Burnout Paradise

Posted by Speedfreak

I guess there must not be many Burnout fans here otherwise this would've had a thread already.

But anyway, this is the game I'm testing at EA and I happen to think it's pretty badass. And so does Kotaku, they gave it the Best Racing Game of E3 award, it beat out games like PGR4 and the new (inferior:p) Flat Out.

Here's the trailer for the game, what do you guys think?

http://kotaku.com/gaming/ea/burnout-paradise-277028.php

Posted by muffla

i cant wait for this game its my fav racing game science the first one and i think the new "picture when you crash" feature is amazingly unique

Posted by Speedfreak

It's also the funniest thing in the universe. I really wish they revealed it sooner so Halo 3 could've ripped it off for sniping or something.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Open city?

unsure if want...

Posted by muffla

yea that would have been funny
edit ninjad: the open city dsnt bother me because you can start races at any stoplight and you can learn the roades before hand

Posted by Sapphire Rose

If it's Burnout, then it will make open cities awesome.

Posted by Speedfreak

Road Rage makes a lot more sense with openworld, there's also a new mode that's a ton of fun but I'm not sure if the developers have mentioned it in an interview or not, so I can't say. The designers are working really hard on making openworld work, I wouldn't worry.

Posted by Anti-Muffla

yea, Burnout Paradise looks really awesome. Open world will be sick! Burnouts are my favorite racing games ever.

Posted by muffla

i wonder if they will inclue traffic checking agian, it made the game too easy

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Yeah, it's back in. They added a couple other things with the traffic, like if you have enough speed to keep going after hitting a car, you'll just tear the car in two and carry on.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Let me know when there's an arcade version. I'll be all over that.

Posted by Linko_16

I played the first Burnout game when the series was young, and as all these sequels came out, I said to myself that I didn't want to play them until I found and bought the original. However, I've never seen it on used game racks, and I'm starting to wonder if it ever really existed. ;-;

Burnout 1 was awwight, but 2 was better. The series didn't really become great until Takedown. Just forget about the original. Not even worth it.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Little less than awwright. Passable at most.

2 was far better, and Takedown was where the series picked up (like Vamp just said).

But yeah, don't buy the first.

Posted by Speedfreak

Eh, I preferred the first two over Takedown. The amount you got away with in Takedown was absurd, it stopped being a racing game and became a retarded SMASH DA CARZ game. Revenge was even worse, now you didn't even have to dodge traffic. And what the hell was up with having an F1 car in the game?

1 and 2 = fun racing games with cool crashes, though 2 is a ton better than 1.

3 and 4 = car crash games

You've gotta be one of the few that think that then. 2 has its merits without a doubt, but I think the balance of 3 was the best, where traffic still had to avoided at all costs, but that wasn't the main focus of the game. It was a good mixture of dodging and ****ing up friends.

Posted by Speedfreak

Actually, I'm not one of the few at all. At least not on the team.

The problem with 3 was that you could slam sideways into walls at ridiculous speeds and just carry on, you could even hit traffic head on and come away alright.

Posted by s0ul

Traffic head on? No way, dude. I definitely think 3 was the best. Revenge was really mediocre though, so I really hope 3's... not at all like it.

Quoted post: you could even hit traffic head on and come away alright.

I don't recall that ever, and i played the **** out of Takedown.

Posted by Speedfreak

It was at lower speeds, but it was definately a lot less strict than 2. 2 was an instant death when you hit a car head-on.

Yeah, and that didn't make for the most fun experience. Especially when you had to sit through every crash. Plus, how often do you go at low speeds in Takedown?

Posted by s0ul

You could get away with hitting oncoming traffic if you just clip it, which is perfectly reasonable. With all of my experience driving cars into each other at 160 mph, that's usually how it happens.

Posted by Speedfreak

Eh, I haven't played it in years so I don't really remember the specifics. I just remember trying to unlock things and thinking "this game doesn't actually take that much skill" and stopping there and then.

k, I just bought it played it again. ****, it sucks. I don't remember actually not liking it, and I know I enjoyed it... but what the hell? I can't even play Revenge now. It just sucks so hard...

Speed, you're testing Paradise, right? Does it have free play like Takedown? You know, where you can just choose Road Rage and immediately go into a race? It better.

Posted by s0ul

Wait, what? I thought we were talking about 3!

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;636799]Speed, you're testing Paradise, right? Does it have free play like Takedown? You know, where you can just choose Road Rage and immediately go into a race? It better.

You do know the game is openworld, right? The second the game loads you can go screw around with whatever you want.

Yeah. But I wasn't sure if you could just immediately start whatever type of race you wanted.

Posted by Reve

I still find Burnout Revenge entertaining but thats just me. I can say I'm thrilled for Paradise. Not "camp out to get it right when it comes out" thrilled but thrilled none the less!

Posted by Linko_16

Me here again. I actually managed to find a copy of the first Burnout, which my local Hollywood Video put up for sale as they get rid of some of their old last-generation titles. Like you guys said, it's not so great afterall, but for six bucks I'm glad I found it again.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

What you need is Burnout 3.

Original burnout is better than Revenge.

Seriously, in this order: Takedown, 2, Dominator, Burnout, Revenge.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;642860]Takedown, 2, Dominator, Burnout, Revenge.

Que? What happened to:

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;636799]k, I just bought it played it again. ****, it sucks. I don't remember actually not liking it, and I know I enjoyed it... but what the hell? I can't even play Revenge now. It just sucks so hard...

Or were you talking about Burnout 1?

I still think 2 was better than the 3 and 4 crapfest. You had much better control over your cars and it felt like you were actually doing something, rather than holding accelerate, vaguely steering towards your opponents watching the resulting crash, repeated until the end of the race because of the rubber band bulls[COLOR=lightgreen]h[/COLOR]it.

It's like the difference between Mario Kart on SNES and N64.

Quoted post: Que? What happened to:

In one quote I listed Revenge as the worst and in the other I said Revenge was ****. What's the discrepancy?

Posted by Speedfreak

We were talking about 3 for the whole thread, I guess.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I personally liked 3 the most, mainly because of the crashes. Crashing and smashing cars is one of the biggest attractions of Burnout over other racing games. Of course they should be bigging it up. Road rage events were definitely the highlight of the series.

Quoted post: We were talking about 3 for the whole thread, I guess.

I figured mentioning "Revenge" in the post would've cleared up confusion...

Quoted post: Road rage events were definitely the highlight of the series.

Yeah, exactly. Why Revenge did away with exhibition-style events I have no clue. Throwing everything into a career mode was a bad move.

Posted by Speedfreak

I hated Road Rage, never understood the point of a game about chasing when you can only go in one direction.

Oh, and it you didn't get away with slamming into the front of cars in 3, you got away with slamming into the /back/ of them, which was also stupid.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

If you hate crashing cars in Burnout, why the **** do you play the games?!

Posted by Speedfreak

Uhhh, try reading the thread. I was annoyed by the fact that slamming into the backs of cars didn't count as a crash. The game took barely any skill.

Quoted post:
Oh, and it you didn't get away with slamming into the front of cars in 3, you got away with slamming into the /back/ of them, which was also stupid.

Uh, no you didn't. That was Revenge. In Takedown, no matter what, if you hit traffic at high speeds you'd be dead. Revenge introduced traffic-checking.

Quoted post: I hated Road Rage, never understood the point of a game about chasing when you can only go in one direction.

... what? The whole purpose of Road Rage is to takedown the other vehicles, not merely chase them. I don't know why you hate it as that was easily the best addition to the series. It wasn't just another racing game when they introduced this mechanic.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;643670]Uh, no you didn't. That was Revenge. In Takedown, no matter what, if you hit traffic at high speeds you'd be dead. Revenge introduced traffic-checking.

Nope, I remember it vividly. You'd race around a corner, slam into the back of a traffic vehicle and slow down to the traffic vehicles speed half the time. I thought it was a bug, but it must've been some early form of traffic checking. They just toned down how much the back of a traffic car affected you.

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;643670] ... what? The whole purpose of Road Rage is to takedown the other vehicles, not merely chase them. I don't know why you hate it as that was easily the best addition to the series. It wasn't just another racing game when they introduced this mechanic.

But the chase is the fun part. It's really lame just holding down boost and accelerate until they're in view and mashing the stick left or right until they died. I felt like a f[COLOR=lightgreen]u[/COLOR]cking coma patient playing that game.

Quoted post: Nope, I remember it vividly. You'd race around a corner, slam into the back of a traffic vehicle and slow down to the traffic vehicles speed half the time. I thought it was a bug, but it must've been some early form of traffic checking. They just toned down how much the back of a traffic car affected you.

I don't recall that and I sitll play the game. I know if you got at a certain speed you'll slow down and not crash, but usually you're never slow enough and just ****ing crash.

Quoted post: But the chase is the fun part. It's really lame just holding down boost and accelerate until they're in view and mashing the stick left or right until they died. I felt like a ****ing coma patient playing that game.

No it isn't. Plus, even if you don't like Road Rage, at least they included takedowns in the actual racing events. Now that separated it from all the other racers. That's what made it fun and made the series so popular. I mean, there's a reason people care about the series now.

Posted by mis0

I liked Burnout 1 & 2 for the good sense of speed and no-bull**** finish before other cars type of racing. All of the gimmicky street raceriness of Revenge isn't my cup of tea. I own it, and it can be fun, but blowing up your car to kill other opponents isn't my kind of race.

Then again, this is coming from someone who plays a lot of Gran Turismo 4, and the arcade-feel of recent Burnout titles fmake it more like F-Zero than anything because of the way the cars accelerate (at lightspeed) and rediculous handling characteristics.

Posted by s0ul

Yeah, I think Speedy's confusing 3 and Revenge, because you can't slam into the back of cars in 3, it will **** you up. I still play this like every weekend, it just doesn't happen.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I was playing Takedown this morning to see what was truly the case, and you get pretty much ****ed up by any oncoming obstacle. I even crashed and burned from scraping the side of a fence. :(

Quoted post: Yeah, I think Speedy's confusing 3 and Revenge,

Definitely. And I don't blame him for having a problem with Revenge. It sucked.

Posted by Speedfreak

I never even played Revenge, I've seen about 20 combined minutes of it at work but that's it. Perhaps this is a PAL issue, I have no idea. I just remember 3 taking a lot less skill than 2 and being pissed off at how most of the cars are identical and you pretty much unlock them by breathing. It felt so patronising.

The PAL version was dumbed down then or idk what game you're talking about. It definitely focused less on the traffic and more on rival racers, but traffic was still a huge factor. The real difference between 2 and 3 was takedowns and the various other events. That's pretty much it. It's still the basic game, just evolved and faster. Also, most of the cars were noticeably different.

Posted by mis0

Revenge doesn't have a good sense of speed though. You're going "200mph" all the time and after about 5 minutes it begins to seem slow. And the blur is just stupid.

I liked it. The effects were nice, and I kinda liked the screen shaking stuff. Still, 3 got it just right.

Posted by Speedfreak

I liked the blur but it majorly screwed up your peripheral vision.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

I think Speedy just wasn't going fast enough. At lower speeds, instead of crashing into stuff, you'll slide off them as if both cars were coated in a liberal amount of butter - presumably to stop people from crashing immediately after spawning, even though that still happened anyway. You could also hit a car at about 40 degrees from the back and you'd kind of slip off them. It wasn't ideal realistically, but it helped to keep the game going. If you're playing Burnout for realism you're one crazy mother.