Soul Calibur III coming... only for PS2?

Posted by boomstick

[quote]Soul Calibur III to exclusively skewer PS2s

Namco announces that the third installment in its fighting franchise will arrive on US Sony consoles later this year.
Hot on the heels of the release of Tekken 5, Namco Hometek has announced a new installment in its other flagship fighting franchise. As with previous games in the series, Soul Calibur III will feature a cast of colorful characters battling it out with a variety of weapons.

But unlike previous installments, the game will only be available for the PlayStation 2 when it arrives later this year. It will mark the first time the series has been exclusive to a single console since the first Soul Calibur was released for the Sega Dreamcast in 1999. It also marks the first time that a Soul Calibur game has been released for a console before it was released in arcades. In fact, no arcade version of Soul Calibur III has even been announced as of press time.

"Soul Calibur III expands upon the landmark achievements of the franchise and is undoubtedly one of the must-have games for PlayStation 2 owners in 2005," said Yoshi Niki, Namco's business unit director.

According to Namco, Soul Calibur III will sport several modes of gameplay. Besides the story-driven single-player "tales of souls" and traditional versus modes, the game will sport a history of the franchise in museum mode. The game will also sport three new modes: character creation, which will let players build their own characters; "chronicles of the sword," which will let players fight as said characters in "a real-time simulation"; and "soul arena," which Namco cryptically describes as featuring "unique and original battles."

Namco also disclosed that three new characters--Zasalamel, Tira, and Setsuka--and two returning characters--Samurai warrior Mitsurugi and female Ninja Taki--will appear in the game. Details on and the first pictures of these characters can be found in GameSpot's first look at Soul Calibur III.
Source: Gamespot

Well, I knew SCIII would be coming, but I expected it to be multiplatformed since it was successful on all formats, still good news for SC fans who own PS2.

Posted by CRAZY HANDS

Ah man! I only have a x box and a game cube. I was so excited....................................... this post broke my heart.

Posted by Bebop

I guess that whole conspiricy of developrs hating Nintendo has some truth in it. Especially when one Namco dont release SCIII on GC when SCII sold the best on the GC platform. Honestly, if the SCII PS2 version didnt sell the best why the hell make it PS2 exclusive?

Posted by Al Borland

For some reason they decided to make it exclusive to one system, and they chose the wrong one. I guess the logic behind this move is that since ps2 is the most popular system, making the game for ps2 would generate the most sales. I think the game would have done much better on gamecube though. Like Bebop said, SCII sold the best on Gamecube. People who own both Ps2 and Gamecube would definatly buy the game for Gamecube, because it's more fun to play as Link than Heihachi.

Posted by Arczu

And there are some people who find it fun to beat on people using Heihachi's bare hands Tekken style.

Soul Calibur 3 being featured on one system... hmm. Notice the amount of multi-platform games that have entered the gaming world. Maybe they didn't want it to be spread over like SC2 for some reason.

Posted by Porcupine

Sounds neato to me. I'm not bothered that it's PS2 exclusive, I own a PS2. And what's to say whether or not Link/Heihachi would feature?

Posted by Dr._31337

Because the gc controller sux!\

Seriously, playing the game on hte ps2 or Xbox pad is much easier than using the horrid gc one.

Posted by Last Fog

Yea, the GC controller is a disaster for fighting games. Absolutely horrible. But hey, that didn't keep SC2 from selling the most on GC. As long as fanboys get their little boy in tights, it's all good.

Quoting Porcupine: And what's to say whether or not Link/Heihachi would feature?
Heihachi was already the exclusive in the ps2 version. Xbox got Spawn. As for Link appearing in any ps2 game? Never. Capcom (thats the developer, right??) can't use Link without Nintendo's permission, and that'll never happen.

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

It appears in the article that it will be exclusive for a time, but there will still be a later relase for the other platforms.

No bigge though, I have all the systems so I'm not really effected by this.

Posted by Morag2

Quoting Velvet Nightmare: It appears in the article that it will be exclusive for a time, but there will still be a later relase for the other platforms.

I sure hope it comes out for the other ones... Nintendo always comes first for me and I can't afford an Xbox or a PS2... and considering I totally love Soul Calibur II... I really hope to get SC III.

Posted by mastachief

well....i dont think that the sc3 will only come out on the sony system, i think all 3 will get the game.....hopefully!

Posted by Lord of Spam

Well, then you obviously havent been following the news, since not only is it being released only on the ps2, but it will actually be released by sony in europe.

Furthermore, I've heard some... odd character changes. For instance, Rapheal is now a vampire, and Nightmare is an empty suit of (animated) armor. Sounds odd, but the screen shots ive seen are gorgeous.

Posted by Jak Pattinson

yeah, the screenshots look amzing. i really like that egyptian looking fellow with the egyptian looking scythe. soul calbur iii being released only on ps2 is a bummer. no more exclusive characters to look forward to. but it doesnt really matter as long as thay include more this time. i hope there will be some better covers this time too. nice.

Posted by Dark

Well, at least the razor bladed ring girl looks cool.

Posted by Aioros

Quoting Al Borland: For some reason they decided to make it exclusive to one system, and they chose the wrong one. I guess the logic behind this move is that since ps2 is the most popular system, making the game for ps2 would generate the most sales. I think the game would have done much better on gamecube though. Like Bebop said, SCII sold the best on Gamecube. People who own both Ps2 and Gamecube would definatly buy the game for Gamecube, because it's more fun to play as Link than Heihachi.

[COLOR=Yellow]I choose the PS2 version because i wanted good controls, it is a fighting game after all. Plus Heihachi kicks ***. He went bare-handed into a competition where all competitors must use a weapon. Link got in with his master sword, and then said in a high pitch voice:"Can i pleeeeease use my bow and arrows, and my boomerang, and my bombs too, pleeeeeeeeeease".[/COLOR]

Posted by Barrysun

yea, it does suck that Soul calibur 3 is only going to PS2 and I was just getting into it. *I got a gamecube* and Link was the ONLY character who had 4 costumes and uses extra weapons then his sword. (bow & arrows, Bombs, and his boomerang) and plus his histroy of weapons that only appeared on his adventures once are also fun to see again. *his bug catching net, Megatron hammer, Biggorron's sword & great fairy sword,)

Posted by Seres Aran

Okay, I have a lot to say. First of all, I'm what you would call a consolist (my brother's creation). I think it's stupid that Soul Caliber III is only going to be on PS2. It would be better if it was multi-platform. Plus, Gamecube is better than PS2. Anyways, the thing with Heihachi is dumb. If you wanna' use him, play Tekken. He was a poor choice for an extra. As for Spawn... I find it amusing, but awesome. And Link runs circles around Heihachi. They may have made Link a little stupid in SCII, but still, he's better than any Tekken character. Furthermore, PS2 controllers are worse for fighting games than Gamecube controllers. Um... what was that one uber cool, easy to handle fighting game that was on Gamecube? Oh yeah, it was SUPER SMASH BROTHERS MELEE. So don't try and make up some pathetic excuse about PS2 controllers being better for fighting than Gamecube controllers. PS2 controllers are too skinny anyways. I think Capcom's just trying to dumb or tick people off. Maybe they're under the impression that they'll get more money? Whether it's the people who support their decision, or Capcom themselves, somebody doesn't know what they're doing. Of anything, SC III would've been better of on Gamecube alone. Don't worry, you Xbox lovers, I mean that only if there couldn't be a compromise. Um... I think that's everything... I might hafta' come back later and school y'all some more...

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: PS2 controllers are worse for fighting games than Gamecube controllers. Um... what was that one uber cool, easy to handle fighting game that was on Gamecube? Oh yeah, it was SUPER SMASH BROTHERS MELEE. So don't try and make up some pathetic excuse about PS2 controllers being better for fighting than Gamecube controllers.

HAHAHAHA

SSBM was CREATED for the CG controller. Otherwise it's pretty ****ty when it comes to fighters.

Posted by Seres Aran

Quoting Vampiro: HAHAHAHA

SSBM was CREATED for the CG controller. Otherwise it's pretty ****ty when it comes to fighters.

Firstly, I'm supposing you were laughing at your mirror. Secondly, OF COURSE IT WAS CREATED FOR THE GC CONTROLLER. You're contradicting yourself. What you're saying is that if a fighting game is made for a GC controller, then it's good. Which is proving my point. All games aren't just slapped onto a system. They have to be preset to the controls. No fighting game is just set on a system without having the controls worked out. Meaning all fighting games are set for their controllers. Which mean that Gamecube fighting games don't have sucky controls. Which means, quite frankly, I WIN. ;)

Quoted post: Firstly, I'm supposing you were laughing at your mirror.

Wow... I don't hear such childish comebacks anymore. Not quite sure what to say.

Anyways, there's only one or two fighters out there that were designed with the GC in mind. Meaning they had moves that worked with what was given. Nothing overly complicated, everything was easy to reach. It was mapped out for the GC controller only.

However, every other fighter feels like it was made for the PS2 and Xbox. The controls are fine on those consoles, and decent on the GC. But, you tend to get some moves here and there where the button placement is complete ****. Normally where you would only have to hit X and A, you now have to hit B and X. Which makes it a little difficult.

That's what I meant. And I'm sure a few SCII players, for example, must know what I mean.

Posted by Seres Aran

Quoting Vampiro: Wow... I don't hear such childish comebacks anymore. Not quite sure what to say.

Anyways, there's only one or two fighters out there that were designed with the GC in mind. Meaning they had moves that worked with what was given. Nothing overly complicated, everything was easy to reach. It was mapped out for the GC controller only.

However, every other fighter feels like it was made for the PS2 and Xbox. The controls are fine on those consoles, and decent on the GC. But, you tend to get some moves here and there where the button placement is complete ****. Normally where you would only have to hit X and A, you now have to hit B and X. Which makes it a little difficult.

That's what I meant. And I'm sure a few SCII players, for example, must know what I mean.

*Thoughtfully* You do have a good point there. I dunno', I guess it's 'cause I favor the Gamecube over the others. It's just that every time I play I fighting game, I usually think it'll be better on GC. All "childish" insults (okay, I admit it was childish of me... so I apologize) aside, I think that the feeling of the fighting game comes from the person's preference. Like I said, I favor Gamecube, so I'm naturally going to be better at fighting games on Gamecube. Actually, when I say "favor", I mean the system you're most used to playing, or are the best at. This is actually the idea that explains my side of the argument. I believe that Soul Caliber III should be for all systems because the people playing those systems will be able to adapt to the controls.

I see what you're saying. And the GC controls are decent, like I said. Especially if you haven't played the game on any other console. But you'll notice the difference once you use another controller or go to the arcades.

Posted by pham1295

-----I think Capcom's just trying to dumb or tick people off. Maybe they're under the impression that they'll get more money? Whether it's the people who support their decision, or [COLOR="Red"]Capcom[/COLOR] themselves, somebody doesn't know what they're doing. Of anything, SC III would've been better of on Gamecube alone.------:eek: :eek:
HAHAHAHAHAHAAH
Dont even talk about things when u know nothing

Quoted post: I think Capcom's just trying to dumb or tick people off.

Yeah, that's what they're doing. Purposely ****ing people off. Brilliant.

Quoted post: Dont even talk about things when u know nothing

Take your own advice.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Ive said it again, Namco knows what they are doing better than you do. Tehy know their plans better than you do, becuase you have not seen them. All you knwo is idiotic banter on a message board, and what ever you have read on the intarweb. Namco has people who are PAID TENS, IF NOT HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS A YEAR to analyze whether it would be better to release on just one console, or one all three. Apparently, just one is better.

That being said, the controls on the 'cuve are absolutely horrid compared to the PS2/Xbox controllers. The 'box seems to have a better D pad, but but PS2 seems to have a beter right hand side. That being said, i prefer to use the PS2 version, but have nothing against the 'box.

Posted by Seres Aran

Quoting Vampiro: Yeah, that's what they're doing. Purposely ****ing people off. Brilliant.

Take your own advice.

<< Well, yeah. Maybe they don't like Nintendo? KIDDING... I mean, after Star Fox Assault... how could they? But anyways, that's what is seems like. Maybe it's just me? Also, I wasn't thinking when I said Capcom. I meant to say Namco but I was typing too fast. I mean, you can get Capcom from Namco, right?

*Cry* Spam, that was mean! *Sob, floods the Earth* I guess we'll just have to see who knows best, right?

Posted by DBZKid10

Really OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLKDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Posted by Lord of Spam

Its out, and it sucks. Too many characters got nerfed.

Posted by maian

Meh, I think it's okay. I liked SC2 more, though. (And not because it has Link)

It certainly has much much more to do, but it just seems....lacking. The character creation is pretty interesting though..

But, I'm with LoS. The characters are kind of...lame in this one. Zasalamel is interesting, but I started to hate him after he appeared in every single character's story and turns out to be the final boss (Who also is lame. Oh well, better then Inferno) Tira had a cool style, but her actual character is quite obnoxious. And, I didn't really get to play with Setsuka.

..By the way, is Siegfried Nightmare, just, uh, not Nightmare? And is Nightmare just humanized Soul Edge? The story never ceases to confuse me. :cool:

What's with the retarded revival of this thread?

Posted by Lord of Spam

Making a completely off topic post in a thread that was not only active but on topic was a sure fire way to improve the quality. *******.

Quoted post: that was not only active

You mean after two months of being unactive?

Anywho, my point stands.

Posted by sabre

Only problem I have with it is how badly Ivy sucks now. Cervantes (my main character) is better for me than ever.

Posted by Linko_16

I originally planned to rent it at first and then wait to see if there would ever be a GameCube release, but the rental got me hooked. I despise the PS2 controls, but the game itself was cool enough to pick up, so I've resolved to switch out for a GameCube version if it ever comes.

Some characters got seriously messed up just in their style. I deplore Astaroth's new voice (and tendency to use complete sentences, wtf?), Nightmare's unicorn helmet, Cervantes's "Dilbert" beard, and Yoshimitsu's tendency to say a lot of the same things he said in the last game, but in a totally wierd way.

On the bright side, there were several aspects that really sold it to me. I like the new attack schemes some characters have, I like having Lizardman as a unique character, there are some costumes that, though different, look totally awesome (Yoshimitsu, definately), and I'm absolutely in love with character creation.

Posted by Lord of Spam

They nerfed every one of my favourite characters. Ivy, Taki, and Nightmare all became weaker and less useable. At the same time, the characters that I hated became stronger. I havent bought 3, and have no plans to.

Posted by Linko_16

I like the color edit feature. You can save Cervantes from that ugly purple-red, or put Nightmare in a lovely pink.

Posted by Nightscare

i heard a rumor about it coming to the 360 in the near future

Posted by diplomat

this game is awsome

Posted by Lord of Spam

No, it isnt. Its vastly inferior to SC2.

Which is vastly inferior to SC.

Though SC2 was great fun.

Posted by holy_flare

Soul Calibur III is awesome! But I don't really like how they changed the moves of the characters from SC2. For example:

Talim's moves are a slight bit harder to use because they changed the buttons so I had a hard time finding my favorite combos. Also, they made Ivy's moves WAY to easy. It's too easy to control her now, unlike SC2 which gave you a bigger challenge to master her juggles and stuff.

The stories of each character are kind of hard to understand (I'm talking about the last cutscene after the final boss). In Tira's cutscene if you don't push anything, she gets caught by Sophitia and Cassandra. In Sophitia'a cutscene, if you don't push anything, she is outside talking to Cassandra or looking around or something.
In Cassandra's cutscene, if you push nothing, she is caught by her sister with the broken sword or something like that.

SC III was ok, but because of all the change in moves and stories, some things just didn't make sense. I have rented it, but have no intention of buying it.

Posted by Linko_16

Oh, I thought the whole story-mode stuff was a little underdone. You were playing the same thing over and over, other than the ending cutscene and whatnot.

Posted by love at first fright

im so sad i mean soul calibur 3 they change everything and my fav character was ivy and they change her voice i was so mad i like the boards they look cool but they just change the game 2 much like the characters voice and alittle bit of how they look

Posted by Boner

Quoting love at first fright: im so sad i mean soul calibur 3 they change everything and my fav character was ivy and they change her voice i was so mad i like the boards they look cool but they just change the game 2 much like the characters voice and alittle bit of how they look

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v468/bc2412/20021011l.gif[/IMG]

Posted by Colonel

wow this is such an old thread