lol password cracking etc

Posted by maian

So I'm grounded from my computer and I need to figure out a way to figure out the password. :cookie:

Any suggestions? I can get boot into safe mode and access the admin account, but is there any way to just, y'know, figure out the password without changing it? >_>

[/loser]

Posted by Klarth

Grounded from your computer? What are you, ten?

Sorry I can't be more helpful, mang. Keylogger!

Posted by maian

Nope, my dad's just a Nazi. :)

My phone, games, internets, and anything else you could think of is gone right now. Why? Because I have no job. Nonetheless, I'd like to figure out that password. :-*

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Like Klarth said, try a keylogger. You can download one for free with a google search.

Posted by maian

But, how would that work when trying to get a password to an account on a computer? ;| 've never used one, so I don't really know the details.

Posted by Stalolin

Or if it's XP you might be able to just bypass everything using the administrator account, assuming your parents aren't that intelligent when it comes to computers.

Posted by Omni

Quoting maian: But, how would that work when trying to get a password to an account on a computer? ;| 've never used one, so I don't really know the details.

It creates a file with all the text entered from your keyboard and you can see what has been typed.

Posted by maian

Eh. My dad is.

He makes it autolock after a minute of idleness. >_> I would just change it, but they'd clearly know, at least dad. He does database work right now, and most of his career has been omputer stuff in the past.

EDIT: So, PHM, you're saying if I could get on it, and download a keylogger, it'd record what has been typed, even if its logging in?

Posted by Omni

It probably will, but there's no guarantee.

Posted by Apathetic

I guess its stupid of me asking but how did you get on to post if you're locked off, did you beat your friends out of their chairs or something?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

A technique I used to use. Dunno if it's been changed since then though:[INDENT] [quote]In Windows XP (well all recent Microsoft OSs actually) on boot up you are presented with a logon screen. After a default timeout (approximately 10 to 15 minutes) if there is no interaction with the mouse or keyboard the kernel executes the logon screensaver. Knowing this... it is possible to use this code execution path to gain elevated privileges if we can trick Windows into executing our code.
The way I did this is actually quite trivial. In my case, I simply booted into an environment that would let me access the filesystem directly (For this I use a slightly modified version of [URL="http://www.knoppix-std.org/"]Knoppix-STD[/URL] with NTFS write support) and simply tamper with the logon screensaver. In Windows XP, this file is located at %SYSTEMROOT%\System32\logon.scr. I replaced it with a copy of cmd.exe, and then synced the disk and unmounted it.
Once my "Trojan" was in place, I ejected my boot CD and rebooted the machine, and waited. XP booted up to its logon screen, waiting for me to enter my credentials. But I didn't. I just sat there, enjoying a Tim Horton's Cafe Mocha, documenting my procedures to this point. About 15 minutes later, with my indulgence in coffee satisfied and documentation completed, Windows XP launched my version of the logon screen saver, giving me a command prompt. But not just ANY command prompt. A command prompt with SYSTEM privileges. For those of you that do not know... consider SYSTEM the $DEITY of the machine... with higher privileges than even the Administrator. I'm in. Now, simply type "explorer" and watch the system come up. [/INDENT]

Posted by Apathetic

Can you explain that? Thats a little hard for me to follow?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Changing the screensaver file that autoruns on the logon screen after 15 minutes to a cmd prompt that will bypass the logon.

Posted by maian

yeah that's too much work

Keylogger didn't work. :(

Posted by Nazo

Try something obvious for the password. Never know it could be something really stupid and simple.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting maian: yeah that's too much work

...What? It's blindingly simple to do and you'll never find something anywhere near as subtle. Honestly, even I'm impressed by just how easy that is.

Posted by Apathetic

hrmm, how do you get that into the screensaver file if you cant get onto a computer account in the first place though?

Posted by Klarth

bootdisc

ie; use someone else's computer, download, burn, etc

Quoted post: ...What? It's blindingly simple to do and you'll never find something anywhere near as subtle. Honestly, even I'm impressed by just how easy that is.

Yeah, I've actually never heard of this method, so I'm surprised. But if you really don't know ****-all about computers it might be difficult to follow. Even though X's post is pretty straight forward.

Posted by Roger Smith

Try waiting till your ungrounded. Wait how long are you banned from pc anyway?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=maian;588980]yeah that's too much work

Keylogger didn't work. :(

Really easy, maian. Just a matter of changing a file.

Posted by Omni

By the way, why are you grounded?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=maian;588385]Why? Because I have no job. Nonetheless, I'd like to figure out that password. :-*

HERE IS THE ANSWER FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE INCAPABLE OF READING

Posted by maian

Meh, got a job, but my dad has a nasty habit of grounding me for a little thing, and keeping it for months by prolonging it by adding stupid reasons. I know it's a complicated password, because I guessed the last one. :cookie: As a result, my dad made it some ridiculous combo of letters and numbers that don't make it a coherent word.

Posted by Omni

Quoting The X: HERE IS THE ANSWER FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE INCAPABLE OF READING

I'm not incapable. I'm unwilling. Anyway, what ****ty reason to be grounded.

Quoted post: Meh, got a job, but my dad has a nasty habit of grounding me for a little thing, and keeping it for months by prolonging it by adding stupid reasons. I know it's a complicated password, because I guessed the last one. As a result, my dad made it some ridiculous combo of letters and numbers that don't make it a coherent word.

Just stab your dad in the leg while he's sleeping. He'll never mess with you again.

Posted by Reve

Quoting Omni: what ****ty reason to be grounded.

He's almost always grounded from somthing for some ****ty reason. Cell phone, computer, video games, theres always somthing and the reasons are alwasy stupid.

Posted by maian

Quoting Reve: He's almost always grounded from somthing for some ****ty reason. Cell phone, computer, video games, theres always somthing and the reasons are alwasy stupid.

qft

I'm gonna try to barter something back tonight after said job-get, but I probably won't avail. :cookie:

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Wait, WHAT?

You got a job, but he won't give you your **** back? wtf?!

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Just stab your dad in the leg while he's sleeping. He'll never mess with you again.

No, shoot him in the face. Then, he won't be able to mess with you again, even if he wanted to. In fact, he won't even be capable of wanting to mess with you.

Yeah but that's going too far. You don't want to hill him, just maim him, teach him a lesson.

Posted by maian

eh

Probably won't get things back for another month. Not that it matters, they've all been gone for at least three!

Gawd.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

http://www.childhelp.org/

USE IT MAIAN USE IT

Posted by muffla

put dust or somthing on the keyboard, then when he types the password in you know the letters and can try to guess it, then if that dosnet work, askhim to use the net for skool and make a gest/other acount or you can make it autosign in when you boot up

Posted by maian

I did make a guest account.

Only problem is, it's XP, so the login screen has the names blatantly showing with their icon next to them. ;| He hasn't noticed yet, but eventually he'll notice that a guest account magically appeared. I can't go changing the login screen either, because then he'd definitely know. :)

Posted by Trigger

Suck it up and play with something better, like girls or something. 16 year olds shouldn't cry like 12 year olds because daddy confiscated his gameboy.

Whoa, don't bring Gameboys into this. Too far.

Posted by KoH

This is what I did when my parents banned me from the computer and I was able to access Safe Mode:

Since you can access some form of Administrative access, just create a new user account and delete it after use. It may seem to be too much work but it works well, especially if you're in an environment where you can do such a thing without having to worry about someone bursting in on you.

If you really want to see the pass, you're only other option besides those suggested is to burn a specific .iso program, linux based of course, that you can boot from and that can see the Windows password. Do some research. It's been a while since I've had to sneak onto the computer without permission so I'm forgot the name of the specific program. If you really absolutely 100% need it, PM me and I'll get you the specifics.

Posted by Trigger

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Whoa, don't bring Gameboys into this. Too far.

Sorry, I meant to say Nintendo Wii.

Posted by Apathetic

X what program to dl on the std site?

Posted by Tiptoegecko

Quoting maian: So I'm grounded from my computer and I need to figure out a way to figure out the password. :cookie:

Any suggestions? I can get boot into safe mode and access the admin account, but is there any way to just, y'know, figure out the password without changing it? >_>

[/loser]

When starting into your computer, go into safe mode and you should be able to log into the Admin account (Like the actual account named Administrator) on the computer, and you should be able to get into it unless your parents are smart and put a password on it. I used to do that for my sister when she would get grounded

Posted by Trigger

He just finished saying, "I can boot into safe mode and access the admin account" which is totally making everything you said redundant and worthless. Next time, read before you post and then stupid threads such as this wouldn't be bumped.

Posted by maian

I don't own a Game Boy. Or a Wii. :cookie:

It's not really a problem anymore. If there was something simple I could do, I'd do it. But I'm not desperate enough to do anything complicated. so thx.

Posted by muffla

get a windows 98 floppy disk rund fdisk delete partions and reinstall windows

Posted by Trigger

Buy your own computer, flip your parents off and move out.

Oh, and get a job first of all, if you don't have one.