Emotional game music

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Any music in a game ever touched you emotionally?

- The slow version of MGS2's theme. The first time I heard it, it was one of those 'oh *** ;_;' moments.

- The Chrono Trigger main theme, but I have no idea why.

- Hyrule Field theme from Twilight Princess, on the other hand, gets me really uplifted.

- And for some reason, any time I hear Bloody Tears, in Castlevania, I get really wound up. It makes me want to go out and kick the **** out of vampires.

Posted by Dexter

Lots. First that comes to mind is the dungeon music in the NES game Willow. It was creepy to the extreme.

Posted by Zeta

Not exactly a video game tune, but...
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/Kvar/daddy.png[/IMG]

Can't hear You're The Inspiration without almost tearing up. Thanks a lot, EBA...

Posted by Pit

http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/psx/b/sf2col_ngui.htm

this to guiles song was pretty intense

Posted by Tiptoegecko

There was a level in Medal of Honor: Frontline where you were going through farmlands of Holland, and they played this really depressing music in the background and it one time almost made me cry.

Posted by veritas

The music at the end of Kingdom hearts 2. The music at the title screen as well.

Posted by Arcadios

Decisive Battle from Final Fantasy X got me pretty riled up for the final boss but then disappointment hit when I knew I couldn't die. :(

Posted by Fate

Metal Gear Solid 3's placement of the slow version of the theme during the ending scene was soooo pretty. I cried. The Boss was such a cool character.

"The Extreme" from FFVIII is one of my favorite theme songs because it struck a sense of urgency in me. All that time I spent getting to the final battle was enough, let alone the battle itself. Since the boss changed form many times, the music did, too. The music made it sound pretty epic.

Posted by Linko_16

I'm almost certain that I've heard something before, since music is pretty much one of the only things that makes me emotional, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Lots of Uematsu's songs make me emotional from Final Fantasy games (mainly FF6). That, and Suikoden 2's overature.

Posted by Bebop

Dire Dire Docks is very relaxing

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

"The Oath" - FFVIII
"Time's Scars", "Leaving the Body", "Frozen Flame" - Chrono Cross

And basically anything by Jeremy Soule (Icewind Dale, Guild Wars, etc) and Michael Hoenig (Baldur's Gate).

Posted by Arcadios

Farewell King Hyrule

;_;

Posted by Speedfreak

I don't think any game music is really that emotional, just the context that they're played in.

Posted by Big Boss

Geez, this is very hard to answer because I love videogame music, and A LOT of it has successfully birthed in me a particular emotion. My iPod is filled with game music I could (and have) listened to for hours. I'll just mention a few, which means I'll be missing on a lot:

Chrono Cross - "Without Holding a Jewel" (or something)
It's the end theme for Chrono Cross, regardless of which ending you get, so it isn't tied to any particular event that would question its ability to draw emotion. It's just a beautiful-sounding song, and it's probably a good thing that I don't understand the Japanese lyrics. It's relaxing, and it makes me feel like I'm in a natural, almost fantastical setting looking up at an unrealistically colored sky. The entire game has a soundtrack that stimulates similar emotions.

MGS3 - "Way To Fall"
Because of its lyrics, mood and place in the game, "Way To Fall" really grabbed my heart and told me, "As if you didn't know by now, this is the best game you've ever played. Now resume crying." After being taken through an emotional roller coaster in the game, topped by its excellent ending, the credits roll to this heart-clenching song. An excellent choice.

MGS2 - Main Theme (Slightly longer version than the intro theme)
I wasn't overly pleased with the soundtrack of MGS2 as a whole (especially when compared to MGS1's), but Harry Gregson-Williams did a magnificent job at creating the intro for Snake's Solid sequel. It made me feel like I was about to engage in something important, something big. It made me feel like I was entering an epic, and that I was getting on a ride that, by its end, would have me by the edge of my seat with surprise and delight. It made me feel like a warrior, ready to defend and stand for whatever it was I'd be protecting. It's the best main theme of a game.

MGS1 - The End is Yet to Come
The ending theme for the first game. I had similar feelings to "Way to Fall," although without the tear-jerking, and the natural place I envisioned resembled the cold fronts of the Shadow Moses base I had just escaped out of. The non-Japanese-probably-Latin song helped it feel very exotic.

Capcom vs. SNK 2: Mark of the Millenium 2001 (PS2 - other versions in other systems)
This theme plays whenever you play the last fight of the tourney on the rooftops over a burning Tokyo. I felt like I was in a kill-or-die martial arts fight to the death! I don't have this theme song, which is killing me.

Final Fantasy X - A Contest of Aeons/ Some other name I can't recall (Summoned Beasts?)
What more can be said other than, "Oh, ****'s going down NOW!" Intense and epic, it genuinely encompassed into a theme song the climax from the long journey and struggles suffered to get to the end (or near it). The Final Battle song also succeeded with this, but not as well.

Final Fantasy X - Zanarkand
The feeling of "the calm before the storm" could not be better represented in this theme.

Final Fantasy X - Suteki Da Ne
Burst into tears as if I just lost someone I care about. It's the credits theme.

G[color=yellowgreen]o
d of War II - The Colossus
"Holy ****." It, well, makes you feel like you're fighting a Colossus. Think about being in an open space, with a gigantic statue coming to life, turning around and coming after you. Then think about having the balls to fight this thing. THAT feeling. GoWI and II have a lot of this.

I better stop now. I seriously have a lot more.[/color]

Quoting Arcadios: Decisive Battle from Final Fantasy X got me pretty riled up for the final boss but then disappointment hit when I knew I couldn't die. :(

Ha! I had the same problem. I was so freakishly strong by then that all the final boss battles were a disappointing breeze. That's the one true flaw I attribute to FFX, which was the design oversight of level-obsessed players getting stronger than the final boss. FFVIII kept track of your current level and increased every enemy's accordingly to match your abilities. They should've used that.

Posted by EvilDeadGamer

The music at the end of the Kingdom Hearts, and In FFVII when Aeris died i dont think it was mainly the music (tho it did help) i was sad when she died..even tho she was weak.

Posted by Anti-Muffla

the Socom 3 theme gets me PUMPED to blow terrorist's faces off

Posted by D.J Cat

Quoting Speedfreak: I don't think any game music is really that emotional, just the context that they're played in.

You've said it well right there.

Its more the situation that goes with it and the music just emphasizes it.
Many people underestimate the power it had, even back in the games of the 90's and 80's.

Now i'll do what everyone else doe sand list something random.

A lot of the music from Skies of Arcadia did a great job, the opening theme and the music in some of the intense moments of the story was brilliant.

As The X said the Orchestarated msuci from Twighlight Princess was superb. And Midna's Desperation I think one was called, where you have to carry on Wolf-back through the rain.
And in Wind Waker where it goes permanatly stormy, that music is class too.

And while i'm on a roll i'll mention the credits from Ocarina of Time.

Posted by Iris

Sword of Mana: Mana Sanctuary was really emotional. It really set the mood. The map itself was beautifully made, puzzle like, and simply overwhelming. The music went very well with it. Hero's Dream and Heroine's Longing were kind of sad, but also calming. Under a Sky Full of Stars was really calming too. More so in a sleepy way, however. Mission of Mana was really powerful, and went good whenever the plot developed into some crazy twist. Lester's songs were pretty haunting too. Finally, A Legend Forever just gave a good sense of accomplishment. Yeah, go figure, because it was the ending sequence music. Still, it seemed so much more effective than other RPG's ending credits. For a GBA remake, I'm really surprised how much I loved this soundtrack. The quality of the music wasn't even that great for a GBA game and the music was still amazing.

Tales of the Abyss: Crimson Pride was my favorite track of all. It was the best final dungeon music I've heard in any RPG. It was just really powerful and made the final dungeon seem so much more urgent. Guidepost (The BGM of whenever The Score was being read) was pretty cool. It just seemed really mystifying and helped give The Score the strange aura it was meant to have. I liked Kingdom of Sky simple because it made Baticul seem so prestigous. When I first heard Meaning of Birth, I somehow thought it should be the epilogue's BGM, but hearing it in a battle sequence made more sense. I liked how that, and many other BGMs in the game were based off the opening song. Nature Dungeon (Tataroo Valley) wasn't really that emotional, but I'm mentioning it simply because it set the mood so well, and really made the dungeon seem so much more nature-oriented. Finish the Promise (final battle) was still my favorite battle music. It was so fast paced and made the battle so dramatic. I like how it was based off of Tear's songs. That brings me to all of the BGMs in the ending video. Tear's Song (The first-seventh fonic hymns) was really amazing, and I was glad to finally hear it in a full song. It kind of made learning all of the hymns much more worth it. The other BGMs were just really mushy and almost made me cry. :(

TLoZ OoT: Go figure, Saria's Song made me really happy and Zelda's song made me sleepy. Other than that, I can't say the rest of the soundtrack was really emotional. Maybe the orchestarated ones, but not the in-game soundtrack.

Chrono Trigger: Corridors of Time is the only mentionable one for me. Really made the Kingdom of Zeal more awe-inspiring.

I'll add more later.

Posted by Unite

hmm probably fews others can't think of them right now

Chrono Cross - "Without Holding a Jewel" ending song
Chrono Cross - "star stealing girl" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mglMPZbX4M4 kids theme

Final Fantasy X "Suteki Da Ne"
Final Fantasy X "Zanarkand"
Final Fantasy 7 "Aeris/Aerith theme"