Cloverfield *Spoilers*

Posted by veritas

Yea I saw Transformers today and one of the trailers was about a movie which had no title. What happened was there was someone videotaping a party of this guy named Rob leaving for japan. Then this "earthquake" occurs. They go on top of the roof and theres a huge fireball and you can hear this monster screaming or something. It ended and it didnt give the title. I think they said it was coming out in January. Anyone know what the movie is? I thought it was ***zilla maybe.

Posted by Echo

It's code named [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloverfield]Cloverfield[/url].

Posted by veritas

Oooo It must be good if it has a code name.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

It's getting way more hype than it deserves at this point. But hey, guess Abrams and his team are marketing geniuses because they effectively showed absolutely nothing, not even a title, and people are ****ing excited as hell for it.

Posted by veritas

Whats the thing thats causing everything though?

exactly my point, no one knows. Besides what they showed in the teaser--it'll all be recorded from the ground using hand-held cameras, there's a massive monster, it's in new york--we know nothing else.

Posted by Ant

sounds sucky.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: It's getting way more hype than it deserves at this point. But hey, guess Abrams and his team are marketing geniuses because they effectively showed absolutely nothing, not even a title, and people are ****ing excited as hell for it.

Dont confuse excitment for curiosity.

Posted by Klarth

GOJIRA!

Posted by muffla

A new ***zilla would be cool but they wouldent have it commin form space, the would prob have it hatch from that egg in ***zilla 2000, unless the space thing was mechazilla or sumthin. anyways i heard that this movie was about a giant robot. (sry no sorces guy from work)

Posted by s0ul

The way you capitalized the thread title made me think this was "Weird Movie." As in, from the makers of Epic, Scary, and Date Movie. Needless to say, I already had the traditional angry-aneurism before I realized I was wrong. :(

Posted by Ant

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/11808/

what the **** is this all about?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Call of the Clthulu.

You didn't go to the panel at COMIC-CON?

Posted by Ant

Oh? No, it was on a different day then I was there I guess :/

Posted by muffla

statue of liberty got pwnd

Quoted post: Call of the Clthulu.

We don't know that for sure, right? He didn't reveal anything at Comic-Con as far as I know.

It's still Cloverfield and there's already a thread on this. In which you posted in, ant.

Posted by Ant

You expect me to remember back 20 days? f[COLOR="Lime"]u[/COLOR]ck you.

Nah, just thought it was funny.

Posted by Moogs

You know, in the poster. It does look as if something is coming from the water

Posted by G-Sides

it's not cthulu or ***zilla :/ abrams already said it was going to be a completely new monster.

Posted by Phantasm

Found out about this movie today. I could only compare that monster with a pok

Posted by Tyler Durden

There is nothing to be known about this film. All crew and cast have been sworn to total secrecy under contract. As for the camera crew, we have about 200 or so extras equipped with little more than your average digital camcorder. It's completely unscripted, other than the cast knowing it's a "monster flick". So I'm guessing most of those extras are Union stuntmen/stuntwomen? The special effects is the only noted action on script.. I've actually been following this film since I viewed the trailer before Transformers. Just too lazy to go back and re-find my sources for posting. Kiss my *** fanboys.

Posted by Fate

I liked it.

Posted by The Judge

I enjoyed it, personally.

Posted by Echo

It did what it did very well. It wasn't even really a movie, though. It was a 90 minute trailer for a sequel. Granted, it was the greatest trailer ever made, and was extremely enjoyable and fun to watch, but I just left thinking "Oh wow, I can't wait until they make a real movie about that!".

Too much was left up in the air. It was a good watch, though.

Posted by Anti-Muffla

Quoting Echo: It was a 90 minute trailer for a sequel. Granted, it was the greatest trailer ever made, and was extremely enjoyable and fun to watch, but I just left thinking "Oh wow, I can't wait until they make a real movie about that!".

That is exactly how I felt about it!

Posted by Moogs

I liked it actually.

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

Followed the ARG, figured it wouldn't live up to the hype, it did, and then some. This will probably tithe me over as far as ARGs and viral marketing go until the next part of the NIN ARG starts back up again.

I guess that was sort of redundant but whatever, CLOVEFIELD WAS AWESOME

Posted by Richaod

I liked the intensity and first-person perspective of the movie. Disliked the lack of a real plot and somewhat stupid characters. I generally find viral marketing more interesting than the product itself. :P

Also wtf was with the Zerglings?

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

that noise they made was so ****ing retarded but i loved it.

rofl i just remembered the flaming hobo line

anyway from what everyone in the ARG has come to decide is that the little zerglings are more or less shooting people up with the main ingredient of Slusho, which makes you grow, like the baby monster tearing up **** in the city, here's a better quote:

"Slusho is a very addictive drink, with signs of steroid drug like effects. Makes people stronger, constantly happy, have happy dreams and finally... "SLUSHO makes my stomach explode with happy!!" (Remember Marlena's stomach?)"

:(

Quoted post: It did what it did very well. It wasn't even really a movie, though. It was a 90 minute trailer for a sequel. Granted, it was the greatest trailer ever made, and was extremely enjoyable and fun to watch, but I just left thinking "Oh wow, I can't wait until they make a real movie about that!".

Too much was left up in the air. It was a good watch, though.

Pretty much confirmed that a sequel will revolve around the same attack but with a bit more backstory. Like, in the movie you can see (what's assumed to be a satellite) crash into the ocean during the Conney Island scenes. Though I didn't even notice it until I saw it again last night and actually knew what I was looking for.

Anywho, pretty awesome movie. I ended up arguing with my friend which was better, Cloverfield or the Host. I said the former just because I found it more exciting. Though the Host's black comedy was pretty refreshing.

Posted by The Heir Apparent

It was 73 minutes long without credits. The first 18 minutes sucked ***. The rest...?

Not bad. Good way to kill an hour I guess.

First 18 minutes were awesome for the party mix.

Posted by Bebop

Crap film is crap. Worth watching to see the style. But it's an experiment that worked better on paper than film. A teen romance drama with a monster.

It really wasn't a romance in any sense. It was just a way to make the characters stay for as long as they could within the city. It was forgettable for a reason, it was just a plot-device.

Posted by Bebop

I know it was a plot device. It was still crap.

What else could they've done? Only reason someone would even consider staying behind is if they were part of the military or worried about a loved-one's safety.

Posted by Bebop

The only thing worse than a ****ty plot device is having one for the sake of it. It could have worked better if done differently. It could have been a pure surival thing. Rather than focus on the fear and disaster of the situation the filmmakers wanted the audience too care about the reunion of high school sweet hearts. I want to see a monster eat people and ruin ****. Not a couple have an arugment. It was basically like an episode of the OC. Except that there was a monster every now and again.

I didnt feel for the characters at all. I honestly didnt care if any of them survived or not which boiled down to the writing. Nothing really happened. The subway tunnel chase was as exciting as it got and even that barely moved me in any sense except close to the exit. I was right there at the heart of the action and I didnt care and I certainly wasnt entertained. Thats pretty failage.

It never caught me off guard or suprised me. The only cool thing was when that ***** exploded. Shame the parasites were short lived. Seeing as that was the most exciting thing would have been nicer to have more. Especially in a monster flick

Yeah, I know what you mean. I just lower my expectations whenever I go see a movie. I want to enjoy spending my ten dollars, and I'm not going to let unrealistic expectations get in the way of that. And really, that's what it is. I can only think of the Host as being the only monster movie where I cared about the people involved, and even then it was barely there. In Cloverfield, I honestly don't recall the boy-girl love thing that much, I just ignored it and enjoyed seeing a couple of kids jump from one building to another with a massive monster right outside. It's ridiculous to begin with, so whatever.

Plus, the survival thing would be even more ridiculous if you asked me. New York is huge, the monster... not so much. You'd have to assume the logical reasoning would be to move away from the monster, which wouldn't be too hard to accomplish in such a large city, so survival should be relatively easy. And let's face it, you won't see much excitement if you run away from the monster. This plot device, though ****ty, gives them a reason to move towards it.

I don't know, on one hand I completely agree with you, on the other I just think all the other options would've ended up more disappointing.

Posted by Bebop

Surival thing could have worked. Lets say the bridges are destroyed and the only way to exit is on the other side of the city (perhaps evactuation) but monster blocks your way so is the obstactle. Parasites keep you moving forward. Monster fights army and ruins buildings so safety is at constant threat It was more than possible to make it more tense and suspensful. Shame it wasn't. An interesting take on the genre but it takes more than a different angle to be good.

Yeah, guess that'd work to a degree. But then I couldn't help but thinking "why not just lock yourself up?" There's only so much a handful of parasites can do, and if you hide underground there's really not too much of a threat of buildings. At least with the love angle there's some vague motivation driving the character forward rather than hiding, even though they had a few good opportunities to do just that.

Posted by Dr. Rockso

i thought it was good, i dont get why at the end the jets flew over them when the monster was behind them...

Posted by Bebop

With my example the parasites could have been beefed up to make hiding pointless. Such as them mutating and becoming stronger (eggs could have been layed in the subway ala ***zilla) able to seek out and devour sitting ducks. It would have been very easy to make the motive for constant moving more beleiveable and entertaining. For ***s sake there was a gigantic monster trashing the city and the occasional parasite hungry for flesh but they were never hunted. We saw, what, 1 person get bitten? The presence of the monsters was downplayed which I blame on the focus between the reunion of the 2 characters.

Spoilers:[spoiler]Going back to save someone is a fine plot device by itself films from horros to war films, but in Cloverfield it felt very forced and cringe worthy. Especially when they die at the end screaming "I love you" to one another. Run of the mill ROMCOMs arent even that awful.

Also the main characters determination to reach Beth made me hate him, because he seemed so uncaring when his friends, and own brother, died before his very eyes. I felt he didn't deserve to succeed because of that. His other chums shared the same flaws. I never felt they actually deserved to live. Whatever realtionship that was presenting and built up during the open seemed to go flying out the window when happy go monster woke up.[/spoiler]

Posted by The Judge

Sounds like Bebop should just sit out at any movie that comes out, as there don't seem to be many that meet his standards.

Posted by Bebop

Sorry I'm not easily impressed. Would me renting "Meet the Spartans" make you feel you better? :c

Posted by Ant

It'd make ME feel better.

Now leave my friend alone.

Posted by Bebop

My dad can beat up your dad.

Quoted post: i thought it was good, i dont get why at the end the jets flew over them when the monster was behind them...

So they could bomb it?

Quoted post: With my example the parasites could have been beefed up to make hiding pointless. Such as them mutating and becoming stronger (eggs could have been layed in the subway ala ***zilla) able to seek out and devour sitting ducks. It would have been very easy to make the motive for constant moving more beleiveable and entertaining. For ***s sake there was a gigantic monster trashing the city and the occasional parasite hungry for flesh but they were never hunted. We saw, what, 1 person get bitten? The presence of the monsters was downplayed which I blame on the focus between the reunion of the 2 characters.

We saw the army and various reporters get attacked by the parasites when they first dropped. Just no one else other than the one girl because it was always from their perspective. But clearly there were multiple cases of it because they already knew of a virus or infection and had a team ready to take the girl away at the drop of a hat. So they were still obviously a threat, we just couldn't see how big of one because of the perspective. Plus, personally, I like the idea of parasites that flake off from the monster more than eggs. And if they were truly a stronger, beefed up version, wouldn't they be massively ****ed no matter what? At least they were able to defend themselves. It'd be ****ing annoying to see them constantly running. It'd almost be a slasher film, just with bugs (or another Eight Legged Freaks...)

Quoted post: Spoilers:Going back to save someone is a fine plot device by itself films from horros to war films, but in Cloverfield it felt very forced and cringe worthy. Especially when they die at the end screaming "I love you" to one another. Run of the mill ROMCOMs arent even that awful.

Also the main characters determination to reach Beth made me hate him, because he seemed so uncaring when his friends, and own brother, died before his very eyes.

It was definitely cringe worthy, I won't argue that. But the main character was completely vacant, more or less. He seemed to be on a different planet after he found out the girl was trapped, and then even more so after his brother died, though not uncaring towards his friends. How many times did he tell them to **** off and get to safety? It's not like he completely ignored their safety. It was their choice to go with him and they died because of it.

Posted by Bebop

Eggs was just an example. I prefer them flaking off. Cloverfield was an original take and I give credit where it's due. They exectued the style they were going for perfectly and for doing something daring you really have to salute that. But problem was that it sacrificed alot of film techniques so it could use it's style. Always a dangerous, easy trap to fall into when being experimental in mainstream films. It takes more than being different to be good.

Although we did see parasites attacking during news footage it still didn't do much for me. By completely putting the audience in the shoes of the video camera it made me see the parasites but not believe in them if that makes sense. Bad film making 101 is telling your audience to believe something, instead of convinving them. Thats what seperates good horrors from bad. I was too isolated from the threat to understand it, and in films a basic understanding + enough room for audiences imagination = success. It wouldnt have needed much more to convince me. Perhaps another encounter with the parasites (the lone ranger in the building was daft as I had been led to believe parasites don't operate solo. There is a difference between mystery and not having clarifaction) or seeing parasites invade the temp hospital, or fight the army, or attack near the evactuation.

He was caring to his friends when he told them to go but that type of thing happens all the time in films like this. "Go on without me!" "No!" "lol ok come with it will be jokes".
What I meant was that his reaction to the his friends outcome was not believable. Granted he could have been dumbstruck but that didnt seem the case. At most his brother got a 30 second mourning and it was like he never had one in the first place. For a film that was trying to capture reality in an unrealistic scenario it barely touched on human behaviour in panic ridden situtations. Especially one where a monster is out for a midnight walk. I'm glad it didn't go for the Blair Witch 'shake the camera and swear as much as possible' approach but a bit of melodrama could have helped.

I guess that was my biggest problem with Cloverfield. At times the script seemed to be more suited to a big action, mankind kicking *** film rather than this document feel. Such as in the Subway when they joke about saying they'll die no matter what they do. That type of conversation always pops up in high concept titles so having it passed off as incidental conversation with their reactions in something like this just seemed out of place. The behaviour of the characters seemed to contradict alot of the time (a horror faux pas)and they would often go from real to plastic. I never felt I knew these people even though I knew about them.

I don't know, I was fine understanding the threat for what it was. I don't think you were supposed to completely "get it." The way it was was far more effective because no one really had a clue what was going on or anything about the monster. For all we know the parasites don't travel in packs, or that one got separated or who knows what. It works because you don't know. And having the parasites attack the hospital would've been lame. I mean, we don't know how many the monster released, what their purpose was, if it controlled them to any degree or whatever. Who knows. And I think leaving those questions unanswered works. It's like real world tragedies, ie 9/11, not all questions are answered within the first hour.

Quoted post: What I meant was that his reaction to the his friends outcome was not believable. Granted he could have been dumbstruck but that didnt seem the case. At most his brother got a 30 second mourning and it was like he never had one in the first place.

He seemed pretty dumstruck to me. **** like that doesn't sink in right away, so his reaction was pretty believable. I mean, he'd pretty much be ****ed if he just sat there and cried the whole time. There'd be too much panic and adrenaline to properly cope with it and understand that someone actually died. Even in a regular situation you don't react to it like you'd really expect. And him and his brother never really seemed that close to begin with, if the beginning of the film was any indication.

As for the rest of the characters, how are you supposed to know them? It's a 70 minute tape, right? Though what they give you is more than enough to work with. You get the relationships, you get their personalities and so on and so on. The writing also seemed okay to me too. Not oscar worthy, but it IS a monster movie. So I think your expectations were unrealistic in that case.

Posted by Bebop

To be suprised or have a successful open end the audience needs to have a basic understanding of something. Thats how you make mystery otherwise its a case of making up random **** as you go along. I knew answers werent going to be given, and I wasnt expecting them to, but it was far too incoherent for me. I never felt suprised, moved or shocked at the outcome of anything because I never had reason too. It relied too heavily of the audience convincing themselves, which I've already said is a bad idea. For that reason it never had me on the edge of the seat.

There needed more melodrama. Just a sprinkle of it. I didn't find their behaviour believable quite frankly. The characters seemed to calm and collected for my liking. Hell they were joking most of the time.

By 'know them' I don't mean know what their favorite colour is or how they like their steaks. By know I mean relate to. Like them. ****ing care about the characters. They had the 'flashbacks' to Beth and whatshis name, and the party was the best way they could get the audience on the side of the characters but it just fell flat on it's face for me. It failed to get me on their side plain and simple. I knew that they loved each other, that whos who and who likes who and who hates who and how long theyve known each other etc etc etc but I didn't relate. Thats what I meant by I knew them but I didnt know them.

Writing was fine, except for the occasional cheesey bit that seemed to fit better in a different film. It is a monster flick, yes, but if the whole point of Cloverfield was to be a different take it's a shame they relied heavily on monster flick conventions. Made the style seem more like a gimmick because of this.

I didn't have unrealistic expecations. I didn't have expectations. I went in knowing it was going to be different, and that I was seeing it to see how different it was. I went in with the ideal mind set Cloverfield would have wanted. Too bad for them I left with a different one.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Think of this movie on the lines of AVP.

Best story ever? No.

Fun to watch? Yes.

While still not as good as AVP, I enjoyed myself with it. Good story or not. And really, that's what counts. I don't need every movie I see to be a timeless masterpiece. I just need it to be enjoyable and fun for what it is.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Sapphire Rose: Think of this movie on the lines of AVP.

Fun to watch? Yes.

You've lost me already.

I loved the Lost refrence at the start of the film. J.J. loves hiding little clues like the falling satelitte at the end, which I missed the first time. Might be worth a re-watch to pick up clues for the sequel. Assuming they are actually there of course.

Quoted post: but it was far too incoherent for me.

Incoherent? It was so basic and pretty much all laid out there. For the style it was going for, how much can you learn or gather? The whole point is that it's just a video tape they found. I personally MUCH prefer that over any other style. Yeah, you won't get the same story telling or the same plot progression or as much information, but who cares? The current state of movies is pretty abysmal. At this point I'd rather have great style over substance, since the usual substance is, uh, pretty weak. But that's just my opinion, obviously. Like I said, I went in knowing it was a monster movie, and it actually ended up being the best monster movie.

Quoted post: By know I mean relate to. Like them. ****ing care about the characters.

Like you know, it was a sacrifice for the style. And this is really where our two opinions differ and we'll never agree upon. I just... can't see the character development being any better, even if they DID focus more on the characters. Sad, but that's how it would've turned out anyways.

Quoted post: but if the whole point of Cloverfield was to be a different take it's a shame they relied heavily on monster flick conventions.

I'm glad they relied on the conventions though... there's so few huge, successful, hollywood monster movies (***zilla 2000 is it I think...) that it's not so much a bad thing... It hasn't gotten to the point of a slasher or a horror film yet in my opinion, so it's not so bad. And its different take was the camera and the "doctumentary"-ish style. It was, clearly, never meant to be anything more.

Either way, you KNOW Cloverfield 2 is coming out. We're practically guaranteed to get more information from that movie. Will it be better? Maybe, maybe not. I hope it is because I have higher expectations now, but as for Cloverfield it was good for what it was. I felt it was a refreshing experience for the pretty sad genre of monster movies. Of course, we'll likely never agree on this point.

Posted by Skitzo Control

Did anybody else feel like they were watching The Blair Witch Project?:(

No.

Posted by Tyler Durden

Monster revealed.. ?

[youtube=X0_cCM2y38Q&rel]X0_cCM2y38Q&rel[/youtube]

And, for comparison..
[IMG]http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2007/07/26/cloverfield-poster.jpg[/IMG]

Posted by Bebop

Holy **** that looks exactly like the monster.[/sarcasm]

Posted by Xero

The monster had a rather flat face. What they're showing on the poster doesn't really look like it.

Posted by Tyler Durden

I know, Chris.

It's just another bull**** Youtuber's conspiracy theory.

Seriously, just Google "Cloverfield, monster". There's almost a cult following to idiots claiming to reveal the monster within the launch posters.

Exhibit B:
[IMG]http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2007/08/30/images/monster.jpg[/IMG]
Lame..

Exhibit C:
[IMG]http://www.rpgsite.net/images/screens/6/sin.jpg[/IMG]
Face..

Exhibit D:
[IMG]http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/8604/1195555256323kx5.jpg[/IMG]
The internets lie!

[IMG]http://dougbot.com/forum/cloverfieldPart2B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.theloungemagazine.com/page16/files/page16_blog_entry50_2.jpg[/IMG]

Posted by Xero

Yeah I did google search it after having seen the movie, but all I got were drawings of a sea creture with a bunch of tentacles and weird parts that didn't look AT ALL like the monster in Cloverfield. Like you said, they're idiots for even trying.

Um, that whale looking creature is actually from Final Fantasy. That last creature is also from a video game I believe.

Posted by Tyler Durden

Face it V', the internet has lied to us.

Posted by Xero

The internet is filled with lies.

Quoted post: Face it V', the internet has lied to us.

Correction: The internet is full of retards that repeat the idiocy of others as fact.

Posted by The Judge

HERE

Posted by Xero

Now THAT looks exactly like it. Where did you find it?

Internet. It was floating around multiple sites awhile before the movie hit.