Upgrading from windows ME to XP Home

Posted by avalanch

Yea, I want to upgrade to windows XP Home edition but I don't want to lose any programs already installed, so I'm kinda worried about that.

So Just how reliable is the upgrade feature on the xp disk compared to formatting the hard drive & installing xp from scratch?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Formatting and reinstalling would probably produce superior PC performance.

also wtf people use ME in 2007?

Posted by avalanch

I know neighbors who still use windows 95.

Posted by Crazy K

Do a clean install. I believe a clean install allows you to keep your programs and such. But I may be wrong.

Posted by Gollum

A clean install will erase everything. It would be better for you to simply redownload the setup files for all your applications before wiping and burn to a dvd, so you can simply reinstall them all when you install Windows. Just go down the Add/Remove Programs list one by one downloading the ones you want.

Posted by muffla

dosent the upgrade option keep all your files? if not go buy a cheap external harddrive put your files on that, erase your internal hd and install windows then hook up you external and reinstall you files.

Posted by avalanch

Yea, the upgrade keeps all files however, theres a few complications and yes I do have an extra 110 GIG drive installed. It says to update or remove thiese things, some of which i dont know how to do, like the nvidia nview desktop manager.

Quoted post: The following issues might require you to obtain files from Microsoft Windows Update Web site or a manufacturer's Web site. You can still continue to upgrade to Windows XP without resolving these issues, but some hardware or software might not work. Follow the recommendations in each section. Hardware Compatibility Issues
Setup has found hardware on your computer that is incompatible with (that is, it does not work with) Windows XP.

[LIST]Hardware That Might Need Additional Files
The following hardware might need additional files in order to work with Windows XP. Contact your hardware vendors to obtain Windows XP compatible updates. In many cases, if a Windows XP version is not yet available, a Windows 2000 compatible update should work. It is recommended that you obtain these drivers in advance. You can also view the [URL="http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?Prd=Whistler&Ar=Help&Sba=compatible"]Microsoft Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List[/URL] on the Web.
Please note that some of the following entries might be software that is registered as hardware.

[LIST]Imaging Device
Generic DV Tape Recorder/Player
Intel(r) PC Camera CS630 (not currently present)

[/LIST][LIST]Other devices
PCI Communication Device

[/LIST][LIST]Universal Serial Bus controllers
Intel(r) PC Camera CS630 Bulk Depart (not currently present)
Intel(r) PC Camera CS630 USB Controller (not currently present)
[/LIST][/LIST]Software Compatibility Issues Software That Does Not Support Windows XP
Setup has found programs on your computer that are incompatible with (that is, they do not work with) Windows XP. Contact your software vendors to obtain updates or Windows XP-compatible versions. If you don't update these programs before you upgrade, the programs will not work after the upgrade is completed.

[LIST]NVIDIA nView Desktop Manager (in Control Panel)
System Information (on the Start menu)
[/LIST]Before you upgrade to Windows XP, you should remove any incompatible programs if you can. After the upgrade, uninstall for these programs might not work. Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel can help you uninstall most programs. Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then click Add/Remove Programs. [LIST]Intel Create & Share Software
To function properly, this version of Intel Create & Share Software might require upgrading. For more information, contact Intel. [/LIST] Helpful Information ([URL="http://vgchat.com/#top"]return to top[/URL])
The following issues are listed for your information only. You can continue the upgrade to Windows XP. General Information
This section provides important information that you need to be aware of before you upgrade.

[LIST]Backup Files Found
Setup found files on your computer that appear to be a backup of part of Windows Millennium Edition. During the upgrade to Windows XP, Setup removes Windows Millennium Edition from your computer, including any backups you might have on your hard disk. More information is available in the Setupact.log file, located in your Windows folder. It lists 12 folders that might contain backup files. Protect your backup files by copying them to floppy disks, a network server, a compressed archive file, or other backup mechanism.

[/LIST] [LIST]Recycle Bin
Setup found 5 files in your Recycle Bin. If you continue upgrading to Windows XP, these files will be deleted.
[/LIST]Other Upgrade Information
[LIST]Microsoft DirectX 9.0
To maintain compatibility with your DirectX 9.0 applications, you will need to download the DirectX 9.0 update for Windows XP, Windows XP SP1 and Windows Server 2003 from http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com.
[/LIST]

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting avalanch: Yea, the upgrade keeps all files however, theres a few complications and yes I do have an extra 110 GIG drive installed. It says to update or remove thiese things, some of which i dont know how to do, like the nvidia nview desktop manager.

Ok, for the hardware stuff, it's just a matter of getting the updated XP drivers (which you can get at the website of the manufacturer). When it says "Other Devices" though, that means that you don't have the device installed, so you should check what that "PCI Communications Device" is. Now XP DOES have some drivers already built in for most devices, so I wouldn't worry about the hardware stuff until after the upgrade.

For software, it is a bit more serious. Again, check the publisher's website to see if there is an updated XP version of it. If there isn't, well then you are out of luck. It would be a good idea to uninstall programs that it deems incompatible. With the nVidia Desktop manager, it's just a matter of updating your video card drivers (on nVidia's website). The other stuff, check the publisher.

For everything else, just don't worry about it period. The backup files burn to a CD or DVD. Everything else will take care of itself.

That's IF you are going to do the upgrade option. I myself would follow the advice of these good people and just do a "clean install". It's better in the long run. Just backup what ever files you have to a CD/DVD, and the re-format.

Posted by Shadow

I used Windows ME FOR 7 years, but forunatly, I am going to get a new computer tomorrow, Window's Vista! :D

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Shadow: I used Windows ME FOR 7 years, but forunatly, I am going to get a new computer tomorrow, Window's Vista! :D

>_>

IMO that's almost as bad, but then I guess you don't really have a choice as most vendors put Vista on the new computers.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Vista isn't that bad. I used a tweaked-to-hell version back in school, and it was running on a lacklustre system.

Posted by Creedence

Actually, I recently got my ME upgraded to XP. Course I hate the peice of crap still, and do not intend to upgrade the graphics card and put anymore ram in it. I have under the minimun recomended ammount of ram in it and its a slow peice of crap still. The only good thing is now that its upgraded I can run alot of newer programs on it.

But really, anything to get off the ME, the OS was so unstable if I minimize too many things at once it would crash.

Posted by Trigger

[quote=Proto Man]IMO that's almost as bad, but then I guess you don't really have a choice as most vendors put Vista on the new computers.
I have run every version of Windows that Microsoft have released and I have to say that Windows Vista is in no way a reflection of the poor operating system Windows ME. I have Windows Vista on installed on every machine in my computer since the day it was out, and I'm still waiting for my system to freeze or crash.

I cannot even begin to imagine how you can claim Windows Vista is "almost as bad" as running Windows ME. I'm more tempted to think this is more user error than anything else - no offense.