Becoming a mod

Posted by loony636

I was just wondering how all the mods and super-mods came to be where they are now. Do you have to get a certain number of posts? Be a member for a certain amount of time? Have a certain rep? I really have no idea...

Posted by DarkBlade

I belive half of them got the job by acting like morons to get attention then super ub there posts and rep everything with 2 legs. after that get into stupid things about washing machines or birdcages and your in!
Im sure some of them were put in cause of there int and resume rather than there popularity and uber weird post and themes for while...
some.....

Posted by Raptor

What won't help you become a moderator:

[list]
[*]Asking if you can become a moderator.
[*]Raising your post count.
[*]Raising your reputation number.
[*]Posting constantly.
[*]Posting too seldomly.
[*]Hacking VGC.
[*]Being a "backseat moderator," telling all the mods where threads go as if they didn't have the capacity to make that decision on their own. hi junior senior
[*]Tricking newbies into giving you their passwords.
[*]Reminding everyone how much you wish you were a mod every other day.
[*]Disappearing for months.
[*]Being stupid.
[/list]

What will help you become a moderator:
[list]
[*]Regularly helping other members with forum-related difficulties to the best of your ability/generally treating other members with civility unless you can justify that they deserve to be dragged out into a pasture and raped with a fence post driver.
[*]Being involved with the community, i.e. offering suggestions for improvements, participating in polls for new forum features, etc., and showing interest in the state of the community.
[*]Demonstrating intelligence and competence through your posts.
[*]Earning the respect and trust of other members.
[*]Posting regularly.
[*]Being a patient member for more than a few months.
[*]Joining a clique. :-*
[/list]

Posted by Darth Vader

And acting like me helps!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Jesse Smith

Being a n00bie at first will help you. All the mods were once n00bies!!!!!!!!!

Posted by loony636

Quoting Raptor: Joining a clique.

What is a clique?

Posted by NegativeTrend

A group of people you hang out with outside of the boards, like the vegans.

Posted by loony636

Oh, I see. Is this clique mean't to be of vgchat members, or is it just a requirement for mods not to be loners...

Posted by sabre

1. VGC members. 2. It was a joke... to an extent.

Being in mods' good books does help, though. It's only logical that if people think that you're an intelligent, amiable and respectable guy, you'll be higher up on the "hay, who should we nominate for modtypeguys" list than ol'whatshisface.

The actual system is as follows...

Beneath the introduction board is a hidden "Mod board," which is invisible to everyone except mods, supermods, and Jesse. In this board, the mods discuss... well, staff stuff. If there is any need for a moderator, then one of two things will happen... either a mod will make a "brainstorming" thread, in which everyone mulls over the possibilities for new additions to the mod base, or they'll just make a poll called something like "Whoeverthehell for Off Topic." If Whoeverthehell wins more than 50% of the votes, he's modded to whatever the board was. Only supermods may make polls to elect to demod or mod another supermod.

Oh, and Darth Vader, start posting with substance or get banned.

Posted by loony636

But I don't understand. There are boards, like the computers board and all those new boards, that don't have mods. Are the mods eventually going to get around to appointing mods to those boards too?

Posted by Axis

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Black]Theres no need really for mods on those boards, they barely get any traffic. You'll usually see mods in really active boards where theres a better chance of spam popping up.[/COLOR][/FONT]

Posted by loony636

Oh, I see. Thanks for clearing that up Dyers Eve.

Posted by junior senior

[B]Why am I mentioned in Raptor's guide?[/b]

Posted by Jesse Smith

Because u r a n00bie. :bash:

Posted by sabre

Not to mention, loony, sometimes there are boards which have plenty of traffic, but not enough spam to justify adding a moderator. Or maybe boards which have so much traffic and so much liability for being spammed, they have multiple moderators. The Off Topic boards are good examples of this. I suppose you could say it has elements of demand and supply.

Posted by loony636

Are moderators in the habit of making a surplus? I mean too many mods in a board with not enough spam?

Posted by Hyper

Not usually, unless a mod asks for another mod to be appointed to his/her board to help out.

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

Quoting loony636: I was just wondering how all the mods and super-mods came to be where they are now. Do you have to get a certain number of posts? Be a member for a certain amount of time? Have a certain rep? I really have no idea...

Not at all. You just have to be in the 1337 circle of members that are liked by the higher ups. There are a lot of members who have been here for a really long time that have a ton of posts that really want to be Mods. Take Kamek for instance: been here for years,a great poster, tons o' posts, yet no modship. That's the way that VGC is.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting Raptor: What won't help you become a moderator:

[list]
[*]Hacking VGC.
[*]Tricking newbies into giving you their passwords.
[*]Disappearing for months
[/list]
Aren't netman, Dexter, and Iris all guilty of these things (respectively), and yet are all still moderators?

[quote=Raptor]
What will help you become a moderator:
[list]
[*]generally treating other members with civility unless you can justify that they deserve to be dragged out into a pasture and raped with a fence post driver.[/list]

*cough* Landon *cough*

Fei-on

Posted by loony636

Quoting Velvet Nightmare: You just have to be in the 1337 circle of members that are liked by the higher ups.

And how does one get into this infamous group of members?

Posted by Jesse Smith

Be a n00bies for 90 days, geting band left and right, then shock every one and suddenly become intelligent, and one day ye shall be a mod, just like Amy!!!!!!!!! the n00bie is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting loony636: And how does one get into this infamous group of members?

By not asking questions like "how does one get into this infamous group of members?"

You just have to post throughout the board, and be cool about it. Don't post a bunch of one liners that really have nothing to say. Look at posters like Raptor and Dexter. Their posts are usually concise, clear, and well-established. If you go around posting things like "OMG" and such all over, you'll never be a mod because that type of behavior exhibits incompetance, and mods ought to demonstrate a certain level of competance.

Fei-on

Posted by sabre

Quoting Velvet Nightmare: Kamek for instance: been here for years,a great poster, tons o' posts, yet no modship. That's the way that VGC is.

Thing about Kamek is that he often goes for a while without posting anything, then comes back for a while and goes for a while. He fluctuates a lot. Not to mention, say he were to mod, which board does he visit that needs a mod, of which he is the ideal candidate?

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

Quoting Sabredog: Thing about Kamek is that he often goes for a while without posting anything, then comes back for a while and goes for a while. He fluctuates a lot. Not to mention, say he were to mod, which board does he visit that needs a mod, of which he is the ideal candidate?

Agreed, but still, a member of that status certainly deserves some sort of recognition. Maybe modship of a lesser part of the board? Frankly I don't know what to suggest, it would be up to the S-Mods and Mods to appoint him, as well as others.

Posted by Crono

Quoting Jesse Smith: All the mods were once n00bies!!!!!!!!!

Sadly, not true.

Anyhow, you could just sit around and be active. That's how I got the Sim Battle forum. Generally, if you're actively posting in a forum where they either need help or the mod isn't doing their job or isn't around, and your posts are quality, you'll be looked at. Then again, I got a a couple years ago when it was asked who wanted to be a mod, and for what forum....I said Sim Battle, and since Necro had been inactive for a long while, I got the forum, along with someone else...I think it was DD.

Either way, don't be like Darth Vader. Or even Jesse for that matter. :p

Posted by Jesse Smith

Quoting Crono: Sadly, not true.

Don't tell them that!!! it gives all the n00bies some hope!!!!! :D:D:D:D OK, 90% of the mods were once n00bies!!!!

Posted by 007 ninja

Quoting Jesse Smith: Don't tell them that!!! it gives all the n00bies some hope!!!!! :D:D:D:D OK, 90% of the mods were once n00bies!!!!

SIGNED.

Posted by loony636

Quoting Crono: Either way, don't be like Darth Vader.

So true, so very very true. We all know what happens to people like Darth Vader now don't we...