Wild (Small) Animals

Posted by Skitzo Control

I found some young birds by my apartment today. They're old enough to fly, but the chicks refuse to take flight. I'm afraid they'll die if they don't fly to get food and water. Anything I can do? Here's some pics of 'em:
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/SkitzoControl/SANY0143.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/SkitzoControl/SANY0145.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/SkitzoControl/SANY0144.jpg[/IMG]
---
Which brings me to further discussions. Have you ever found animals in such a predicament and wanted nothing more than to help them? How'd you do it? Did they live?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Leave them food and water nearby?

There was a wild rabbit living in my girlfriend's garden for a long time, and it refused to move on because her family treated it so well. I don't actually know what happened to it.

Posted by Ant

I wouldn't help it. It's a wild animal, and if it can't survive on it's own, tuff.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Ant;616812]I wouldn't help it. It's a wild animal, and if it can't survive on it's own, tuff.

This doesn't sound like the Ant I know. :(

Posted by Linko_16

I once stopped at the dry cleaner's and saw a pigeon in a parking space across the way trying to drag itself out of the street by it's wings. What was wrong with it, I don't know, but one way or another, it couldn't fly or even stand... it was one of the saddest things I'd ever seen. I really wished I could do something, but they tell you not to touch wounded animals, so I didn't.

Posted by cool gamer dad

Yeah, I helped take care of a stray cat that wandered around the neighborhood. I'd leave him some food and water when I saw him, but a year later he was hit by a car and died in my front yard.

Posted by Aesthetic

AWWWWW

[quote]
1. Determine its age. Does it have feathers?

If not and you know where the nest is located, replace the hatchling in the nest. The parents will take it from there.

If it is feathered and not obviously injured (broken wing, leg, etc.), clear all pets and children away from the fledgling and observe it for an hour. Chances are the parents will return for it. They may be waiting until all the hoopla has died down before approaching the youngster.

2. I tried all that, I don't know where the nest is and/or the parents haven't returned. What do I do now?

Carefully pick up the baby and put it immediately in a small cardboard box or plastic food container large enough for the bird to stand up in or move around a bit. (Try to have the container ready before you pick up the bird; this will reduce stress on the animal.) Use facial tissue, toilet tissue or paper toweling for padding and cover the container LOOSELY with a towel leaving a small gap at the edge for good air circulation. Place the box in a warm, QUIET area of the house and call your local wildlife rehabilitation center (see below) for further instructions. Do not offer the bird food or water until you have spoken with them and avoid peeking at or disturbing the bird.

3. Well, I think this baby I found is a duck. Do I do the same thing?

Absolutely. Always observe a young waterfowl before picking it up. These birds are doting parents and will respond to a lost offspring. They do know how many babies they have. Because of this, they'll backtrack until they find the errant youngster. If you listen, you'll hear the duckling/gosling calling for its parents.

If you're sure the duckling/gosling is an orphan, follow the same steps as above. Place it in a padded box/container, covered with a towel, and put it in a warm, QUIET place. You'll want to use a deeper container for ducklings as they will jump. Immediately call your local rehabilitation center for further instructions.

Source: http://www.tc.umn.edu/~devo0028/advice4.htm

That's the first site I found, but it seems pretty helpful. I opted for taking the animal to a wildlife rehabilitator when I found a baby bunny (8 days old), and they also mention that on the same page, so do whatever you feel comfortable doing. You can call animal shelters, the nearest SPCA or even look in the phone book for wildlife rehabilitators. Good luck!

Posted by Ch

A few years ago I was walking home from my friend's house when I saw a bird just laying on the street breathing heavily. The wing was cut. My aunt is an avian vet in El Salvador so I learned a couple things from her. I brought the bird in, gave it food and water, but I didn't put it near my birds. I patched up it's wing and let it go a week later.

As for your position, Skitzo, I don't know what to do about stationary birds. Just leave some food and water near I guess.

Posted by Lord of Spam

The last time I had to deal with a small animal was smashing the skull of the possum that had been eating my friends chicken with a shovel.

I was hoping he would get to it first but the **** thing ran to me:(

Posted by Omni

LoS, didn't you once help a wolf who was living in a toilet?

Posted by Trigger

I had a magpie bird fall into my back yard some years ago with damage wings, preventing it from being able to fly. We put it in a spare bird cage that we had, took care of it for a week or so and then allowed him to be free when he was able to fly again. Magpies are our more violent types of birds, in terms of protecting itself and its young - they normally will swoop at attack you but I guess this one was too injured to put up much of a fight.