Interview with Neige of Alcest, Amesoeurs, Peste Noire

Posted by Omni

Neige's text is bolded.

Neige interview about Amesoeurs/Alcest for Kaleidoscope
Alcest/Amesoeurs - interview 2007 for Kaleidoscope Zine (translated by No

Posted by Omni

20) Would you say it was very different or perhaps harder to work with someone else (I mean Winterhalter and especially Audrey S. in this case) if you compare that to working alone (Alcest)?

[B]In both cases, there are advantages and drawbacks. The advantage with Alcest for example is that I'm in charge of everything: the composition, the interpretation, the visual aspect, the production, material choices and so on… What seem to be advantages can sometimes become drawbacks. This artistic loneliness is indeed hard to bear in the long run, the energy is scarce. Hopefully, I'm going to have a short break so as to work on the Amesoeurs album. I have to confess that I'm fed up of doing everything by my own lately, I'm tired of it.

21) Although many metal puritans despise other music genres, I think that you can find the same amount of feeling, sadness, harshness and coldness in every genre, if the songs are done by someone with a pure heart. That's why I find bands like Joy Division and The Cure as important and effective as the most important metal bands. What kind of history as a listener do you have when it comes to post-punk / melancholic pop music? You dedicate "Ruines Humaines" to Ian Curtis, which, I think, says a lot…

You're totally right. To my eyes, some rock bands can be as depressive as black metal bands, only the ways of expression differ. I invite the sceptical to listen to "one hundred years" or "cold" from The Cure, they will change their minds in no time. In another style, I don't know if you've heard of the post-punk band Virgin Prunes, their album "If I die I die" is a pure masterpiece of tribal madness, extravagance and noisy ugliness that eclipses most of the so-called satanic and unwholesome black metal records.

As far as I'm concerned, I discovered black metal at the age of 13 and I've listened to black metal exclusively until my 16-17. Then, I discovered dark wave with bands such as Sopor Aeternus, Dead Can Dance and finally when I was 18, I discovered new wave mainly with Depeche Mode, The Sisters Of Mercy, The Cure, Joy Division, Clan Of Xymox, Virgin Prunes.

The fact that I've dedicated "Ruines humaines" to Ian Curtis means a lot indeed. Joy Division is the new wave band that had the biggest influence on me for various reasons. This band is hard to appreciate in the first place, their music is very simple and rich at the same time. Moreover, each musician uses his instrument in a totally unusual way. It took me a couple of years to understand and appreciate their music, now I can't grow away from it, it's a part of me on a daily basis. Paradoxically, despite the simple technical skill displayed in their songs, every listen I have is different from the other. I rediscover them again and again. This is the kind of band you have to plunge into, immerse yourself in, read their lyrics, read their biography which is very interesting. Joy Division is a miracle to me, a work of art at every level: musical, visual, lyrical, historical (everyone knows their tragic history). In the band, no one doubted that Ian Curtis was so depressed. He wasn't the type of man who creates a character and shouts to the world that he's mad, sick and depressed (this is not an allusion to black metal hehehe). The day Joy Division had to leave for an American tour in 1980, he was found hung in his kitchen.

I see his suicide as the symbol of the occidental ill-being that we relate in Amesoeurs, the individual that cannot face the complexity of his existence anymore and his difficulty to lead a decent life. Joy Division is fascinating because of this feeling of incompletion too. They stopped their activity at the time their art was at the top with songs such as "Atmosphere", "Love will tear us apart", "Ceremony", "The eternal" or "Heart and soul".

22) It would be easy to say that Amesoeurs is making statements about today's civilization. Would you agree? Could we consider Amesoeurs as a band that criticizes today's world and society? Or would you see yourself more as an observer of things in this wicked world?

[b]I'd understand if one thought that Amesoeurs is a band which criticizes the modern world, it's true in some way but it's not our goal really. Don't forget that we are musicians and simple observers before all. Obviously, we feel that there is a real ambient ill-being in the occidental world (how can you not feel it?). Despite the so-called comfort of nowadays life, it doesn't work. However, we are not philosophers and since our knowledge is scarce in this field, we don't want to suggest a too easy and expected critic of society.[/B]

23) Do you think you would've been able to make "Ruines Humaines" or "Le Secret" about seven years ago? In your opinion, have you grown as a musician/human during these years?

I think I would have been able to write "Le secret" at the time. Like I said, Alcest's concept has been inside of me since childhood. However, the result wouldn't have been great. I wouldn't have been able to write the "Ruines humaines" MCD, especially the track "Faiblesse des sens" for at the time, I didn't listen to rock.

24) Both Alcest and Amesoeurs have just begun their journey, so could you shed some light on the future of both bands? I guess new releases are in the works…

As far as Alcest is concerned, I'm thinking of re-recording "Le secret" before I start writing the second album. I don't know anything about its release though. As for Amesoeurs, we are currently working on our first album and we'll play live when it will be recorded. Amesoeurs is really a live project, I can't wait to be on stage.

25) Thanks for the interview! Any last words?

It was a very interesting interview. Thank you.

Posted by Grave Wisdom

****, great review!

It definitely let's us know more about the man, and his sources of inspiration. Thanks!

Posted by Shin-Ra

So anyway, anyone else heard about Neige joining Forgotten Woods, of all bands? Seems like an odd choice to me.

Posted by Omni

I haven't heard about that yet, but anything he's involved in will probably be pretty good.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Forgotten Woods is already amazing, I just don't know how his vocal style is going to go with it. You'd have to hear them if you haven't already. It's very different.

Posted by Omni

I haven't heard anything by them. :(

Posted by Omni

New interview from Pitchfork Media:

Through his work with Alcest, Amesoeurs, and Peste Noire, French multi-instrumentalist St