Know what to say

Posted by Shadow

Do you sometimes get yourself on those "sticky" problems, and have nothing to say, or you have think of something to say fast (even the most stupid comments or questions) before the person will walk away from you?

This problem doesn't have to do with Love, but in General, or Social. Addition, this is my real problem, yet I am not even shy from anybody, but I don't know what exactly to say, so if you could really help me, as what to say because if I talk/chat to anybody, they will get bored, but they may not seem that way, for a while, things will get really boring, than Conversation will end.

Maybe if I know what to say, I could be a better person, and know how to socialize.

Thank you,
Shadow

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I have no idea what you're talking about. Maybe that's your problem.

Posted by Shadow

What I am talking about is, How do you know what to say at the right time?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Depends on the situation and the person.

Posted by Shadow

For an Example, you are talking to a girl, and you don't know nothing about her. What type of questions would you ask?

Posted by Bebop

"What does sperm taste like?"
"Who would you rather do: Woody or Buzz?"

Seriously, how the **** are supposed to answer this? VGChat doesn't have the hidden solid formula for everything unfortunately. Christ, only a handful of members on this board are correctly toilet trained.

Posted by Shadow

That doesn't help at all. Maybe I should call Dr.Phil

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Oh for ***'s sake. There isn't a generic line for people you don't know.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Shadow: What I am talking about is, How do you know what to say at the right time?

"Hello" is a good start.

Posted by Shadow

Yea your right, it's pointless of getting people's advice on situation like this. I guess the Answer is Incest.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

This almost calls for a changing of the worst n00b award.

Posted by Roger Smith

Quoting Angelwing: This almost calls for a changing of the worst n00b award.

ALMOST.

Posted by Omni

Elric is still the worst in my book.

Shadow, if you stopped worrying about having something to say and thinking so hard about it, odds are something would come to you. Socializing isn't as difficult as it can seem to some people. You'll figure this out eventually, I hope.

Posted by Kit

"How are you?"
"Seen any good movies lately?"

Posted by fates warning

how about a simple "whats up?" talking to people really isnt that hard a thing to do =/

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

I never know what I'm saying, and if I'm tired half of what I say doesn't even come out properly. So I don't recall the last time I didn't know what to say, simply because half of what I say is when I'm not really even paying attention to what I'm saying. Make sense?

Anywho, if you're talking about filling an awkward silence, can't really help you since it depends on the situation. It's best not to fill it with pointless chat though, then it just makes everything worse. Plus, it takes more than one person to generate an awkward silence and if the conversation ends because of it, oh well. If the other person wasn't responding well to what you said then **** it. Sounds like more effort than it's worth.

Posted by Aesthetic

What he said. Also, confidence plays a big part. Even if you don't know what you're going to say or you're rambling off on something completely incoherent, there's a difference between talking with an air of confidence vs. awkwardness and a blank stare. For example:

"hey remember pop-up video? yeah that was nifty. hey when was the last time you've had saltwater taffy? you don't remember? ah well, just wondering. ahh, tired as hell because i downed a bottle of jiffy lube the other night and just conked out. pretty crazy. how about you?"

vs.

"um.. videos. remember the ones where.. nevermind. taffy is.. good.. um.. lol i dunno why i brought that up, im such a doofus. lol i said doofus. ANYway so! tired. i am. haha totally didnt mean to sound like yoda oh crap that sounded nerdy im sorry. um. so anyway. you know why im tired? nevermind its stupid lol. so. whats.. up?"

survey sayyyys

Posted by KoH

There's no "holy grail" catch phrase to immediately begin a relationship with women. However if there were, I'd be the last to know.

This is what I do in such situations, hopefully this will aid you in your trials and tribulations during socially awkward moments:

If there is a situation wherein an awkward moment exists and I am simply observing, I will proceed to laugh. Why? It's not due to insanity, I assure you, but rather that I'm observing two people who lack the social tact to both avoid awkward moments in conversation and to also dig themselves out of it and salvage the conversation.

I might also be laughing at the cause of the awkward moment.

Now if I'm talking to a girl and there's an awkward moment, this is my secret formula:

Actually I don't really have awkward moments with girls... I'm not saying that I'm some demi-*** capable of wooing any women I see, nor am I saying that I never socialize with women... It's just that there's always something to say.

It's much like anything else in the world that is void of facts: You have to feel it out. Conversing with anyone is about actually being there, listening and responding. If you don't listen and are thinking about the girl's body (ie, her breasts etc.) then you have failed.

Don't, I repeat, DO NOT fall into my current state of mind where I constantly day dream or think of completely irrelevant thoughts mid-conversation or during moments where it's appropriate for me to take action in some way. It's a nasty habit. Although I am perfectly happy right now with this mentality, I do know that it's not a very good habit for pursuing relationships.

Oh, and you if you're fat, lose weight first. If you're ugly, work out so that at least the girl can distract herself by looking at your body instead of your fugly face. I've said it in another thread and I'll repeat it here:

You have to be at least somewhat attractive for a girl to take interest in you.

At least take care of yourself. Christ. I'm so sick of seeing these kids walking around looking like ****. Oh and, one last thing. Personality also plays a major factor. Probably the biggest factor of them all. So if you have a winning personality but a decent appearance, you'll most likely beat someone who looks great but has a ****ty personality.

For the record, yes, I am very bored currently. Hence, the length of my post.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Shadow: What I am talking about is, How do you know what to say at the right time?

I use the squishy thinkystuff in my head and make wordnoises accordingly.

Posted by Ant

well, if they ever walk out of the bathroom always ask them "How'd it go?"

Beyond that though I don't care about awkward silences. If they want to talk they can, otherwise I'm not going to talk unless I feel like it.

Posted by Aesthetic

Quoting Ant: well, if they ever walk out of the bathroom always ask them "How'd it go?"

That would actually make me laugh, which would make me more inclined to get to know you. And then WHO KNOWS

Quoted post: Beyond that though I don't care about awkward silences. If they want to talk they can, otherwise I'm not going to talk unless I feel like it.

Yeah, if they choose not to talk, I won't talk either. I'm not going to have a one-sided conversation with anyone. Similarly, if they're talkative, I'll be glad to hold a conversation with them.

Posted by Shadow

This will help a lot, and thank you for your time. And KoH, I'll bring your theory into thought. Thanks for the help.

Posted by Klarth

Put your hand down her pants before you start talking. I hear that usually works.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=netman;624289]Put your hand down her pants before you start talking. I hear that usually works.

u speak from xperience amirite lolol

it's a good ice-breaker at least

Posted by Omni

I know all the guys I've gotten to know very well did that to me when we first met.

Posted by muffla

same thing i said for the pickup line thread
nice shoes wanna ****
also if they go to the bathroom say good luck

Posted by Jeffereyshalom

Just Bull **** your way out of it.

For example:

"I really like your________"

"You seem really________"

just insert something into those lines that will make her go "Awww, that's so sweet of you."

SCORE!.......aww hell, like i would know.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=muffla;624701]same thing i said for the pickup line thread
nice shoes wanna ****
also if they go to the bathroom say good luck

Smooth, smooth.

idk, I had a silence with a girl today and I just let it roll. It felt pretty good.

Posted by Philsdad

Quoting Jeffereyshalom: Just Bull **** your way out of it.

For example:

"I really like your________"

"You seem really________"

just insert something into those lines that will make her go "Awww, that's so sweet of you."

This only works if you're attractive. It's weird, because girls will judge you and your intentions solely by your looks, no matter what you say. Case in point:

Suppose a hot guy complements a girl. The girl will think "aww, how sweet!" as you said. Now, what if a fat ugly guy gives the girl the same exact complements? Is it still sweet? Nope, now the guy is being a creepy stalker who has bad baaad intentions. Better take out the pepper spray. As far as we know, the attractive guy could just want to get into the girl's pants. And the ugly could have just been trying to be nice. But it doesn't matter, the girl will only perceive it the way I just described. Deny it all you want, everyone knows it's true.

Posted by EvilDeadGamer

If its a girl, say nothing then all of a sudden say "umm...ah..i...uhh..like to drink urine...mixed with a little bit of blood in it." have a camera with you to take a picture of what her reaction is xD

seriously tho, this is a pretty retarted question. if you cant socialize, buy more video games. if you run out of money, then u dont need to socialize because you cant take a girl on a date.

yeah, it was quite retarted wasn't it?

Posted by JonMB

Shadow, hang around with some people who are good at socializing. You should pick some things up automatically. Some people are naturally better at it than others.

Posted by Klarth

[QUOTE=EvilDeadGamer;624726]If its a girl, say nothing then all of a sudden say "umm...ah..i...uhh..like to drink urine...mixed with a little bit of blood in it." have a camera with you to take a picture of what her reaction is xD
xD!!!!!!!!!!! you are soooooo RANDOM!

Posted by Zac

you say heyyo chico i'm all about the women and i'm all about the gold

Posted by fates warning

Quoting Philsdad: This only works if you're attractive. It's weird, because girls will judge you and your intentions solely by your looks, no matter what you say. Case in point:

Suppose a hot guy complements a girl. The girl will think "aww, how sweet!" as you said. Now, what if a fat ugly guy gives the girl the same exact complements? Is it still sweet? Nope, now the guy is being a creepy stalker who has bad baaad intentions. Better take out the pepper spray. As far as we know, the attractive guy could just want to get into the girl's pants. And the ugly could have just been trying to be nice. But it doesn't matter, the girl will only perceive it the way I just described. Deny it all you want, everyone knows it's true.

yeah thats exactly right, so shadow what you do/say depends on if you are fat+ugly or not.

Posted by Shadow

So I see, thanks for the advice. I'll bring that into thought.

Posted by Fate

'Fraid it's true, son. I'm the same way.

Posted by Sable Wind

Yeah, it's true when hot guys on the internet tell me I'm nice/pretty, then I think it's sweet, but when ugly guys on the internet do it, then they're stalker creeps.

Er, yeah, I've never gotten a compliment from a man in real life.

Posted by Omni

What's a compliment? I don't know what that is.

Posted by Sable Wind

Oh, Omni! Your sense of humour is so edgy!

<3

Posted by Omni

Are you making fun of me? Is that what a compliment is? :(

Stop laughing at me!

Posted by Philsdad

Quoting Shadow: So I see, thanks for the advice. I'll bring that into thought.

It's true. See? Even several of the girls here confirmed it. Here, I'll make things a lot easier for you. http://www.bluesapphires.net/ This should help you out. Start saving!

Posted by Chiaroscuro

"Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?"