Bass training.

Posted by Fort Shino

I've recently started to play bass guitar. I've already learned Roxanne but that's due to the fact that I also play guitar. But I need to know if anyone has some tips for training my fingers for being better at plucking.

So any ideas?

Posted by Omni

Just start slow, and gradually increase your speed as you get better. Lots of practice will allow greater flexibility and increase muscle memory, allowing you to play with ease. Just keep practicing. It's the best thing to do.

Posted by Fort Shino

But outside from playing what else can I do?

Posted by Shade

Pluck your fingers on every material object that in some way resembles a string.

Posted by Tiptoegecko

I dont pluck my fingers, I either play with my thumb or I play with a pick. My only advice, being a bass player myself, is practice moving your fingers around the neck of the bass, and practice stretching your fingers since the frets are farther apart than a guitar's. Then that's it, begin playing some easys tuff and practice it until you can play it without looking or even thinking about it. Then you move on to harder songs.

Posted by netman

Do bass run scales

Something I picked up from playing in a jazz band - not only does it help you firmly entrench in your mind which notes are what, but it helps you run to them quickly.

Posted by Fort Shino

Quoting Tiptoegecko: begin playing some easys tuff and practice it until you can play it without looking or even thinking about it. Then you move on to harder songs.

Yeah that's what I've been doing. My first song was Roxanne. and I can play it without even thinking now. I was using my thumb when I started, after that I tried plucking quicker for the chorus, then for an hour before I left my friends house(where we were playing) I used a pick just to give my fingers a break.