New generation pokes vs. old

Posted by Xtacy

Is it just me or are the new generations of pokemon progressively getting much much worse? It just seems to me they are steadily running out of ideas. And it's understandable, there are only so many animals you can use for Pokemon. But if they're out of ideas, they should stop trying to make new ones and stick to the old ones with a few new pokemon...

Red/Blue. They contained the best pokemon: All of the Pokemon had creative names, and looked normal. Example: Charmander, Charizard. Aerodactyl. Dragonite, all names which make sense based on them and creative appearances.

Gold/Silver. They did degenerate in quality, and yet they were all still creatively named and good. Feraligatr, Qwilfish, Piloswine....you could still tell where most of them were derived from, and they were mostly different from the old Pokemon.

And then we have the Ruby Sapphire pokemon........."Lombre" ....."Skitty"....what are with these names? "Torchic" "NinjasK"...it's as if they just made up words in their minds...or took an english words than added some weird ending like,like taking "Light" then adding "Lightro"......that's the kind of names....and most of them are too alike older pokemon....like "Delcatty", isn't that pretty much Meowth?

Meh, maybe because Pokemon is intended for an audience much younger than me I'm the only one who cares about it....

Anyways these 4th generation previews are disappointing:
http://www.serebii.net/diamondpearl/pokemon.shtml

Posted by Mystic Hero

I have to agree, the first generation was excellent, when the second generation was finally released in the U.S I much enjoyed being able to catch 250 Pokemon instead of 150 and I enjoyed the new evolutions of some of the oldies. But when Ruby/Saphire came out the Pokemon started to look gay. Zigzagoon to me is one of the most annoying Pokemon in thw whole game, kind of like Oddish, and in my opinion si a weak one even at its evolution. Ruby/Saphire bored me after a while, there wasn't much to do after the League excepty catch the last two legenaries and some evolutions looked kind of stupid. Numel to Camerupt, I thought both of those looked dumb. Even some of the names sounded stupid, names like Linoone, Mightyena, I got the impression that they tried a little too hard I was expecting something worthwhile when the game came out, I wasn't impressed. I think they should have stopped at 251, but that's just me. I'm hoping that the next generation will be much more exciting and not look stupid. But with names like MunchLax, I'm doubtful.

Posted by Shade

Wait, your main complaint with Ruby and Sapphire were the names? That's not much, considering the Pokemon games are all about gameplay and not "omg this pokmon has stupid name oll."

And there was plenty to do after the Elite Four. There's always the whole, catch every pokemon thing, the Battle Tower, and the contests. Although I won't argue that G/S/C were the best games.

Posted by Mystic Hero

Quoting Shade: Wait, your main complaint with Ruby and Sapphire were the names? That's not much, considering the Pokemon games are all about gameplay and not "omg this pokmon has stupid name oll."

And there was plenty to do after the Elite Four. There's always the whole, catch every pokemon thing, the Battle Tower, and the contests. Although I won't argue that G/S/C were the best games.

dude, it's not just ther names for me, it's the overall picture of them and the names. Not only that but the personality thing seemed kind of dumb. i don't need to know what nature my Pokemon has, who knows what this might spur. They may add things like "if the Pokemon has green eyes it has a better attack power" or "if your ID number has a 1 in the tens palce then all your Pokemon will have a good Defense." And I achieved most of my pokemon before i beat the Elite 4. After I beat them I have around 120. The last 82 I got within a short while. This is mainly the reason why I don't even play it anymore. And if you say things like "what about Star collecting?" I got the rest of the stars a few months after, too lazy to get them all at once. It was too short for me, I like Pokemon games with length.

Posted by Takuya Kanabara

Old generation is better. Long before Ruby or Sapphire games were in stores, I was scoping out the new pokemon. I found most of them strange. I told a friend and we had a good chat about it. I told him "Nintendo ran out of pokemon names". "Their new pokemon look strange and have strange names." I think they had a big jar of letters. They kept pulling letters from the jar until they got something that made a little sense or just look like a nice arrangement of letters.

Posted by sabre

I don't have a clue how anyone can say that they've got worse with their names. For crying out loud, Horsea? It's seahorse, with the syllables rearranged. Haunter? It haunts. Come on, these names have never been grand as such.

I personally quite liked the new generation. It led to a more balanced game I felt, and it was interesting to have something different to play with. Not sure if I preferred it, but I definitely don't rank it below the first. Heck, my only real discrepancy in it is that some of them such as Taillow didn't seem all too different to existing pok

Posted by VicE

I really don't get why everyone seems to hate on the newer Pokemon so much. If anything, the later batches are far more inventive and creative than the earlier ones were. I happen to like those completely outlandish ones that don't seem to be based on any easily recognizable thing. I like inventing and drawing bizarre little creatures like those in my spare time, and a lot of the newer Pokemon look so much like the kind of stuff I draw that I can't help but love them.

I mean, just look at the Pokes from R/B/Y, a lot of them were pretty much just regular animals made a different color and given a different name (Pidgey, Rattata, etc...) Exeggutor was probably the weirdest one there, and even then it's pretty much just a tree with legs. Then you get to Ruby/Sapphire, and, while there are a few rather generic ones in there (Linoone, Swellow, I'm looking at you) you also get the wonderfully off the wall crazy looking ones like Nosepass, Mawhile, Cradily, Claydol, etc. and I absolutely love those; even if a lot of them aren't really worth using in battle, they're still really fun design-wise.

And I don't get the complaints with the names, either. It's not like the R/B/Y names were the pinnacle of originality either. Electrode? Ditto? Golem? Heck, they didn't even bother to change the spelling of the real words those names were taken from! I stand by my opinion that Combusken is the greatest Pokemon name EVER. Combustible chicken! Hehehe!

Posted by Jak Pattinson

nosepass reminds me of krazy racers for the gba. they got him in a kart, driving.

teh new pokemon are much much cooler than the old ones. the creativness has certianly been taken up a notch. i like the names too. rukario seems to have a ring to it. unlike squirtle; which is just plain old boring. the designs have also gotten better, but as sabre*** said, they are beginnning to look similar. even the whole evolution thing. i mean, theres weedle and kakuna and their evo's, but then there's silcoon and cascoon and their evolutions. and if im not mistaken, beautifly seems an awful lot like butterfree, but with differnt moves. ever since dark and metal were introduced, the games did get more enjoyable, though.

Posted by inequity

The old pokemon were easy to remember. If you looked at a snorlax, you automaticlly knew it was snorlax. But now with this....300 or so new pokemon, the got all these whacked out japanese names. They should have stopped at 250. These Pokemon Advance pokemon are just not the same.

Posted by sabre

[quote=VicE]I really don't get why everyone seems to hate on the newer Pokemon so much. If anything, the later batches are far more inventive and creative than the earlier ones were.Definitely, with the possible exceptions of the baby pok

Posted by Shade

For a while, my friend and I were obsessed with Xatu, it was just such a cool name, and looked like a living Totem Pole.

Posted by Jak Pattinson

its psychic was pretty powerful too. i used to use it a lot in pokmon silver.

Posted by VicE

I forgot about Xatu... that's another one of my favorites. I love its design, and the idea of a psychic living totem pole is just too kickass. Plus, it gets extra coolness points for having such a completely awesome name. Anything that starts with an X gets an automatic awesome from me. :)

Posted by Shade

Definately, it's such as underused letter. :)

Posted by Sean Fury

I loved the original Pokemon and the second generation was great too, but the third and fourth made/make me cry. I mean, I love how indepth you can go with the gameplay in the new games, but the new Pokemon are just...horrible.

Posted by Average n00b

The new generation of pokemon's names are weak. ((Example: Muchlax: Known to scrounge for food.)) And the looks of the pokemon are lame. ((Example: Taillow, Whimser)) but, the pokemon themselves are still strong. I still like the classics though..

Posted by Chronic

When I was like eight I played pokeman (as I call it today) and the only ones a I know are the old ones so I would say old ones.

Posted by crimsoncinder

I agree, the old pokes when it first came out where cool. But now, they just suck. They all repetitive, stupidly named and look retarted. I mean they look like:

THIS! This is just dumb. (but I gave up on poke a long time ago)

Posted by Corrupt

With the addition of Pok

Posted by FavoJavo

I thinke their both pretty cool but Vice is right.
But Cactnea is creepy its a stupid cactice.

Posted by Dark

Rukario and Manyula actually looks pretty good, I don't see what's wrong with them.

As for the new gen Pokemon, there's nothing wrong with them, either. I honestly don't believe that you could dislike Pokemon for their name. Even if you think the sprites look dumb, I don't care much for how it looks. I didn't buy the game to gawk at how they look. I go for gameplay, the new moves, new towns, etc. I think the new gen Pokemon are pretty good replacements (Skitty over Meowth, Poochyena over Growlithe/Houndour, Zigzagoon over Sentret). I think the new Pokemon look pretty cool, actually.

Another thing about the names, the old gen names play on words as much as new ones. Snorlax, Horsea, Shellder, Cloyster, Staryu, Kangaskhan, etc etc. Torchic is a fire-type bird, therefore torch+chick? Treecko is a grass-type lizard, so tree+gecko. Since Mudkip is a ground type, so it has "mud" in the name.

Posted by Lycindya

I think that old pok'emon can be just as good as the new. I mean look at Pickachu, it's just as good as Minus & Plusel, maybe even better!!!!

Posted by Lycindya

Come on there has to be someone out there!!!!!!!!!

PS:Lycindya is a pokemon I made up . It is a cat/legendary pokemonthat is totally
AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Posted by Swecoon

You know it isn't very fair that old pokemon are put down. The fact is most old pokemon are better.I mean, exsept the legendarys. If you put Picachu against Minus & Plusel, Picachu will win. If you put Charmander against Torcle ,Charmander will win. Put Meowth against Segranet, and Meoth will win. DO YOU GET MY PIONT!!!!!!!

Posted by giminius

Maybe the reason why so many pokemon seem similar in the third generation to the other generations (like taillow, zigzagoon, wurmple) is that the game makers had to restart in a new world and created new pokemon to populate it that resembled the originals. The similarities are kind of like finding different species of mice or insects in different areas of the world.

The older pokemon are more normal, but the later ones are getting stranger - they have a different, more abstract style.

Posted by sabre

[quote] Segranet,What the hell is that?

I'm fine with new pokemon and old pokemon alike. I don't subscribe to the "omg it's new so it's bad" kinda mindset, I'm good for new designs. I've not disliked a generation, and frankly most of the arguments saying "omg the old ones are the best" tend to simply be turning a blind eye, from what I've seen.

Posted by giminius

Quoting Sabredog: What the hell is that?

I'm fine with new pokemon and old pokemon alike. I don't subscribe to the "omg it's new so it's bad" kinda mindset, I'm good for new designs. I've not disliked a generation, and frankly most of the arguments saying "omg the old ones are the best" tend to simply be turning a blind eye, from what I've seen.

Maybe it's sentret mispelled, or the real name of sentret's third form:)

Actually, the design changes are quite interesting; one can even see them in the movies, as more and more mystical and ancient elements are added into pokemon, along with the unown and the ho-oh legend that replaced the blurbish legendary birds.

But with that song-bird crossed with a musical note, they may be going a little far...
It's not just that the generations are new and have new ideas, it's that they have a new underlying creative philosophy. (makuhita is an example-you would never have seen such a thing among the original 151)

Posted by Lord of Spam

Nothing Pokemon can do will compare to rocking out at lunch in middel school with the cards. That was some hardcore stuff.

And thats all I have to say about that.

Posted by GameMiestro

I do think that the pokemon have progressed in quality, but mostly in quantity. They're rehashing some of the same old ideas (plusle for pikachu, skitty for meoth, etc.), however, this isn't completely bad. Virtually everyone agrees that Salamence is a lot cooler looking than Dragonite, and Rayquaza blows Mewtwo out of the figurative water. If they do give up on animal based monsters completely, it will probably kill the series, and possibly my interest. Where's a worm based Pokemon, I ask you?

Posted by giminius

a) Salamence looks like a mud pie with limbs.
b) Wurmple

c) Pokemon should become only loosely based on real animals, in that they have legs and wings. However, they should adopt completely new forms that make they look truly awesome, and beyond mundane animals. Take Altaria as an example.

Posted by Abby Ratso

all the name haters out there
when you catch a pokemon out there YOU CAN NICKNAME IT DAMIT so if you dont like the name, spend some time making a better name
what realy made me mad was in Ruby and Saph they took out about 100 pokemon, which is enfuriation