COD4 Beta - Exclusive to XBox!

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[URL]http://360.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=10760[/URL]

**** YEAH SEAKING

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

most anticipated game of 07/08? Jesus yes. So ****ing awesome.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

It needs to atone for the sin that was COD3. I EXPECT MASSIVE DELIVERY

IW isn't even acknowledging CoD3's existence. That's a **** fine start.

Posted by cool gamer dad

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: most anticipated game of 07/08? Jesus yes. So ****ing awesome.

Oh... that's when it's coming out? I thought you meant this year. ooooooohhh

Yeah dude, I'll be out of the house and actually making money by then, so I'm buying it the day of. DAY OF.

Quoted post: Oh... that's when it's coming out? I thought you meant this year. ooooooohhh

It comes out this year before November I believe. But I want it more than any announced 08 game.

Posted by cool gamer dad

I thought you meant 7/08. ;_;

geez no. Definitely this year and it's only a few months away. Being able to shoot through walls and ceilings, being able to drop a frag when you die for anti-teabag reasons, party system and match making? oh *** can't wait.

Posted by cool gamer dad

Yeah, November... I'll have a bunch of money by then because that's when by birthday is. 18 lol! So no worries.

Posted by Axis

I'm looking forward to this more than Halo 3. And I'm pretty **** sure it will be the overall better game.

Without a doubt. We've all already played Halo 3, and it was good... but it was Halo. Nothing that new or exciting, but ****, there's a lot of new additions to CoD4 that look fantastic.

oh, and apparently they've got more beta keys than third-parties are typically allowed. Good news since I don't want to be left out :(

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I'm looking forward to this post-death grenade thing. I love being able to cause havoc even after I've been owned.

I'll never use it. You only have three Perks and chances are you'll have to give up something way better just to stop someone from teabagging you.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

You know what? When you pull a grenade, in any game, you should have to have a two-step throwing control. One press to pull the pin, and one to throw, and maybe a hold of the trigger to do both at once. That way, if the pin is pulled and you die, you let go of the thing and it counts down anyway.

You can do that in CoD. If you're holding the button down when you die, it drops and explodes later. But you need to be holding it for that to happen. Rainbow Six Vegas does the same and a few other games out there. This just ensures that you drop it every single time, whether you had it in your hand or not.

Oh, well then that actually sucks. It's on your belt and arms itself? Ugh.

You know how in CS or whatever, you hit the grenade button and you're holding it in front of you? Click fire once to pull the pin. You still have it in in your hand and are compressing the trigger, so it's not going to go off, but if you die it will do, and if you switch weapon at that point it'll drop to the ground. Does any game do that?

Quoted post: Oh, well then that actually sucks. It's on your belt and arms itself? Ugh.

How's it suck? I think it's pretty hilarious actually. Kamikaze plus anti-teabag? Awesome.

But yeah I don't know of any games that do that. Not the "drop to the ground if you switch weapon" thing anyways.

It sucks because it doesn't make any sense. I guess if it's got some sort of heart-rate sensor explanation, then fine, but the whole thing about CoD4 is that it's current weaponry and technology and this just seems like an odd choice to me.

I wouldn't be too worried about realism in CoD4 multiplayer, considering 80% of the stuff you're going to see is far from realistic.

Posted by Y2kMISFIT

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: geez no. Definitely this year and it's only a few months away. Being able to shoot through walls and ceilings, being able to drop a frag when you die for anti-teabag reasons, party system and match making? oh *** can't wait.

ummm counter strike? nothing new there

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Y2kMISFIT;624882]ummm counter strike? nothing new there

Counter-Strike can't hold a flame to these graphics, baby!

CS kinda sucks anyways.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I just watched the video with the landing on the tanker. Shooting people in their sleep and killing drunks? DO WANT

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/achievements.php?gameID=377

Achievements. Looks like they're all plot-based.

Posted by Dexter

Looks like an easy 1000, which actually attracts point-driven players.

Yeah, I thought the drunk guy was a zombie at first and was all like "lol, this game rawks." Beta in August? Better get ready. Everyone get their 1000 points in CoD2 before its too late!

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I have the 180 from the Russian campaign, plus the 200 from playing on regular. I need to soldier on! lol geddit

Quoted post: Achievements. Looks like they're all plot-based.

not all I don't think. But they've been saying since they've announced the game that they really don't like online achievements and wouldn't include many if any at all. They wanted people without a live connection to get as many as they possible can while keeping multiplayer fans happy, and that's where challenges come into play. Rather than achievements, you get unlockables, gunships, airstrikes, etc.

I'm sorry, but what use does Gamerscore have offline?

Silver account get, which most 360 owners have I believe. Heck, believe it or not, people like achievements even if they can't play multiplayer games.

Good point.

Posted by Dexter

Of course they do. Some of us are perfectionist when it comes to certain games. Get all the hearts, the shines, cheats, etc.

There's a fairly substantial update on the CoD website about the beta. Basically lists all the maps, weapons, classes, perks, etc that'll be included in the beta. Also, looks like the beta keys will be distributed on the site only and you'll need to answer 3 trivia questions to get it. It's first come first serve to. But, there'll be a countdown apparently for when you can enter. Oh, and initially it's US only which is pretty lame, but it'll be opened to other regions shortly after I believe.

Posted by cool gamer dad

Recently, every time I log into XBL, I miss you by 5-10 minutes. :(

Glad I don't have to get 1000 in CoD2. Or do I?

You're typically away when I log on like a dick. What the hell?

But yeah, you do, buddy. it's not hard. I just went through Veteran again today, and really didn't have any trouble.

Posted by The Pain

Thank *** (or Buddah or... whatever) . I didnt even think there was gunna be a beta. I havent done alot of research on CoD4 but it looks fantastic. I cant wait for the beta!

Posted by cool gamer dad

I was thinking...

Since my Xbox is gonna be in for repairs, I'm most likely going to miss out on the beta. Sorrow.

Posted by Last Fog

[URL="http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/811/811393p1.html"]Four pages of new details about the multiplayer.[/URL]

Party system, friends in ranked matches, a huge selection of weapons and modifications, experience points and a detailed ranking system... Oh man is this going to be amazing.

I estimate COD4 to be approximately 356 times better than Halo 3.

Quoted post: Since my Xbox is gonna be in for repairs, I'm most likely going to miss out on the beta. Sorrow.

Supposedly it'll be an extended beta and go on as long as possible. So as long as keys are still being made as time goes on, you should still get in. Plus, the beta ain't coming out tomorrow, and maybe not even next week. So you got time.

And yeah, no doubt about it being better than Halo. ****, seeing the sniper in multi is ****ing badass.

Okay so what the hell are the answers to these three questions?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

... Questions?!

Never mind, found 'em.

Trivia questions to get into the beta. Do your own research. :D

Posted by Last Fog

Where are the questions?

Posted by Dexter

I've been searching without success. I see people on my buddy list playing and I WANT! Someone lead me into the right direction. :(

Posted by Last Fog

Woah woah woah... they are playing the beta?? On the site it says signups will start Monday.

F&F tokens are out, like you had with Halo.

Anywho, kinda sucks I have to wait until September. Though what the hell is Willeth talking about?

Posted by Last Fog

F&F tokens?

Friends and family.

Wait, my mistake. The first wave of tokens went out today around 6. The second wave is monday. US only of course.

Posted by Dexter

Yeah, I totally missed the first wave. I sent my email and answered the questions, but I must have been too late and I'm not even sure if that gets passed on into the 2nd wave. Oh well, I'll get it eventually. It was somehow difficult for me to play CoD2 knowing people on my list were playing 4.

No one on my list is playing it yet thankfully. Otherwise I'd be all :mad: Chances are though I won't even make it in, so I'll just have to wait until November.

Posted by Dexter

I wouldn't even mind waiting until then. Part of me wants the whole package at once. Maybe we should wait together, although it is difficult to resist.

I was thinking the same thing... but good lord, when I see it open to Canada, I don't think I'll be able to help myself. Plus, it's not like it'll give us any advantage that we don't already have, really.

Basically there was a list of three trivia questions that you had to answer, and the first few to get them right got a beta invite. But it only lasted a day.

Since when did you move to the US anyways?

Posted by Last Fog

Tell me the questions if you remember them so I'll be prepared for next time, assuming they stay the same. :D

Research it yourself, lazy.

Quoted post: Tell me the questions if you remember them so I'll be prepared for next time, assuming they stay the same.

Two buttons questions and then I can't remember the other one. Dex told me and I just remember it being really easy. Apparently you didn't even have to get them right.

Posted by Dexter

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Plus, it's not like it'll give us any advantage that we don't already have, really.

Yeah, apart from knowing the 3 levels, which doesn't take that long anyway.

And the other question was about the level cap and they took several different answers as being correct. Level 20 or rank 11. They were loose about the answers. One of my friends got in while guessing the button questions. I think it was more of a first come first serve instead of a trivia.

Yeah, after all, they'd have to read every single email... and I can guarantee there were many, many emails. Also, from watching videos alone, I think I know all of the maps by heart =3

Posted by Dexter

You've always been such a screen-watcher! :mad:

Is it true that everyone who is in gets a few tokens so they can invite a few of their friends? I'm pretty sure I saw that somewhere and one of my friends said a friend got him in so it seems to connect.

Don't think so. I know the site has a "Invite a Friend" area, but according to IW that has nothing to do with the beta.

Posted by Last Fog

So uh... anybody in?

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

It's not available to Canadians yet that I know of, so no. But I have a few people on my friends list that are playing. Constantly.

Posted by Dexter

I'm still not in. Everyone on my friends list who got in have not left the game since.

I've played it at least, most of today actually. There's a few balancing issues needed in terms of the weapons they give you. The M21 sniper is really unbalanced, the M4 is easily the best AR, the ACOG scope is terrible, and the knife is almost like spawning the a Halo 2 sword. Not that I'm complaining, but those are noticeable problems. The maps are great though. But the spawning system is the same from CoD2 so you're going to get shot off your spawn. Also, the streaks need to be changed. It's a tad too easy to get an airstrike.

Posted by Last Fog

How's the M16 :D

It's okay... The M4 is clearly better though.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

The M4 is the best gun in every series it appears in. Queer.

It's not the best gun, the M21 is, but it's the best non-sniper.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Just played for an hour or so on the Beta, and I'm loving it. I actually feel like I'm engaged in armed combat - ducking into camouflage, sprinting between cover and stuff. Nothing cooler than hearing and an airstrike beginning overhead and watching everyone run inside. It feels almost exactly like COD2, yet somehow... better. Even some of the sound effects and HUD displays make a comeback.

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire]Also, the streaks need to be changed. It's a tad too easy to get an airstrike.

Pretty much. I got three on my very first game, but that's probably because I was playing with 12 year olds. There was also a match that was being dominated by a guy running around in a helicopter all the time.

Ugh, I still don't have my code. Are Eurogamer being discriminated against or something?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=WILLETH FOR MONTHS;745860]Ugh, I still don't have my code. Are Eurogamer being discriminated against or something?
idk, I applied to Eurogamer on Friday and Gamespot last night, and received a code this afternoon. My friend got his today, and he only used Eurogamer.

I used Eurogamer and Gamespot and got a code from both. If you don't get yours by tomorrow I can give you my extra I guess.

Speaking of airstrikes and whatnot, I really like how it doesn't feel unbalanced. The range is fairly limited and you know when it coming thanks to the map, and the helicopter is fairly easy to take down with a well place RPG and some follow-up rifle fire. Still, though five kills for the airstrike seems too soon. Seven is better, then ten for the helicopter sounds good to me.

I like how Gamespot won't let me edit in my gamertag therefore not letting me sign up for a code. Guess I could always make a new account. Meh.

Turns out I'm still pretty awwight at this game. 1077 kills to 500 deaths. 2.11 ratio weeeeeeeeeeeee

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Angelwing;746063]I like how Gamespot won't let me edit in my gamertag therefore not letting me sign up for a code. Guess I could always make a new account. Meh.
Huh? It let me edit in my gamertag and stuff.
[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;746132]Turns out I'm still pretty awwight at this game. 1077 kills to 500 deaths. 2.11 ratio weeeeeeeeeeeee
I have 1.59, and I've won 2 matches and lost 5.

All the matches I lost were because my team sucks. It's kinda funny to see myself at 30 and 10 and my team at 5 and 16, 2 and 10, etc. Still won quite a bit more than I lost I think... idk.

But yeah, the gamespot thing, it should let you change it. It did me. In fact, I tried to get a token when I didn't even have it edited it, and from there it sent me to my preferences to change it.

All the fields were shaded out for me and nothing I did helped to change that.

Huh, no reason for that to be.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Do you get promoted immediately for completing a weapon challenge? Halfway through a match I became a Colonel when I reached the AK47's second challenge, then got promoted when I won the match. Word.

No. Some challenges don't give you enough points to be fully promoted. And why are you using the AK? Not only is the M16 better, but you should have the M4 by now.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Which one is the the M16? If it's the burst-fire rifle, no thanks. I need one more level to get the M4, anyway.

What's wrong with that? It's a pretty beastly gun, and most are only effective by bursting anyways.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

It's good on Overgrown, but not so hot on Crash. AK47 is a nice medium-range weapon that feels a lot like the M4. I'll stick with it, I've only got 1/2 a bar to go anyway.

AK reminds me of a ****tier LMG rather than the M4. If only because it's as inaccurate. Though I gotta say, the LMGs in this game are pretty sweet.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Yeah, so, it's actually pretty easy to kick *** in this game. A lot of people seem to pause for a couple of moments before opening fire. I even had the balls to run up and stab a guy once because he was switching from his pistol. The perk that lets you die slowly on the floor and shoot at people is great.

So I've got it. Hit me up for some game in which I suck.

Quoted post: The perk that lets you die slowly on the floor and shoot at people is great.

I never use it. Very rarely does it help, and you have to give up Deep Impact for it which is easily one of the most useful perks. Even if I have a shotgun or SMG I don't even use it.

All right, so wings, X and myself need to get some games going.

I also have a spare key now, so yeah.

Posted by Last Fog

Everyone likes the M4, I think the M16 is so much better. Best weapon in the game. It's got mad range, and with stopping power you can down someone usually with one burst.

Hey guys you wanna make a VGC clan we'll be soo good lol

Quoted post: Best weapon in the game.

No it's not. The M4 is so unbalanced that it's the best. Without a doubt.

Posted by Last Fog

It's probably better rounded, the M16 ain't that good when you run into someone at close range. But I love picking people off across a map when they can barely hit me.

idk, I have no problem doing that with an M4...

Posted by Last Fog

Ok it's better I just wanna use the m16 so **** you

Posted by MottaTheHutt

RPD + Acog Scope = pwnage

k, so I was totally using the M16 all today... and it's better. You win, Fog. Plus, I went 20 and 0 with it so I'm happy.

Posted by cool gamer dad

It's the MTAR vs. FAMAS argument all over again.

Except these guns are actually different. On one hand the M16 is 3-round burst only, but it's more powerful and has better range and accuracy. On the other hand the M4 is fully auto and has a good rate of fire.

It helps that the stats are real.

Posted by MottaTheHutt

I prefer the RPD because it has a large ammount of ammo, decent rate of fire, and a good deal of damage. Also, you can take down a helicopter in less than one clip.
The main drawback is it kicks a lot. Which isn't a problem if you hit your target the first time you shoot at it.

you mean 100 rounds isn't big enough for you? I just like the SAW because the rate of fire is crazy.

Posted by MottaTheHutt

Honestly, I've never tried the SAW. I usually stick with the M4 or the semi-auto sniper.

Ugh, can't use the M21. Though slapping a ACOG on it is pretty fun.

Posted by Xeones

wish i would have known about this a hell of a lot sooner so i could have acquired the beta. not having the internet for an extended period of time sucks in some ways

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I'm pretty sure you can get still get a pass.

Got my M4. It's not effective without a scope on it, but my COD2 experience means I can still work with iron sights. Has anyone noticed that new modes are being added almost every day? The new random team deathmatch feature makes it a lot easier for me to get a game.

Every day? Not really. Pickup games were added a couple days ago and those were the first ones since the beta came out.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Hmmm, maybe it's different in the UK, but they definitely updated the match roster twice here.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

COD4 achievements have been revised - turns out you gotta play on Veteran after all.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/achievements.php?gameID=377

Posted by Kit

Got the Beta the other day, haven't hit rank 16 yet, but I've only played it twice and I'm rank 8. I use the mp5.

Posted by Dexter

It doesn't take long at all to get to 16. Not a big deal.

Quoted post: turns out you gotta play on Veteran after all.

****!

Yeah, saw these awhile ago. Should be frustratingly fun.

Oh, and the cap is being raised on the 28th to Level 25 and the beta ends two days later on the 30th. Sucks.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Veteran isn't all that hard once you get used to it, but if you get into a bad checkpoint... It can be soul-breaking.

There was really only three difficult missions, but they got frustrating if you didn't have a tactic in mind.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Easiest thing to do was use the in-out trick so your teammates could storm houses. COD2 Veteran would have been pretty straightforward if it wasn't for infinite respawns.

Yeah, that was the key. Now if you could do that for upstairs... oh man, cake walk.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Britisch Truppe! Britisch Truppe! Es ist eine Handgranate!

even the german trooper quotes are ingrained in my soul

Isn't the ending date for the beta later for Europeans?

also, beta later rhymes

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

It's kinda gotten old for me anyway. I don't have anyone to play it with most of the time.

Quoted post: also, beta later rhymes

No it doesn't. And it ends on the 30th, that's the only given date.

But yeah, if I didn't have a couple people to always play with I would've stopped playing awhile ago.

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: No it doesn't.

Except for the fact that it totally does.

Posted by Last Fog

It only rhymes if you're British.

Yeah, sorry, dude. There's an r in later.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

It only rhymes if you talk like a gangsta.

Posted by Dexter

Did anyone here even make it through Call of Duty 3 on veteran? I didn't. It was horrible! I'm sure I will for 4 though.

I almost want to play CoD3 just to see how horrible it is.

I didn't get through veteran. I can't count how many times I got shot though the wall. I can understand having enemies respawn, increasing accuracy, making them only shoot you, throwing tens of grenades and just being ****ing *****es, but when the AI literally cheats to the point where it's not even fun? Terrible. Pathetic.

Posted by Dexter

I got as far as the factory where you have to put a sticky on a tank and hope the respawning enemies don't spawn fast enough to shoot you down.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

In CO2, putting a sticky on the tank at the end of the British campaign's last mission was one of the hardest parts for me. No smokes, no frags, no ammo for my Thompson or Enfield, and a checkpoint where I could die instantly if I wasn't holding down fire as soon as I spawned.

I hope all tank demolition in COD4 is done with RPGs.

Seems to be. Since the give you the Lancer in the Bog.

Though, for some reason I didn't have a problem with putting any charges on the tank. I just ****ing ran straight there running, jumping and going prone. Didn't even get dropped once.

Though I also sat in the back corner of a room that was guarded by a friendly who was invincible... so even if I did die I was cool. :)