Office 2003

Posted by loony636

I know this is probably going to get deleted and I am going to get banned but I'll post it anyway. My sister has just got Office 2003 installed on her school computer by her school. They gave us the disks. In the EULA (yes I did read it) it says that we can install it on one other computer. We tried it, and it said we had already installed it on too many computers (ie, it wouldn't authenticate). We called Microsoft and they said they couldn't do anything. We phoned the school and they assured us that they hadn't installed it on any other computers. We then re-phoned Microsoft and they said that the school must be lying, the school said that Microsoft must be lying. What I'm asking is, is there anyway to get Office 2003 to think it has been authenticated without actually authenticating it? My dad doesn't want to go and buy another copy of it just because we can't get this one to work...

Posted by Trigger

Quoting loony636: I know this is probably going to get deleted and I am going to get banned but I'll post it anyway. My sister has just got Office 2003 installed on her school computer by her school. They gave us the disks. In the EULA (yes I did read it) it says that we can install it on one other computer. We tried it, and it said we had already installed it on too many computers (ie, it wouldn't authenticate). We called Microsoft and they said they couldn't do anything. We phoned the school and they assured us that they hadn't installed it on any other computers. We then re-phoned Microsoft and they said that the school must be lying, the school said that Microsoft must be lying. What I'm asking is, is there anyway to get Office 2003 to think it has been authenticated without actually authenticating it? My dad doesn't want to go and buy another copy of it just because we can't get this one to work...

Has the school provided Office 2003 to other students also? If the licence key they provided you does not cover more than one computer installation, then there's nothing you can do about it (legally). Ask the school if they purchased a licence to cover only one computer or a licence to cover many computers. If the licence relates to the latter, ask them how many computers the licence is valid for and ask if you're the only person to also receive this program from them.

Posted by loony636

The school installed Office 2003 on EVERY computer in the school. And it was just a normal lisence, not a group licence. So I should, legally, be allowed to install it on several computers. If I can't do anything about it legally, can anyone suggest another cource of action?

Posted by Trigger

[quote=loony636]The school installed Office 2003 on EVERY computer in the school. And it was just a normal lisence...
That would be illegal, as I am almost certain they wouldn't be able to afford to purchase the program for each single computer. It'd be silly to walk up to a counter with 345 boxes of Office 2003, when you can purchase a licence that covers more than one computer with the one program instead. Not to mention that it's cheaper.

Posted by loony636

****. Looks like I'm back to square one then.

Posted by Draxamus

Bittorrent, usenet, various file sharing programs!

Posted by sniper

openoffice.org

Posted by loony636

Quoting Draxamus: Bittorrent, usenet, various file sharing programs!

One word. No.

Quoting sniper: openoffice.org

Seems a good enough program, but I was looking for a solution to my problem, not an alternative. Still, I might give it a try.

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Draxamus: Bittorrent, usenet, various file sharing programs!

Whats wrong about that? you do it all the time with other programs.

Posted by loony636

Quoting higbvuyb: Whats wrong about that? you do it all the time with other programs.

Really...How do you know that?

I don't want to download a new version of Office 2003, I was wondering if there was a way to trick the Authentication. It seems that there isn't one.

Posted by gamma_sponge

One option is Star Office from Sun Microsystems, it