VGC radio show?

Posted by Xenos

Hmm, I was thinking if anyone would be interested in a VGC Radio show using Skype.

Posted by Omni

I'd have to get a mic, but that's a ****ing cool idea.

Posted by Klarth

yes

Posted by Average n00b

That'd be rad. xD

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I AM IN

Posted by Ant

I thought about doing something like this a long time ago, but then realized no one else would like the music I played. :)

I'd listen, but only to hear my fellow VGC members speak inbetween songs moreso than the songs themselves.

Posted by Xenos

Hm, well, we could use more interest/ideas about it.

EDIT: That's the idea - I never intended on it being very music-based. It would be nice if I could have someone who is a more ... entertaining co-host than I am.

Posted by Tiptoegecko

**** I'd love to do it/help out

Posted by Average n00b

Well, if you wanted a host/co-host, you'd need someone who can think up practically anything without a script. :/ I can't explain things very well, I'm sorry. xD I'd love to listen/participate if I could.

Posted by mis0

This could be interesting. We should have a playlist that's user built and that everyone can contribute to.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting The X: I AM IN

sorry but you need to have an accent that isn't totally ****ing indecipherable

;)

Posted by Tyler Durden

And you can't be a fag like Klarth.. he talks with his mouth full. [COLOR=DimGray]Of cock.[/COLOR]

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Klarth;609123]sorry but you need to have an accent that isn't totally ****ing indecipherable

;)

Yours is ****ing ausengmericastrian. At least my accent is consistent. :mad:

Posted by Xenos

So what program do you guys want to use? Skype or is there a better suggestion? I think a place where we could host this, if not VGC, Podcast.

Jesse Smith's voice in this would be appreciated.

Posted by bazariah

i'd be willing to join in... if people woul be willing to contribute to the youtube channel i made for us all :D

Posted by Sapphire Rose

I'll co-host.

Posted by Corrupt

I'm always willing to contribute music to a good cause, so providing I'll be able to do that, count me in.

Posted by Xenos

Someone answer my question.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Either or.

Posted by Philsdad

Sounds like it could be fun. Shoutcast might be another way to do it. It lets you broadcast your own streaming radio shows that people can stream in Winamp.

http://www.shoutcast.com/download/broadcast.phtml

Posted by Ant

needs server

Posted by Xenos

Podcast, perhaps.

Posted by Philsdad

Quoting Ant: needs server

No it doesn't. That's a different option entirely.

Posted by Klarth

i've lost my voice, so not now.

Posted by Xenos

Go get some medication. Oh wait, you are in South America. nvm

Posted by Klarth

I'm already taking medicine which makes me feel like **** (well, slightly better than I'd be without the stuff) during the day, and keeps me awake at night.

Cough syrup is so ****ing delicious.

Posted by Xenos

Well, we might as well talk about how we are going to do it, who's involves, etc. etc. what medium etc. etc.

Posted by Sable Wind

I have a sweet headset. It has a microphone.

That's pretty much all I wanted to say. You guys were talking about microphones and people talking and I was reminded of my sweet, official-looking headset.

Yeah.

Posted by Xenos

Go back to the room, h0. Your customers are waiting.

Klarth, answer!

Posted by Klarth

i don't know much about this ****, but maybe we could do it over vent or something similar. witty banter, short songs (no sheet metal masterpieces), cool kids only.

someone else can throw the technical things together

Posted by Xenos

I've had friends who've done it before, but maybe Jim can help us here.

Posted by Ant

vent only has room for like 6 people.

Posted by Klarth

how about we all meet in second life and wear our fursuits

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Ant;609702]vent only has room for like 6 people.

Nah, much more than that.

I'm going to play Metroid music aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall night!

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

I'd do it.

Oh wait, no I wouldn't. Wings and I tried to set something up like this before. All I had to do was pick up a microphone from my work and I couldn't even do that. Though if I wasn't a titanic faggot, oh lord would I get in on this.

Posted by Grave Wisdom

Best idea in a while! I'd totally love to see this.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

What would the format be? Two VGC members dialoging and spinning discs?

Posted by Xenos

Mainly talking, imo. Music didn't even come to mind when I made this thread. If there is music, it will only be for a little bit at the beginning or whenever we are taking a quick break from talking.

Posted by G-Sides

my bud zain had his own radio station (and still might) via shoutcast and he was able to play moozaks and talk and take requests and **** :s i'll talk to him about how to get it up and running if need be??

Posted by Xenos

Sure thing - greatly appreciated.

Posted by Omni

We can stream music on it when we're not on the air, but other than that it can be used for talk radio. How about that? That's my best suggestion.

So, basically a podcast, yeah?

Posted by Xenos

Hm, I guess that will work.

VVE: I suggested a podcast earlier in this thread already.

I didn't read this thread. But that's what this idea is. Not really a radio show at all from the sounds of it.

Posted by Omni

Podcasts are probably easier to do, so I guess that's better.

Posted by Xenos

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;609895]I didn't read this thread. But that's what this idea is. Not really a radio show at all from the sounds of it.

Hm, what do you mean by that?

Posted by Omni

G-Sides says he'll talk to his friend about how to set up streaming radio, so we should wait and find out what all that entails, because it could be really easy. If it's too much work, it should be a podcast I think.

That this idea isn't a radio show, as the thread title made me believe, rather it's starting to sound exactly like a podcast.

whatevs shoulda read the thread

Posted by Xenos

What exactly is the difference between the two other than radio is streamed on the spot and podcasts it left for later [I think]? I don't think its anything major, in fact, it might be better to use a podcast so I could edit out the silence and technical difficulties.

Posted by G-Sides

yeah but the spontanious aspects of streaming leave much to be desired when watching podcasts :( LOL both maybe? :x that might be bit much

Posted by Xenos

Yar ... I'd rather just stick to one. Should start out simple; if not, and things gets complicated, there will be a temptation to not continue the project.

Quoted post: What exactly is the difference between the two other than radio is streamed on the spot and podcasts it left for later [I think]? I don't think its anything major, in fact, it might be better to use a podcast so I could edit out the silence and technical difficulties.

It was more that I thought you meant having an actual radio type show. As in music between talking segments, rather than a group of people shooting the **** over random topics. Though I guess it's semantics at that point.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Have a phone-in.

Posted by The Judge

I'd do stuff involving whatever this is.

Someone contact me via AIM later about it.

Posted by Klarth

Better hurry up, guys. This becomes illegal in three days.

Posted by Xenos

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;609952]It was more that I thought you meant having an actual radio type show. As in music between talking segments, rather than a group of people shooting the **** over random topics. Though I guess it's semantics at that point.

Well, the first part was what I was going for, but when people suggest music, I think music is going to be playing for half an hour or something.

Posted by mis0

Quoting netman: Better hurry up, guys. This becomes illegal in three days.

I am an elite internet pirate and I will blatantly disregard the law, thank you very much.

Posted by G-Sides

so it *appears* like i could do this fine, my shoutcast is up and from the looks of it it's working but i need a server to run the **** off of :s JESSE SMITH, CAN YOU SEE THIS

Posted by Tiptoegecko

http://ubroadcast.com/

Could we use this?

Posted by G-Sides

credit card required.

Posted by Ant

Quoting Philsdad: No it doesn't. That's a different option entirely.

Quoting G-Sides: so it *appears* like i could do this fine, my shoutcast is up and from the looks of it it's working but i need a server to run the **** off of :s JESSE SMITH, CAN YOU SEE THIS

WHAT NOW BIG MAN? WHAT NOW?

Posted by G-Sides

upon further delving into the **** tonight, i don't need a server but i'm pretty sure i'm gonna need a static IP and from the looks of it, xp pro/linksys/whatever is making me unable to get one isn't letting me get one. 8-)
my shoutcast works and it works like a charm i just can't bypass the connectivity problem i'm having without this static IP. all my **** seems to be running off of the same internet address and it causes problems when i try to go in and do things manually for my connection.

which leads me back to what i said before: i'm probably going to need to run off of a different server until i can fix the problems i'm having.

Posted by Tiptoegecko

Quoting G-Sides: credit card required.

awwwww gay

Posted by Philsdad

Quoting Ant: WHAT NOW BIG MAN? WHAT NOW?

Yep, looks like you were right on this one. I didn't realize you needed to pay for hosting..so it's either that or have your own server.

I am finally getting a server (to host a website and for file sharing purposes) in the next few weeks, but I could use it for something like this too if nobody else wants to do it. Basically what I had in mind was that it could be like a VGC Radio Station. People who wanted to do a show could pick a time slot/format and run the shoutcast when it's their time. We'd only need one server, and anyone else who wants to do a show would just need the Shoutcast plugins. The listeners would simply need to load the address in Winamp when a show is on.

G-Sides, you sure your ISP will let you have a Static IP? You do mean a WAN IP right? Let us know how this all works out.

Posted by G-Sides

well i keep getting a connectivity error that tells me to take down like my firewall, internet sharing, etc when i actually already have all of those down. when i went to the winamp forums and stuff, i found that this was a common error and that i'd need to do this **** with port forwarding and run off of a static ip. as for my ISP allowing it, iono. i might have to call them and ask what DNS servers to run off of or something :s

it'd be much easier if someone, jesse prefered, could set up a server that anyone could run off of because otherwise, you'd have to come and navigate the site and figure out who's running it whenever and click on their ip's url to listen in.

Posted by Ant

PM and ask him. he won't see it here.

Posted by Xenos

I tried to when I first made the thread, he said he knows nothing about radios to do it.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Vamp - Get a ****ing mic and we can dominate some grim ass conversations. Me, you, Scott (if he weren't in hibernation) and Pit. And maybe PHM. Seriously.

Posted by Jesse Smith

Linkman has webspace here. But if it requires it's own IP address...er...all my sites are all on da same IP address.

Quoted post: Vamp - Get a ****ing mic and we can dominate some grim *** conversations. Me, you, Scott (if he weren't in hibernation) and Pit. And maybe PHM. Seriously.

A metal podcast you say? Oh Jesus yes.

Posted by Xenos

[quote=Jesse Smith;611364]Linkman has webspace here. But if it requires it's own IP address...er...all my sites are all on da same IP address.

I don't think so, but we'll see how it goes.

Posted by Omni

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: A metal podcast you say? Oh Jesus yes.

I still have to get a mic. Now I actually have a reason to want one.

Posted by Xenos

[quote=Jesse Smith;611364]Linkman has webspace here. But if it requires it's own IP address...er...all my sites are all on da same IP address.

I don't think so, but we'll see how it goes. Would you mind giving me the privilege of having some too so I can easily manage things if it doesn't require an IP address of its own?

Posted by G-Sides

i S AyA I R: k does anyone in here
i S AyA I R: know anything
i S AyA I R: about using shoutcast
Ir0n Z3pp3lin: i do
Ir0n Z3pp3lin: i run my own shoutcast radio station sometimes
i S AyA I R: do you know how i'd be able to broadcast off of an IP that's not mine
i S AyA I R: :s
i S AyA I R: or off of another site entirely
Ir0n Z3pp3lin: yes, you'd have to have a server program running on that other server
Ir0n Z3pp3lin: and know the password to it
i S AyA I R: would apache work?
Ir0n Z3pp3lin: maybe
Ir0n Z3pp3lin: ?
i S AyA I R: hm hm
Ir0n Z3pp3lin: i haven't tried it, i run everything off of my computer
Ir0n Z3pp3lin: it would run the same as from your computer
i S AyA I R: i'm trying to set this shit up so more than one person can broadcast at like different times of the day
i S AyA I R: without having to constantly change IPs
Ir0n Z3pp3lin: oh, pft, all you REALLY have to do is sign up for a static IP with your internet service provider.
Ir0n Z3pp3lin: who's your ISP?
i S AyA I R: comcast
Ir0n Z3pp3lin: oh, I work for comcast
i S AyA I R: dude 8-)
Ir0n Z3pp3lin: we don't provide static IPs unless you have a business acct
Ir0n Z3pp3lin: sorry dawg :(
i S AyA I R: oh
i S AyA I R: ****
you guys :(

so i can't do it, and chances are if you use comcast you won't be able to do it either.

Posted by Jesse Smith

I'm not very good at all at installing stuff on da server!! One of da past crashes, a few years ago, was from me trying to make a simple SSH command (Think Telnet), just trying to change the permission of files. Instead it generated a kernal panic attack, so da server had to be restored, aka, every thing deleted and re-uploaded.

Posted by Omni

Somebody teach Jesse how to do this.

Posted by Xenos

Mm ... I am not nearly as skilled as Jim or ******T [Negative Trend].

Posted by Xenos

Jesse, what is your say on this? I will keep bumping the thread until you respond.

Posted by Jesse Smith

er, look up there!!! I posted twice!!! :D:D:D:D

Posted by Xenos

Respond to what I said about letting Jim or someone else use the servers to install the radio/podcast/whatever.

Posted by Jesse Smith

I smell a Coup attempt!!!!! :D:D:D

Posted by Omni

Jesse, you're no fun. :(

Posted by Xenos

Argh fine, I'll find someone else to host it, though it might take awhile. Sorry guys.