kids drown while baby sitter is drunk

Posted by Electrical Hazard

So this couple hired this 19 year old girl to watch their kids and she was acting all tired and what not when she arrived.They they asked if she was alright to watch the kids and she said yes so they go out for the night and return the next day and find out that their kids drowned because the sitter knocked out and they went into a nearby pond.

So who is to blame
The girl for drinking when she is supposed to be watching the kids
Or the parents for allowing someone who is drunk to watch the kids.

Discuss

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Both. more so the sitter than the parents, but both. Not sure what there is to discuss.

Posted by Electrical Hazard

Yeah true that

But consider this

The sitter is being charged with involuntary manslaughter

The parents have no charges against them

Shouldn't they be charged with child endangerment?

Posted by Tyler Durden

Child Endangerment.. or Reckless Abandonment.. Neglect for the most part, these parents sound justifiably dumber than horseshit..

Posted by Arwon

I wasn't aware being drunk was dangerous now.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Arwon;589239]I wasn't aware being drunk was dangerous now.

y halo thar DUIs

Posted by Iris

I think the parents of the children would be more at fault depending on how obviously drunk the sitter was. It really doesn't say though. If a sitter came in a bit tired and with a headache, I would've thought she'd be capable enough to keep them safe. If the sitter was nearly falling over themself and was slurring words then the parents shouldn't have let them watch the kids.

Posted by NES Queen

Unless the parents knew the sitter was drunk or had been drinking, I don't think they're to blame. It's not like they were at a BBQ with the sitter and knocking back drinks with her all night so they knew she was drunk and not capable of watching them. Someone acting as though they were tired is not even remotely similar to someone acting beligerantly drunk.

Posted by Omni

Quoting Electrical Hazard: Yeah true that

But consider this

The sitter is being charged with involuntary manslaughter

The parents have no charges against them

Shouldn't they be charged with child endangerment?

I think that the parents should only be held responsible

If it was obvious that the sitter had been drinking

And she didn't just seem to be a little tired

But that the sitter is the most responsible

Because she obviously had too much to drink

Even if she didn't show it.

Posted by Xero

It all depends on how the babysitter looked. If it really was obvious that she was drunk, then I blame the parents for missing the obvious.

Seeing as you said she was knocked out, I guess she was drunk to a fairly noticeable level, so I'll say that the parents are more responsable.

Quoted post: Seeing as you said she was knocked out, I guess she was drunk to a fairly noticeable level, so I'll say that the parents are more responsable.

ten bux says she had someone else over there with her who supplied more booze. After all, the parents left for an entire night.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

What Vamp says - unless she got some sort of kick out of turning up drunk to babysit alone. Plus, she might have taken whatever alcohol not long before she arrived. Intoxication can take a while.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: ten bux says she had someone else over there with her who supplied more booze. After all, the parents left for an entire night.

We can suppose many things. Maybe she drank the alcohol the parents kept in the house.
Maybe she went out to buy some after the parents were gone.
Or what X said.

Posted by Iris

Is this some simple hypothetic situation or actual incident?

Posted by Fate

Quoting Omni: I think that the parents should only be held responsible

If it was obvious that the sitter had been drinking

And she didn't just seem to be a little tired

But that the sitter is the most responsible

Because she obviously had too much to drink

Even if she didn't show it.

It's not "obvious" the sitter had been drinking if you say she didn't show it. That kind of destroys it being obvious if she's not showing it. You say the parents should be the only ones held responsible, yet the sitter is most responsible. What? I think I missed something there along with the punctuation. I don't get the breaks.

I don't think any good parent would leave children to a drunk sitter. Saying she was tired doesn't mean the girl is incapable of watching children, it means she was tired, and that's what the parents saw and asked for the just-in-case. Like someone said before, she could have been drinking from something the parents had in the house, or she may have brought the alcohol in a purse or something.

There are facts missing here. Testimony. Witness statements. A link to the story. You can't blame someone unless you see the facts. Act like a juror, not like a judge.

Posted by Bebop

Well if they all agreed the sitter would look after the kid by law does that not mean the sitter became the guardian removing any fault from the parents?

In any case its the sitters fault if anything. If I agree with someone that they would look after something well, be it a child or whatever, and it is not it's not my fault.

Posted by Iris

I don't think sitters would be treated as day care workers. They're usually just neighbors or something, and there's no contract or anything that holds them responsible whenever the parents are gone.

Posted by Omni

Quoting Fate: It's not "obvious" the sitter had been drinking if you say she didn't show it.

I was saying that although she apparently wasn't showing it, the blame is mostly on her for knowing she had too much to drink. You seem to misinterpret almost everything I say. :(

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Iris: I don't think sitters would be treated as day care workers. They're usually just neighbors or something, and there's no contract or anything that holds them responsible whenever the parents are gone.

I meant doesnt it count for something if both agree if there was a verbal contract?

I still say they're both to blame, but, of course, the babysitter holds the vast majority of the blame. The parents though, they should've known whether they could fully trust the babysitter or not. Of course there's no 100% guarantee either way, but the parents could've found out whether she's been known to drink a lot or not be fully trustworthy from friends or family. So I'd say, at least, a tiny bit of blame rests of the parents as well, though no where near enough to be charged for it; I'd think having your child drown is punishment enough for any crime they could be charged with.

Posted by Bebop

Is this thing even real? Wheres an article link?

Posted by Skitzo Control

The parents should be charged with negligence, and the babysitter with manslaughter. As for moral guilt? They're all responsible.

Posted by Pit

This isn't even a real ****ing discussion.

You hire a babysitter to watch the kids. Therefore, she's ****ing liable. End of story.

If she goes there drunk saying she's tired, and it doesn't show, how is that the parents fault? They were probably like, "oh she's a little tired, but she'll handle it properly". I don't think it was "yeah she's **** drunk... let's take a chance."

She should be charged with manslaughter. It's her responsibility to watch the kids while the parents are away. That's what a ****ing BABYSITTER does. Because she didn't keep her end of the deal, the kids are now dead. Send her to ****ing death by black gorilla rape.

Posted by Crazy K

I think that it's the babysitters fault. She was the one responsible for the kids. The parents probably missed the fact that she was drunk. Maybe she was somewhat drunk, but not enough to really show it.

The parents probably feel guilty for letting her babysit, but I don't believe they should hold some of the blame unless they knew something was up with the babysitter. Otherwise I'm going with the babysitter getting manslaughter.

Posted by Tyler Durden

The parent's relinquished partial responsibility when they enlisted the sitter to tend to their children. Both parties are still at equal fault, yet I can't see how these people were even allowed to have kids in the first place having placed their children in the care of an intoxicated individual-theoretically speaking had the sitter actually been drunk upon arrival to job site. Drunk is drunk, when you've had enough you show signs **** it.

I know, I drink almost every moment I can't stand to sit there and idle. I'm a recovering alcoholic every morning thereafter. Lately, I'm attempting sobriety.

I say let the parents rot..

Posted by Bebop

Yod dont know who drunk the sitter was or how she hid it you you cant say "lol its so obvious she was drunk".

Posted by mis0

Quoting Bebop: Yod dont know who drunk the sitter was or how she hid it you you cant say "lol its so obvious she was drunk".

Exactly correct.

In addition, there very well was a degree of trust that this sitter held with the parents, and they likely assumed that she was being honest and was capable of watching the kids that night when she said she was "tired". It's also entirely possible that she got drunk after the parents went out, and honestly was just "tired" when she showed up for work.

The stupid sitter is at fault; it's not like the parents could have breathalyzed her or anything. They obviously trusted the sitter and the sitter turned out to be an irresponsible peice of ****.

Posted by Bebop

Its not like the parents left the kids with a random stranger or a known peadophile. They left her in what they considered to be safe, good care and the court will recognize this.

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Bebop: Its not like the parents left the kids with a random stranger or a known peadophile. They left her in what they considered to be safe, good care and the court will recognize this.

In fact, if the parents believed that the babysitter was trustworthy (especially after previous experiences), then they have no responsiblity for the deaths at all.

Posted by Bebop

Well thats settles it. Lets go get something to eat.

Posted by KoH

Pit speaks the most truth in this entire thread. I'd give him rep if I were as much of a rep slut as PHM.

Posted by Nihilus

Yeah,pit pretty much nailed it in the head.

Posted by Fort Shino

The sitter. She shouldn't of been drinking in the first place. If you're looking after kids, you should never be hammered.

The only thing that we can say about the parents is that they're idiots for hiring an idiot to watch their kids.

Posted by Bebop

THE KIDS WERE BLACK WHO CARES

Posted by elle

[quote=Fort Shino;592852]
The only thing that we can say about the parents is that they're idiots for hiring an idiot to watch their kids.

That's pretty much my point of view. I only believe in hiring family members or extremely close friends to watch your children, since they'd most likely care the most about the well-being of the child. Hire anyone else, and getting drunk at "work" may not necessarily register as incompetence and negligence as much as it would a family member.

Vampiro and Skitzo Control sum it up very well.

Posted by Bebop

[QUOTE=elle;604915]That's pretty much my point of view. I only believe in hiring family members or extremely close friends to watch your children, since they'd most likely care the most about the well-being of the child.

You mean like that close family friend who was caught molesting the 4 and 2 year old kids he was watching, and was imprisoned on his 16th birhtday? Lol close family friends are so safe!

Well then, it's a fact that kids just aren't safe these days anymore. If a neighbourhood kid doesn't get you killed, and a close relative doesn't molest you, than by *** your dad likely will.

Posted by Bebop

Theres only one way to make sure a kid has a safe life and thats to abort it before it gets a chance to be drowned or raped!

Wow... that might be the wisest thing I've ever read.

Posted by elle

[quote=Bebop;605064]You mean like that close family friend who was caught molesting the 4 and 2 year old kids he was watching, and was imprisoned on his 16th birhtday? Lol close family friends are so safe!

At least they have the most passion while killing/drowning/molesting. That's all that truly matters, isn't it?

There'll always be that worry of sacrificing your child's life for your own social life. As slight as a worry as that may be to some.

Posted by The Judge

Solution: Don't have kids. Saves resources, and there's no chance something like this can happen.

but who will carry on the name of the Katzman clan?!

Posted by elle

Don't worry, some desperate girl will eventually gag him, pull him into the bushes to rape him, momentarily look at his license to make mental note of his last name and later pop out another Katzman. Beautiful, really.

Funny thing is, that's like a dream come true for him.

Posted by The Judge

'Long as she's 14.

But what am I saying? I plan to have many kids. Thousands, actually. You see, I give birth in colonies. I am the Katzman Queen.

Does hive-mind exist within your colonies? Because hive-mind is ****ing cool as ****.

Posted by The Judge

*coldly nods* We are Katzman. We are one.

Posted by elle

A team of one, dedicating your li(fe)ves to fighting crime and the forces of evil.

Posted by The Judge

Oh ho ho you couldn't be more wrong. Don't let the powerpuff avatar fool you.

Posted by elle

It's not fooling me. I have a feeling you're truly a redhead at heart.

Judge is a ****ing sick mother****er.

Posted by Fate

Okay, I think the thread served its purpose.