Windows Media Player Screenshots

Posted by Skitzo Control

I'm trying to get a few screenshots from movies, but alas! whenever I take a screenshot from WMP and place it in MS Paint, the .bmp continues to move with the WMP movie. When I pause the video and save the Paint pictures, it becomes completely black. Help?

Posted by Roger Smith

Go to options, then go to the Player Tab. Make sure you have these options under Player Options.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v421/Roger_Smith0/WMP.jpg[/IMG]

Posted by Skitzo Control

Mine differs...

Posted by Trigger

That has nothing to do with it, you can't just take a screenshot of a movie or video file because it uses overlays. Install a program that can record your desktop and you can extract the shots out of that - try FRAPS or something similar.

Posted by Roger Smith

Quoting Trigger: That has nothing to do with it, you can't just take a screenshot of a movie or video file because it uses overlays. Install a program that can record your desktop and you can extract the shots out of that - try FRAPS or something similar.

The hell you can't. You don't need to download anything. I didn't download anything, I just changed my options though I can't remember which ones I did change.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Roger Smith: The hell you can't. You don't need to download anything. I didn't download anything, I just changed my options though I can't remember which ones I did change.

Eh, sorry but Trigger is right. If you did change options, then it must have been something different than what you showed us because I have those exact same options and it didn't work.

Care to show us an example screenshot of a movie Roger?

Posted by Roger Smith

Well, I did say I couldn't remember fully how I did it so she probably is right lol. Anyway, as you can see in this pic the video is still playing and I screenshot it.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v421/Roger_Smith0/HEADSHOT.jpg[/IMG]

Posted by Proto Man

Well no wonder! You have Photoshop. That's probably it right there. See, he was trying to use MS Paint. I bet if you try using MS Paint it wouldn't work.

Posted by Roger Smith

No, Photoshop has nothing to do with it. PS and MSPaint did the same thing. I'll even post what I saved in MSPaint. It's all in the settings you make for WMP.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v421/Roger_Smith0/BOOM.jpg[/IMG]

Posted by Tiptoegecko

VLC Media PLayer takes perfect snapshops, just use that?

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Tiptoegecko: VLC Media PLayer takes perfect snapshops, just use that?

Good idea.

Roger, I sure wish you would remember those settings -_-'

Posted by Skitzo Control

You know, Roger, you could just take a screenshot of all your options/stats to help us all out. Perhaps it's a plug-in you downloaded?

Posted by Trigger

As I mentioned earlier, you cannot take screen shots of videos that are using overlays - it's simply not possible. You may be able to take a screen shot of a video by attempting to disable overlays, but this is entirely up to user preference. In Windows Media Player, go to Tools and then choose Options and select the Performance tab; at the bottom you should see a button that says Advanced. Click that button and uncheck the option to use overlays and see how you go with that.