PSP price vs worth

Posted by Animec

correct me if im rong but doesnt the Psp and new gameboy cost about 350$ its retarded that it coost more than the company consles. the graphic are good but and you can carry it around but its still not worth 350$. Any way Nokia N-Gage has basicly as good graphic (depends on the) and with the N-Gage you can use it as a phone , surf the internet, email, fax, text message, watch video. If i had alot money to burn i might get it but in a year or so there will be a new model does anyone think it truly worth it

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

No, I am waiting for the price to drop before I even consider actually buying it.

Posted by captain caveman

ya, I just finaly went out and bought a ps2 and gt4 for $180 and I still need to get a memory card(just had to get a ps2 for gt4 alone). No way am I going to spend 250 on a portable. Just not even possible with the little money I make. To bad it isn't cheaper

Posted by Pit

There isn't a new Gameboy. Where did you get the price $350 from? If you mean the Nintendo DS, which isn't the new Gameboy, it's worth $150. The Sony PSP is worth $250. The N-Gage has pretty bad controls, no games, and it overall sucks as a game system. The reason things like this cost more than consoles is because of prtability. Can you take your Gamecube or PS2 on a train trip while going to work? Hell, I don't think so.

Posted by Boner

Out of pure randomness, I stopped at Best Buy on the way home from work today and bought this system. I spent $450 and got a nice bundle with it. I got 2 games of my choice. I chose Untold Legends and Wipeout Pure. I also get 2 months of unlimited rentals for this, or any system at Best Buy. (They mail you the rentals and you mail them back when you are done. No late fees). I also get 15 MP3 downloads from Napster. A USB link cable to connect to my computer (or my ps2). Also included was the Best Buy 2 year replacement plan in case anything happens to it. They included a $10 gift card and a couple of magazine subscriptions. All in all, it wasn't a bad deal. The system also came with the UMD movie Spider-Man 2. Lucky for me, I hadn't seen it yet. I just watched it. The clarity to the PSP is awesome. For me, this was totaly worth the money.

Posted by Pit

Yeah, to me, I still don't think that it's worth $250. They should have bundled it with a memory stick with more capacity than 32MB. The more I play the system though, the more I love it, and seeing as so many games are out already, I have a lot to choose from in the next months. So, cool, I guess :cool:

Posted by Darkbackward

Quoting Pit: The N-Gage has pretty bad controls, no games, and it overall sucks as a game system.

You add to the pool of ignorance in the circle of moderators, all you need to do is delete posts and swear and you'll be a full fledged modling!

All your opinions suck, frankly, pathway to glory controls only work with the numpad, the screen was designed for that game, snakes is another great game that fits the controls. It doesn't suck as a game system, you are merely a fanboy with no firsthand experience save for the horrible launch memory and maybe some demo trips at a game store.

I have truly played the n-gage QD and the best games out, this system does not suck, sorry, but you have been tagged.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Darkbackward: You add to the pool of ignorance in the circle of moderators, all you need to do is delete posts and swear and you'll be a full fledged modling!

All your opinions suck, frankly, pathway to glory controls only work with the numpad, the screen was designed for that game, snakes is another great game that fits the controls. It doesn't suck as a game system, you are merely a fanboy with no firsthand experience save for the horrible launch memory and maybe some demo trips at a game store.

I have truly played the n-gage QD and the best games out, this system does not suck, sorry, but you have been tagged.

You cant say his opinions suck and than try to say the N-Guage is a good console. If you have one, I know the other guy with one. Maybe you to can play Snake together or something.

Posted by Pit

Quoting Darkbackward: You add to the pool of ignorance in the circle of moderators, all you need to do is delete posts and swear and you'll be a full fledged modling!

Huzzah, I must be a fanboy. I'm such a fanboy that I own every console out there, WAIT, EXCEPT AN N-GAGE QD. Why would I own that? Because it has one game worthwhile? Look, kid, I'm not dishing out $100 bucks on that console just because it has 2 games in what, 2 years, that ranked pretty good. I mean, 2 years and what? Not even 100 games on the console. That's pretty pathetic. Just because you own a piece of crap console doesn't mean that you have to protect it. I'll stay here having fun with my DS, PSP, and GBA SP.

Oh, and on that note, I have had first hand experience. My friend owns one. Live less than 5 minutes away from me. I don't need to own one to have first hand experience on it. Sonic N blew, he got Puzzle Bobble thinking it would be as good as the one on GBC, and that failed. Face it, it blows. Go get a GBA SP. Seriously. I don't think any true gamer can take the N-Gage seriously as a handheld console. And here you say my opinions suck? If mines suck, I don't know what to say about yours.

Posted by Random

Price isn't an object when it comes to great quality games. However theres only a handful of games so it's not worth purchasing yet. But I do plan on buying one. It doesn't matter if it's even $300. With games like Grand Theft Auto, Final Fantasy VII Chrisis Core, Twisted Metal, NFS Underground 2, Metal Gear Acid (Which looks awesome for a card game. Its a RPG Card Game.. Sweet), Dragon BallZ, Syphon Filter, Mobile Suit Gundam, Tales of Eternia, not to mention one of my personal Favorites Romance of the Three Kingdoms V.

Those are hopefully some future great titles. it plays dvd's and oh yeah theres not much of a battery problem. They have recharge packs. 250 dollars is worth it. I'd buy one over a DS which has a few games even though it's been out longer and does little other then play games.

Posted by boomstick

I like what I see thus far on the PSP, but I think the $250 price is too steep, espically when it doesn't come without a game, I mean WTF is up with that?

I'll probably end up buying one, since I'm impressed with some of the launch titles, I'll probably just wait for a price drop, hopefully we'll that by this Christmas.

Quoting SomebodyRandom: Those are hopefully some future great titles. it plays dvd's and oh yeah theres not much of a battery problem. They have recharge packs. 250 dollars is worth it. I'd buy one over a DS which has a few games even though it's been out longer and does little other then play games.

Okay, the PSP doesn't play DVD's, it plays movies on UMD formats, there's a difference.

Posted by Speedfreak

No where near worth it, especially since you have to shell out roughly another $100 to make the music/movie part remotely decent.

Posted by Darth Vader

PSP is an awesome machine! It is best for having a portable DVD player and game machine. It is worth the price!

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

It will be worth the price in the future, once more movie are available on UMD and mroe games are out. Currently I'm only really interested in Mercury, and so I think I'll wait until the European launch for GTA and Freerunning...

Posted by Speedfreak

Like anyone with any sense would buy films on UMDs.

Posted by Nizmo

Maybe UMD's will have extra bonuses like DVD's. For example, if you play AVP on a DVD player, all you have are the special features and the film itself, as well as scene selection and options. However, if you play the disc on a computer, you have programs that are downloadable and links to some great sites relevant to the movie. With UMD's, they could do something like that, except, it wouldn't be sites and programs as extras, but demos of games based on the movie that are playable on the PSP.

UMD's aren't exactly going to revolutionise the way movies are watched, though.

Posted by Pit

Actually, I know some people that are buying the PSP for it's other functions rather than using it as a game machine. Someone I know is using it mainly for movies and mp3's. He said buying an iPod and a Portable DVD player doesn't come in one, but the PSP can basically do what they can. So he got himself the PSP and a one gig memory stick.

I'm getting it mainly for the games, but don't see the harm using it to play music.

Posted by Ch

Quoting Speedfreak: No where near worth it, especially since you have to shell out roughly another $100 to make the music/movie part remotely decent.

Really? why is that? Isn't the music player already included in the PSP?
P.S whats a fanboy? havn't heard that one before.

Posted by Al Borland

PSP can play music right from the start, but getting a memory card that is able to hold a lot of music is pretty expensive. A fanboy is somebody who is obsessed with a certain company and hates each other company. A Nintendo fanboy would praise the DS, then come on the PSP board and bash it without even backing it up.

Posted by Ch

oh. i see. If the price drops maybe to $150 then it seems like this PSP would be worth it. right now that seems ridiculous. buying all that stuff to support it.

Well if you want it as a games machine then it's not too pricey. It comes with a memory stick.

The good thing also is that other companies provide cheaper alternatives. SanDisk do a very good memory stick that's cheaper than Sony's. I personally got a 128Mb stick for

Posted by Tyler Durden

Portables, BLAH! That's just one more reason the youths of earth are becoming bloated, obese cows.

Posted by Pit

Quoting Sadistic Grin: Portables, BLAH! That's just one more reason the youths of earth are becoming bloated, obese cows.

That's funny. I've had a Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, Gameboy Advance SP, Nintendo DS, Sega Game Gear, Neo Geo, and a Playstation Portable and I'm not obese. In fact, I'm far from obese. I didn't know playing Video games was a factor in gaining weight.

Least of all, portables. I mean, they ENCOURAGE getting outside and walking and all that jazz.

I mean, if a games console were to induce obesity, surely it would be Microsoft's X-Box... it's a challenge to build up enough mass to rival it.

Oh, you say that joke's dead already? Sorry.

Posted by azn_x3_halo

who in middle school got a PSP...

Posted by NorthEastGamer

Well the PSP is expensive, its not worth the price. Every game for it is like $50 a piece. Its $100 more than the PS2 even though the PS2 is better. Better graphics, price, don't have to buy UMDs, you can just use DVDs. PSP is only better 'cause its portable. Really who wants to waste $100 more dollars for a PSP, there is already PS2 which is more better and cheaper. Eventually the price will go down, maybe next year.

Posted by Pit

Quoting NorthEastGamer: Well the PSP is expensive, its not worth the price. Every game for it is like $50 a piece. Its $100 more than the PS2 even though the PS2 is better. Better graphics, price, don't have to buy UMDs, you can just use DVDs. PSP is only better 'cause its portable. Really who wants to waste $100 more dollars for a PSP, there is already PS2 which is more better and cheaper. Eventually the price will go down, maybe next year.

Wow. I didn't know I can put the PSP in my pocket, play games, and movies, huh? I also didn't know that the PSP was large enough to play DVD's, thus, new media. It's not a Ps2, nor will it ever be. And what's this of waste? To me, it was an investment, and I'm having fun. While the package itself certainly isn't worth the price, you are satisfied with the end result.

Posted by Random

The PSP is pretty sweet. I've gotten to play one and i'm pretty hooked. The graphics and games are beastie, you can watch Movies, listen to music. It's really awesome. It's definately worth the price! I hope I get me one soon!

Interesting point raised though, NEGamer - I'm not too fond of shelling out 200 notes just for the privilege of taking my games with me. Especially since they're mostly similar to other ones on the home console - and factor in the battery life making it not particularly portable, I'm not sold.

Posted by Osic

UMD movies are pointless, There lower capasity then DVD's and so wont come witht the welth of extras seen on DVD's, they only play in 1 thing atm, being a screen the size of a matchbox. MP3's seem like a waste of a expensive and very scratchable LCD screen, looking at some of the MP3 players my friends have, most of them live in pockets and are not in very good shape after only a month or 2.

I dont think the PSP is remotly worth the asking price. Sure all the features sound great but in reality there not that good or practicle. Watching mvies seems great but novilty quickly wears of especialy when you an only watch 1 and half movies movie on 1 recharge.

As a games machine it seems OK but for the price your much better to buy a DS and half a dozen games.

Posted by aclotm

it's alright

Posted by Axis

Personally, I think it's kinda of a waste of money...at least right now. I'd wait for newer and better games to come out. So far the only games I've enjoyed are WipEout: Pure and Mercury. As for the UMD movies, bleh. None of the movies really interest me or I already have them. Besides, I already have a DVD player that I can take in the car.

1000th Post. :cookie:

Posted by Random

I think there are good games already out for the PSP. It already seems to have as good if not a better selection then the DS. Now i'm more of a home console kind of person but i'll probably pick up a PSP. The Games that are to be released look like they'll rock!

Posted by NorthEastGamer

Quoting Animec: correct me if im rong but doesnt the Psp and new gameboy cost about 350$ its retarded that it coost more than the company consles. the graphic are good but and you can carry it around but its still not worth 350$. Any way Nokia N-Gage has basicly as good graphic (depends on the) and with the N-Gage you can use it as a phone , surf the internet, email, fax, text message, watch video. If i had alot money to burn i might get it but in a year or so there will be a new model does anyone think it truly worth it

It is more expensive after your done paying each month for 1-2 years. When its over youll probably only get to play games and not surf the internet and call people. And you can also play movies on the DS (GBA Video) and PSP (UMDS). The N-Gage is smaller and the controls suck. The PSP and DS have a better price, its not retarded, the N-Gage is and so are you.

There's a major flaw in that argument, NEGamer - most PSP and DS gamers are going to be paying for their cellphones AS WELL as their DS habit, so there's really no difference in price that way.

There's an interesting article in Edge this month about all five new consoles, and why they're all better than each other - they've all got different things to add to the market.

Posted by Morag2

I don't really know much about the N-Gage so I won't comment much on that... if it's cheap with decent graphics then I think it sounds good. As for the Psp and DS... right now I'm not overly impressed with either of them... there are very few games I would actually buy where as there are tons I liked for the GBA... if I bought one of them I would both wait for way more games and wait for a price drop...

Posted by NorthEastGamer

Quoting Wings: There's a major flaw in that argument, NEGamer - most PSP and DS gamers are going to be paying for their cellphones AS WELL as their DS habit, so there's really no difference in price that way.

There's an interesting article in Edge this month about all five new consoles, and why they're all better than each other - they've all got different things to add to the market.

Well I can't afford to pay for a cell phone every month because I just wasted all my money on a DS and games for it. Which was about $220

Posted by Soul_Tassadar

here is my advice to anyone who wants a psp:

Gamecube + Resident Evil 4 = saving you 100$

Of course I bought the system, but no way in hell was it worth the money.