Broken 360s = one billion dollars less for MS

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3160812

tl;dr: MS admits problems with 360s, extends warranties 3 years, and is paying back customers for however much they've had to spend on repairs in the past.

This all equals to about a one billion dollar hit for MS. ka-zing

Posted by Big Boss

Understandable. A lot of consumers have reported several problems with the system. At 1UP, there's a story about a guy who has had 12 repair tickets for the 360 (And no, he's not breaking them).

Yeah, my last one just broke about a month or so ago and they wanted me to way about 150 bucks to get a refurb. Obviously that wasn't exactly a good deal so I ended up just buying a core. Now I'm thinking of just sending the broken one in for free just for the hell of it.

**** sucks, but at least they're admitting it and doing something about it.

Posted by Tiptoegecko

Mine broke twice, and it was the same problem too. The 1st time they repaired it and sent it back and one month later, boom, same problem. They were going to give me 25% off the price to refurb it, but they didn't do it right the first time, how will I know they will fix it right this time?

Posted by Mystic Hero

I've had the same experience myself. Mine broke and the package for the new one should be coming in some time next week. It's a real pain in the *** to keep having to buy a new one or get it repaired. It deducts not only your cahs if you have no warentee, but also your game time. I aprreciate the 3 months of free X-Box live, but that's nothing compared to all the **** I have had experienced with it in the past.

Posted by TendoAddict

This kind of amkes me worry about tryoing to buy one on e-bay , guess I should jump for the real thing if they are going to get a warenty.

Posted by WillisGreeny

that brings up that old sain, "Fool me once (ect..)"

Posted by cool gamer dad

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Now I'm thinking of just sending the broken one in for free just for the hell of it.

Do that and send it Skitzo's way. :3

Posted by Skitzo Control

Stinger makes an excellent point. Hell, Vamp, I'll pay for Shipping and PayPal $50 your way.;)

Posted by Kit

Mine broke last month, unable to read discs and came with a message that says "To run this disc please put it in a 360", got it replaced yesterday free.

My cousin said that he heard about this on the radio, and that it only applies to the "3 red lines" problem, whatever that is.

Posted by MuSHRooMKiNG

I don't have a 360 just yet, but my buddy does. He has a lot of problems with his. Any clue if the Elite breaks less? I am looking to buy one, just not sure if I should spend the extra money for the Elite.

Quoted post: Stinger makes an excellent point. Hell, Vamp, I'll pay for Shipping and PayPal $50 your way.

I should just put the return address as your address. let microsoft deal with the shipping

Quoted post: My cousin said that he heard about this on the radio, and that it only applies to the "3 red lines" problem, whatever that is.

red ring of death, three red lights, red lights of death, etc. The lights on the front of the console are a status indicator.

Posted by Skitzo Control

Even better, Vamp, just IM me if you plan on following through.;)

Posted by cool gamer dad

Vamp never IMs people. Well, maybe sometimes idk. You'll probably have to bug him about it until his asscheeks chafe from the perspiration buildup.

you do like chafing asscheeks, right?

Posted by Random

I've never had a problem with any of the Microsoft Consoles. I've owned 5 Xbox's, and only 1 360 but they've never given me problems. Of course even if they did, I always purchase warranties. After having 2 PS2s die, a PS1, and a Desktop PC, which none of the above had warranties, I was rather P***ed.

I'm glad to hear they're taking care of the customers. That is indeed rediculous.

Quoted post: you do like chafing asscheeks, right?

love 'em

Posted by EvilDeadGamer

dang, i love my 360 more than my ps3...i hope this doesnt end up being a major dent in MS.

Posted by s0ul

I'm having this flashback of this time when Vampiro referred to dying 360's as "not a widespread problem." That's why it's "usually." :(

it wasn't at that point, there wasn't enough boxes out back then :( kinda sorta? idk

Quoted post: dang, i love my 360 more than my ps3...i hope this doesnt end up being a major dent in MS.

that make so much **** money it's stupid. a billion dollars is a lot, but they'll throw however much money at the problem they need to.

Posted by Speedfreak

I knew I wasn't crazy. Every single person I know that has one has had it break at some point. I'm waiting til the 65nm versions come out before I even think about getting one.

Posted by Last Fog

I must be lucky. I've had it over a year and no problems. Every so often the screen will freeze up, but that hasnt happened in a long time. Same thing with PS2, I hear those break easily and mine never did.

My disc drive died about a year and a half in. Chances are yours will break. Just give it time.

Posted by Axis

Yeah, mine broke a little over a year later. Luckily I had the warranty for it so I didn't have to pay 150 dollars to get it fixed. Mine new one has pretty running pretty good so far, haven't had any freezes or anything.

Posted by Last Fog

I have an extended warranty too just in case. I'd rather get a brand new console than go through the trouble of shipping it and all just to get a repair.

Yeah, I did the same for my new one. Chances are it'll refuse to break within the warranty though. I'll probably just end up buying a whole new console when they upgrade the chips and whatnot.

Posted by Fate

I kind of wish our current 360 would break just so we can get that sweet new Elite. :(

Posted by Axis

Hmm, I had my warranty through GameStop. All I had to do was take it there and exchange it for a new one.

Posted by Anti-Muffla

my ps3 has been fine so far. *knocks on wood*. I guess that is what you get for the extra 100 dollars (was 200 back in the old days)...plus a blu-ray disc drive and like 15 excellent exclusives coming up. just had to say that. advertising for my pals over at Sony. They added custom wallpaper to the XMB that i've been asking for forever, hell, now their my pals.

lol jesus I was just kidding you loser. cursing and stuff. you need to chill man. just because ur 360 broke and your jealous doesn't mean you have to take it out on my rep points.

lol -103!

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I'm going to make sure you go below WackoHater.

Anyway, I'm glad this warranty exists. I've never even seen my 360 receipt.

Posted by Anti-Muffla

lol, how many points does WackoHater have?

yea, that warranty was definitely a good move for Microsoft though. I know i will be happy if I get a 360 and it breaks, I'll be glad I have that warranty. I heard the new ones don't break as much though, so I'll probably be fine.