Gates of Fire

Posted by Near

I just finished reading 'Gates of Fire' by Steven Pressfield, and I must say this was an excellent depiction of The Battle of Thermopylae. For those not familiar with this battle, it took place during Greek times with the Persian Empire had already conquered most of Asia and was making its way into Greece looking to rule the Greeks as well. This battle was one etched in our history for all time. Three hundred Spartans stood at the Hot Gates and held the Persian army at bay for over 6 days till finally the millions of Persian forces overpowered and ended their stand.

Some might recall the movie '300' which was about this battle, so if you enjoyed that movie, I would recommend this book for you. Also if you have any interest in Greek or Roman history, this would be something worth reading.

Its quite interesting how the story is told as well. Its told by a boy who lost his mother and father and found his way into Sparta where he was enslaved and used as a squire in battle. So not only is this a great depiction of The battle of Thermopylae, it is also told in a very unique and interesting way.