox, PS2, PC)
MLB 06: The Show (PS2)
SSX (PS2)
Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner (PS2)[/color]

Posted by s0ul

I cannot for the life of me figure out why anyone likes *** of War. It plays like a bad movie tie-in. Solid list otherwise, but Beyond Good and Evil's also on Cube.

Being the hip totally indie alternative kid I am, I'm gonna list the ones the little tykes now are gonna look for on ebay in 10 years when they hear some old guy on their FUTURE forums talk about how awesome those cult classicy games were: killer7, Indigo Prophecy, Baten Kaitos, Call of Cthulu, Okami, Viewtiful Joe, Panzer Dragoon Orta.

Indigo sucked as a game.

Posted by s0ul

It only sucked at the end, for reasons they have perfectly acceptable excuses for! Otherwise, if playing DDR on a controller with a movie playing in the background is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

Posted by Pit

Viewtiful Joe, Ikaruga, Luigi's Mansion was awesome **** you, Smash Bros. Melee, Metroid Prime 1, Legend of Zelda: The Windwaker, Sonic Adventure 2, Devil May Cry 1/3, Ninja Gaiden, Halo, *** of War, Okami, Eternal Darkness, Metal Gear Solid 2, Street Fighter 3 (DC), too many to count, last gen had so many **** classics.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Oh, and FFXII.

Agreed. It actually brought the games back to form.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=s0ul;630541]I cannot for the life of me figure out why anyone likes *** of War. It plays like a bad movie tie-in.

Totally, the game's bloody awful. This review by ActionButton sums up everything I think about *** of War and games like *** of War.

[URL]http://www.actionbutton.net/?p=73#more-73[/URL]

[quote]At the end of the day, *** of War 2, though thoroughly well-designed, well-intentioned, and near impeccably well-put together, is an abject failure of videogame.That alone makes it worth a read.

I thought Golden Sun was quite the classic back in the GBA days. One of the best looking RPGs at the time and really still is, it was a brilliant lesson in animation, music, gameplay and how to do epic on small screens.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Speedfreak: That alone makes it worth a read.

And this alone is why it isn't worth a second look:

[quote]The fact that it has been a success

Posted by Speedfreak

Sorry, but the game's for vegetables.

Posted by Anti-Muffla

Super Mario Sunshine!
Spiderman 2!
GTA 3/VC/SA
MGS 2/3
DMC (All)
Jak 2/3
Socom 1 and 2!! omg I still play Socom 2.
RE4
Halo 1 and 2
All the Zelda games
Prince of Persia (never got to finish it)
Mercenaries
HalfLife 2
Doom 3
Far Cry