PS3 Pricecut

Posted by Ant

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=16721

[quote=James Brightman]Although Sony has yet to confirm a price drop officially, GameDaily BIZ has received confirmation from the retail sector that the PS3 will be dropped to $499 next week. Sony itself recently talked about "refining" the PS3 price. Now it appears to be happening.

A PS3 price cut rumor spread like wildfire across the Internet this afternoon when several sites spotted a new advertisement from Circuit City. The ad as seen on Kotaku lists the PS3 console at $499.99, $100 less than its current price.

It wasn't clear at first if this ad was a special deal specific to the electronics retailer or if it's indeed a retail-wide price cut instituted by Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA). As it turns out, a merchandising manager (who wished to remain anonymous) at one of the world's biggest retailers has confirmed to GameDaily BIZ that the price drop is indeed retail-wide and it's scheduled to take place on July 12, although the first wave of ads to promote the PS3's new price won't kick in until Sunday, July 15.

Many analysts have speculated that Sony would drop the price on the expensive console this year, and some even predicted that it could happen this summer. It's starting to look like they were right. We're sure to find out much more next week when Sony holds its press conference at E3.

SCEA when contacted for confirmation declined to comment.

I always knew that it would come, but already? That's a pleasant surprise.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

This is good news for Vamp! :D

I still don't care though. I have literally no idea what games are coming to the PS3 apart from MGS4 and FFXIII.

Posted by Klarth

Q4 PS3 releases:

Black People Steal Cars 5
Driving The Streets of Crime: Los Angeles
Carz With Fistz 2: GuNFistZ
RAPE AND MURDER ROAD

Nothing on the PS3 interests me at all. Not even MGS4 or FFXIII. Well, maybe GTA4, but that's multiplatform anyway.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Let me know when it's 399, then I might reconsider my considering to buying it.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Anything that loses sony more money is okay with me. Just so long as their userbase doesn't grow to the point where they can lord it over 3rd-party developers again.

Posted by Lord of Spam

"Carz With Fistz 2: GuNFistZ
RAPE AND MURDER ROAD"

If those are both real games, I'm buying a ps3 this ****ing instant.

Posted by Tiptoegecko

Quoting WillisGreeny: Let me know when it's 399, then I might reconsider my considering to buying it.

Ditto

Posted by Random

I don't care if its $20 in a used bin, i'm not interested. Its only going to hurt Sony more financially, so I say good riddance.

Posted by Ant

a 20 dollar blue ray would be pretty awesome!

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting WillisGreeny: Let me know when it's 399, then I might reconsider my considering to buying it.

I also agree, though I may cave in if something of great interest to me is released.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: This is good news for Vamp!

fuuuuuck yeah. Perfect timing since I'm probably picking up Ninja Gaiden next week.

Posted by Fate

I heard the new PS3s will take out that backwards compatibility chip, which makes it cheaper. I sooooooo don't care!

It takes out the PS2 chip, but you can still play PS2 titles through emulation I believe. The UK already has this.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;617417]It takes out the PS2 chip, but you can still play PS2 titles through emulation I believe. The UK already has this.
Yep, PAL PS3s emulate PS2 hardware, rather than the chip being onboard.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/801/801981p1.html

Sony says it ain't happening. Probably will though.

Posted by Unite

This great news Sony is making it easier for the less fortunate to be able to afford a ps3.

hahaha, less fortunate...

Posted by Unite

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: hahaha, less fortunate...

As the people who aren't able to afford $600

If they couldn't afford 600 dollars they can't afford 500. It's not for those who can't afford it, but those who don't want to spend that kind of cash on a PS3 and those that were on the fence about buying one. It just makes the product more attractive, but it's not going to attract the "less fortunate"

Posted by Fate

I think it kind of makes sense, considering the 360 was only a hundred bucks cheaper. Not bad.

Posted by WillisGreeny

If only consumers were smarter to the point that we all would band together to not buy the PS3 untill it's 300. More consumers want the game titles, not the blue ray disc crap on the PS3. psht, bundeling little jerks.

Then again, people *****ed about haveing to buy a remote to use the dvd player in the X box...Pleaseing everyone is hard.

Posted by Fate

People be buying that Blu stuff, yo. A $500 Blu-Ray is cheap, let alone a $500 multimedia one.

Posted by s0ul

Few more of these and we'll have us an attractive price.

Posted by Random

Well sorry kiddies, no price drop anytime soon.

Besides, they'd be stupid to. They're already losing millions, why risk losing more??

Posted by WillisGreeny

Not suprised, Sony is really in a jam untill more titles get released.

Posted by Shade

I guess the less fortunate will have to wait a bit longer.

Quoted post: Well sorry kiddies, no price drop anytime soon.

Besides, they'd be stupid to. They're already losing millions, why risk losing more??

How does I read thread?

Posted by Ant

In that article they just say they don't have any announcements to make AT THIS TIME. Hell, for all that means it could come next week, or on the 12th like speculation leads us to believe. So I'll wait till then and see what happens.

Like I said, that price is dropping and it's happening soon. Of course they're not going to say the price is being cut now, else everyone will wait and they'll lose even more money.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

It's official now! Why the **** do Sony lie about such things?

Posted by Degeneration

Haha. No matter what they do, even if it's good, someone will find a way to hate 'em for it.

negative spin are the champion.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I'm simply saying that a mere four days ago, Sony totally denied a pricecut. wtf?

If sony confirmed a price cut too far in advance, no one would buy a system before the cut happened. Duh.

Posted by Degeneration

Yep. Anybody who's waited this long to get one wouldn't have a problem with waiting some more for the price drop.

It's still too expensive for me, though. Five hundred bucks for a console? Screwww that.

Quoting The X: I'm simply saying that a mere four days ago, Sony totally denied a pricecut. wtf?

All they said was that they hadn't made any announcements about it, which was true... at the time.

But yeah, it's official: 60GB = $500 here and $549 in that random country to the north of us (Guatemala?). Also, an 80GB version priced at $600 is coming next month, bundled with Motorstorm.

Posted by WillisGreeny

I wonder how many PS3 will be bought once the next Final Fantasy game comes out. I see enough Final Fantasy fanatics to know they'll buy a PS3 just to play it.

FF will move a hell of a lot more titles than MGS4, I can say that much.

Posted by Unite

wow seems a few people disagreed with my post about me showing priase to sony for the price cut.

Posted by Shade

No ****, sherlock.

Posted by Unite

Quoting Shade32: No ****, sherlock.

and whats problem with a price cut?

Posted by Oforia

Quoting Unite: and whats problem with a price cut?

Because now those less fortunate n[COLOR="White"]i[/COLOR]ggers can afford!

Posted by Ant

I think the key word in your post that resulted in a large amount of disagrees is "less fortunate"

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

You said poor people would now be able to buy the PS3. WORK HARDER AT THEIR JOB TO GET A PS3 RIGHT

Posted by Unite

Quoting The X: You said poor people would now be able to buy the PS3. WORK HARDER AT THEIR JOB TO GET A PS3 RIGHT

You seem to think i ment that these people should work harder than they currently are if they want to afford ps3. If there is pricecut it will make it easier on these people, i don't know about you but thats good thing.

Posted by WillisGreeny

what!? Are you saying hard working americans are lazy peices of **** that won't work harder to get a PS3 and take hand me down price cuts!!?? GRRR you make us blue collar people angry. I'm going to work overtime just to prove you wrong... that'll show you.

Posted by Arcadios

He says "these people" like he's ****ting cash.
Back to the topic, I'll hold on the PS3 until some must get titles are released that interest me.

Posted by Fate

You're all less fortunate ******s. sry :(

Posted by Klarth

My camera cost than a PS3. Less fortunate, my arse.

Posted by Fate

I've seen the best cameras for more than a PS3, cheap negro. :mad:

Posted by WillisGreeny

I was always happy in life...but now that you've shown me how less fortunate I am, it's just all too clear... :(

[URL=http://img530.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sonymustdieuo8.jpg][IMG]http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/7008/sonymustdieuo8.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Posted by Oforia

no matter how many times you try, you will never make me laugh.

Posted by WillisGreeny

This "interloper" doesn't mind at all.
Sorry for the lack of exorability to find me funny :)

But sony has been making me mad with all the high price nonsense.

people just don't want a ps3, it's not really because they're "less fortunate" :(

Posted by s0ul

I consider myself pretty fortunate not to have one LMAO!!!

Just kidding, I don't mind Sony, just Unite. ;)

Now this is funny:

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/07/13/sony-switcheroo-no-more-60gb-playstation-3-in-us-after-july/

How much does sony love the industry? This much: *Hands fold in upon themselves from an inability to pull themselves apart*

Posted by Zeta

Well, on the positive side people will get more gigs now. Still pretty ****ing stupid, though.

Posted by Degeneration

The price drop was just a clearance sale. What a pleasant surprise.

If the other two companies cut their console prices by even $50 because of this, will a 600-dollar machine not look like the biggest joke in the store?

Posted by WillisGreeny

But with the demand for wii staying as high as it is, I don't see a drop anytime soon. And the 360 is making its quota aswell, so no drop. Sony will be the only system droping which will just make them look worse.

who wants to bet they're just saying this so more people buy it faster? Once it's sold out they'll either make more or introduce a new SKU at $499.