Grunge

Posted by S

Alice in Chains, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden are a few names that come to mind for me, but I'm curious what other bands people think fall into this category. Even more so, what is Grunge in your opinion?

I claim myself to be a grunger, but to be very honest, most bands I think that closely resemble grunge, are typically bands that fall into many, many categories or none at all because of their uniqueness. Tool, A Perfect Circle, Nine Inch Nails all come close in some aspects, but they don't necessarily fall into the category. If anything, I'd classify them as uniques that don't fall into any specific section.

Posted by Omni

All the bands you named at the beginnng and U-Men, Skin Yard, Green River, Malfunkshun, Temple of the Dog, Mother Love Bone, Melvins, Stone Temple Pilots, Mad Season, Hole, Dinosaur Jr., some of Neil Young's work, Mudhoney, Screaming Trees, Brad, Wellwater Conspiracy, L7, Fastbacks, Hater, and several others.

Grunge isn't so much a genre of music as a scene in early 90's alternative music movement that included bands with similar influences, similar attirbutes, and lyrical themes. The term itself being used to describe music comes from a statement made by Mark Arm of the band Mudhoney where he called their music "pure grunge, shit" in an interview, and the term soon became widely used to describe bands around that timr period who belonged to or were similar to the Seattle scene.

There is also a group of bands known as post-grunge, which includes bands who came to light after the glory days of grunge music ended in the mid-90's, many of which are heavily influenced by grunge music or contain ex-members of grunge bands.

Oh, and a lot of them suck, but there's a few that aren't so well known that are actually worth checking out. I also don't really like Nirvana at all. :(

Posted by Shin-Ra

Omni, post some Grunge that's not Alice in Chains or STP in the blog if you don't mind. I've liked Grunge since I was a little kid, but I never actually got a lot on here.

Posted by Omni

I'll upload a few albums. Just look for them later.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

One of the worst genres ever made. Don't like a single band from it. =/

Posted by Omni

By the way, Shin-ra, which of the bands that I uploaded did you like, if any?

Posted by Ilikefluff

category BWAHAHAH listen to the music For the music,not for what they have become .... just because its not black or death metal or grind core doesn't mean its bad genre vampy.. GRUNGE WILL NOT DIE!!! \m/

Posted by Omni

Grunge is dead. Almost all of the originators of the grunge scene are gone.

Posted by Ilikefluff

so what most of the lead singers are dead that doeant mean the genre's are dead, there still makin music

Posted by Omni

It doesn't matter if the musicians are still making music. The only prominent bands that were around during the height of grunge that are still around are Mudhoney and Pearl Jam. Alice In Chains was Layne Staley's band, and he's dead, whether or not Jerry Cantrell likes it. None of those bands have released anything major in several years.

A lot of members of other former grunge bands are still making music, but none of them are playing grunge rock anymore. Audioslave is not grunge, Velvet Revolver is not grunge, and those are just about the most major bands featuring former grungers. Oh, and Audioslave broke up.

Stop posting if you have no idea what you're talking about. It's annoying.

On a side note, the coolest thing any ex-grunger has done is recent years has been Kim Thayil appearing on Sunn O))) and Boris' Altar, where he played guitar on the track "Blood Swamp" as a guest musician.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

SPEAKING OF DRONE

Kurt Cobain sung on an EARTH album. Only good thing to come out of the grunge era.

Posted by Ilikefluff

thats also about the only good thing youve said in a month,,, EARTH is awesome and so isnt earthlings?

Posted by S

Personally, I don't consider Grunge seclusive to a 'movement', because that inherently means the 'movement' will cease. If anything, I'd consider it a sub-category of rock, maybe. Mostly, I say that because Grunge is a style, there is something unique about it and that can be revived if someone wanted to.

Posted by Ilikefluff

in between rock and metal.

Posted by Omni

Bands like Alice In Chains and Soundgarden are clearly heavy metal-based bands, and bands like Pearl Jam and Stone Temple Pilots are clearly hard rock bands. Nirvana was based off of punk music. The massive difference between bands associated with the grunge scene in terms of their music implies that grunge is more of a scene than a genre. Same thing if you ask the musicians themsevles. Chris Cornell, Kurt Cobain, Mark Arm, and a few others have been quoted as saying grunge is a scene more than anything else.

Posted by Ch

If you want a real good Grunge band that never had a commercial spotlight then you should listen to Thread. Thread was a band from Seattle that was very active in the Seattle scene in the early 90's.

I first heard of Thread a few years ago when I visited my older cousin Jimmy in Seattle and went through his music collection. It turns out he has some very rare demos of plenty of the big and small bands of the day and Thread was one of them. He had an album called "Everyday Grace" that was very very good.

If you want to download or order the CD go here.

http://stores.ebay.com/threadstore

Blood Circus is also another good one.