UK Smoking Ban

Posted by Klarth

Today the smoking ban on indoor areas (and partially enclosed areas such as bus shelters and train stations) came into effect all over the United Kingdom. The only indoor smoking which is now legal in the UK is the kind you do in your own home - And the government are trying to stomp that out, too.

I walked through a part of London this evening and passed four or five pubs/clubs. Each of them had around sixty people standing outside clutching cigarettes and beer, and complaining. The pubs themselves were entirely empty.

This is ridiculous. All private clubs are doing a disservice to their regulars and it's not even their fault. Private establishments have had the ability to ban smoking on their premises forever, and those that didn't take that path at least had the option of a no smoking zone. Now it's universal.

Posted by gape

Good. Smoking is incredibly stupid and needs to be stopped. I suppose in private clubs/bars it should be allowed, with a clear sign outside that says smoking is allowed. But really, it needs to be banned on the streets as well. I hate walking past people sitting outside a grocery store smoking. That stuff is just nasty.

Posted by Ant

G[COLOR="Lime"]od da[/COLOR]mn I hate non-smokers like this guy above. BOO WOO a tiny bit of smoke got in my lungs. It's prissy *******s like yourself that have ruined most freedoms people have enjoyed for as long as we can remember, but then a few do good goodies show up and boss people around.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

England and Wales* smoking ban.

We've had it for nearly three years. Nothing changed. Caf

Posted by Average n00b

Yeah, my mum told my brother about this.

My opinion? It's stupid, the ban. I personally don't like the smell of smoke but I can't tell people to just STOP. I'm not their mother. I let people do what they want as long as they don't get me into it (Personally anti-drug,alcohol,smoking for myself)

If this happens in the states people will go balistic.

I hope they get rid of that ban.

Posted by gape

Quoting Ant: *** **** I hate non-smokers like this guy above. BOO WOO a tiny bit of smoke got in my lungs. It's prissy *******s like yourself that have ruined most freedoms people have enjoyed for as long as we can remember, but then a few do good goodies show up and boss people around.

I think i've made a new friend! I assume you are a smoker? I will never understand why people want to give themselves lung cancer. Is it fun breathing tar and poison into your lungs? I just don't get it. You of course have the right to smoke, just do it at your own house.

Posted by Ant

Nope, don't smoke, never will. :D

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I enjoy smoking irregularly, but I've never felt a need to smoke in a restaurant or bar.

Posted by nich

A similar ban has been in effect here for a while now. Like X said, not much has changed. I personally don't care for amoking tobacco at all, but the ban is a little excessive.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting netman: Can't wait to see how people react when this comes into effect in the Netherlands next year.

Wait... no smoking... in the netherlands?

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE

Posted by Bebop

[QUOTE=netman;614601]The only indoor smoking which is now legal in the UK is the kind you do in your own home - And the government are trying to stomp that out, too.

Proof please. Haven't heard of this.

Smoking ban is a good thing. Including for smokers.

Posted by Fate

This doesn't make much sense if places have the option to make the establishment nonsmoking already. Smoking in a bar sounds pretty normal compared to smoking in an office building. Hookah is good stuff and a lot of people pay for it enough to make a business out of it. If customers can't smoke in a bar it is easy to see why some places would go out of business or slow down-- it's just too **** inconvenient.

The only thing that bothers me about smoking is when I'm in a public area and there is no designation for smoking. I really hate walking past a smoker. If I wanted to smell cigarette smoke I'd go to a bar, sir! OH WAI--

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Banning smoking in your house? Yeah, right. This is just mindless propaganda from the OMFG WE LIVE IN A BIG BROTHER SOCIETY crew.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Fate: [color=skyblue]This doesn't make much sense if places have the option to make the establishment nonsmoking already.[color]

Find me a pub that was purely non smoking before the ban and I'll show you an intelligent post from Panic

Posted by Fate

I'm not talking strictly bars, here!

Posted by Bebop

My proposal still stands.

Although there is bound to be a decrease in money made from ciggerretes its only going to be slight. Besides in the long run it will be better for the economy. The NHS wont have as many lung cancer people to treat for one.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting advice06: I think i've made a new friend! I assume you are a smoker? I will never understand why people want to give themselves lung cancer. Is it fun breathing tar and poison into your lungs? I just don't get it. You of course have the right to smoke, just do it at your own house.

Apparently you don't realise that people smoke things other than cigarettes.

I can't abide by cigarette smokers, but I do enjoy shisha (and certain things I would be arrested for in public anyway, but that is a different story). No tar. No nicotine. No poison. I'm sure burning a resin and inhaling the fumes is bad for me in some way - Through a water pipe, however, the smoke is clean and gives the user nothing more than a nice headrush and an itchy throat on their first ever hit.

Stop generalising.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting The X: Banning smoking in your house? Yeah, right. This is just mindless propaganda from the OMFG WE LIVE IN A BIG BROTHER SOCIETY crew.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,2110076,00.html

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

This doesn't mean they want to ban smoking at home. It's just the same advice as people saying 'hey don't drink too much alcohol'.

Posted by Shin-Ra

I support this. There's no point in exaggerating this into a bash-fest against smoking, as smoking is basically impossible to defend, so I won't even bother. Now, if you're talking rights, how about the right to go into an establishment and not have another person's right to smoke affect your health? Yeah, the stuff is extremely bad for you.

Smoking bans like this aren't new either. Austin and Beaumont, Texas (I grew up in one and live in the other) both have smoking bans in all establishments. It works well, but honestly, people still smoke in bars and that's not an issue to me at all. Banning smoking from bars is just silly.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting The X: This doesn't mean they want to ban smoking at home. It's just the same advice as people saying 'hey don't drink too much alcohol'.

Exactly. Its about increading awareness and warnings, not banning it completly. Which again I'm all for.

Posted by mis0

I don't really care for cigarettes or smokers but honestly, if you're going to a bar, what do you expect? People should stop *****ing and complaining and deal with it. A little second hand smoke every once and a while is NOT going to kill you. People are exposed to plenty of carcinogens daily as it is, as many such substances are found in aerosol cleaners and can be easily inhaled or they may coat our cooking surfaces, such as the non-stick component of many non-stick pans. Most people, however, accept those dangers without complaint.

When I go into a bar, I expect smoke and deal with it. Bars are about smokes, alcohol, and maybe some pool. At least the smoking ban here mainly deals with smoking in restaurants, not bars or clubs. On the other hand, I was honestly surprised at the volume of smokers that could be found in Europe. I went to a small cafe in Covent Garden and the amount of smoke was almost overwhelming. But, I was in there for maybe 30 minutes and it didn't ruin my meal or my life. It was just a huge difference from here.

Posted by Omni

I don't smoke and I live in America, so this doesn't bug me.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Omni: I don't smoke and I live in America, so this doesn't bug me.

thank you for your contribution

Posted by Lord of Spam

If you dont want to be around smokers, then dont be. Doesnt give you the right to **** on their parade just bacause you're too much of a puss to deal with it.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

A lot of places around here actually had to shut down because of the ban. Not too long ago even private clubs had to ban smoking, like the Veterans Club, and now that's on the verge of closing down. I personally have no problem with it, I don't enjoy smoking, never smoked, and I don't drink either. So I couldn't give a **** if bars started shutting down.

Posted by mis0

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: So I couldn't give a **** if bars started shutting down.

Because, you know, that won't impact your local economy at all.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Lord of Spam: If you dont want to be around smokers, then dont be. Doesnt give you the right to **** on their parade just bacause you're too much of a puss to deal with it.

Spoilers: Smokers are everywhere

Also not wanting you and your kids to contract lung cancer through 2nd hand smoke doesnt make you a puss.

Quoted post: Because, you know, that won't impact your local economy at all.

Nah. Since, you know, it's been a couple years since it happened and all the ones that shunt down are already shut down.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Quoting Fate: Hookah is good stuff and a lot of people pay for it enough to make a business out of it.

Austin, Texas has a smoking ban and Hookah bars are still completely legal. I can't remember if they got exemptions because of "club" status or what, but there are always ways around smoking bans if it's hookah.

Posted by Klarth

Not here. Apparently smoke in the air in a smoking club in which all the regulars are smokers is a horrible, terrible, dangerous thing.

I'm still seething nearly two days later.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Quoting Omni: I don't smoke and I live in America, so this doesn't bug me.

I do smoke and I live in Colorado (where a smoking ban has already took place [over a year ago]). I feel the UK's pain. :(

Posted by WillisGreeny

The ordinance of my hometown use to ban smoking in establishments where more than 50% of the profit came from food, but it only lasted untill 11:00 pm inwhich then it was ok to smoke anywhere. Most resturant don't stay open that late so they had to ban smoking all together, which raised a lot of fuss.

Eventually the ban was dropped and resturants could do w/e the hell they wanted to again. But guess what!?! Resturants found that they made more money when the ban was inplace than befor, so they kept the smokers out.

Posted by Tyler Durden

Pushers for any ban should choke on glass.. Humans don't require "babysitters" and people to smack us on the backs of our hands and say "NO! that's bad for your health mister".

[quote=Sapphire Rose;615302]I do smoke and I live in Colorado (where a smoking ban has already took place [over a year ago]). I feel the UK's pain. :(
I do too, which I'm currently at a point of quiting. Because drinking doesn't make me cough quite as much.

Posted by Klarth

Hey let's move to Singapore!

Possession of cannabis there usually leads to a lengthy jail sentence. If you have more than 15 grams, it's the death penalty.

Posted by Tyler Durden

Do they still enlist caning sentences?

Posted by Klarth

Yep.

Oh, and carrying certain kinds of FRUIT in Singapore can get you arrested.

Posted by Tyler Durden

SWEET, ZERO TOLERANCE FOR BASIC HUMAN ACTION OF ANY KIND IS AWESOME TO THE MAX!

Hey Netty, let's cane Roger Smith and sentence him to a maximum penalty death sentence after a lengthy 100 year stay in prison.. Just think of all the gay sex he'll have.

EDIT: Oh, we'll do it for his bad PhotoShops.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Quoting Down The Sun: Humans don't require "babysitters" and people to smack us on the backs of our hands and say "NO! that's bad for your health mister".

The smoking ban is to protect the inarguably bad effects smoking has on non-smokers health. Do you seriously think "smoking sections" actually do anything? No and you're a fool if you do. It's about people's right to live in a smoke free environment, not about a person's right to smoke all they want. I mean christ, all they have to do is go outside and smoke. But like I said, smoking bans in bars is just silly.

Posted by Bebop

[QUOTE=Down The Sun;615313]Pushers for any ban should choke on glass.. Humans don't require "babysitters" and people to smack us on the backs of our hands and say "NO! that's bad for your health mister".

The stupidty in this theory is immense. Do you honestly beleive if indivudals left to their own devices can co-exist peacefully?

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

The only important thing in this thread is that I didn't know netty lived in England.

Seriously, how long has that been going on.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=WILLETH FOR MONTHS;615421]The only important thing in this thread is that I didn't know netty lived in England.

Seriously, how long has that been going on.

netman = Klarth.

Posted by Admiral Anthrax

I'm glad that laws in California don't allow smoking inside of bars. Most of them are poorly ventilated, and while I enjoy the occasional cigar or clove, I HATE the smell of traditional cigarettes, and being in a room filled with the smoke makes my eyes red, watery and irritated. I don't want to have to deal with that just to go out for drinks.

If they try to ban smoking at the outdoor section of bars, though... then it's on.

Quoted post: Humans don't require "babysitters"

Yes we do.

Posted by Tyler Durden

[quote=Shin-Ra;615360]The smoking ban is to protect the inarguably bad effects smoking has on non-smokers health. Do you seriously think "smoking sections" actually do anything? No and you're a fool if you do. It's about people's right to live in a smoke free environment, not about a person's right to smoke all they want. I mean christ, all they have to do is go outside and smoke. But like I said, smoking bans in bars is just silly.
I don't smoke indoors, anywhere, period. I have respect for the non-smoking community. Besides, it brings down the property value.

Posted by UncleYaris

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Yellow"]The ban is rediculous. People go to pubs and cafes to enjoy themselves, have a nice drink, and socialize. A good chunk of smokers are social smokers, and want to have a ciggie with thier friends. Why do they have to suffer now? non-smokers, who know full well they're going to a place where people smoke, and know the risks involved. So now, smokers are going to be punished even more for just being smokers. Its stupid.[/COLOR][/FONT]

Quoted post: non-smokers, who know full well they're going to a place where people smoke, and know the risks involved. So now, smokers are going to be punished even more for just being smokers. Its stupid.

Oh... oh jesus.

Posted by Zeta

facepalm

Posted by Bebop

Quoting UncleYaris: [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Yellow"]The ban is rediculous. People go to pubs and cafes to enjoy themselves, have a nice drink, and socialize. A good chunk of smokers are social smokers, and want to have a ciggie with thier friends. Why do they have to suffer now? non-smokers, who know full well they're going to a place where people smoke, and know the risks involved. So now, smokers are going to be punished even more for just being smokers. Its stupid.[/COLOR][/FONT]

I shouldnt have to go to a place I want to go and have my comfort and health damaged purely because one person doesnt want to walk 3 feet to the door and stand outside.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=UncleYaris;616032][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Yellow]The ban is rediculous. People go to pubs and cafes to enjoy themselves, have a nice drink, and socialize. A good chunk of smokers are social smokers, and want to have a ciggie with thier friends. Why do they have to suffer now? non-smokers, who know full well they're going to a place where people smoke, and know the risks involved. So now, smokers are going to be punished even more for just being smokers. Its stupid.[/COLOR][/FONT]
Non-smokers don't suffer when others smoke? oh lol

You're basically suggesting that people who don't smoke shouldn't go to places where smoking is allowed. Massive ****ing fail.

Posted by Klarth

I know I'm like a broken record here... I can understand people feeling this way about pubs, but not in hookah bars or private clubs. :/

Posted by Bebop

Private clubs? I dont understand. Why should this ban not apply to places where people pay an entrance fee. What?

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Bebop: Private clubs? I dont understand. Why should this ban not apply to places where people pay an entrance fee. What?

I'm talking about smoking clubs.

Specifically cigar clubs.

Posted by UncleYaris

Quoting The X: Non-smokers don't suffer when others smoke? oh lol

You're basically suggesting that people who don't smoke shouldn't go to places where smoking is allowed. Massive ****ing fail.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Yellow"]i didnt say non-smokers don't suffer, I just merley suggested that non-smokers make smokers suffer more in the sense that everything is modified to benifit non-smokers and thier confert, meanwhile non taking the confert of the smoker in mind.[/COLOR][/FONT]

Quoting Bebop: I shouldnt have to go to a place I want to go and have my comfort and health damaged purely because one person doesnt want to walk 3 feet to the door and stand outside.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Yellow"]keep in mind that I'm also a non-smoker. the person who doesn't want to walk three feet has just the same right not to move as the person who doesn't want to have thier health damaged. wouldn't the easier solution just be to avoid these public places where they can get thier health damaged? [/COLOR][/FONT]

Or the smoker could also not go out, ever. Great solution.

Your whole argument about social smoking is bull, too. Social smokers do it because their friends do; they enjoy taking part in something that everyone else is doing. Well now, their friends aren't going to be doing that, so the social smokers aren't affected at all.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=UncleYaris;616395][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Yellow]keep in mind that I'm also a non-smoker. the person who doesn't want to walk three feet has just the same right not to move as the person who doesn't want to have thier health damaged. wouldn't the easier solution just be to avoid these public places where they can get thier health damaged? [/COLOR][/FONT]

Walking three feet to avoid damaging someone's health? Is that such a discomfort?

You practically write our counter-arguments for us.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting WILLETH FOR MONTHS: Or the smoker could also not go out, ever. Great solution.

Your whole argument about social smoking is bull, too. Social smokers do it because their friends do; they enjoy taking part in something that everyone else is doing. Well now, their friends aren't going to be doing that, so the social smokers aren't affected at all.

Depends what they're smoking. Shisha actually gives you a feel-good, it doesn't smell offensive, it's legal and it's nowhere near as bad for you as cigarettes. I only know one other person who smokes it, and even still, neither of us do so more than once a week.

Actually, I haven't smoked anything for a few months.
Also, hookahs are an exception to everything I just said

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Is Shisha the **** that's derived from honeycomb or something? If so, I have no qualms about people smoking it near me.

Posted by UncleYaris

Quoting The X: Walking three feet to avoid damaging someone's health? Is that such a discomfort?

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Yellow"]no, the disconfort is the fact that the smoker has to go out of his way to make the non-smoker happy. all I'm saying is whay can't it be the other way around?[/COLOR][/FONT]

Posted by WillisGreeny

Quoting UncleYaris: [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Yellow"]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Yellow"]keep in mind that I'm also a non-smoker. the person who doesn't want to walk three feet has just the same right not to move as the person who doesn't want to have thier health damaged. wouldn't the easier solution just be to avoid these public places where they can get thier health damaged? [/COLOR][/FONT]

Here's why that's stupid:
"hello, my name is Alan, and I suffer from [COLOR="red"]not smoking[/COLOR]. Because I don't smoke, I can't go to resturants, pubs, or the bowling alley because I am a none smoker worried about my health. Please make me not care about my health so that I can leave my house. I beg you!"

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=UncleYaris;616419][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Yellow]no, the disconfort is the fact that the smoker has to go out of his way to make the non-smoker happy. all I'm saying is whay can't it be the other way around?[/COLOR][/FONT]

There is no logic to your argument at all. Seriously.

Why should someone who's causing harm to others have allowances made for them by others who aren't causing problems?

Posted by Klarth

Quoting The X: Is Shisha the **** that's derived from honeycomb or something? If so, I have no qualms about people smoking it near me.

Tobacco + honeycomb + various other things depending on how you like it. Coconut is pretty good.

A few years ago health officials tried stamping it out because it apparently contains more harmful stuff than a single cigarette, but that was using unrealistic figures like 700 degrees celsius for the tobacco, and fairly random quantities for the other carcinogens...

Donning my tinfoil hat for a minute here: Apparently the "study" was paid for by an amalgam of cigarette producers.

Bad for you, yeah, but nowhere near as bad.

Posted by UncleYaris

Quoting The X: Why should someone who's causing harm to others have allowances made for them by others who aren't causing problems?

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Yellow"]is it not thier right to be treated on an equal level to someone else?[/COLOR][/FONT]

Posted by WillisGreeny

It poison's my air, inwhich they have no right to do. If we all had to share a cup of water, and someone decided to take a **** in it, would you argue that person who ****ed in the cup had every right to do so?

Posted by Klarth

Quoting WillisGreeny: It poison's my air, inwhich they have no right to do. If we all had to share a cup of water, and someone decided to take a **** in it, would you argue that person who ****ed in the cup had every right to do so?

You aren't forced to go to smoking venues.

Likewise, you aren't forced to drink poopy water.

Posted by WillisGreeny

so a smoker has the right to **** in everyone's air that they choose, and people should leave if they don't like it? hmm, yea, that doesn't work for the majority, after all, this is a democracy. There's more non smokers than smokers, so the few should help benafit the many. And as for forced to drink ****ed in water, no one is forcing them to ****. by the way... the **** is actually p i s s.

Posted by mis0

Quoting Bebop: I shouldnt have to go to a place I want to go and have my comfort and health damaged purely because one person doesnt want to walk 3 feet to the door and stand outside.

Hyperbole get? Your health will not be "damaged" by a little second hand smoke. If it was that fragile, you'd never make it to your destination because you'd be killed by exhaust fumes while walking there.

Posted by Ant

smokers are jokers.

Posted by TendoAddict

Man I don't care about this stuff anymore, I'd just wish people on both sides would shut up. No, it wouldn't kill you to go outside for a quick smoke. Smoke IS bad for you, just because it doesn't kill you doesn't make it safe. I also find it odd that these people want to ban smoke in bar's because most likely they will go and damage their livers is beer purposely any how.

H[COLOR="White"]e[/COLOR]ll, if we were all a little more considerate to each other we wouldn't need ban's. But I guess thats why we share most of are DNA with chimps.

Posted by Tyler Durden

Why not make smokers sit in a separate room of said club, that is actually a sound-proof glass encased box?

Quoted post: is it not thier right to be treated on an equal level to someone else?

Not when they're potentially damaging peoples' health. Smoking and non-smoking sections were fine when not as much was known about smoking. It sucked, but people dealt with it. Now people know more about how harmful it can be and they'll complain about a smoker. The business will hear about and will be forced to do something. Having a smoker in your restaurant at this point is just bad for business.

Smokers aren't suffering more, unless you honestly think going outside is such a terrible thing. They can stand outside with their friends who are also most likely smoking and, after the seven minutes it takes to smoke, go back inside and everyone's happy. The non-smokers are the majority, and as such, they businesses have to keep them in mind, not the smokers. With this solution both groups can still go to any venue, one just has to step outside for a couple minutes. It's really not that big of a deal for smokers. Plus, there's always the patio that most bars and restaurants seem to have these days.

But yeah, you're whole argument is stupid and you're stupid for believing it. Just a final ad-hom.

Posted by Ant

Quoting Down The Sun: Why not make smokers sit in a separate room of said club, that is actually a sound-proof glass encased box?

A local bowling alley here has that. Went in there to play one of those touchpad game things, the smoke was so **** strong I was choking on the air. But then, I started just going in there for fun.

Posted by Tyler Durden

[quote=Ant;616547]A local bowling alley here has that. Went in there to play one of those touchpad game things, the smoke was so **** strong I was choking on the air. But then, I started just going in there for fun.
So let me get this straight, you ran into a smoke-filled room for fun? Was it anything like that special day of boot camp where they run your silly little ass into the gas chamber and have you clear the mask while holding your breath and your god damned eyes are burning like crazy fuckin' hell?

Posted by Bebop

This ban enforces politeness. Whats wrong with being nice? :)

Posted by UncleYaris

Quoting WillisGreeny: It poison's my air, inwhich they have no right to do. If we all had to share a cup of water, and someone decided to take a **** in it, would you argue that person who ****ed in the cup had every right to do so?

[FONT="Century Gothic"][COLOR="Yellow"]bad analogy concidering the cup of water is not nearly as quantitative as all the air in the world. concidering, also, the smog that the world's metropoli spew out into the air, the acid rain as a result, and global warming as a result, kinda makes the whole world a giant cigarette, doesn't it? so tell me, would you rather have your lungs ruined by corporate smog or a person's cigarette? (which also profits the corporation)[/COLOR][/FONT]

Except we really can't do anything about the smog. It's going to take years and decades to remedy, so your point is completely moot. Plus, smoking ruins a dinning experience for a lot of non-smokers, and that's not what a restaurant wants.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Quoting UncleYaris: [FONT="Century Gothic"][COLOR="Yellow"]bad analogy concidering the cup of water is not nearly as quantitative as all the air in the world. concidering, also, the smog that the world's metropoli spew out into the air, the acid rain as a result, and global warming as a result, kinda makes the whole world a giant cigarette, doesn't it? so tell me, would you rather have your lungs ruined by corporate smog or a person's cigarette? (which also profits the corporation)[/COLOR][/FONT]

Now your debating which is the lesser evil with the entire planet...

What happened to the smokers shouldn't have to move argument? are you suggesting we should ban cars and other industries befor we force smokers to smoke outside? yeah, that makes perfect sense...

Posted by UncleYaris

Quoting WillisGreeny: Now your debating which is the lesser evil with the entire planet...

What happened to the smokers shouldn't have to move argument? are you suggesting we should ban cars and other industries befor we force smokers to smoke outside? yeah, that makes perfect sense...

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Yellow"]no, im suggesting that the clean air you mentioned isn't all that clean, so stop *****ing about it[/COLOR][/FONT]

Posted by WillisGreeny

Quoting UncleYaris: [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Yellow"]no, im suggesting that the clean air you mentioned isn't all that clean, so stop *****ing about it[/COLOR][/FONT]

Now you're just getting angry... :)

It's more diluted, and thus, a hell of a lot more clean and less dangerous than cigarette smoke. Plus, it doesn't smell terrible.

Posted by Shin-Ra

UncleYaris - You're mindlessly defending points just to prove yourself right and you're failing at this. If you can't tell the difference between directly breathing in cigarette smoke and normal polluted air, then you don't even need to be posting your opinion right now because it's completely voided due to idiocy.

Posted by Ant

Quoting Down The Sun: So let me get this straight, you ran into a smoke-filled room for fun? Was it anything like that special day of boot camp where they run your silly little ass into the gas chamber and have you clear the mask while holding your breath and your god damned eyes are burning like crazy fuckin' hell?

not quite as extreme of course. but it made my voice pretty horse which was pretty xtreme to say the least.

Posted by Crazy K

[quote=Average n00b;614619]If this happens in the states people will go balistic.

It's happening up where I live. I can see it being a good thing for certain places, but allow smoking to be done in bars and such. I can't stand when people smoke, but I don't really care if they do it. It's their own choosing. I just don't want to be around someone who smokes a lot. It would be nice if they outlawed smoking in most public places, which they have pretty much.

Anyways I can see the importance of the ban, people are just trying to stop smoking around public places. Some places should be alright to smoke around or in.

Posted by Tiptoegecko

Quoting Ant: G[COLOR="Lime"]od da[/COLOR]mn I hate non-smokers like this guy above. BOO WOO a tiny bit of smoke got in my lungs. It's prissy *******s like yourself that have ruined most freedoms people have enjoyed for as long as we can remember, but then a few do good goodies show up and boss people around.

You can smoke and kill yourself, the smoking ban inside makes sure you dont kill us who are smart enough not to smoke

Posted by Bebop

Quoting mis0: Hyperbole get? Your health will not be "damaged" by a little second hand smoke. If it was that fragile, you'd never make it to your destination because you'd be killed by exhaust fumes while walking there.

ITT mis0 doesnt understand anything about 2nd hand smoke.

Posted by Tyler Durden

[quote=Tiptoegecko;616783]You can smoke and kill yourself, the smoking ban inside makes sure you dont kill us who are smart enough not to smoke
BIG FUCKING CLUE: Being a smoker has nothing to do with intelligence. GTFO!

Posted by Bebop

Or does it?????????????.......... ;-0

Posted by Tyler Durden

Can I slap you around with my cock?!

Posted by Tiptoegecko

Quoting Down The Sun: BIG FUCKING CLUE: Being a smoker has nothing to do with intelligence. GTFO!

Oh wow lol. If you were intelligent, you wouldn't smoke because you would know it kills you!

lol no

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Anyone calling smokers idiots has obviously never had an addiction.

Posted by Tiptoegecko

Quoting The X: Anyone calling smokers idiots has obviously never had an addiction.

With today's warnings and knowledge of what smoking can do, and absolute idiot would start smoking. I can understand a long time ago when no one knew, but today is no excuse. If you start smoking today, you are an idiot. And me personally, I have never had an addiction because I have seen what it can do. My father was heavily addicted to alcohol and drugs (and also cigarettes, but this story has nothing to do with them) and he was an abusive father/husband, and he was a very mean/angry drunk. The man nearly killed me with a ****ing toy train when I was younger. It was the most horrific thing I ever experienced and it's pierced into my mind. I know I can easily get addicted to things like that because it runs in my father's side of the family, which is why I stay far away from those things.

Inconclusion, I feel bad for the people who are hooked on cigarettes now, because I know it's hard to quit after you have been smoking for many years. For people who are just starting now are complete idiots.

it's typically kids who start smoking. They grow up, regret it, but live with it. Doesn't make them idiots, just immature at the time they started.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

what is peer pressure?

Posted by WillisGreeny

It's the result of when Angels get their wings

Posted by Tiptoegecko

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: it's typically kids who start smoking. They grow up, regret it, but live with it. Doesn't make them idiots, just immature at the time they started.

That's pretty much the case all the time. But I mean couldn't they just think for 1 ****ing second to realize what on earth they are doing to themselves. I find it sad that they don't and do it any way. That's just me. I think the better word would be "immature" instead of "idiot".

Quoted post: what is peer pressure?

What is live above the influence?

Quoted post: That's pretty much the case all the time. But I mean couldn't they just think for 1 ****ing second to realize what on earth they are doing to themselves. I find it sad that they don't and do it any way.

what is being a kid?

Quoted post: What is live above the influence?

what is childhood?

Seriously, it's not that easy. Personally, I've never smoked or even drank, but a lot of people simply can't do that. They don't have the confidence, will-power or proper upbringing. In a kid's mind it's not "what am I doing to myself" but "what will people think of me?"

Posted by Klarth

Booze is tasty.

Posted by Tiptoegecko

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: what is being a kid?

True :P

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: what is childhood?

Seriously, it's not that easy. Personally, I've never smoked or even drank, but a lot of people simply can't do that. They don't have the confidence, will-power or proper upbringing. In a kid's mind it's not "what am I doing to myself" but "what will people think of me?"

For me, it's really freaking easy. I have been offered countless times, I told them flat out no. I guess I don't have those issues other kids don't. And, I honestly don't care what people think of me, they can think that I am fag for not drinking/smoking or for anything else all they want, I am a friendly person, I can find another group and make friends with them.

Quoting netman: Booze is tasty.

lol, especially Red Bull and Vodka. Yummy<3

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Tiptoegecko;617646]For me, it's really freaking easy. I have been offered countless times, I told them flat out no. I guess I don't have those issues other kids don't. And, I honestly don't care what people think of me, they can think that I am fag for not drinking/smoking or for anything else all they want, I am a friendly person, I can find another group and make friends with them.

Peer pressure isn't always flat out 'TAKE THIS DRUG/CIGARETTE/BEER YES OR NO EH EH EH'. I've been in a lot of situations where someone's encouraged me to take a cigarette/drug, and while not directly pressuring me, they've incessentANTly reminded me how harmless it is. (Case in point: shrooms.) Plus, there's a lot of media/advertising where people who are smoking look ****ing awesome. It's a confidence booster.

Posted by Tiptoegecko

Quoting The X: Peer pressure isn't always flat out 'TAKE THIS DRUG/CIGARETTE/BEER YES OR NO EH EH EH'. I've been in a lot of situations where someone's encouraged me to take a cigarette/drug, and while not directly pressuring me, they've incessentANTly reminded me how harmless it is. (Case in point: shrooms.) Plus, there's a lot of media/advertising where people who are smoking look ****ing awesome. It's a confidence booster.

I know, I was just telling you my experiences with peer pressure. I know peer pressure isn't always like " 'TAKE THIS DRUG/CIGARETTE/BEER YES OR NO EH EH EH'. "

Quoted post: For me, it's really freaking easy. I have been offered countless times, I told them flat out no. I guess I don't have those issues other kids don't. And, I honestly don't care what people think of me, they can think that I am fag for not drinking/smoking or for anything else all they want, I am a friendly person, I can find another group and make friends with them.

I didn't have any problem either, but obviously we're not the majority. Otherwise drugs and peer pressure for teens wouldn't be such a huge deal.

Posted by Tiptoegecko

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: I didn't have any problem either, but obviously we're not the majority. Otherwise drugs and peer pressure for teens wouldn't be such a huge deal.

Too bad we aren't >.>

Quoting mis0: Hyperbole get? Your health will not be "damaged" by a little second hand smoke. If it was that fragile, you'd never make it to your destination because you'd be killed by exhaust fumes while walking there.

Hey. **** you.

You weren't in constant pain every winter for the first ten years of your life.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=The X;617601]Anyone calling smokers idiots has obviously never had an addiction.

You're not addicted before you start and there's no sane reason to start. Therefore smokers were stupid a one point in their life and are very weak willed right now.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Speedfreak;627857]You're not addicted before you start and there's no sane reason to start. Therefore smokers were stupid a one point in their life and are very weak willed right now.

I challenge you to give up video games. Right now. Never play them again.

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

Ignoring all the well thought-out posts that everyone has already made, I honestly can't forsee this bill being enforced well at all. It's been some that's been around for such a long time, I don't understand why people would suddenly stop all of a sudden. Seems to be one of those petty "crimes" that everyone gets away with - not wearing helmets, ect (or at least where I live.)

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

let's be honest here. . . having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a "****ing section" in a swimming pool.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Velvet Nightmare;627936]Ignoring all the well thought-out posts that everyone has already made, I honestly can't forsee this bill being enforced well at all. It's been some that's been around for such a long time, I don't understand why people would suddenly stop all of a sudden. Seems to be one of those petty "crimes" that everyone gets away with - not wearing helmets, ect (or at least where I live.)

It's being enforced. Definitely.

Again, without reading back, what are the penalties, a fine or something?

Posted by protomanv4

Wow i'm not surprised, where I live smokeing is baned in the same places, but u can smoke 25ft from the location of wherever it is (in lots of places no one cares bout the rule they just smoke right in front of the location or somewhat near it.I don't think the government wants to ban it from homes though support it

Quoted post: Again, without reading back, what are the penalties, a fine or something?

Restaurant is fined, potentially shut down.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=The X;627918]I challenge you to give up video games. Right now. Never play them again.

So I guess you're my arch-rival, the King of S[COLOR=lightgreen]h[/COLOR]it Analogies.

Videogames are a pleasurable experience and have numerous mental benefits. Cigarettes give you no high whatsoever, the only thing they give is what they took away in the first place. Giving up something you enjoy for no good reason would take an immeasurable amount of willpower, giving up something that isn't pleasurable, having plenty of good reasons to do so and with only a chemical addiction to face wouldn't be as difficult. Mind over matter, motherf[COLOR=lightgreen]u[/COLOR]cker.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Speedfreak;628934]So I guess you're my arch-rival, the King of S[COLOR=lightgreen]h[/COLOR]it Analogies.

Videogames are a pleasurable experience and have numerous mental benefits. Cigarettes give you no high whatsoever, the only thing they give is what they took away in the first place. Giving up something you enjoy for no good reason would take an immeasurable amount of willpower, giving up something that isn't pleasurable, having plenty of good reasons to do so and with only a chemical addiction to face wouldn't be as difficult. Mind over matter, motherf[COLOR=lightgreen]u[/COLOR]cker.

It's pleasurable to some people. Personally, I find it calms me down quite a lot.

And video games are definitely bad for you. They bring out your aggressive side Speedy. :(

Quoted post: Cigarettes give you no high whatsoever

Maybe not a high, but they calm you down and make the smoker feel good and secure typically. How you can say it's not a pleasurable experience blows my mind.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;628954]Maybe not a high, but they calm you down and make the smoker feel good and secure typically. How you can say it's not a pleasurable experience blows my mind.

They don't calm you down. It actually has similar properties to caffeine and makes your pulse quicken. They make you feel secure because you're feeding the addiction that took away that secure feeling in the first place.

99% of smokers also think it tastes bad.

Doesn't sound pleasurable to me.

Posted by Xenos

Its surely not a pleasurable experience to the person sitting next to 'em either.

Posted by Oforia

Quoting Speedfreak: They don't calm you down. It actually has similar properties to caffeine and makes your pulse quicken. They make you feel secure because you're feeding the addiction that took away that secure feeling in the first place.

Exactly, it may not feel good, but the body is dependent on the nicotine and other chemicals in the cigarette itself. Cigarettes do not give you a "buzz" and they are in no way, shape, or form like marijuana.

Posted by Iris

If anything, an alltogether ban will just help people break the habit. It's not remotely good for people, and this extent of self-destructive behavior needs to be dealt with one way or another.

I support the ban, both as some one who knows many smokers and as some one who's likely to feel the effects of second-hand in a matter of years.

Posted by Fate

I used to like cigarette smoke because there was a strange thing I got out of it. It smelled good to me. Now I hate it because I know why it did.

Posted by Speedfreak

The fines are hardcore, too. It's like a

Posted by Hyper

Quoting Speedfreak: They don't calm you down. It actually has similar properties to caffeine and makes your pulse quicken. They make you feel secure because you're feeding the addiction that took away that secure feeling in the first place.

All correct. Smoking wouldn't calm you down the first time you did it. It would probably excite you because you're trying a new thing. After you're addicted, smoking only calms down the excitement the nicotine induces due to the addiction. To start smoking is stupid. To continue to smoke, while understandable, is still a horrible idea.

Posted by Iris

Desperate measures are neccessary to put an end to permanent lung damage.

Edit: Sorry buddy, that was meant as a response to Speedfreak.

Posted by Fate

I'd rather spend $30 on a box of Nicorette for a month than $60+ for cigs.

Posted by Hyper

Taking out the "merchants of death" with huge fines will hopefully deal an equally huge blow to the tobacco corporations and expedite the end of all smoking.

Posted by Oforia

Quoting Hyper: Taking out the "merchants of death" with huge fines will hopefully deal an equally huge blow to the tobacco corporations and expedite the end of all smoking.

Or at least an attempt to put an end to it. I doubt it would be possible to exterminate it; however, now that we are aware of the dangers faced with smoking, it will definitely assist people by moving them into the right direction.

Posted by Hyper

True. Maybe total annihilation of the habit is impossible, but a severe cut-back of it can be attained.

Posted by Fate

Eradication doesn't sound like a bad idea, to tell you the truth. :/

Posted by Hyper

It isn't a bad idea but it's also not a very plausible idea. We can only hope.

Posted by Oforia

Eradication of child pedophiles is a great idea too, but probably won't happen.

I agree with you all on your standpoints, though personally don't see how eradication is possible when it comes to smoking. It has been done throughout history. Though, as I said before, we were unaware of the dangers until the modern age. Now with recent technology, we are able to see why it is such a bad idea to inhale one cigarette, much less get hooked on them for life.

Posted by Fate

Eradication sounds great, but I know it won't happen. You know, laws, civil liberties, what have you. I figure if I'm walking down the street and some guy walks past me with a cigarette lit up I have the right to dropkick his face.

Posted by Xenos

Its a shame. We really should ban alcohal, cigarettes and drugs altogether. What has it ever done for society?

Posted by Hyper

Amen. The havoc these things have wreaked on society are in no way justifiable with the temporary pleasure they deliver.

Posted by Iris

Eradication seems a bit more effective than it would on other substances, since so many people smoke mostly in public.

Prohibition of alcohol was already attempted.

Posted by Fate

And failed because Congress decided it wasn't such a good idea. People have had it for years so taking it away sounds monstrous. A weaning would be a good choice.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Fate: Eradication sounds great, but I know it won't happen. You know, laws, civil liberties, what have you. I figure if I'm walking down the street and some guy walks past me with a cigarette lit up I have the right to dropkick his face.

I'll assume that the basis for this argument is that you have the right to self defense based on the fact that he has taken an action that has led to a degree of damage on your part.

Well guess what? Your complete lack of logic and respect for the rights of others has made me angry. As a result, my pulse has quickened and my blood presure has risen. now, this may not be a great deal of damage, but then again neither is a half a microgram of possible carcinogens that you MAY have inhaled in your example. So by your own logic, I should be allowed to punch you in the face.

Also, considering that you line in a ****ING MAJOR CITY you really dont have any right to complain. The air quality is already low enough just by walking outside that you would pretty much have to be an active first hand smoker to increase the damage being done to you lungs. especially since Disney incinerates trash as part of its internal power generation:cookie:

And dont try the "oh but you dont have to get angry" thing, either. you dont have to put yourself in situations where you come into heavy contact with smokers. Dont want to hang out in smokey bars? BAM, dont go do bars. problem solved. Someones walks by you smoking a cig? OH NOES you might have to hold your breath for half a second as they step by.

Seriously, you're all being giant pussies about this. Fact is most of you are probably horridly unhealthy anyway. I'd bet few among you could run a continuous mile, or lift your own body weight. Hell, most of you arent even old enought o hang out in bars anyway and yet you're still ****ing and moaning as if someone is shotgunning smoke into your face 24/7.

You can all suck my nuts.

edit: oh, and yeah, social legislation of personal vices has totally worked in the past. tell that you the backers of prohibition and the war on freedo-er, drugs.

Posted by Iris

Cigarettes are unneccessary air pollution. The ends justify the means with air pollution from factories and such though, as those industries exist to do things that are also beneficial for people. Second-hand smoke comes from various different sources, not just bars and such, and can't neccessarily be avoided all the time. City environments can. It's silly to compare the two.

Regardless of how unhealthy some one is, forcing them into an environment where a vital organ can become significantly damaged is equally bad than if they were healthier.

Posted by Fate

I can run a continuous mile but I can't lift ****. I must be unhealthy.

Also, I live in Austin now.
:mad:

Posted by Xenos

Its interesting how infant fatality rates are directly correlated to second hand smoking.

Posted by Fate

Yep. SIDS, mostly, right?

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Iris: Cigarettes are unneccessary air pollution. The ends justify the means with air pollution from factories and such though, as those industries exist to do things that are also beneficial for people. Second-hand smoke comes from various different sources, not just bars and such, and can't neccessarily be avoided all the time. City environments can. It's silly to compare the two.

Regardless of how unhealthy some one is, forcing them into an environment where a vital organ can become significantly damaged is equally bad than if they were healthier.

The cigarette industry is a multi billion dollar a year industry. if the pollution from other industries can be justified by its social impact, why not cigarettes? Also, calling the effects of second hand smoke "significant" is disingenuous. I have lived with second hand smoke my entire life, went through a 2 year period where i smoked more herb than cheech and chong combined, and occasionally enjoy a cigar at a party. But guess what? this is the healthiest I have ever been.

[quote=fate]I can run a continuous mile but I can't lift ****. I must be unhealthy.

Also, I live in Austin now.

I give you about two weeks to live.

I dont care:mad2:

[quote] Its interesting how infant fatality rates are directly correlated to second hand smoking.

Again, a misleading statement. Putting an infant in a home environment where there is second hand smoke is VASTLY different from outside exposure. For one, the smoke is going to be trapped (duh) and recycled through the AC system. Two, the amount of exposure is likely to be great (in terms of actual smoke exposed) since the mother/father is likely to smoke more than one cig (whereas passing outdoor exposure might be for 1/100th of the total pollution of a cigarette).

facts, ladies. try and get some.

Posted by Oforia

Or infants being exposed to bars constantly where smoke is constantly circulating through ventilation systems. Either way, it isn't always private you know.

Posted by Tiptoegecko

Quoting Xenos: Its a shame. We really should ban alcohal, cigarettes and drugs altogether. What has it ever done for society?

We have tried alchohol, that didn't work. People still do drugs even though it's against the law, and people will still smoke even if it's against the law, I would love it if they did that but it won't stop people :(

Posted by Ant

I completely agree with Lord of Spam. I like how you guys all circle jerked there for a moment and then he came to rain on your parade. I also find it funny how I can find the correlations about how you feel on the smoking to how you mod the boards. Well, less funny, and more so creepy as hell.

Posted by Oforia

Quoting Tiptoegecko: We have tried alchohol, that didn't work. People still do drugs even though it's against the law, and people will still smoke even if it's against the law, I would love it if they did that but it won't stop people :(

As I previously stated, there will naturally be an underground market for whatever illegal substance you want. We were stating that in a utopia, or perfect world, it would be ideal if there were cigarette bans. I personally think that it would be good for people, but if the intentions are for it to stop smoking altogether, then it is quite futile.

Posted by Xenos

Mm, I think that over the ages, the need might die as it becomes more culturally unacceptable.

Posted by Oforia

Precisely. Cultural unpopularity as well as medical advancements are definitely what are causing the blows to the tobacco companies and ultimately contributing to their decreased productivity.

Posted by Lord of Spam

You guys can talk about "oh but in a perfect world blah blah *idiotic tripe*" all you want, but fact is it aint gonna happen. Why? because you apparently fail to understand that your perfect world isnt everyone else's. So stop being such egocentric ****s and learn to actually think in teh real world.

Quoting Oforia: Or infants being exposed to bars constantly where smoke is constantly circulating through ventilation systems. Either way, it isn't always private you know.

I'll assume that you arent being serious when you talk about infants being exposed to ****ing smokey bars. If there are children in bars, then thats more of an issue of the child having an unfit parent than any sort of environmental hazards.

Quoting Xenos: Mm, I think that over the ages, the need might die as it becomes more culturally unacceptable.

people will always do **** that they arent supposed to do. thousands of years of laws which have included death penalties have failed to break the human will.

Posted by Fate

Of course its' not going to happen. In a perfect world, people wouldn't need harmful substances. Get it?

Posted by mis0

WHY DO YOU IDIOTS IGNORE ME WHEN I MAKE A GOOD POINT?

Earlier in this thread, I pointed out that people accept lots and lots of things which are carcinogenic, even if it's fairly common knowledge.

EXAMPLES:
Teflon coatings on pans? CARCINOGENIC.
Soaps, shampoos, and cosmetics that contain cocamide diethanolamine? CARCINOGENIC.
Cat litter and household cleaners that contain crystallized silica? CARCINOGENIC.
Adhesives that contain dioctyl phthalate? CARCINOGENIC.
Window cleaners that contain dioxane? CARCINOGENIC.
FLUORIDE, YES THAT STUFF THEY ADD TO WATER, IS A CARCINOGEN. It's also in your toothpaste.
Anything with lead in it is going to be CARCINOGENIC.
Cleaning products with petroleum distillates? CARCINOGENIC.
Plexiglass? CARCINOGENIC.
Polyvinyl chloride (PVC)? CARCINOGENIC.

Oh yeah, some chemicals in cigarettes? CARCINOGENIC.

My point is you guys, especially Fate, who think walking by a smoker is a threat to your life that demands a punch to the face, are incredibly stupid. I guarantee every single one of you have been exposed to several of the things I listed, some of them on a daily basis. Every time you drink a glass of tap water in the United States, you're drinking down a glass of carcinogens. If you wash your hair with a certain shampoo, you're foliating with carcinogens. If you use the wrong type of tape or glue, you've just adhered two things together with carcinogens. Pressing your face against that plexiglass window at the exbihit is pretty stupid because it's carcingenic.

Yes, cigarettes are not only bad for the smoker, but they're bad TO AN EXTENT for those around, but think of all of the tens if not hundreds of products you are exposed to that can be carcinogenic or contain carcinogenic elements? Just walking down the street in the city is toxic to begin with, walking by a smoker is not making it any worse.

Also, the prohibition of alcohol proved itself to be incredibly stupid, and a prohibition of smoking in general probably would be as well. At least in America, you're supposed to be free to destroy your life. I am for smoking bans in most public areas (with the exception of bars, because alcohol isn't any less lethal than cigarettes, and is carcinogenic in high concentrations) but I will say that I am not amused with the overwhelming display of ignorance I have seen here.

Stop being stupid. I'm not begging you, I'm telling you.

ERADICATION, ERADICATION, ERADICATION, ERADICATION, ERADICATION.

Posted by Lord of Spam

[quote=Fate]Of course its' not going to happen. In a perfect world, people wouldn't need harmful substances. Get it?

Quoting Lord of Spam: You guys can talk about "oh but in a perfect world blah blah *idiotic tripe*" all you want, but fact is it aint gonna happen. Why? because you apparently fail to understand that your perfect world isnt everyone else's. So stop being such egocentric ****s and learn to actually think in teh real world.

[quote=Fate]Of course its' not going to happen. In a perfect world, people wouldn't need harmful substances. Get it?

Quoting Lord of Spam: You guys can talk about "oh but in a perfect world blah blah *idiotic tripe*" all you want, but fact is it aint gonna happen. Why? because you apparently fail to understand that your perfect world isnt everyone else's. So stop being such egocentric ****s and learn to actually think in teh real world.

ARE YOU ENTIRELY RETARDED?

Posted by Fate

CAPITAL LETTERS

My life is threatened all over the place. Hell, my life is threatened just by working in retail. I know dangers of the world. There's electric waves, there are car accidents, harmful UV rays, etc. wherever I go. Know what? I expose myself to that. Smoking? I don't. Smoking in public is not a good idea. Smoking in private facilities I'm fine with.

I've decided you guys suck.

Posted by Iris

I agree, though the need for private facilities isn't even that neccessary. As long as it's done outside, the smoke pollution isn't going to greatly affect people around it, as it would it an office or restaurant.

Miso: I understand they all contain carcinogens, but exactly how many of those come in contact with vital internal organs?

Posted by Bebop

I have yet to hear one good argument on why this ban should not be enforced.

Ive been going to many a pub and club since the ban was put into affect and beleive me that whole "no one will go out/ ruin the atmosphere (which of course is kind of ironic in a way)" BS really hasnt happened. People still go out and spend money, people have no problem going to designated areas to smoke. So theres been so social problem or at least not as big as people feared.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Bebop: I have yet to hear one good argument on why this ban should not be enforced.

oh gee i dont know because an entire group of people is being forced to alter their way of life so that someone can feel better about how their lungs are doing whiel they trash their liver? Civil liberties, you know, that whole mess?

Oh, no, wait. youre british. never mind. enjoy your police state.

Posted by S

My only concern with the entire issue, because I frankly don't give a **** either way (People killing themselves is none of my concern. Let them weed out their own genes.), is as follows: If you ban pot, ban cigarettes and alcohol. If you ban cigarettes, ban alcohol and pot. If you ban alcohol, ban pot and cigarettes. These are all very closely tied and either you go all the way or you don't go at all. There's no half-assing and double-standards when it comes to something like this. Making a moral stand is not exclusive to one of these substances, rather all of them.

Posted by mis0

Quoting Iris: Miso: I understand they all contain carcinogens, but exactly how many of those come in contact with vital internal organs?

Well, lots of those are in aerosols, so,you're breathing them just like cigarette smoke. You can also breathe in particles that come from some of those products as they break down. Some chemicals can be absorbed by skin, and obviously some are injested. I figured this would be fairly obvious, honestly.

This is what I'm getting at. You're being exposed to carcinogens simply by touching some of these things, and the carcinogenic chemicals can be absorbed into your skin. Yet, cigarette smoke is equated to someone stabbing you repeatedly.

I'm one of the people in favor of the ban with the exception of bars. I'm not saying you should accept cigarette smoke, but I am saying you come into contact with tens if not hundreds of different carcinogenic products but there isn't nearly the outcry about these that there is about cigarettes even though some of them aremore toxic. Yeah, I know you're going to say that smoking is likely more widespread, but cancer is cancer, right?
[quote=Fate]CAPITAL LETTERS

My life is threatened all over the place. Hell, my life is threatened just by working in retail. I know dangers of the world. There's electric waves, there are car accidents, harmful UV rays, etc. wherever I go. Know what? I expose myself to that. Smoking? I don't. Smoking in public is not a good idea. Smoking in private facilities I'm fine with.

I've decided you guys suck.

You're an idiot. "LOL I'LL PANCH U 4 SMOKING AND ME WALKING BAI U!!! UR TRYIN TO CANCER ME!!"

Puh-lease. There are roughly 3,500 lung cancer deaths annually from second hand smoke exposure, which is what you're having a fit about. Someone is killed every 13 minutes in an auto crash. Even if you're not driving, 5,500 pedestrians are killed annually. Simply put? Your example was walking down a street, and passing a smoker. When walking down the street you should probably punch every motorist that passes you because they're far more likely to kill you, in terms of just numbers, than the smoker is. This doesn't even take into consideration your hyperbolic reasoning that one wiff of cigarette smoke significantly increases your chances of developing lung cancer.

Stop hating LoS and I because we use LOGIC. Moron.

Posted by Fate

Um, I merely want to punch the guy 'cause I think cigarettes are gross. I don't know what you're talking about. :/

Posted by Lord of Spam

I think you're gross. Should I find myself in texas I will take you up on the free facepunch! :cookie:

Posted by mis0

Quoting Fate: Um, I merely want to punch the guy 'cause I think cigarettes are gross. I don't know what you're talking about. :/

That's what you said, but the context you said it in implied that it was more than "cigarettes are gross" that makes you want to act in such a manner.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I think I am the only person here who has enough common sense to say "yes, I smoke" but agree that nobody, myself included, should be allowed to smoke. Smokers know it's bad for us. Smokers know we shouldn't do it. But why quit? We all have our reasons. Illegality is a good reason to quit, methinks. But I'm one of those "we can tell you what to do with your body" jerkoff types when it comes to seat belts, drugs, smoking, and abortion. You know, I'm consistent and everything. It's nice being consistent. You should try it.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Thats what annoying me here more than anything. Its not the OH NOES BAN CIGS, that I can take. its the OH NOES THIS ONE THING IS BAD FOR ME but oh well about the other stuff that is.

Posted by Hyper

Cigarettes are more notorious and annoying than anything else mentioned in this thread. At least most of the other carcinogens mis0 listed serve practical purposes.

Posted by mis0

I don't really care about purpose. If you're scared enough of carcinogens, I'm sure you could potentially find a way to live and avoid most of them. It's the fact that you attack one carcinogenic product that ****es me off, especially because, like I said, you come into contact with so many of the others. It seems a bit hypocritical to say one carcinogen (cigarette smoke) is worse than the lot of what I posted, and a multitude of carcinogens I did not talk about (gasoline vapors are probably one you guys recieve regular exposure to, for example). And I find the hyperbolic reactions I've seen exhibited from many of you in this thread about the potential effects of carcinogens to be quite laughable. You're more likely to die in a car accident or be murdered than you are to develop cancer as a result of second hand smoke exposure (which, unlike sudden accidental death or being murdered, you could potentially survive). But really, let's concern ourselves with something that is so much less likely to occur to us, because it's an effective use of our time!

The amount of ignorance it must require to suggest some of the things I've heard in this thread is astonishing. Whomever it was who suggested a new prohibition really ought to go back to high school; had you learned anything, you'd know that things greatly worsened under the stupid act. Not to mention that it seems fundamentally un-American anyway.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Lord of Spam: oh gee i dont know because an entire group of people is being forced to alter their way of life so that someone can feel better about how their lungs are doing whiel they trash their liver? Civil liberties, you know, that whole mess?

Oh, no, wait. youre british. never mind. enjoy your police state.

Putting restrictions on one persons rights to protect another persons is the lesser of 2 evils. Lol wut?
You're American right? Lol like you really believe in that liberty crap. Newsflash sweetheart, rights are an illusions. Not pulling some faggy gothic anti-world thing here, but it really is the truth. My original point still stands, I have yet to hear a good argument.

Posted by Hyper

lets see... i'm admitting i dont mind living with those other carcinogens because they all directly benefit my life while at the same time posing a risk. how do cigarettes - which do pose a risk - directly benefit my life? oh, right, they don't. lets see which one I support a ban for now.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Hyper: lets see... i'm admitting i dont mind living with those other carcinogens because they all directly benefit my life while at the same time posing a risk. how do cigarettes - which do pose a risk - directly benefit my life? oh, right, they don't. lets see which one I support a ban for now.

oh hey i dont care, so that means nobody else should either.

I dont really care about TV. havent watched any real amount of it in years. Its bad for you as it supports a sedentary and unhealthy life style, while at the same time supporting unhealthy commercialism and superficiality. ZOMG BAN TV.

Seriously, how can you people be this retarded? America was ****ing founded on the concept that just because you dont like something doesnt give you the right to **** on everyone else's parade.

Posted by Fate

LoS, can't you use better examples? Tying a television to cigarettes is stretching it. :(

Posted by Bebop

Spam youre overreacting so much. Insisting one person excercise their right somewhere else is the best option.

Posted by mis0

Quoting Hyper: lets see... i'm admitting i dont mind living with those other carcinogens because they all directly benefit my life while at the same time posing a risk. how do cigarettes - which do pose a risk - directly benefit my life? oh, right, they don't. lets see which one I support a ban for now.

So you're saying that'd you accept lung cancer if it means having a clean bathroom?

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Fate: LoS, can't you use better examples? Tying a television to cigarettes is stretching it. :(

Howso? Its a habit that is detrimental to one persons health that also has impacts on the greater overall health of society. its the exact same. it may not be as dramatic, but when analyzed is much the same. Sorry to burst your bubble, but if you're going to take asinine stands on things you havent thought out I'm going to take them to their logical conclusions and show just how retarded they are.

Posted by Iris

Maybe because TVs are practical? :)

Posted by Lord of Spam

As I said, I havent watched any significant amount of TV in years, and am probably better informed abour global events than most of you. Its called a newspaper, look into it. :cookie:

Posted by Iris

Uh, actually what I was going to say has nothing to do with news, since it's certainly not exclusive to television.

TV is more practical because the severity of its effects are so much lower and it has meaningful uses. Unlike cigarettes, television isn't chemically addictive, and an unhealthy lifestyle caused by watching too much TV can be completely reversed with little effort. Cigarettes? Well, unless you get a lung transplant, your lungs will be permanently damaged. Besides, it's not so much watching TV that makes you unhealthy, it's eating while you do it and becoming too lazy to burn off the calories. Is every TV-viewer fat and lazy? Certainly not. Is every regular smoker doing permanent lung damage and voluntarily putting themselves at risk of cancer while hardly benefitting from the effects of cigarettes? Yes.

Here's a better comparison: Cigarettes are like cocaine. You can get somewhere around the same high from marijuana, but cocaine is ultimately worse for your health.

Posted by S

[quote=Bebop]Putting restrictions on one persons rights to protect another persons is the lesser of 2 evils. Lol wut?
You're American right? Lol like you really believe in that liberty crap. Newsflash sweetheart, rights are an illusions. Not pulling some faggy gothic anti-world thing here, but it really is the truth. My original point still stands, I have yet to hear a good argument.

Bebop: Shut up. You've revoked your own privilege to talk about anything intellectual.

LoS: A better analogy may be due. There are too many variables in the one you poised about television. Television can be used responsibly, cigarettes are very hard to use in that fashion. Equally, television, unlike cigarettes, is dependent wholly on the society. Our current society may abuse it, but technology is never inherently bad. Just like a gun, the way it's used is the difference between good and bad.

This argument turned into some weird jumble-**** of counter-arguments and lost inferences.

Posted by Lord of Spam

The point still stands that you guys are making exceptions for no viable reasons. Ok, these carcinogens are good, but these are bad. Uh, sorry, what? There are ways to get around pretty much anything that you could compare it to, but we dont. Why? Who ****ing cares, thats why. Oh noes, the risk went up a few tenths of a percent, woe is me. clearly that gives me the right to tell others how to behave.

This isnt going to be resolved, as at this points its not really the issue of smoking that we're reall;y discussing; its the view on how much civil liberty we are willing to give up in the name of living soft, cushy lives. I'd give up very, VERY little if any, whereas Iris and Co. are willing to wipe their *** with the constitution to get what they want.

Posted by Iris

Civil liberties can only go so far without infringing upon the rights of others. Who would figure that the right to partake in a disgusting and unhealthy habit doesn't outweigh the right for everyone in the area to breath cleaner air? I'm all for personal rights, but lighting up in public certainly affects those around you as well.

As for carcinogens, **** that. Everything causes cancer nowadays. The difference is that stuff like teflon and shampoo aren't meant to be ingested and normally aren't when used properly, and their potency is dictated by how much gets into your body. Carcinogens from cigarette smoke are going to be inhaled no matter how you smoke it, by both you and anyone near you. That's how cigarettes work. Honestly, is this such a difficult concept to understand?

Posted by Bebop

The constitution hasnt exacltly been followed very well for along time Spam. A smoking ban in public places is hardly the tarnish on your civil rights when you look at reality.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Lord of Spam;630665]oh gee i dont know because a small group of immature people upset over the fact that what used to be their cool socialising tactic is now a disgusting, unhealthy turnoff is being forced to alter their way of life so that most people can go to their favourite hangout without it smelling like a[COLOR=lightgreen]s[/COLOR]s yet still retain the freedom to smoke somewhere not in public and drink enough alcohol to trash their liver. Civil liberties, you know, that whole mess?

Oh, no, wait. youre british. never mind. enjoy your police state. USA! USA! USA!

Fixed.

BOL, you think America has more freedom than here? You guys can't even drink til you're 21, your beer doesn't even have the percentage on the bottle because Captain America thinks you might go and get too drunk with the strong stuff. Oh, and don't forget those awful rude words you can't say on TV despite the fact that your precious 40-year-old-p[COLOR=lightgreen]i[/COLOR]ss soaked constitution is supposed to protect your freedom of speech! Be careful flying to any country that might actually want you, too, because America has too much liberty to allow more than 100ml of bottled water on the plane, and it certainly doesn't set up bag checks within 20 metres of eachother. But oh nos, Fox News said speed cameras are exactly like 1984 so let's ignore all our own country's bulls[COLOR=lightgreen]h[/COLOR]it for a second and make fun of the limeys. Hahaha, freedom, my a[COLOR=lightgreen]s[/COLOR]s; you don't know the meaning of the word.

Now excuse me while I legally download free music after walking home drinking the free beer I got from work (that you could drink from 16) before my sweary, taboo-filled show starts at 9.

Posted by Bebop

The smoking ban isnt even removing your right to smoke anyway. You can still smoke. You still have the right to smoke so you cant use that "lol liberty or death" BS

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Iris: Civil liberties can only go so far without infringing upon the rights of others. Who would figure that the right to partake in a disgusting and unhealthy habit doesn't outweigh the right for everyone in the area to breath cleaner air? I'm all for personal rights, but lighting up in public certainly affects those around you as well.

As for carcinogens, **** that. Everything causes cancer nowadays. The difference is that stuff like teflon and shampoo aren't meant to be ingested and normally aren't when used properly, and their potency is dictated by how much gets into your body. Carcinogens from cigarette smoke are going to be inhaled no matter how you smoke it, by both you and anyone near you. That's how cigarettes work. Honestly, is this such a difficult concept to understand?

Again, second hand smoke, under most of the circumstances you are listing, has negligable hazards. As I already said, if you live anywhere NEAR a developed area, the air is already pretty much as bad as second hand smoke. And if you dont want to be around people that smoke? Guess what? LEAVE. Man, I know its crazy, but it just might work. For instance, I dont like kids, but I love video games. Do I go to arcades and ***** about the kids? No, I stay my *** at home and play there. Its a REALLY simple concept. Dont like smoke? Gtfo. bam, prob solved. And dont go for the "oh wah but i want a smoke free environment blah blah blah". If there was enough of a demand for smoke free areas, then the privat3e sector would move to fill that gap. but guess what? there isnt. Most places ban smoking only when told that they HAVE to.

But now we've come full circle, because once again you're trying to draw distinctions between carcinogens when there is none. Like it or not, the vasst majority of things contribute to cancer. And even with that, the death rate is STILL rediculously low. Miso was talkign about death rates in the thousands out of all of america. 1.6x10^-5. Thats a rediculously low amount.

but i have to go now so ill finish this thought later

Posted by Bebop

The "if you dont like smokers leave" argument is retarded. It works both ways. If you cant smoke somewhere, whether it be due to a law, or up to the managers discretion, or even if your friend doesnt want you smoking in his house, go somewhere else.

Posted by Iris

[quote=Lord of Spam;631258]Again, second hand smoke, under most of the circumstances you are listing, has negligable hazards. As I already said, if you live anywhere NEAR a developed area, the air is already pretty much as bad as second hand smoke. And if you dont want to be around people that smoke? Guess what? LEAVE. Man, I know its crazy, but it just might work. For instance, I dont like kids, but I love video games. Do I go to arcades and ***** about the kids? No, I stay my *** at home and play there. Its a REALLY simple concept. Dont like smoke? Gtfo. bam, prob solved. And dont go for the "oh wah but i want a smoke free environment blah blah blah". If there was enough of a demand for smoke free areas, then the privat3e sector would move to fill that gap. but guess what? there isnt. Most places ban smoking only when told that they HAVE to.
Second hand smoke has the same hazards as first-hand smoke. Unless you're like 20 feet away and allow the smoke to dissipate, you're getting the same effect. Also, it's not negligible considering it takes a while of being around no smoke whatsoever to recover the slightest bit, and unless you're a hermit living in a house with no smokers, that's pretty **** near impossible. Yeah, taking a whiff of a cigarette very occasionally isn't going to kill you, but that's ****ing unrealistic and you know it. Also, don't give me the "don't like it, leave" bull****. Non-smokers are the majority here, and it's both biased and idiotic to require them to either live with it or go somewhere else simply because they wish to take a certain measure of protecting their health.

Also, if there wasn't enough demand for smoke-free public environments, this law wouldn't have been passed.

[quote]But now we've come full circle, because once again you're trying to draw distinctions between carcinogens when there is none. Like it or not, the vasst majority of things contribute to cancer. And even with that, the death rate is STILL rediculously low. Miso was talkign about death rates in the thousands out of all of america. 1.6x10^-5. Thats a rediculously low amount.

but i have to go now so ill finish this thought later
I never said there was a distinction between the carcinogens themselves. It's rather the likelihood of them getting into your system from all of those different products. Unless you eat cat litter and swallow your shampoo, none of those are likely to affect you. If you inhale any amount of cigarette smoke though, you're taking a direct hit to your lungs from the carcinogens found in the smoke. The whole "just as deadly" thing is complete bull****.

Posted by Fate

I don't know why we have to talk about death and cigarettes, since it's an extreme (yeah, I know people die, but it's over a long period of time). The ban isn't to save lives and all that crap, it's to keep smoking limited to those who smoke. Simple.

Posted by mis0

Quoting Iris: As for carcinogens, **** that. Everything causes cancer nowadays. The difference is that stuff like teflon and shampoo aren't meant to be ingested and normally aren't when used properly, and their potency is dictated by how much gets into your body. Carcinogens from cigarette smoke are going to be inhaled no matter how you smoke it, by both you and anyone near you. That's how cigarettes work. Honestly, is this such a difficult concept to understand?

HEY, LISTEN. I ALREADY EXPLAINED THAT MERELY TOUCHING SOME OF THESE PRODUCTS ALLOWS FOR THE CARCINOGENIC ELEMENTS TO BE ABSORBED BY YOUR SKIN.

So, shampoo will be absorbed by your scalp, and Teflon, which contacts your food, will be injested. Furthermore, carcinogens in aerosols will be breathed in, just like cigarette smoke. But you're not seriously saying that exposure to secondhand smoke = smoking the cigarette, are you? Because not only common sense, but statistics, would kick you in the face for being stupid. This is because most smokers smoke alot, while non smokers probably get a wiff of smoke here or there (in the US; in Britian, I had moderate exposure to second hand smoke). There is obviously a significant difference in the concentration of carcinogens and the amount you are exposed to.

I go all over the place and on a normal day, I might smell a bit of cigarette smoke. I'm thoroughly convinced that being stuck in rush hour traffic for thirty miles is more detrimental for my health. Why? Because even if I close the windows and run the the a/c, I have the choice of either sucking in "fresh" contaminated air or recirculating what's already in the car. That's probably significantly detrimental than walking by a smoker.

On the other hand, you may use shampoo or a cleaner every day. That's probably far more exposure to carcinogens than a wiff of secondhand smoke, but obviously cancer is OK if it's caused by something you chose!

And yeah, while you may not be "saying" it, you're implying it with your silly little "practicality" argument.

Posted by Lord of Spam

*** i love vgc

Posted by Speedfreak

THE ONLY NEGATIVE TO SMOKING IS SECOND HAND SMOKE.

Wait...no.

Posted by Hyper

I'm still wondering why things with positive AND negative effects are exactly the same, if not worse, than something with purely negative effects. Can someone explain that to me again without skipping over the part about how many carcinogens, while having a great potential to cause cancer, benefit lives in other ways compared to cigarettes, which have a great potential to cause cancer, benefit no lives in any significant way?

Posted by Lord of Spam

Yeah, cuz knocking out a huge, multibillion dollar a year industry will have no negative effects:cookie:

I guess I should actually say what I think should be done as opposed to just telling you all you're stupid. I'm down with the age of consent and all that. I'm down with limiting it in certain high risk areas (hospitals, areas with flamable material, etc). Aside from that, suck it up. If you dont want to be around smokers, fine, leave. Its that simple. Go somewhere else. If there is enough of a demand to warrant imposing your will on someone else, then there should be enough of a demand to have places voluntarily make themselves smoke free to attract the nonsmokers. But guess what? Most people either smoke or (more likely) dont give a **** if they inhale .03 micrograms of tar (exageration, not exact, so dont go AH HA I FOUND A MISTAKE). Its just pointless infringment on the rights of a group based on the fact that another group doesnt like them. And hell, I'm not even a **** smoker in public. I've smoked 5 cigars in the last month and a half, and they were always when I was drunk at parties on private residences.

Posted by Fate

If some guy sitting next to me waiting for a bus decides to light up, I think it's pretty rude if I just said to him moments before when he asked me for an extra cigarette, "I don't smoke." Sorry, bum guy, do you want me to put my gum under your shoes while you're not looking? It's not going to kill you, but it sure as hell doesn't benefit you and and sure is annoying.

Posted by Xenos

You are right about that one, Fate. What's worse is when a hobo not only asks for a cigarette, but when they are looking down your shirt while asking.

Posted by Hyper

Quoting Xenos: but when they are looking down your shirt while asking.

I get that a lot.

----------------------

All we're asking is for smokers to be more considerate about the rights of others. If they can't have the common decency to not smoke around non-smokers then the ban should be put into place to ensure it.

"Yeah, cuz knocking out a huge, multibillion dollar a year industry will have no negative effects"

The economy would survive. More people would live to contribute to the economy as well.

edit: But knocking out the industry isn't what we're asking for here anyway.

Posted by Fate

That's a superb thing to say, Hyper.

Xenos: He did say I was purty after asking me for a cigarette. He even told his hobo friend across the street.
:(

Posted by Iris

Hyper pretty much nailed it. It's not like non-smokers walk up to random people and yell at them to put their cigarettes out. It's usually people lighting up when you're already around them, and in most environments, it's poor manners on the smoker's behalf not to do it elsewhere.

Oh yeah, cigarette industries make lots of money. That justifies their product for sure!!

Posted by Lord of Spam

Hey, its worked for alcohol and numerous other products that kill :Cookie:

Posted by Hyper

So you're saying that profiting from advertising and selling addiction to a harmful habit that doesn't do any good besides putting more money in the pockets of the industry is justified?