Stand By and Remote Desktop

Posted by Proto Man

I was wondering, is it possible to access your computer from Remote Desktop while it's in S3 (standby) mode?

I usually leave my computer on all weekend while I am gone, but have my monitor shut off. I don't like wasting power, and thought maybe I should put it into standby, but then the reason I leave my computer on is so I can get to it via remote desktop.

Posted by Omni

Did you ever think about trying it as sort of a test run? Probably the best idea if you're unsure. That or looking on some kind of official site's FAQ/Help page, because usually obvious questions like this are contained in those.

I don't actually know, but that's my advice. Or you could delete your System 32 folder.

Posted by KoH

Your monitor doesn't need to be on in order to use any Remote Desktop application. A PC's power isn't tied together with the monitor, therefore using common logic, you can leave your PC on and turn your monitor off.

FYI: Your computer behaves exactly the same as it would normally when you're using remote desktop apps. This means that if it goes on a screensaver, even with the login requested when you come back, you will still have to log in on your remote desktop app.

Oh and um... good job in your failed attempt to help Proto, Omni... real nice job there, bud.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting KoH: Your monitor doesn't need to be on in order to use any Remote Desktop application. A PC's power isn't tied together with the monitor, therefore using common logic, you can leave your PC on and turn your monitor off.

FYI: Your computer behaves exactly the same as it would normally when you're using remote desktop apps. This means that if it goes on a screensaver, even with the login requested when you come back, you will still have to log in on your remote desktop app.

Yes, that is the current setup I have now. I was talking about puting the PC into standby. I did some checking into it, and I guess it is possible the PC and NIC supports Wake on LAN, but then I have Wi-Fi, so I still don't know if it's possible. Thanks though.

Posted by KoH

Um... I did answer it. Maybe you failed to read this part of the post:

[quote=KoH]FYI: Your computer behaves exactly the same as it would normally when you're using remote desktop apps. This means that if it goes on a screensaver, even with the login requested when you come back, you will still have to log in on your remote desktop app.

You know, the OTHER half of what I said.

So in reality, I DID answer your exact question.

And btw:

"Omni agrees: Yeah, apparently you didn't help him with what he was looking for either, so good job at that, too. LOL"

You are INCREDIBLY stupid. Stop trolling an online message board and get an actual ****ing life.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting KoH: Um... I did answer it. Maybe you failed to read this part of the post

That I did. Sorry, and thanks.

Posted by Trigger

Wake on LAN should apply to your wireless network card as well; it should force the computer to return to its normal state when network activity requests begin. The best advice has already been mentioned: try it, it's the only way you will ever know for certain.