Is The Wii a fad

Posted by clearlytheman

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6172548.html

According to one man it is. It will be interesting to see if his predictions come true I have also wondered how much can they do with the Wii down the road. I am also intruiged that he selects PS3 as the winner of next gen winner.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Gamespot opinions are null and void. THPS3 is the best game of all time? WarioWare's a better game than Twilight Princess? Tenchu Z's a piece of ****?

But anyway, the Wii probably won't have the staying power of the 360 or the PS3, but we'll see. I hate to speculate.

Posted by clearlytheman

Quoting The X: Gamespot opinions are null and void. .

It isn't Gamespots opinion it is an Exec at Sega.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

I don't think its popularity will die out too quickly, but I do think Nintendo will have to be pretty quick out of the gate next gen, with a system that's a lot more technically impressive, compartively speaking, than the Wii is. They need to at least match Microsoft's graphical capabilities for their next system. If Nintendo can accomplish that and offer backwards-compatibility with Wii titles, they'll be able to keep the motion-control rolling.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Sega's last console bombed. They really aren't in a position to comment on the viability of other consoles. Also, the Wii has a massive user base already. Quickly becoming a cash cow, the Wii's success will probably lead to bigger budget games and ideas.

Posted by O.T.L

the Wii is amazing. if it constantly keeps up with cool games it will do very well. the Wii came out Nov. stores over here are still sold out on Wii's
yet they have plenty of ps3 and 360's i havent been able to get my hands on a Wii , except theres this lady that had one at a flea market but she's sold out also. she gives them at a bargain $ 225 but it has no game.
Wii rocks Nintendo all the way !

Posted by nich

Honestly, yes. Based solely on the games I've seen released so far, the success will not last. There just aren't enough serious, quality games available right now. I believe there could be, but it seems to me that third party developers are not putting in the effort, and are instead are trying to cash in on the craze.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=nich;603499]Honestly, yes. Based solely on the games I've seen released so far, the success will not last. There just aren't enough serious, quality games available right now. I believe there could be, but it seems to me that third party developers are not putting in the effort, and are instead are trying to cash in on the craze.

It's been said before - the reason for ****ty third party titles is mainly this. Remember when the Wii controller was unveiled? When the console's name was published? Pretty much unanimous 'LOL FAILURE' from everyone. None of the big 3rd parties invested much time into making good Wii titles pre-launch. Now that the console is making megabucks, developers rush out sloppy ports of PS2 games. Give it a year or so, and the real creative gems from other developers will start to arrive. No More Heroes, anyone?

Posted by Zeta

People said the DS was a fad. How wrong they were.

Posted by clearlytheman

I think before too long 90% of the games will be developed solely by Nintendo similar to the gamecube the Wii will remain successful as long as the 360 and PS3 have higher price points because it boils down to cost for the consumer more that a revolutionary idea.

Posted by Axis

So far I haven't been that impressed with the Wii. It's got 2 great games right now but other than that there isn't much. Over the next couple of months though it will pick up speed. I'm waiting to pick up Resident Evil 4 and Manhunt 2, they both sound awesome.

But basically I agree with what The X has said so far.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Tenchu Z's a piece of ****?

4.9 is the new 8.8. There's no way Tenchu is even approaching a 4.

Anywho, I think currently, the Wii is certainly a fad. There's really no solid line-up of games and what games there are are pretty lack-luster. But like the X said, give it some time and it'll most likely be a great purchase. If Nintendo can get it right and the third-parties start realising this machine isn't made for PSP ports, we could potentially have another DS.

Posted by Speedfreak

Sega can make comments when they stop being the s[COLOR=lightgreen]h[/COLOR]ittest developer in the world.

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;604250]There's really no solid line-up of games and what games there are are pretty lack-luster.

I was gonna answer this with sarcasm and list a whole bunch of games, but fuck it, it should be obvious, you're just mental.

Posted by O.T.L

LOL- oswaldothelegend -agree's

i'd give you pts but it i gotta spread around some more.( speedfreak )

Posted by Bebop

Quoting The X: Gamespot opinions are null and void. THPS3 is the best game of all time? WarioWare's a better game than Twilight Princess? Tenchu Z's a piece of ****?

But anyway, the Wii probably won't have the staying power of the 360 or the PS3, but we'll see. I hate to speculate.

Spoiler: Warioware is actually better than TP

Posted by Speedfreak

Smeg off, no it isn't.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Bebop;604412]Spoiler: Warioware is actually better than TP

If you think Smooth Moves was a better game than Twilight Princess, you really do have no idea what you're talking about.

I played Smooth Moves for one weekend, and I've never felt the urge to replay it. Twilight Princess, however, was a highly memorable game that I'd love to revisit.

Posted by Bebop

TP is a step backward for the series and a weak Zelda installment. It's a disappointment and stupidly easy.

WarioWare has multiplayer.

Posted by Speedfreak

It's irritating how well he defended that point (on msn). Zelda certainly didn't live up to it's hype, mostly because the hype portrayed the game as something pretty much entirely different. I still think it's a worthy installment to the franchise.

Posted by Bebop

Is that supposed to be sarcastic or something?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Twilight Princess would have been regarded much more highly if it hadn't been hyped as the second coming of Jesus. I personally found the game to be awesome fun, that fizzled out towards the end. WarioWare was great fun for a day, but after I'd beaten all the stages, there was little incentive to do more.

Anyway, back on topic: Wii isn't a fad, lulz.

Posted by Pit

Quoting The X: Twilight Princess would have been regarded much more highly if it hadn't been hyped as the second coming of Jesus. I personally found the game to be awesome fun, that fizzled out towards the end. WarioWare was great fun for a day, but after I'd beaten all the stages, there was little incentive to do more.

Anyway, back on topic: Wii isn't a fad, lulz.

Just because Wario Ware got a better score than Twilight Princess doesn't mean it's a better game.

Ever heard of genres and rating things on the basis of originality?

Not saying your opinion is null or whatever, but you have to take all that **** into account. Twilight Princess was done before in Oot, MM, and Windwaker, on a larger, prettier scale. There were new dungeons, new elements, wolf control, and yeah, but you know how people are now a days. Ratings are no longer just based on the game itself, it has to go through a series of comparisons to knock down it's score.

I mean, yeah we all know it's Zelda and how it's going to play, but there's the ******* that states the obvious "this is just another zelda installment, minus 10 points lol".

Smooth Moves was easily the worst installment in the Warioware series. TP might not be the best of the Zelda series, but it's sure as hell better than a forgettable first-gen Wii mini-game.

Posted by Bebop

TP was easily one of the worst installment of the Zelda series. Not including CD-i games of course.

EDIT: Forgot about Links Adventure and Link to the Past

Posted by Ant

OPINIONS! EVERYONE HAS THEM.

ANYWAYS, this year won't be able to prove anything as far as if the Wii is a fad or not. Come next year though, if we are still seeing the same crap and attitude from the companies that we are seeing now regarding the casual market, THEN the Wii is in for what could be a huge downfall. Hell, with the graphics being at the level they are at now they definitly won't have the staying power that the PS3 will have. But, then again, who's to say that the next installments from Microsoft and Sony aren't going to follow suit and also tap the casual markets with a new console in the works that would follow the same design as the Wii?

To give a definitive answer to the question, the best I could say is "I don't know, ask me next year."

Quoted post: But, then again, who's to say that the next installments from Microsoft and Sony aren't going to follow suit and also tap the casual markets with a new console in the works that would follow the same design as the Wii?

Casual games are a given on any console at this point. They're easy to make, quick to release, and they generate cash and that cash goes into making the big-budget titles. So they're definitely tapping into that market, but I doubt they'll go to the same lengths that Nintendo is come next generation.

At least I hope not :(

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Bebop;605088]TP was easily one of the worst installment of the Zelda series. Not including CD-i games of course.

EDIT: Forgot about Links Adventure and Link to the Past
At this point I'm going to assume you're trolling.

Posted by Bebop

Then youre an idiot.

Posted by Ant

I'm hoping he'll become an hero.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I'm already dead inside.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Ant: I'm hoping he'll become an hero.

lololol points for originality.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Ant;605091]But, then again, who's to say that the next installments from Microsoft and Sony aren't going to follow suit and also tap the casual markets with a new console in the works that would follow the same design as the Wii?

No one, but who's to say they'll meet the same success as the Wii? Why would anyone who isn't interested in traditional games pick an expensive system with a complicated controller over a cheap system with a controller they can actually use?

Posted by Zeta

[quote]EDIT: Forgot about Links Adventure and Link to the Past

lol what?

Posted by Fate

Someone already said before that we can't really know if it's a fad right now.

I hope Nintendo develops a merger of the Nunchuck and remote of the Wii. Playing Super Paper Mario is soooo uncomfortable.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Zeta: lol what?

Well see originally I said TP was THE worst Zelda game. Then I rememberd Links Adventure and A Link to the Past so I editted my post to call TP ONE of the worst Zelda titles. :3

Oh, okay. So you just don't like Zelda games? I see now.

Posted by Bebop

I'm sorry, is Links Adventure regarded as the cream of the Zelda franchise?

Wait, is LttP? Yes? Okay, so you hate Zelda games. Cool.

Posted by Bebop

Link to the Past is ragarded as the best Zelda title? Christ I knew you were crazy but I didnt know you were sick!

What? You hate Zelda? See, now I can finally put all your posts in perspective. You just hate games. That's cool.

Posted by Zeta

How the hell could someone not like LttP?

Posted by Bebop

Ssh Vamp, adults talking. Go back to Ninja Gaiden

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Zeta: How the hell could someone not like LttP?

Who said they dont like LttP?

Posted by Random

Quoting clearlytheman: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6172548.html

According to one man it is. It will be interesting to see if his predictions come true I have also wondered how much can they do with the Wii down the road. I am also intruiged that he selects PS3 as the winner of next gen winner.

I personally its a dying fad. At first I enjoyed the idea behind the Wii and grew to like it. But after a short while I realized it was an inferior machine with zero games I enjoyed. Everyone I knew who purchased a Wii has already sold it or traded it in for something different. I now know no one with a Wii. They are starting to stock up in stores with less demand, and sales are slowing down. Its only a matter of time til people realize its not worth all the hype that its gotten. Its still a decent machine and i'm sure great games will come out for it in due time, but for now, it has nothing to interest me or most people that I know who've played them.

Posted by clearlytheman

I see lots on a local website in my hometown of people wanting to trade for a 360. It will no doubt have great games but not on the same level as 360 or PS3

Posted by TendoAddict

The wii has sold over 8 million with a crazy small amount of actual system selling games. It STILL shows crazy high sales despite its minimal game library. It has some fad power, but the Wii will show its self as an actual system when it gets some more hard hitting games. A lot of people saw the wii and had to get it without actually seeing if it was worth it to them at that time.

Quoted post: hey are starting to stock up in stores with less demand, and sales are slowing down.

I can sure as hell tell you that sale's are far from slowing. The Stock in stores depends where you are. I still hear groups of people are still looking for one in NA. In other counrty's its like launch all over again were finding one in a store is a second job.

Posted by clearlytheman

price price price that is truly what sells the wii bottom line it is over 200.00 cheaper than any other next gen system. Yes it may have some decent games but it won't appeal to as many people as the other 2 systems.

Posted by maian

I don't think the Wii is a fad at all. In my eyes, it's going the exact same way as the DS. The DS took a good year before good games actually started coming out, and one or two good games would come out here and there. Look at it now. I can see the same for the Wii. Besides, it hasn't been able to be in stores, or even catalogs for more than a day here since November. One could say that's the nature of a fad, but the PS3 doesn't have many good games either, and it's not even selling nearly as well. :cookie:

The Wii, although it might not combat PS3 and XB360 in the future, will still have much more success than the Cube. It's hard to compare it to the other systems as it is already.

Posted by Random

Yeah theres no doubt in my mind it'll do better than the cube. Hell it already has half the sales the Gamecube had for petes sake.

Posted by Bebop

Wasnt the DS called a fad lol

As soon as Wii gets into the swing of things like DS then it will a very successful console.

Posted by VirtualRealityZone

why don't systems nowadays have a decent line up of launch titles?

Posted by Bebop

Good games take a long time to make and developers normally focus on up coming titles rather than quickly making launch ones. Thats the main reason.

Quoted post: Wasnt the DS called a fad lol

Don't ever recall it being a fad. Most people just doomed it to failure and called it ugly.

Quoted post: why don't systems nowadays have a decent line up of launch titles?

This isn't a new phenomena.

Posted by Pit

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Don't ever recall it being a fad. Most people just doomed it to failure and called it ugly.

This isn't a new phenomena.

Yeah, what Vamp said. Nintendo had a good lineup for SNES and N64. Gamecube had smash bros melee, but soon was doomed with months of deadness as people awaited Zelda, Metroid and Mario.

Then ****ing DS launched with Mario 64 DS, only good game, which i played already, and then was dead for like, 8000 years. Wii is doing the same ****ing ****.

Posted by Dexter

It seems to me that the 360 had just as much dead time as the Wii is having. Really, 360 had one good launch game, which was Call of Duty 2 (Wii had Zelda), and then Oblivion came out later (Super Paper Mario for Wii), and that was really it until Gears of War came around. It seems like the Wii is roughly going down the same path as the 360 when it comes tp the release of decent, meaningful games.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Quoting Dexter: It seems like the Wii is roughly going down the same path as the 360 when it comes tp the release of decent, meaningful games.

And in the meantime, the slew of shallow bits of fluff titles are what are selling the system to millions of consumers, ensuring that developers want to make those decent, meaningful games for the Wii.

Quoted post: Gamecube had smash bros melee,

Was Smash a launch title? I remember it coming out a couple months later.

Quoted post: and that was really it until Gears of War came around.

Dead Rising, Splinter Cell, CoD3, etc.

Posted by clearlytheman

http://wii.ign.com/articles/797/797281p1.html

Sega has now clarified their stance.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Fate;605521][COLOR=skyblue]Someone already said before that we can't really know if it's a fad right now.

I hope Nintendo develops a merger of the Nunchuck and remote of the Wii. Playing Super Paper Mario is soooo uncomfortable.[/COLOR]

BAM! The nunchuck/Wii remote connecting cable.

Posted by Pit

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Was Smash a launch title? I remember it coming out a couple months later.

Dead Rising, Splinter Cell, CoD3, etc.

wasn't launch, but it came out pretty fast after launch

Posted by Dexter

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Dead Rising, Splinter Cell, CoD3, etc.

That's it right there. Didn't all those games come out around the same time, at the end of the year? It looks like the Wii is going to do the exact, releasing about 4 great games before the year is up. Metroid, Galaxy, Super Smash, etc. The path seems incredibly similar to me.