Star Ocean

Posted by Xenos

I just started playing this game awhile ago, and man am I addicted. :(

Its so much better than that ****ty grandchild of the series, SO3. Though I personally find the battle system and the systems in general to be a bit ... disorganized, nonetheless, it isn't a bad game. Though I was expecting something more sci-fi.

Posted by U.B.C.S. Nick

I liked End of time. Granted its the only star ocean game i have played but i liked it. Couldn't beat it without a guide though with made me an extra

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

I've got the third one but haven't played it yet. Guess I'll have to get on that sometime.

Posted by U.B.C.S. Nick

The problem with SO 3 is that half the time you don't know where to go or get past a certain puzzle...So you either have to spend hours guessing or look it up on the web.

Are there not clues? Now I am intrigued.

Posted by U.B.C.S. Nick

Yeah, its like someone will tell you to go to a place, which you will have to go through a dungeon to get there. But they don't mention that you need a certain item or items to get through so you run around in the dungeon for hours and then find out that you have to talk to someone near the entrance to the dungeon who tells you that you have to go to another dungeon to get the item you need to go through the other bloody dungeon...

Posted by Xenos

How could you stand sitting through all that dialogue for SO3? I am impressed.

Does it add to the story type dialogue or is it useless?

Posted by U.B.C.S. Nick

I wanted to see the ending...I did in the end...Two weeks later

Posted by S

I really disliked the third in the Star Ocean series. They reused the same dungeons later in the plot, made crappy cut-scenes, the dialogue was corny, and some of the characters just weren't believable. It seemed half-assed and not well thought out on the part of the designers.

I'd be up for trying the other Star Oceans though, I've heard many good things about the series - its just too bad TteoT had to spoil it.

Posted by Klarth

Star Ocean 2 is alright, 3 is lame. The first one is really quite good though!

Posted by U.B.C.S. Nick

What system is the first one on then?

Posted by EvilDeadGamer

one star ocean is for the SNES, ive never played it but i saw a rom for back when i used emulators, i dont anymore but...anyway, ive only played number 2, it was alright, didnt keep me interested long enough to beat it tho.

Posted by U.B.C.S. Nick

Right, the next time i'm at a boot sale or something i'll keep my eye out for it. That happens to me when i write, losing interest.

Posted by Iris

I've been looking for ROMs to play, and your review got me wanting to play it. Incredibly similar to ToP, but that's because it was under the same developers, right? There's many similarities between Star Ocean and ToP.

"Sylvalant?" wtf

Posted by Klarth

Quoting U.B.C.S. Nick: Right, the next time i'm at a boot sale or something i'll keep my eye out for it. That happens to me when i write, losing interest.

If you're talking about the SNES one, don't bother. It was only released in Japan and it's only available in English through a (very nicely done) hacked translation. I can hook you up with a pre-patched smc.

Iris - Star Ocean was developed by Quintet/Enix, Tales of Phantasia was Namco. You're not entirely off, though; quite a few of the ToP development team (including Yoshiharu Gotanda) left Namco and founded Tri-Ace - The Enix studio responsible for the Star Ocean and Valkyrie Profile games.

Posted by U.B.C.S. Nick

Thanks, but don't worry about it, i just read the plot so i know what happens.

Posted by Xenos

[quote=Angelwing;624096]Does it add to the story type dialogue or is it useless?

Not only it is useless, its annoying, and that is what gets to me.

Lunar and Co: Yes! You must try out SO1. The plot wasn't AMAZING, but its just a fun game.