How to fix an unstable connection?

Posted by avalanch

I'm using a toshiba pcx 2000 cable modem. The user guide says its max speed is 12 mbps for downloading, however I'm signed up through suddenlink (was with cox internet, but cox got bought out). And now every once in a while the connection just drops for like half a minute then reconnects. It's a pain in the *** when trying to play an online game or try to download something. Any idea on how to fix this?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Use a static IP? Might be the case that someone keeps being assigned yours.

Posted by avalanch

and just how would I set up a static ip?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Network connections > Your connection > Internet Protocol > Properties > Enter IP address IIRC

You might need to tell your ISP you're doing this, though.

Posted by avalanch

Well suddenlink people came over to check out the modem and a couple of things were listed as in the yellow zone!!! So they're going to give the results to some other suddenlink tech guy to check out whats going on with the cable connection outside the house. If I have to get a new modem oh well, if they can fix it to 4 mbps (the plan that I'm on offers 4 megs a second max speed) that would be better, cause right now it's getting like 50-80 Kilobytes a second!!!

Posted by muffla

get comcast

Posted by avalanch

I was with Comcast but suddenlink bought them out where I live at.

EDIT: they came over today and replaced the modem, it's gonna cost me 3 payments of 25 bucks though for it. This is the modem the gave to me:

[IMG]http://www.ambitbroadband.com/image/products/Products-Data.jpg[/IMG]
The Ambit U10C018 Data Cable Modem is the most compact design available in the market today measuring at under 5 inches long. The U10C018 supports the latest DOCSIS? 2.0 Specifications including A-TDMA/S-CDMA which provides far greater upstream capacity than ever before. Ambit's years of experience in providing broadband technologies to service providers along with over 10 million cable modems sold worldwide has helped to create a product specifically designed with the MSO in mind. Simplicity, support, and value are all key benefits of the Ambit U10C018 Cable Modem.