Open Invitation

Posted by KluE

So...I just had a thought...
Since the posting on this board is so sporadic, and battles just don't seem to get finished, I was thinking of trying something new. Just start an open storyline, where anyone who's serious can post, and add on to the story. Unconventional, and open-ended, so you can post whenever your feeling inspired, without the burden of being tied to a battle, so some of the people that can only manage to get on once a week or so, and have the urge to write something can come and post. It might be very simple, just a character that we can all use, and all mold to our own ends, and we can post to tell a story, start one, or add onto a different storyline... I was thinking of maybe telling the story of the battle of heaven and hell, but any suggestions are open, just something that we can all add on to, and something we can all have fun with when we have the urge to write something and don't have the proper medium to post it... Anyway, let me know what you all think, and if ya'll like it, I'll make another thread and start off the story, or if someone wants to start it off here, then go for it, because I know people here have the talent for it, and it could have the potential to help keep this board alive, and give us all our own stories.

Anyway, let me know what you guys think, how we should do it, and if its a good idea or not.

Posted by Chiaroscuro

We used to do this a lot, but moreso in the way that we'd have a sort of quest/adventure type of story and incorporate our characters into it, or toss together new ones to be used for the purpose. They were fun, yeah, but nowadays we'd be hard-pressed to get more than a handful of people to partake around here.

(Btw, sorry for the delay on our battle, I'm getting at it today as I've been tied up the past two nights. I did update with a profile, too; just haven't gotten around to my character's background story.)

Posted by PaintItBlack

something like that would be perfect for me, and it seems like that kind of organization would benefit the three or four people who would actually post. any more and it might get hectic if we're all heading in different directions with the story. im going away for a week and im trying to find time to write between the party that has been my summer

Posted by Chiaroscuro

Happy birthday.

Posted by KluE

Yea, that was my point in doing this Ace, for people like you who can only come on very sporadically, not enough to really support an entire battle, but enough to come on and post here when you feel the inspiration.

And as for what you were saying Nido, I had more the idea of just an open ended story, not an adventure with anyone's character, because that way there is no obligation for any one person to make the next post. Thats why I was just thinking we could all agree on a...maybe a single event, and we could tell the story from different points of view, because it can be a real simple event, but we can all tell a backstory from a different point of view, and that way we can be describing the same event with a completely different outlook and intonation in the writing, and it has the opportunity to become real interesting, how someone else interprets it, and the contrast from someone else's writing.

Plus, that way, we can all agree on a single event, and then when that even dies out, we can pick another one.

If I havent gotten the idea that im trying to make out there, I was thinking of something like the event being the devil's battle with ***, when he gets cast out of heaven, and you can write from the point of view of ***, the devil, a right hand man, or just a bystander angel who's forced into declaring an allegience, or we could use something like Brutus' betrayal of Ceasar, and everyone can write as a different senator, and make our own backstory of what actually happened.

Anyway, I just thought of that as a little more refined version of what I was originally thinking, because it would be easier, wouldnt require as much cooperation from everyone, and has less of a chance of dieing out because things get too complicated. let me know what ya'll think :-)

(No worries about the battle, just as long as you get to it eventually...just dont want another ghost thread of battles that dont get finished...this board seems to have enough of those already)