RE Umbrella Chronicles - New trailer

Posted by Klarth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZrJK6AAFro

This game is pretty much a must-buy for me.

Posted by Ant

Looks pretty good, but I'm still not sold on the gameplay. If it's long enough and plays well enough, then I'll give it a try.

Posted by Klarth

Oh, and more confirmed details, too...

There are five scenarios - One each from Resi 0, 1, 2 and 3, and one completely original scenario seemingly with Wesker as the protagonist.

Each scenario has multiple paths.

There's co-op multiplayer.

Each scenario will apparently last half an hour at full length.

Posted by Zeta

I've never been a big fan of rail shooters, but this looks pretty cool.

Posted by Klarth

It's not totally on-rails. Nunchuk controls where you're looking.

Movement, though... Yeah.

Posted by WillisGreeny

I hope the new setup isn't too different from previous Resident Evil games. I like the aim and fire mechanics with the wii-mote, but the camera veiw always being infront of the character is what I'm worried about. All the other Reisdent Evil games had camera veiws from all over the place looking in towards the character, giving more angles for zombies (or anything really) to pop out from different angles then scare the hell out of ya. I just hope they didn't change the formula too much to add in a use for the Wii mote.

(see, I can make serious posts too)

Posted by Echo

I've never been a huge RE fan, and I have always particularly disliked on-rail shooters, so I'll probably pass this one up. I'll keep an eye on it, though.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Light-gun shooters are dead, the genre currently sucks because there's been no good games in a long time. However... this one looks pretty awwight. Hopefully it turns out better than the last RE light-gun attempt.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting WillisGreeny: I hope the new setup isn't too different from previous Resident Evil games. I like the aim and fire mechanics with the wii-mote, but the camera veiw always being infront of the character is what I'm worried about. All the other Reisdent Evil games had camera veiws from all over the place looking in towards the character, giving more angles for zombies (or anything really) to pop out from different angles then scare the hell out of ya. I just hope they didn't change the formula too much to add in a use for the Wii mote.
Er, it's totally different. Not even the same genre. RE games 0 through 3 were all survival horror with pre-rendered environments. This is a light gun shooter. No similarities whatsoever.

[quote](see, I can make serious posts too)

Badly, apparently.

Posted by WillisGreeny

I see, I was thinking it was like the next installment after RE 4, so I was a lil worried. I feel much better now.

Posted by U.B.C.S. Nick

Do you think they will put on a mercenary mini-game or something close to that on it like in the older titles? It would be a good follow-through; first it was classic, then it was over the shoulder, then finally first person. I'm looking forward to this more then Resi-Evil 5.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Snibits from IGN

"Chronicles won't be entirely new to those who've played through the survival horror franchise's many offerings because it takes you back into the mansion, on board the train, and into the police station before you finally get to Umbrella's stronghold. And did we mention that this is an on-rails shooter? "

"Kawata is promising that the title will run between 15 and 20 hours long and while many of the environments will look familiar -- you'll play through portions of Resident Evil 0, 1, 2 and 3 -- this will be the first time most of them have been realized in true 3D. "

"Umbrella Chronicles isn't merely mindless shooting -- there is that, yes, but there is also much more to consider. The Wii remote affords you pixel-perfect shooting accuracy. You can cap zombie heads without a second's hesitation or you can alternatively shoot them in the arms and legs, at which point they'll drop to the ground."

Source:http://wii.ign.com/articles/780/780373p1.html

Haven't found anything that really talks about any mini games, but I'm sure there will be.

Quoted post: Er, it's totally different. Not even the same genre. RE games 0 through 3 were all survival horror with pre-rendered environments. This is a light gun shooter. No similarities whatsoever.

Yeah, think RE: Survivor. Except, hopefully a lot better.

Though 15-20 hours? Jesus they better not make that 20 hours of constant light-gun action.

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting netman: Oh, and more confirmed details, too...

There are five scenarios - One each from Resi 0, 1, 2 and 3, and one completely original scenario seemingly with Wesker as the protagonist.

Each scenario will apparently last half an hour at full length.

[quote]Kawata is promising that the title will run between 15 and 20 hours long So.. which one is it? 5 scenarious, half hour each... hardly adds up to 15 hours. Although 15-20 hours seems extremely long for this kind of game.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Last Fog: So.. which one is it? 5 scenarious, half hour each... hardly adds up to 15 hours. Although 15-20 hours seems extremely long for this kind of game.

Read: "Each scenario has multiple paths". Probably means each individual playthrough will only last half an hour or so, but it'll take a while to do absolutely everything.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

If it's well designed, and plays like an arcade game, I'll throw down. I want a pistol attachment for it, though.

Posted by U.B.C.S. Nick

I wonder how developed these "multipul paths" are? Some thing easy as [Choose which door: Left/Right] Or maybe something more harder like you have to shoot a painting on the wall to make it fall off and show a key behind it to a locked path with better weapons stashed? I have my fingers crossed for the latter.

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting netman: Read: "Each scenario has multiple paths". Probably means each individual playthrough will only last half an hour or so, but it'll take a while to do absolutely everything.
well in that case, the developer is full of ****. Theres a difference between the game lasting 20 hours and offering a total of 20 hours, should you choose to play it multiple times.

At any rate, screw this game. I want RE5! An on-rails resident evil is a travesty. If they wanna make an original game like this fine, but dont ruin resident evil (again).

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Last Fog: At any rate, screw this game. I want RE5! An on-rails resident evil is a travesty. If they wanna make an original game like this fine, but dont ruin resident evil (again).

Okay, then. There's a nice new RE5 trailer waiting for you on the internet.

Posted by U.B.C.S. Nick

I think RE 5 will be a lot differant then the past titles, including RE 4. What would you think of an FPS RE game? (Not like the target shooter in RE UC) Something like a next gen counter strike with zombies...Bugger. Anyway, back to UC. Do you think they will have every monster to fight in it? All the way from the zombie dogs to the neptune sharks.

Posted by Klarth

Well, the trailer has dogs, sharks, zombies and even a Tyrant. Maybe we'll be seeing Nemesis and Lisa Trevor, too...

Posted by U.B.C.S. Nick

That would suck fighting lisa, unless you're in the room with the grave to either open or to shoot lisa over the side. No good attention wanting invincible cow...

Quoted post: I think RE 5 will be a lot differant then the past titles, including RE 4.

Doubt that. Different, yeah, a lot different, no. It already has villagers and it's supposedly a continuation of 4, so how different can it really be?

Posted by Klarth

I want one more traditional RE title. Seriously, just one would be fine.

Even if it's on PSP.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

A new traditional Resident Evil would kick arse, but I actually prefer 4 over the others in the series.

Like pre-RE4? No thanks. I only put up with that **** because there was nothing better in the RE universe. Now there is. Static cameras and tank controls ****ing suck.

Posted by Klarth

Gamecube RE is so ****ing good, though. :(

It was... but at that time RE4 wasn't out. I mean, it's still good but I think for me personally that has more to do with nostalgia than anything else. Though I would like to see something in the vein of past RE titles, you know, like zombie and crazy monster animals, but with better controls.

Posted by Zeta

Didn't Capcom mention that they might remake other REs?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I tend to see the original Resident Evil as a borderline puzzle game. So slick controls were never that much of a concern of mine. Not to say they weren't ****ing ******* frustrating, though.

Quoted post: Didn't Capcom mention that they might remake other REs?

Like what? The only titles left in the franchise ****ing suck.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

HEY I ENJOYED RE2 AND RE3 :mad:

Posted by Klarth

I think they should start making games based on the movies

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=netman;621216]I think they should start making games based on the movies

My dad actually enjoyed the first movie quite a lot when it was on last Easter. I was too ****ed by the bastardisation of the franchise to like it, though.

Posted by Klarth

I watched the first one before I started playing the games. I liked it. I still like it!

Posted by Zeta

Ha, I started a new game on RE4 yesterday and during the intro my mom was like "O HAY IS THAT SUM RESIDENT EVIL I WATCHED THAT MOVIE LAST WEEK!"

Yeah, I liked the first movie and I've been with the series since the beginning. Sure it was kinda lame in terms of a game-to-movie movie, but it was still better than most game movies.

Posted by U.B.C.S. Nick

Nothing really wrong with the RE movies, except the difference on the plot. I like 'em.

I started playing the DS remake...well, port of the original RE yesterday, it wasn't that bad except for the old B-movie voices they kept in and the easy last boss. Still prefer RE 2 or 3 over it though...

Posted by WillisGreeny

One thing I didn't like about the movies was how often the characters were all together. In the game, how often was Jill Fighting zombies along side others? I always felt that the videogames made an atmoshpere of the player needing to survive alone. The movie just didn't strike me as such a solo survival movie, but as more of a action/horror movie (which aren't bad, just not RE). There IS a difference, though I have no idea how it would have been potrayed differently in the movie to make that atmosphere come alive. Overall I still liked it.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

You can't have a single character surviving on their own. You need other people for them to interact with, otherwise it would get stale, fast.

Posted by U.B.C.S. Nick

I agree. Plus its good to have team mates who will draw the fire while you play.

Quoted post: Nothing really wrong with the RE movies, except the difference on the plot. I like 'em.

Eh, two was pretty horrid I thought. The first was no prize-pig, but as least it was enjoyable and done pretty well. The second just either tried to hard or didn't bother trying at all.

Posted by U.B.C.S. Nick

Like the bad cliff hanger at the end, just like Halo 2 and Alien Vs Predator. I want to see more herbs being used, they are essential for surviving zombie situations.

The thing about AvP though is that it's a cliff-hanger without a continuation. AvP2 supposedly has nothing to do with the first. AWESOME

Posted by WillisGreeny

That's why I said I didn't see any other way to potray the movie. If there was any eazy way to have only one character with no interaction stay interesting, then that would have been perfect. I understand why they did it the way they did.

Posted by U.B.C.S. Nick

Sweet, a nice clean slate for them to work on. Then they just need more action sceens that arn't in pure darkness or only 30 seconds long and it will be great.

At least Wesker is in the 3rd one, he'll do something to spice up the party...Hopefully.

Posted by Klarth

Less than a week, and ANOTHER new trailer:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21658.html

Posted by U.B.C.S. Nick

Wow, fantastic...I saw levels from Outbreak in there, i didn't know they would put those in it...