Helping Africa

Posted by KoH

http://www.spiegel.de/international/spiegel/0,1518,363663,00.html

Personally, I've thought that helping out Africa has been a bad decision for a long while now. Whenever I would try and bring it up, though, someone would call me inhumane for not wanting to help out "my fellow human beings." But alas, it's what I get for living in California.

Point of this post being: What do you think? After reading that interview with an actual "African Economics Expert," who was born in Africa and knows first-hand what the real situation is, what's your stance?

Should the West and Europe back off or continue helping?

Btw, my favorite quote is this:

"Why do we get these mountains of clothes? No one is freezing here."[COLOR=#000000][COLOR=#D35900][/COLOR][FONT=Arial][/FONT][/COLOR]

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

People are impatient. Change is gradual.

Things will eventually improve, but it has to come from the countries of Africa themselves. While the level of poverty is troubling, look back about 100 years ago. Many European countries had similar squalor and exploitive industries, but as the country evolved, changes were made. One problem, though - ****ing greedy dictators.

Posted by Iris

I think Africa could manage to get slightly more done by themselves. Forcing development isn't going to help the nation become more independent. I think some of the nations are destined to remain third world countries. The rest can probably work things out by themselves over time.

I think some pretty interesting points were made. Especially the ones about forced relations between countries. Without the aid of other continents, near countries would depend more on eachother and open up trade, spurring growth in multiple African nations.

Posted by S

Quoting Iris: I think Africa could manage to get slightly more done by themselves. Forcing development isn't going to help the nation become more independent. I think some of the nations are destined to remain third world countries. The rest can probably work things out by themselves over time.

I think some pretty interesting points were made. Especially the ones about forced relations between countries. Without the aid of other continents, near countries would depend more on eachother and open up trade, spurring growth in multiple African nations.

Depends on your definition of development, really. Development is a change made for the people that are requesting it, but that could be anyone and varies from person to person. A development made for one person could be negative development for another. Modern day politics equates modernization with development, but they're not strictly tied together. They're both completely independent terms with very little in common. Even more so, both of those are tied to Westernization, but I digress.

America has this odd complex that financial aid is a good thing, when in actuality, it ****s over the country in question. Maybe it's politicians and their use of semantics to ebb the flow of opinion, the use of the word aid is obviously misleading. The concept of aid-tying, requiring that 70-100% of money lent be spent in the country giving out the loan, is merely another pillar to support the Dependency Theory.

If Africa knew what was good for it, it would reject "financial aid" in the form of a loan (Which comprises a vast majority of "aid".), and only accept grants. Furthermore, they'd stay the hell away from the World Bank and its associates in crime. Last thing a weakened country needs is its currency devalued under the guise of "We know better than you do." The fact is, they only want to rape you. Or maybe harvest is a better word?

Posted by Arwon

Yeah, sorry. Not listening to libertarians on development issues... this is one of the stupider issues on which to try to apply "OMG WE NEED MORE MRAKETS."

[quote]In such a case, the Kenyans, for a change, would be forced to initiate trade relations with Uganda or Tanzania, and buy their food there. This type of trade is vital for Africa. It would force us to improve our own infrastructure, while making national borders -- drawn by the Europeans by the way -- more permeable. It would also force us to establish laws favoring market economy.

Yeah, no. Very much agree on the need for regional-level development, but that's not what happens on the ground, regardless of how much economic theory some random dude learned in America. Regardless of whether people are bringing aid in, it's still massively more profitable for African farmers, especially the large ones and the agribusinesses, to sell into the global grain market rather than local consumers It's a market whose prices are set in first-world financial centres, and in price-taking African countries, the market prices many individual Africans out of being able to feed themselves. THat's what a famine is -- it's not an absence of food, it's a problem of distribution.

What libertarian economics ignores is the massive power-differentials and information-differentials which make a well-functioning market virtually impossible in countries where many people exist in absolute poverty. Sure, a formal market is great for the wealthier sections of these countries, but left to itself, a market ignores those people at the bottom, just like in 19th century Europe.

Blaming the UN food program for the destruction of African agriculture is just perverse.

Fun fact: On average, the third world has much lower levels of tariffs and protection than the first world. If we're serious about free markets, we start by dropping protection in the first world, ending subsidies to American and European farmers, and open our borders to more immigration and working visas while we're at it, since borders and immigration restrictions are trade barriers too.

Finally: There ARE prosperous, well-governed countries in Africa. It's a surprisingly heterogenous continent. As f*cked as things are, afro-pessimism can get a bit extreme at times.

Posted by KoH

Didn't 19th century Europe grow into what it is today by using this method over time?

I'd say that its current state should be considered heaven compared to Africa today.

Of course, I could be wrong. :(

Posted by Oforia

Africa has always been the cesspool of the world. How many beneficial and innovative things have come out of Sub-Saharan Africa? You can pretty much count everything on your fingers. What is the point of trying to change something this hopeless, especially since it has been this way since the beginning of time.

You can help Africa all you want, but in the long haul, nothing is really going happen there.

Posted by Xenos

Actually, Charity, in some forms, damage the economy more than anything. An example I watched from a documentary in Cultural Anthropology would be a town in North Africa that specialized in selling clothes, when we donated the clothes, their business completely ****ed over. I think people would be more careful about analyzing the long term effects when they play a hand in a foreign community.

Posted by Arwon

Quoting KoH: Didn't 19th century Europe grow into what it is today by using this method over time?

I'd say that its current state should be considered heaven compared to Africa today.

Of course, I could be wrong. :(

Nah. Free market policies had very little to do with it, despite the capitalist mystique. Targetted protectionism and interventionist economic development policies playe a huge role, and those are the sort of things that make libertarians sad, and that are hard for countries to do now because OMG FREE TRADE is the big thing. [url=http://www.fpif.org/papers/03trade/index.html]This paper explains what I'm talking about pretty well[/url]

The other thing to remember is 19th century Europe didn't have an unassailably richer, better developed bunch of countries to try to compete with.

The comparison with 19th century Europe also creates an impression of the inevitability of development and higher cost of living, implies there's "some pain now for a lot of gain later" but this isn't true. A lot of cities todaymore closely resemble 19th century Dublin rather than London or Manchester--chronic underdevelopment, population growth, urbanisation and increased poverty without real economic growth and industrial development.

There's also the problem that merely pursuing economic growth, by itself often doesn't reach everyone because development depends on what kind of stuff is growing and what sections of society it accrues to. You can make a strong arguement that England, for example, during the industrial revolution was worse-off on most indicators than pre-industrial times, for most people. That's why you have to ask, what sort of growth and development is taking place... is it a bunch of new high-rises for the already well-off, or decent schools and malaria medication? There is a term, "maldevelopment" to describe a situation where GDP is actually rising but things are actually going backwards in terms of poverty and standard of living. Happens surpisingly often.

And all this says nothing of the environmental questions in play, I don't think I need to paint too detailed a picture of the environmental consequences of some types of development.

Sorry for the unnecessary detail, this is a big part of what I study at uni.

Editted to add: Xenos's point is well-taken, though. The wrong types of "help" can be disastrous. That's not just a problem with charity, though. It's a problem with pretty much all types of assistance. Someone drops a well in a village, it ends up ruining the water table for farmers. Someone makes a new high-yield grain crop, but in planting it, the irrigation and pesticides required lock farmers into relying on inputs purchased from overseas agribusinesses and ends up bankrupting half of them. It's an argument for smarter aid, not no aid.

Posted by KoH

You're more than likely right about the entire 'history' thing. Admittedly, I hated any and all history that did not directly affect me. However, the fact of the matter that struck me most about this interview and therefore caused me to post it here was that a native African said those things and made those points. Had it been some politician or 'economic analyst' from NYC I wouldn't have bothered.

Being able to know, first-hand, exactly what the situation is and come to such a conclusion to help solve problems such as this has to mean something a lot more than what someone in a foreign country could or would ever say.

Posted by Arwon

He raises some good points, particularly about the weird side-effects of charity clothes. Trade is certainly a necessary thing, and a couple of aspects of the world trade system really f*cks Africa--1st world protection and subsidies, and dumping of cheap produce in the developing world.

However, he's still quite clearly an American-trained libertarian economist with those particular biases and blindspots. His opinions aren't gospel, any more than anyone else's are, and I strongly disagree that "all aid is bad." Sounds too much like cut-and-paste libertarian "all welfare is bad" arguments.

Also uses that hoary old "Africa is poor because it's corrupt" thing, which strikes me as very weak. Aside from the fact that a country like Ghana does very well in international corruption rankings... are we expected to believe every government 40 countries have had in the last 40 years has been irredeemably corrupt?

Posted by Bebop

Helps Africa? Im sure they have all the aids they need :)

Posted by Tiptoegecko

Quoting Bebop: Helps Africa? Im sure they have all the aids they need :)

HAHAHA that was funny.

Posted by Shade

Not really. I was surprised somebody didn't make that joke earlier.

Yeah, I'm sick of helping Africa. The last few months of school we had charities doing assemblies with us almost every day, and it gets old ****ing fast. Yeah, I get it, they're dying over there, but me paying $20 for your ****ty bracelet isn't going to change anything. Leave me alone.

Posted by Tyler Durden

**** Africa. Ever watch those MSNBC specials with Chrsis Hansen?

Posted by Landon

Quoting Arwon:

Finally: There ARE prosperous, well-governed countries in Africa.

Excluding South Africa until about 1989 or so, not below the Sahara, there aren't.

Posted by Arwon

Uh, no. Tanzania, Ghana, Botswana and Namibia are all worlds apart from the Congo, for instance.

Posted by Landon

That sure would be a pertinent reply if it somehow related to what you said.

Of course, comparatively speaking, some sub-Saharan African nations are going to be better managed than others sub-Saharan African nations, however, to say that any one of them are "prosperous" or "well governed" is completely false.

You didn't say "some African nations are better than others". You said some African nations are prosperous and well governed, which is laughably incorrect, assuming 'proper management' and prosperity as a stalwart concept.

Compare any given sub-Saharan African nation to any given European, Asian, Latin American or North American nation and even the 'best' amongst them are all so far below the curve it borders on comedy.

Posted by Arwon

[quote]Finally: There ARE prosperous, well-governed countries in Africa. It's a surprisingly heterogenous continent. As f*cked as things are, afro-pessimism can get a bit extreme at times.

Try quoting me in context next time.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Landon;625359]That sure would be a pertinent reply if it somehow related to what you said.

Of course, comparatively speaking, some sub-Saharan African nations are going to be better managed than others sub-Saharan African nations, however, to say that any one of them are "prosperous" or "well governed" is completely false.

You didn't say "some African nations are better than others". You said some African nations are prosperous and well governed, which is laughably incorrect, assuming 'proper management' and prosperity as a stalwart concept.

Compare any given sub-Saharan African nation to any given European, Asian, Latin American or North American nation and even the 'best' amongst them are all so far below the curve it borders on comedy.

Well hi there South Africa! :D

It's up there with Italy and Australia in living standards and GDP.

Posted by Landon

Quoting The X: Well hi there South Africa! :D

It's up there with Italy and Australia in living standards and GDP.

Ever been there? I have.
SA is also the last remaining country in Sub-Saharan Africa that exhibits a substantial Caucasian presence and retains its systems of European style commerce that aren't based around carrying jugs of water on your head or herding animals (PS- It isn't black people running those systems)

So, yeah. South Africa is the exception to the rule, simply because South Africa isn't a system developed by Africans. SO technically, you can say "muuuh, what about South Africa" even though you would have to be completely retarded to not be able to distinguish what glaring variable separates South Africa from the rest of the continent.

One of the saddest aspects of South Africa has to be the result of "equality".
The red dot in the graph line represents the first year when Apartheid came to an end- when everyone was forced to believe in the total ****ing delusion of "equality".

[IMG]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y209/nintendoretro/How_ANC_Brought_Crime_to_South_A-5.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y209/nintendoretro/How_ANC_Brought_Crime_to_South_A-4.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y209/nintendoretro/How_ANC_Brought_Crime_to_South_A-3.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y209/nintendoretro/How_ANC_Brought_Crime_to_South_A-2.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y209/nintendoretro/How_ANC_Brought_Crime_to_South_A-1.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y209/nintendoretro/How_ANC_Brought_Crime_to_South_Afri.gif[/IMG]

And that's just the 'official' beginning of the end of apartheid.
If you want to see when ANC involvement reached the saturation point and the concept of a "black run South Africa" really came into play- when the "Progressive Party" started getting an appreciable portion of the white vote- start at 1979/1980 and examine the crime statistics from there.

Posted by Landon

Quoting Arwon: Try quoting me in context next time.

The quote I cited of yours wasn't reliant on some sort of peripheral "context" that gave it a deeper meaning. Watch how is works.

Here's you saying there are prosperous countries in Africa, in a declarative sentence that ends with a period:
[quote]Finally: There ARE prosperous, well-governed countries in Africa.

Now, here's you caveatting your *** off, saying "muhhh, well... uh... Botswana is more prosperous than Congo"

[quote]Uh, no. Tanzania, Ghana, Botswana and Namibia are all worlds apart from the Congo, for instance.

See those things?
It was you who typed them.

Posted by Arwon

It was a throwaway comment in a thread about development issues, against excessive afro-pessimism. But hey, if you wanna get on your whole "them durn darkies are inferior vermin" hobby horse and its "man Aparheid was AWESOME" companion then, hey, go nuts.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Hey Landon, do you have a graph showing how much the population has been increasing? Or of disease? Those both are big factors of crime considering population will have the same percentage with a larger # of people, and disease contributes to desperation. I'm no expert on this matter, but seeing those graphs gave me more questions than answers.

Posted by Landon

Quoting WillisGreeny: Hey Landon, do you have a graph showing how much the population has been increasing? Or of disease? Those both are big factors of crime considering population will have the same percentage with a larger # of people, and disease contributes to desperation. I'm no expert on this matter, but seeing those graphs gave me more questions than answers.

No, those things have essentially nothing to do with crime and exhibit precisely zero collinearity with the proven root causes of criminality. One thing the 'equality-rationalizers' are experts at is throwing up red herrings by freely associating negro criminality with complete sociological non sequiturs- then concluding them as the reason blacks commit crime at a grossly disproportionate rate.

Orange production was down in Florida, so obviously, that explains why Tyrone raped Sally....:rolleyes:

Ironically enough, South Africa exhibits a NEGATIVE population increase ( - .04 per year http://www.xist.org/earth/pop_growth.aspx ) - also known as a "population decrease" so there goes that theory.

Posted by Arwon

I bet seeing mixed-race couples on the street really burns Landon up.

Posted by Landon

Quoting Arwon: I bet seeing mixed-race couples on the street really burns Landon up.

Muuuh, yeah!
And I betz he livz in a trailur park and iz in da KKK and haz secks wit his sistur!

Posted by Arwon

Nah, you're a political racist, not a redneck. There's a big difference. You'd fit in at Stormfront better than a simple redneck.

So what *are* your views on desegregation and mixed marriage?

Posted by Landon

"Desegregation" is a grossly idealistic delusion, entirely contrary to what humans do naturally if you leave them alone. Your dreamer types love to force "desegregation" down everyones throats since their la-la land outlook on the world dictates we all live together, hold hands, sing songs and ignore reality as best we can. Sadly, human nature says otherwise (and has been saying so since the very beginning of time). No one is racist until it comes to buy a house. One thing all of your "equality" types have in common is a stark lack of practical, first hand experience with those whom they wish to purport as being "equal".

As far as "mixed marriages", I couldn't care less, although I'll never understand the allure Asian women seen to have with white guys. Must be the sideways vagina's.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Quoting Landon:
As far as "mixed marriages", I couldn't care less, although I'll never understand the allure Asian women seen to have with white guys. Must be the sideways vagina's.

[offtopic]
Here's just a guess:
It's the accent, the body, the mannerisms, and the hope they only know how to say "yes" in English that make asian women hot...

[/offtopic]

continue