Keyboards

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Not sure if anyone really plays piano/keyboard but if anyone does, what keyboard do you have and do you like it? I'm looking to get (another) one. Yamaha most likely (although a Korg would be wicked. Not a nice pricetag, though). Something really lightweight, that has multiple track recordability, usb port, pitch bend wheel, sustain pedal, large-ish amount of 'voices' etc. Nothing insanely expensive (not wanting to go over $350 or so) but something of decent quality.

Posted by Hyper

Right now I've got an old Yamaha Electone somethingorother electric organ. Before too long I should have my Yamaha DGX-505 as well. I think they discontinued it, but I've been paying it off for a couple years now so I'm not too surprised.

Posted by Tiptoegecko

I have some Casio keyboard, I forgot what model, but it's nothing special.

Posted by Philsdad

I'm in the market for something like this myself. Right now I just have an old Radio Shack kid's toy basically. It's fun to play but it can't do anything (like record, amplify, hook up to anything at all..) I'd like to save up for something decent though, even if it costs a little bit.

Are you looking to get a full 88 key one? That's what I'd like to get..as well as everything you mentioned (USB, multi-track recording, etc.) Oh and lots of good instruments or the ability to import them (a circus calliope is kinda a must for the stuff I'm gonna be recording.)

Posted by Grave Wisdom

I mess around on keyboard sometimes, but the only one I own currently is some super-ghetto casio type thing that I bought for like $10 about 6 years ago. But yeah, i've always liked Yamaha myself. When/if I buy a good keyboard, it'd probably be a Yamaha or a Korg.

Quoting Philsdad:
Are you looking to get a full 88 key one? That's what I'd like to get..as well as everything you mentioned (USB, multi-track recording, etc.) Oh and lots of good instruments or the ability to import them (a circus calliope is kinda a must for the stuff I'm gonna be recording.)

I wasn't looking for an 88 key, although that would be nice. Circus calliope would be neat. I have Garritan Personal Orchestra (basically a program that can convert the keyboard sounds into something that sounds REAL), but I hate the delay when playing from a keyboard. And if I do play in a band, I don't exactly want to haul my laptop and stuff around as well. But most of the lower end keyboards don't have great voice quality. Oh well.

The Yamaha DGX-505 looks nice but yeah, if it's been around for awhile it probably has been discontinued.

Posted by Richaod

I have an Alesis Quadrasynth. Old-ish, but it was apparently it was really, really good for its price.

A Korg OASYS would be insane...

Yeah, definitely nice, but I don't have thousands of dollars lying around. Maybe in a few years.

Posted by Vasioth

I have a Yamaha Keyboard around my room someplace, probably placed under my bed alongside another few instruments. I don't know what Model it is though, but I could check later :] .

When I got it the price tag here was

Posted by WillisGreeny

I have quite a few keyboards, but here's the important ones:

RD 700 Roland (my baby) -- great touch action, and voices are crisp. Lots of functionality that I'm still trying to learn. I mix it with a Peavey XR 600C, which is pretty old, but gets the job done. I bought the keyboard a while back when it cost around $2000.

Kimball upright (ac) -- Great sound for an upright, and good action. humidity really kicks its *** though, so it needs to be retuned 3 times a year...which doesn't happen.

Yamaha PSR-275 -- Works great with midi since it's light and has a good touch hit sensor function.

Posted by Tiptoegecko

I want a motha ****ing Moog synthesizer. Those things are hot