Drive ins

Posted by Bebop

Anyone been to one? What are they like? Drive in cinemas dont exist in the UK and I've always wanted to go to one. They seem like a unique experience.:canada2:

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I went to one in Portugal. Didn't enjoy it. Might have been because it was a ****ty film, but I had a terrible view and it felt weird being confined to the car.

Posted by Dexter

I used to go to them all the time while I lived in Montana. They would usually play 2 films back to back and much of the time it ended up being a more social experience than an actual movie experience. I would usually miss out on a lot of the film and would have to see it again when released. Still, it was a lot of fun going with friends and just having a *** time. I remember when we saw ***zilla. Awful film, but there was a huge lightning storm and it just made the film seem so much cooler. I didn't realize how bad the film was until I saw it again later on DVD. The drive-in would alter your perception of a film and make you think it's good when it’s actually horrible. We always took the truck and would all fill the back with blankets and pillows and squeeze ourselves in there. Good times. I believe the last films I saw there was a back to back showing of Bad Boys 2 and Shrek 2. Also, this was back when I lived in Montana. I don't believe we have one around us here in Oregon. Wish we did.

Posted by PunkRock Sonic

[QUOTE=Dexter;591524]I used to go to them all the time while I lived in Montana. They would usually play 2 films back to back and much of the time it ended up being a more social experience than an actual movie experience. I would usually miss out on a lot of the film and would have to see it again when released. Still, it was a lot of fun going with friends and just having a *** time. I remember when we saw ***zilla. Awful film, but there was a huge lightning storm and it just made the film seem so much cooler. I didn't realize how bad the film was until I saw it again later on DVD. The drive-in would alter your perception of a film and make you think it's good when it

Posted by WackoHater2

Yes, I've been to one before. The one near my house reopened a few years ago after being closed for many years. They play 2 movies back to back. It's pretty fun. I saw The Bourne Supremacy and Anchorman when I went. Cool experience.

Posted by Nihilus

There is one about 30 minutes from me. I actually just went not too long ago to see Spiderman 3, i forget what the second movie was, we didnt stay to see it whatever it was.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

You don't go to drive-ins to watch a movie, so if it's a movie you don't really care to see it's pretty awwight I guess.

Posted by Fate

I went to a drive-in to see Ghost and Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead. It sucked that we had to leave the windows open to hear the sound so the ****ing mosquitoes could eat me alive, but it was pretty neat once we got the spray out.

Posted by Tiptoegecko

I used to have a Drive-In 10 min away from me. Ahh, it was so awesome, but for some reason it went out of business and a United Artists Theatre poped up there 5 years after it shut down. It was a bummer, because Drive-Ins are freakin awesome

Quoted post: I went to a drive-in to see Ghost and Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead. It sucked that we had to leave the windows open to hear the sound so the ****ing mosquitoes could eat me alive, but it was pretty neat once we got the spray out.

You didn't get the speakers you can put in your car? Lame.

Posted by Fate

This was like in the early 90s. We had the speakers on a pole.

Oh yeah, those were the days.

Posted by Nihilus

At the one I go to, there is a designated AM radio station that you can tune into and listen to the movies so that you can sit in your car.

Posted by Dexter

lol. I saw Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead at the drive-in too. All I really remember now is 'the dishes are done'.

Posted by WackoHater2

[quote=Elric;591791]At the one I go to, there is a designated AM radio station that you can tune into and listen to the movies so that you can sit in your car.

Same with me. It's pretty nice. It allows for the windows to be up if there are a lot of bugs around and an air conditioner if it's hot.

Posted by Ant

Yeah, we used to have one in town. I remember going there a lot as a kid actually. Although I can safely say I don't remember a **** thing about any of the movies I saw there, but good times were had. It was taken down a long time ago though, and now there's some ****ty apartment complex there now.

I'd like to go to another one again someday.

Posted by Bebop

I never figured drive throughs as a movie experience because the view and sound was limited but itd still be nice to experience it. Are alot still in action in the US or have they begun to disappear?

They've begun to disappear. There's on around Niagara Falls for me, but not one in my city anymore, but I think even that one is closing down or already has.

Posted by nich

Not sure about the future, but it's definately still there right now. I drive by all the time.

As for the experience, it was ok. I prefer a theatre, more comfortable for some reason, probably less confining than a car. Not to mention I was but a boy last time I went, and it was way too late to enjoy a movie.

Quoted post: Not sure about the future, but it's definately still there right now. I drive by all the time.

Huh, does it get much activity? because from what I've seen it's not lookin' too good. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same for most drive-ins in North America.

Posted by nich

It probably isn't doing so well, I don't know anyone who's gone recently. It's kind of a shame to see something so iconic dying out, it kind of depresses me to see historic things dissappear. But like I said, I prefer a theatre, even one as ****ty as the seaway.

Oh lord, Seaway's only good because it sometimes get movies with limited-openings which St. Catharines doesn't get for some reason. But ******* does it suck, especially compared to the one in the Pen Centre.

Posted by Arcadios

No drive-ins in Islip or anywhere else in Long Island, I believe.
Only times I've actually seen one is tv or the actual movies.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Winnipeg closed it's drive in theatre two years ago. Shame, I used to go when I was young. Good times.