Classical Music

Posted by Near

Normally I stick with my usual music that I always listen to, but I have always been one who is open to just about any kind of music. Well, except for country. My parents are country fans so they have kind of played it out, plus it all sounds the same to me for some reason.

Anyways, I recently started listening to some Classical Music, like Beethoven, Bach, Mozart, Berlioz, Chopin, and the list goes on. Now I've heard this stuff before, so its not like its new, but I just never made it a habbit to constantly listen to it. However I must say its very soothing and a nice change of pace from what I am used to.

I suppose I'll pose the question, 'Does anyone else enjoy listening to classical stuff?'

Posted by Tiptoegecko

I do. Classical Music is awesome, and I'm starting to collect alot of it.

Posted by Near

Thats nice, I was actually thinking about purchasing some myself. I've always enjoyed adding to the music collection, more so legitmate copies than downloaded stuff.

Posted by Hochiminh

I don't listen to this type of music, however I do like "Sabre Dance". I guess that song was kind of heavy for a classical piece.

Now wouldn't it be crazy if they worked this song into a current rock/metal song and added lyrics. That would ROCK!

And lol at country...I have to listen to it ALL the time at my job. Geesh...it's bad enough I don't have a CD player in my car, so I have to listen to the overplayed crap on radio.

Posted by Omni

"Saber Dance" isn't heavy at all by any standards. What are you talking about?

Posted by Shade

I enjoy some Bach from time to time. Although it's much more fun to play than to listen to it.

Posted by Klarth

1812 overture

NANANANANANANA NAA NAA NAA
NANANANANANANA NANANANA NAA

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

I have a nice collection going, but I need to be in a certain mood to really want to listen to any of it.

Posted by Grave Wisdom

I love classical music, but I don't listen to it often for some reason. Bach's always been one of my favorites though.

Posted by Philsdad

I listen to a lot of classical music. I'm mainly into the Romantic era as far as classical goes, because 19th century Europe churned out the most enjoyable composers in my opinion.. Tchaikovsky, Franz Liszt, Camille Saint-Saens, Chopin, Brahms, Bartok, etc. Bartok in particular is cool because he scored a lot of Hungarian gypsy music for full orchestras. Normally, you'd hear tunes like these played on old beat up violins by gypsy street musicians (which is awesome too, don't get me wrong) but there's something really nice about hearing these kids of folk dances played by a full orchestra.

I'm not too much into the Baroque period, but I do enjoy a lot of Bach sometimes (especially the Brandenburg Concertos.) It's fun music because it has a lot of harpsichord, which you just don't hear anymore. If you listen to some of those Brandenburg Concertos, it sounds like something straight out of an RPG castle.

Other than that, most of the other composers I listen to would be considered pretty "modern" (mostly film composers.) Bernard Herrmann, Nino Rota, and Ennio Morricone all come to mind here, although their music isn't always straight up classical. Herrmann scored the soundtracks to most of the old Hitchcock movies.. Very cool orchestral stuff. He knew how to make a piece sounds really beautiful, yet very haunting at the same time. Nino Rota is probably my favorite film composer though. Lots of orchestral stuff, but also a lot of really trippy organs.

As for stuff that's not film music, Sergei Prokofiev is probably my favorite 20th century composer. You may remember him from "Peter and the Wolf".

Oh, and I like that idea about a metal "Sabre Dance". I could totally see rocking out to Sabre Dance with distorted metal guitars, but I think the vocals would ruin it.

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

in the right mood, or to get in the right mood, classical helps, depending the song, as some are plain ol happy, some or sad, some just sound like murder. Bach and Beethoven, and Vivaldi, violins, and Rachmaninoff

etc

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

I love classical music. I also love playing it. Bach, Beethoven, Chopin, Mozart, Tchaikovsky, Brahms, Bartok, Vivaldi, Pachelbel, etc. Other composers I listen to often are Jeremy Soule, Michael Hoenig, Howard Shore and Hans Zimmer.

Posted by Marxist

Tolstoy and Tchaikovsky are my favorite

I've noticed a severe lack of Wagner in this thread.

Posted by Omni

Anything with classical piano. Also, opera.

Quoted post: I've noticed a severe lack of Wagner in this thread.

Oh, and Paganini. Come on. Easily the best violinist to ever live.

Posted by netman

I played in classical concert bands for about 7 years, so ive had my share of classical music.

Always had a soft spot for Canon in D

Posted by Fort Shino

Sometimes I just want to listen to something soothing so I will listen to classical. It helps to calm me down/focus.

Posted by WillisGreeny

I'll put up a different question here, recycle the thread:
Which classical musician would have created the best modern music if he were alive in this day and age? (suppose their work was done by another guy in the past, so it still exsisted)

If there's one classical/romantic musician who would have dominated the present-day music industry (IMO) would have to be Beethoven. Yes he's a 'mainstream' kind of composer to bring up since everyone has heard his name, but he did invent the 'meter', and expanded many musical mediums beyond most composers. He was quite the musical exparimentalist, which would have been perfect for composing rock.

Wagner. Biggest influence, in terms of classical music, on the metal genre.

Posted by Ch

Quoting Shade32: I enjoy some Bach from time to time. Although it's much more fun to play than to listen to it.

Bach pieces are so plain and boring to play. After playing Bach pieces on Violin for 12 years it gets a little boring.

But overall I love Classical stuff. I grew up learning these pieces so I love them.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Wagner. Biggest influence, in terms of classical music, on the metal genre.

Indeed, Wagner is fantastic. Nietzsche was also a follower/critic of his music.

As with art, poetry and literature, I prefer the Romantic period above all else. And as usual I dislike the Baroque period immensely.

Posted by WillisGreeny

[QUOTE=Ch

Posted by Crazy K

[quote=Omni;609972]Anything with classical piano. Also, opera.

Same here. I like some classical music, I can't name anyone because I rarely listen to it. But I started to like Jesper Kyd who does the music for the Hitman video games, and other video games.