New Ayreon album

Posted by Klarth

Entire thing's been written. No big revelations on content yet, but drums have been recorded (mr Ed Warby is contributing again).

Oh, and the first vocalist is Magali Luyten (yeah, who?) - and she's recorded her parts.

THERE IS A SAMPLE~

http://ayreon.com/ayreon/ayreonseven/mystery_singer1.mp3

Confirmed Singers:
1. Magali Luyten (Beautiful Sin)
2. Simone Simons (Epica)
3. Ty Tabor (King's X)
4. Liselotte Hegt (Dial)
5. Arjen Lucassen (Ayreon)
6. Thomas Englund (Evergrey)
7. J

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Not over the moon about the sample, but it definitely sounds like something Ayreon would put out. Anyways, this album has a lot to live up to after the Human Equation.

Posted by Klarth

Note that it's a demo and they haven't recorded anything other than the drums yet. :o Also, Dan Swano was interested in it, and Arjen was interested in mister Swano, but he'd already chosen a lineup. How sad...

Interestingly, the lyrics in that sample seem to involve a "migrator"...

Universal Migrator Part 3?

Quoted post: Note that it's a demo and they haven't recorded anything other than the drums yet.

Yeah... obviously. Just not a fan of the vocals.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Cool. Looking forward to it.

Posted by Shade

It'd be awesome if Daniel Gildenlow was in on this one. I don't think Arjen's used him yet, anyway.

Looking forward to it.

Posted by Omni

Hey, I rather like these vocals. Sounds very gospel.

Posted by Klarth

hey let's post our wishlists for vocalists!

Mikael Stanne (Dark Tranquillity)
Daniel Gildenlow (Pain of Salvation)
Anette Olzon (Nightwish)
John Haughm (Agalloch)
Garm (Ulver)
Kjetil Nordhus (Green Carnation)
Liv Kristine (Leaves' Eyes)
Robert Sjarnstrom (Machinae Supremacy)
Varg Vik- wait no

Quoted post: Garm (Ulver)

That's all we need.

Actually, it would be awesome to hear Tyko Saarikko from Tenhi in an Ayreon song. Maybe one of the slower ones.

Posted by Shade

John Haughm (Agalloch)
Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree)
Mathias Blad (Falconer)
Khan (Kamelot)
Russel Allen (Symphony X) I know Arjen's had him work in one of his projects, but it wasn't Ayreon. So technically, he'd still be a new addition.

Also, the girl from Within Temptation. As well as whoever sang 'Trul' on Gothic Kabbalah.

Posted by Omni

Quoting Klarth: Varg Vik- wait no

I LOL'd.

Yeah, I'd like to see Garm on there. Can't seem to think of anyone who hasn't been mentioned in this thread.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Tarja Turunen (:))
Liv Kristine (Leave's Eyes)
Roy Khan (Kamelot)
Russell Allen (Symphony X)

Posted by Hyper

Russell Allen was on one of the Universal Migrators I thought. Other than that, I agree with all the other suggestions. Especially Garm and Khan. And I think Matthew Bellamy would do pretty good on an Ayreon album too. He was suggested to Arjen by a friend of mine so it's a possibility.

Posted by Shade

Nah, I think he was on the Star One tour.

Posted by Omni

I forgot. Marco Hietala could be on there.

Posted by Hyper

Quoting Shade32: Nah, I think he was on the Star One tour.

Or, you know, both. Considering I'm right.

Posted by Shade

****, you are. Completely missed him on Universal Migrator Pt. 2.

Posted by Omni

[quote=Wikipeda]"Dawn of a Million Souls"

This song makes reference to the Big Bang itself, and according to Lucassen's fantasy, the primordial soul, the Universal Migrator — which subsequently divides into a million souls — is generated in this event. Vocals on this song were provided by Russell Allen and guitar solos were provided by Michael Romeo, both musicians are from Symphony X. Backing vocals were provided by Damian Wilson.

Yeah, you're right. I actually looked for it earlier.

Ah, ****, ninja'd.

Posted by Omni

I just realized that if Vamp picked the guy from Tenhi, I should say Neige. They're on the same record label.

Posted by Shade

Pretty much all of my favorite vocalists were used up THE, so I haven't had much to add to the wish list for this album.

EDIT: and no PHM i don't think he'd fit well with it

Yeah, I was thinking Neige, but his voice just isn't powerful enough. Also, Russell Allen's vocals ****ing suck.

Posted by Shade

You, my good sir, are wrong.

Posted by Omni

I'm gonna agree with Vamp. They're not that good.

Posted by Shade

Tom Englund (Evergrey)

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Shade32: You, my good sir, are wrong.

why do people say "sir" on the internet when they are condescending/in an argument

Posted by Shade

Mock respect, etc etc

Posted by Hyper

Quoting Omni: I'm gonna agree with Vamp. They're not that good.

He's my second favorite vocalist, so I'm actually gonna go with Shade on this one.

---

William Shatner would be EPIC

Posted by Klarth

http://ayreon.com/ayreon/ayreonseven/mystery_singer2.mp3

New sample.

Posted by Omni

That's pretty good. Any idea who it is?

Posted by Klarth

Nope. Some people are guessing it's Irene Jansen, but...

Posted by Klarth

Oh, wait. It's Simone Simons (Epica's singer).

Posted by Shade

It sounds more like Simone than Irene.

Posted by Grave Wisdom

Garm and Kahn

Would've liked to see Swano on it also though :(

Posted by Klarth

Been a while since I updated this.

New vocalists: Ty Tabor (awesome), Arjen Lucassen (duh), Liselotte Hegt (who?), THOMAS ENGLUND.

OF EVERGREY.

[url=http://www.ayreon.com/ayreon/ayreonseven/mystery_singer3.mp3]Ty Tabor sample[/url]
[url=http://www.ayreon.com/ayreon/ayreonseven/mystery_singer4_5.mp3]Arjen and Liselotte sample[/url]
[url=http://www.ayreon.com/ayreon/ayreonseven/mystery_singer6.mp3]I SEE MANY REPTILES[/url] (Thomas Englund sample)

So far no vocalist I actually care to hear. Though Englund is pretty cool.

Posted by Shade

Englund HELL YES. His sample sounds amazing, too.

Posted by Klarth

The sample featuring Arjen and Liselotte is called "The Truth Is In Here".

Also, Liselotte is married to Kristoffer Gildenlow.

Posted by Shade

I'd like to think that that's a hint from Arjen that Daniel's going to be on the album. But I doubt he will be. :(

Posted by Klarth

Well here's an interesting thing a very well-placed e-friend of mine left on my blog. (Note: This guy fraternises with the likes of Dan Gildenlow, Russel Allen, other interesting metal people)

[quote]I sort of knew Englund was going to be in on this, since Arjen kinda gave it away when we handed him a copy of The Inner Circle: "I already have this, the singer is great", or something like that.

We also gave him The Perfect Element part I and Dreaming Neon Black, so don't give your final cheer just yet.

So... Dan G and Warrel D are likely possibilities!

Posted by Shade

I'm tingling in anticipation.

Posted by Klarth

http://www.ayreon.com/ayreon/ayreonseven/mystery_singer7.mp3

New sample. J

Posted by Klarth

http://www.ayreon.com/ayreon/ayreonseven/mystery_singer8.mp3

Singer number eight! And for once I actually recognised it as soon as I heard the voice.

It's Jonas Renkse of Katatonia, I'm positive. And there are growls. Awesome!

Posted by Klarth

Triple posting! ****, look at me go!

Well I have here a very limited demo track someone nice hooked me up with. It was on Ayreon's Myspace page for a few hours in July, and only a lucky few were able to hear it. I scoured the internet for days afterwards, using every searching trick I could muster, and I couldn't find it. Seemed like nobody had ripped it, nothing. I even tried Soulseek, but no joy.

I came across somebody on Last.fm who hinted at having it, and asked after it. Bam, got it. Mother****ing hard to track down. VGC now has the slight honour of being the only place this seems to be publicly available.

[code]http://www.sendspace.com/file/an2l98[/code]

Heavy passages, violin, keyboards... Now all it needs is vocals.

Katatonia? Really? Now that was unexpected.

Posted by Hyper

Yeah, it took me completely by surprise when I realized who it was. Our good friend Jack had all ready tried to spoil it for me; luckily, I ignored his random outburst as normal.

Posted by Klarth

Hey Hyper! Did you know that I am actually the greatest person in all of existence? I am perpetually the greatest being to have ever imposed dominion upon an internet forum.

Ayreon is the most potent **** in existence as far as operatic progressive metal goes and I am enthusiastic about the magnitude of the awesomeness involved in this field.

**** everything.

Posted by Klarth

The above post is evidence that I shouldn't be allowed to talk about music while drunk.

Anyway:

[quote]Thanks for the many compliments on vocalist sample #8! It will come as no suprise that it's indeed Jonas Renkse (not ReNSke as I recently learned myself!) because it's no secret that their last album 'The Great Cold Distance" is one of my favorite albums of the last years. And yes, especially for me he growled a couple of lines for the first time in 12 years, I'm honoured...and impressed. If you like the sample and you don't know Katatonia, check them out!

Posted by Omni

I liked the demo song. I'm glad we're the only people who have it right now.

Posted by Shade

Renkse being in there doesn't really surprise me that much. It's funny, he looks verrrrrry ****ed in that picture.

also, wtf is wrong with my font?

EDIT: Demo sounds AMAZING.

Quoted post: because it's no secret that their last album 'The Great Cold Distance" is one of my favorite albums of the last years.

That album sucked.

Quoted post: It's funny, he looks verrrrrry ****ed in that picture.

His main genre for the past however many years has been metal. He can't help it.

Posted by Klarth

[quote]That album sucked.
You are wrong. It didn't suck, it was just borderline mediocre. It had a few awesome songs.

Now, Discouraged Ones, ****, that was awful.

Mediocre is bad in my books.

Posted by Shade

Eh, I don't listen to Katatonia for the album, but for the few songs that kick *** on it. July and My Twin <3

Posted by Omni

I don't listen to Katatonia at all, really.

Posted by Klarth

I'd recommend Last Fair Deal Gone Down to absolutely anyone, and Brave Murder Day to Opeth fans.

Posted by Omni

I have the latter, I just didn't find it memorable enough to listen to more than one time, although I did accidentally loop "For Funerals To Come" about 190 times by mistake, and it's my top track on Last.fm right now.

Quoted post: Eh, I don't listen to Katatonia for the album, but for the few songs that kick *** on it. July and My Twin <3

Never italicize anything in that font every again.

Posted by Klarth

Yeah, that does that say? Ftblaz? Failbt? Talk about fundamental kerning ****-ups.

Posted by Klarth

Oh, and vocalist total has been bumped up to 17. Also, one of the songs featuring Simone Simons will be called "Web of Lies".

Posted by Shade

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Never italicize anything in that font every again.

I don't even know what's ****ing wrong with it. I go to fix it and apparently it's still in Latha. =/

Well just don't do it. For some reason it turned "for the album" into "falbum." Just a protip.

Also, that's a lot of vocalists. More than I expected.

Posted by Shade

Yeah, and there's still nine(?) slots left to fill. Lots of possibilities.

Posted by Klarth

[url=http://www.ayreon.com/ayreon/ayreonseven/mystery_singer9.mp3]Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine...[/url]

Uploaded about five minutes ago now. I caught it within thirty seconds. :)

And it's... I'm almost positive... Nay, CERTAIN.

It's Anneke van Giersbergen.

Now that was pretty good.

Posted by Omni

Yeah, I enjoyed that one.

Posted by Klarth

There are three HIDDEN MESSAGES =o in this sample.

Binary translates to "HELP".
Yes/no and on/off are also binary, and translate to "SOS SOS" and "FOREVER" respectively.

Omni was telling me this. I said it's a cry for help. He's going to commit suicide shortly after the release. Heard it here first.

Posted by Shade

Flight of the Conchords binary solo ripoff, I'd say. :p:

But in all seriousness that sounded pretty great.

Posted by Klarth

I have here a clumsy syncing job. Apologies for how awkward it sounds when he cuts in.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/34130899df302d/

I think we know what song Englund is on now!

Posted by Klarth

[quote=shaaykaynu]Hate to disappoint you (and many with you) We did talk to Daniel G, and he was certainly interested, but alas, for this album it wasn't quite possible. The next hopefully.
Oh well. :( Still holding out for Garm, Robert and Warrel.

Posted by Omni

I'm surprised Steven Wilson isn't on one of these yet.

Posted by Klarth

Arjen: "After Actual Fantasy I wrote letters to about 50 singers/musicians if they wanted to guest on Ayreon, and (besides those who agreed) I only got a few answers. Among them were Donovan, Phil Mogg (UFO), Stephen Duffy (ex-Duran Duran) and Steven Wilson. Steven liked Actual Fantasy (especially productionwise), and Strange Hobby even more. He wrote me a detailed review/letter on my material and I really appreciated that. Unfortunately my music was/is too prog for him. And he didn't consider himself to be a good enough singer/guitarplayer. Obviously I disagree."

Posted by Omni

Haha, there goes Shade's dreams. Also, I think Steven Wilson is a huge faggot now and I'm glad I'm not really a fan of his music.

That sounds like a pretty lame excuse if you ask me. Not saying PT is a complex prog band, but still...

Posted by Klarth

More news...

There are two guest keyboardists, one guest guitarist, one drummer (Ed Warby), one violinist (Ben Mathot), one lead guitarist (Arjen Lucassen).

Nine lead roles, eight-plus supporting role. Note: The revealed singers so far aren't necessarily the lead cast.

Posted by Shade

Quoting Omni: Haha, there goes Shade's dreams. Also, I think Steven Wilson is a huge faggot now and I'm glad I'm not really a fan of his music.

I hate you for life.

Also, no Gildenlow on this album makes me cry. :'(

Posted by Hyper

Steven's music is great but he comes off as a dick sometimes.

Posted by Klarth

Three new samples since I last updated:

http://www.ayreon.com/ayreon/ayreonseven/mystery_singer10.mp3
http://www.ayreon.com/ayreon/ayreonseven/mystery_singer11.mp3
http://www.ayreon.com/ayreon/ayreonseven/mystery_singer12.mp3

10 is Bob Catley of British melodic rock band Magnum.
11 might be someone named Phideaux Xavier, a slightly obscure prog artist. The sample is from the track featuring Simone, "Web of Lies". Check out PX's [url=http://www.myspace.com/phideaux]Myspace[/url].
12 is either Floor Jansen or Irene Jansen singing a duet with J

Haven't heard of any of those people, neat!

Posted by Klarth

Irene Jansen was on The Human Equation. Floor Jansen was on The Dream Sequencer and Space Metal.

Oh right, she was Passion... Huh, totally forgot.

Posted by Klarth

Confirmed: Phideaux Xavier and Floor Jansen.

Posted by Klarth

Vocalist total has been raised to 18.

Posted by Klarth

http://www.ayreon.com/ayreon/ayreonseven/mystery_singer13.mp3

Steve Lee.

Posted by Shade

Sounds goooooood.

Posted by Klarth

http://www.ayreon.com/ayreon/ayreonseven/mystery_singer14.mp3

:)

:D

Posted by Omni

Who is that?

EDIT: Hansi of Blind Guardian? Do not want. I don't forgive him for ruining Queen music.

Posted by Fragliche

What a pleasantly unexpected surprise. Hansi is one of my favorite vocalists, so I'm really looking forward to the upcoming Ayreon album now.

Posted by Hyper

yay hansi :cool:

Posted by Shade

Eh, it's okay. I like the violin part, though.

Posted by mitchrlamb

Quoting Hyper: yay hansi :cool:

Couldn't have said it better myself (:
This album should be pretty awesome.

Hansi? Nice. I expect BG-like choruses at one point or another then.

Posted by Klarth

Leading cast:
1. Tom Englund
2. Jorn Lande
3. Jonas Renkse
4. Anneke van Giersbergen
5. Bob Catley
6. Floor Jansen
7. Steve Lee
8. Hansi Kursch
9. Magali Luyten
10. ????

Supporting cast:
1. Simone Simons
2. Ty Tabor
3. Arjen Lucassen
4. Liselotte Hegt
5. Phideaux Xavier
6. ????
7. ????
8. ????

One more main cast singer (who hasn't been recorded yet), and two more supporting singers. These two will be relatively obscure people; Ayreon's going to be something of a big break for them. One guy, one girl.

There might be an eighteenth singer. Arjen keeps changing his mind.

Posted by Hyper

daniel. ****in. gildenlow.

Posted by Omni

I'm surprised Klarth didn't post these.

http://www.ayreon.com/ayreon/ayreonseven/mystery_singer15_16.mp3

This is Wudstik and Marjan, people I have no idea who are.

Quoting Hyper: daniel. ****in. gildenlow.

http://www.ayreon.com/ayreon/ayreonseven/mystery_singer17.mp3

There he is. I hope you're happy.

Arjen decided there will be no more singers. Sorry, no Garm this time.

Posted by Shade

**** YEAH

I hate that this computer has no audio right now. :(

Posted by Omni

That's your computer's way of telling you that you need to listen to music other than ****ty prog sometimes.

Posted by Omni

Pulling a Klarth right now, but the new album will be called 01011001.

Posted by Shade

Quoting Omni: That's your computer's way of telling you that you need to listen to music other than ****ty prog sometimes.

Not my computer. WHAT UP

And I listen to good prog thank you very much

So the album's name is "Y"? Huh...

Posted by Admiral Anthrax

I like what I hear so far. I'll either buy a copy, or steal a copy of Ian's, depending on who buys first.

Posted by Shevanel

I left before I could boast about this