Stale Game Market

Posted by wiz64uk

Considering the DS has been out since November, does anyone think the market has gone Stale? I have every game I want on the system bar Yoshi Touch and Go and once that is bought I can see nothing on the short term horizon that looks worthy of purchase. The PSP already has a load more "must have" titles and has only been on the English Language market for two days. Have Nintendo got this badly wrong?

That said, I am enjoying Zoo Keeper, Wario World, and Feel the Magic very much.

Posted by Shade

Really? You don't even have the most "must have" game on the DS roster. And I can only think of a few for PSP that are even worth buying. If you look on the horizon, you'll see that Metroid comes out next month. Also, a lot of awesome games are coming out in September-November. Such as Animal Crossing, Advanced Wars DS, Mario Kart, etc.

Also, next year, I'm expecting for Final Fantasy III to be released for it, as well as the new Pokemon games, and Legend of Mana. Those are only a few of them.

Posted by Pit

Metroid doesn't come out next month silly :) What he means is that the only games worth getting on the DS are Mario 64 DS (which he probably has, he just said he wasn't enjoying it as much as the ones he listed), Wario Ware Inc, and Yoshi's Touch and Go. The PSP just launched and it has around twice as many titles with more than half of them having a rating higher than *7.0*. I mean, yeah, some games are gonna come out, but you can't release a system and have a descent game come out every 3 or 4 months.

Posted by Bebop

The best DS games wont be out for a while and it seems the steam train that is the DS has begun climbing uphill. With that said it will eventually reach the top where its nothing more than smooth sailing and a scenic route.

Posted by Pit

Quoting Bebop: The best DS games wont be out for a while and it seems the steam train that is the DS has begun climbing uphill. With that said it will eventually reach the top where its nothing more than smooth sailing and a scenic route.

Yeah, I'd say by the end of this summer and once the DS has the online set up, games like Animal Crossing, Metroid Prime Hunters, Castlevania, Mario Kart, and other games that should be out by then will just flow out smoothly, and from there on, I bet you the games would just be coming out rapidly.

Posted by Shade

Quoting Pit: Metroid doesn't come out next month silly :) What he means is that the only games worth getting on the DS are Mario 64 DS (which he probably has, he just said he wasn't enjoying it as much as the ones he listed), Wario Ware Inc, and Yoshi's Touch and Go. The PSP just launched and it has around twice as many titles with more than half of them having a rating higher than *7.0*. I mean, yeah, some games are gonna come out, but you can't release a system and have a descent game come out every 3 or 4 months.

It's almost April and Metroid comes out in May silly. :)

What I'm saying is that starting around September-November, we'll start to see an increase in quality DS games.

Posted by wiz64uk

Yes I do have Mario 64 DS and being a fan of the N64 version, I find the DS controls a little too floaty to fully enjoy the DS version. I also have Polarium, Sprung, Ridger Racer DS & Tiger Woods. As a DS owner I am worried about the future of the handheld in comparison to the PSP. With the exception of Metroid, most of the big releases are late summer or early Autumn.

Posted by Pit

Quoting Shade: It's almost April and Metroid comes out in May silly. :)

What I'm saying is that starting around September-November, we'll start to see an increase in quality DS games.

Try August ;) And even then I don't think it's gonna come out in August... just doesn't seem right :cool:.

Posted by Shade

[color=darkorange]*Checks EBGames and Gamestop* August 22.....

I need go into a closet, be right back.

GOD DAMMIT MOTHER FUCKER SON OF A BITCH! I FUCKING KILLZ J00 NINTENDO![/COLOR]

Posted by Darkbackward

Why is this pattern of "I see the DS lineup increasing in strength next month" thing taking place. That is a horrendous waste of time, you are clearly backing into a corner because people are teling you that the DS doesn't have games. Well the fact is, it does, and good games. I have 2 that I can't get my hands off of right now, and I don't have to defend myself for anything. I don't see any smooth sailling or uber quality titles, I just see nintendo fanboys searching for excuses when the only excuse they have is not playing their DS.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Darkbackward: Why is this pattern of "I see the DS lineup increasing in strength next month" thing taking place. That is a horrendous waste of time, you are clearly backing into a corner because people are teling you that the DS doesn't have games. Well the fact is, it does, and good games. I have 2 that I can't get my hands off of right now, and I don't have to defend myself for anything. I don't see any smooth sailling or uber quality titles, I just see nintendo fanboys searching for excuses when the only excuse they have is not playing their DS.

We're hardly fanboys if we admititng a problem with the lack of games out at the moment, you phucking retard.

I recently watched the GDC keynote from nitnendo at Gamespot.
Nintendogs seems to be haping up nicely and a definite game for me although Id prefer a "Puss Times".
Elecktroplankton has me complety baffled and unfortunelty the presenters miker was not pikced up by the video recorders. Although what he demonstrated seems awsome. I have some friends who recreate the "MAOAM! commercial on exisitng music equipment (they study music at college) and I can see them enjoying this 'game'.

Posted by Speedfreak

is is pretty dry right now, I'm going to go with what Tycho of Penny Arcade said. Something along the lines of "it's going to be totally hot when it comes back from summer vacation". I like the metaphor there. Anyway, that's when DS goes online and all the big titles start coming out. Shame DS was so rushed, really.

Posted by Shade

I wouldn't say it was rushed, but all of the awesome games aren't being rushed so that they won't upset the horde of people with the release date on their calendar.

Nice metaphor, by the way. :)

Posted by Speedfreak

Yeah, I thought it was pretty good too.

Posted by Darkbackward

Quoting Bebop: We're hardly fanboys if we admititng a problem with the lack of games out at the moment, you phucking retard.

You are the epitome of a fanboy, FretarD.

I don't know how something like the DS could be stale, atari anniversary is worth a billion dollars by itself, how many people out there didn't buy zoo keepr?

I don't care about big name titles, look at yoshi's touch and go, that sucks. But look at Zoo Keeper, a much better game. When all the Sonics and Marios come out and supposedly uplift the DS it will be a farce. What we need is good games, and good games we already have. Sure everyone will buy a DS for mario bros., but why? Because of mario, and mario alone. I don't need titles that make everyone happy (for the sales of the DS, not the quality), or make the press happy. I can have thousands of hours with my DS at my side and I couldn't care less about castlevania.

I think people need to stop talking about how many bad games their are, and start buying the good ones already made. If someone tells me they've legitimately completed or significantly played every DS title out there, then we can talk about the stale game market.

Posted by Darth Vader

The games are good, nuff said.

Also, if the game market is stale, then it wouldn't taste very good not would it?

Posted by Speedfreak

Zoo Keeper is free on MSN. That's why I didn't buy it. I think the market is stale for me because there's no more games I give a shit about.

Posted by Osic

the market is stale because its March/April. It happens every year. All the games have been rushed out for Christmas and now we all waiting for E3. 2nd half of the year always has a lot more games comming out.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

I have Polarium, Mario 64 and Wario Ware, and I'm thinking of getting Rayman and Project Rub - that's more launch titles than I've ever considered getting.

I've even wanted to get Pok

Posted by Speedfreak

Don't get Rayman, it sucks. The framerate is awful.

Posted by metroid man

Quoting Shade: Really? You don't even have the most "must have" game on the DS roster. And I can only think of a few for PSP that are even worth buying. If you look on the horizon, you'll see that Metroid comes out next month. Also, a lot of awesome games are coming out in September-November. Such as Animal Crossing, Advanced Wars DS, Mario Kart, etc.

Also, next year, I'm expecting for Final Fantasy III to be released for it, as well as the new Pokemon games, and Legend of Mana. Those are only a few of them.

I want to get metroid when it comes out.

Posted by Random

Not me.. Have you played the Demo of it? Please play it before you make that decision. The Controls and the screen is rediculous. Half of your screen you can't use for in game playing. You use it like a radar and the other half you do play with but it's a small tiny screen. And the controls are just gah.. and it's a rather dark game. I wouldn't purchase Metroid Hunters... but thats up to you. I'd just try the demo first to see if you like it.

Well, to each his own. I'd really like to defend Metroid Hunters here and say that you can't just take it on this one guy's opinion - play it!

Personally I find the controls better than any handheld FPS control I've seen. The only one that came close to it was Serious Sam on GBA, and it's still way out of it's league. The touch screen is used to great effect, and it's no problem to lift up your stylus to check out a map - you're not going to be doing that in the middle of a melee, so you don't need to worry about taking your hands off the controls.

I absolutely love it - not so much as to get the full game, but that's my personal preference. Chances are though that if you have a DS, you've played First Hunt, so I guess this entire post is wasted... :p

Posted by Random

-_- I told them to try it. I didn't need a repeat on that but thanks anyways. You can't exactly play the full game since I do believe only the demo is out. Secondly it wasn't a very good game. The controls were rather horrid. You couldn't really look left or right. you just moved about. It's like Metroid Prime only without being able to look in all directions and on a small tiny insy bitsy screen. But do try it.

I'm sorry, but I really can't agree. The combination of being able to strafe and turn at the same time won the control scheme over for me. Lifting the stylus up and dragging it again isn't ideal, butit's askin to lifting your mouse up to continue turning on a PC. Maybe even better, since there's less distance to travel.

There are enough control schemes on First Hunt to please everyone. Stop being so negative. :p

Posted by Darkbackward

I am definetly opposed to the stylus (for metroid), stick or thumb stylus. I just don't like it and I won't get used to it. I've played multiplayer and the training, I can't like it.

So, unfortunately, metroid will not be a purchase for me. I am, however, incredibly excited over the upcoming mario kart game. 8 people will be the ticket, no work will ever get done in school ever again.

Posted by Kopaka

There are many good games coming out in the future.

Posted by Random

I agree Darkbackward and if I could add to your rep again I would. I would rather enjoy playing Mario Kart for the DS. My friend is selling his DS for $75. I may grab it sometime down the road if he holds onto it but still wants to sell it.