New Seven Wonders of the World

Posted by Xenos

http://www.new7wonders.com

[SIZE=3] [FONT=Tahoma]In that case, I chose Acropolis, Angkor, Colosseum, Great Wall, Stonehenge, Petra and Taj Mahal. I really wanted to vote for Hagia Sophia, but I decided Stonehenge in the end.[/FONT][/SIZE]

Posted by Ant

I voted for the: Acropolis, Colosseum, Great Wall, Machu Picchu, Statue of Liberty, Stonehenge, and Taj Mahal.

The only one I wasn't quite sure on was The Statue of Liberty. The rest were pretty easy.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Why do we need new ones?

Posted by Xenos

I thought at first its landmarks past a certain date, but I don't see why Stonehenge would be there in that case.

Posted by G-Sides

i'm pretty sure quite a few of the current 7 wonders are destroyed :s

Posted by Ant

If I remember correctly the only one left standing is the Pyramids.

Posted by Tyler Durden

Correct Ant is, the Pyramid of Giza is the last remaining wonder.

So, no one voted for the statues of Easter Island.. or Jesse Smith's bedroom?

EDIT: I don't even see the point in deciding the NEW 7 Wonders.. our world is scheduled to end in 5 years anyways. Thanks to those pesky Mayans and Aztecs.

Edit 2: Make that, approximately 4[FONT=trebuchet ms, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]

Posted by Klarth

Voted for the Moai, Stonehenge, Angkor Wat, Petra, Great Wall, Neuschwanstein and The Cathedral of Intercession of the Virgin on the Moat.

Posted by WillisGreeny

[QUOTE=Down The Sun;615105]

our world is scheduled to end in 5 years anyways. Thanks to those pesky Mayans and Aztecs.

Edit 2: Make that, approximately 4[FONT=trebuchet ms, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]

Posted by cool gamer dad

Angkor, Chichen Itza, Great Wall, Machu Picchu, Neuschwanstein Castle, Petra, and Stonehenge.

Posted by Arwon

The end list is okay, but the Christ Redeemer and Collosseum are absurd entries to make the final 7.

Pull them out and replace them with the Angkor Wat and Stonehenge and you might just about have a good list. Possibly also yank Petra in favour of the Hagia Sophia, otherwise the list has a bit of a "lost ruins" bias.

I'd also want Alhambra in there, but that's just my hispanophile bias showing.

Wait, Christ the Redeemer made the list? Huh =/

Posted by Klarth

No Stonehenge? What bull.

The pyramids, the Great Wall, and Machu Picchu all deserve to be on here because they're truly wondrous - They're displays of amazing power from empires past, a testament to the absolute reign individual rulers had over their people. Seriously, how often in this day and age could you expect an entire civilisation to bow to the will of one man for the sake of constructing your own tomb, a country-spanning structure, or an entire city?

I can probably tolerate the presence of the Taj Mahal and Petra on this list for similar reasons, but they're still nowhere near as impressive.

The Colosseum and Christ Redeemer are bullshit entries. Christ Redeemer is really not all that impressive, and the Colosseum is just mundane and architecturally very simple.

Stonehenge belongs on this list because there's really not much more impressive here than a bunch of naked tribesmen collaborating to move massive stones around and construct a goddamned planetarium four thousand years before anyone else even considered the idea.

The Moai should be here for similar reasons. The Easter Island tribe culture persisted for an unimaginably long time.

Posted by Xenos

I am quite annoyed that Angkor Wat didn't make the list; no, no, its not any bias, but still - its a rather impressive building. The fact that the Christ Redeemer is on the list ****es me off, if anything, Hagia Sophia should replace it--from an architectural standpoint, Hagia Sophia's structure was a revolution when it comes to building domes, what is the Christ Redeemer known for? :rolleyes: Itza should be replaced with Angkor.

Posted by Oforia

Neuschwanstein shouldn't be a wonder. It's not even the most impressive castle I have seen.

Posted by Arwon

Quoting netman: The Moai should be here for similar reasons. The Easter Island tribe culture persisted for an unimaginably long time.

Well, if you consider between 500 and 800 AD an unimaginably long time.

I find the Moai interesting mostly because the period of peak construction pretty much coincided with the point at which the Easter Island Polynesians were on the verge of societal collapse.

Posted by Klarth

[QUOTE=Arwon;620682]Well, if you consider between 500 and 800 AD an unimaginably long time.
I'd read that it was 1000-1700 AD.

Posted by Iris

Stonehenge would definitely be one. The Acropolis looks a lot like the Temple of Artemis, but I still like it. The dome of Hagia Sophia is pretty impressive. Angkor looks just amazing. Petra, Taj Mahal, and the Great Wall would've also gotten my vote.

I'm pretty dissapointed with the winners.

Quoted post: Taj Mahal

Taj Mahal as a seventh wonder? Nah, no thanks.

Posted by Xenos

What's wrong with the Taj Mahal?

Nothing really... but I'd never see it as a seventh wonder, personally.

Posted by Klarth

Everyone knows that the seven wonders of the modern world are the United Nations, the Manhattan Project, the SETI Program, the Apollo Program, women's suffrage, the cure for cancer and the Hoover dam!