GameSpot's Greatest Games Of All Time

Posted by Big Boss

GameSpot has an ongoing, long-running feature (since 2003), similar to a "Hall of Fame," where they induct games into their "Greatest Games Of All Time."

Recently, they gave the nod to Grand Theft Auto III, which broke new ground in the way we enjoy games with its sandbox-focused gameplay mixed with the driving/third-person-shooter hybrid.

[url="http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/features/all/greatestgames/index.html"]Here's the list[/url], which grows every so often every year.

Posted by Zeta

Ctrl+F Super Metroid
Text not found.

Epic fail.

Posted by Roger Smith

Metroid made it and that's good enough.

Posted by Zeta

Considering the titanic improvements Super Metroid made over the original, no, it's not good enough.

Posted by Roger Smith

It's never good enough, is it Zeta? WHEN WILL IT BE GOOD ENOUGH? YOUR DRAGGING EVERYONE DOWN WITH YOU.

Also, without the original LOL there'd be no Super.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

At least Super Puzzle Fighter's on there. Fan****ingtastic game.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

No Ninja Gaiden? I can't take this seriously then.

Posted by Big Boss

Well, they just added GTAIII. I'm sure they'll keep adding old stuff later on.

The original NG was good, but I'm talking about the Xbox version.

Posted by Bebop

Nice to know they're topical.

Posted by maian

Wai-

Of all those games, no Metal Gear Solid, or even Metal Gear games got on there? Blasphemy.

And two other things:

Donkey Kong Country 2: Best game evar

and

[b]SUPER MARIO WORLD IS BETTER THAN SMB3[/B]

Posted by Zeta

Quoting maian: [b]SUPER MARIO WORLD IS BETTER THAN SMB3[/B]

inb4 ****storm

They're pretty comparative. I prefer World, but 3's just as good.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Mario Bros USA was superior.

Posted by Fate

Quoting maian: Wai-

Of all those games, no Metal Gear Solid, or even Metal Gear games got on there? Blasphemy.

Yep, don't care anymore.

Lemme guess: Zelda was number one again. How many of these are we going to see?

Edit: Read the list. No numbers. No mention of Metal Gear.
:(

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Roger Smith;588277]Metroid made it and that's good enough.

Metroid made it, despite being a completely shit game. and Super Metroid didn't?

I always thought Gamespot sucked, but damn.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I give this greatest games list a resounding 8.8 out of 8.8!

Posted by Klarth

Fail Fantasy VII is on there. Sorry, can't take this seriously.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Fate: No mention of Metal Gear. :(

I know. Isnt it great! :D

Posted by Big Boss

This should be an interesting study. If they don't have the game you love then the whole list is invalidated, and especially if it comes from a site where, apparently, absolutely every editor that works there happens to have a, eh, bad opinion not worth noting. Nevermind that many of those games can be justified as being some of the best games ever released regardless of your own uberpersonal taste.

*Sigh* In a perfect world...

Posted by Fate

Like I told you, I never said the list wasn't valid, just that it didn't matter to me because MGS wasn't on it.

Posted by Bebop

A landmark game like mario 64 isnt even on there? Now that's just being silly.

Posted by Roger Smith

**** Mario 64, where the hell is Goldeney!?

Posted by Speedfreak

...no, Mario 64, Goldeneye, Super Metroid or MGS. What the hell is on the list?

Quoted post: Final Fantasy II

All right, now I really can't take it seriously. FFII was terrrrrrible.

Posted by Zeta

Probably talking about FF4.

lol number mixup.

Yeah, that would make sense. Because, wow, is that game bad.

Posted by Roger Smith

Final Fantasy 4 was renamed to II when it hit US shores, same as VI, which was renamed III.

We sure do know how to **** up a chronologically based game :cookie:

Posted by G-Sides

twisted metal 2 makes it and earthbound doesn't? lol conspiracy :(

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting Speedfreak: ...no, Mario 64, Goldeneye, Super Metroid or MGS. What the hell is on the list?

It's a fine list, but I agree that these are some choice titles that need to be on there.

Wise of them not to try and rank them, though.

Posted by Bebop

Mario 64 doesnt make it
Goldeneye doesnt make it
Super Metroid Doesnt make it
Metal Gear Solid doesnt make it
Donkey Kong Country doesnt make it
Yoshis Island doesnt make it

But Wipeout does

Sweet. Baby. Jesus.

Posted by Speedfreak

Wipeout and Twisted Metal are on it, yet genre-defining Nintendo titles aren't. I always knew they were haters.

Posted by Bebop

Twisted Metal? That game sucks balls. Is this list serious?

Posted by Big Boss

Most of those will make it (although Donkey Kong Country? Meh... it's just a 2D platformer with nice graphics - The system had a better 2D platformer at launch, for crying out loud. One of the Greatest Game Ever? PLEASE. Don't even get me started on all the PlayStation gems that have yet to be put there. You know, from the best console ever?). Twisted Metal should definitely be there for its excellent car combat gameplay and addictive multiplayer (what game did it so well before them, or, um... at all? Last great one we saw? Twistel Metal: Black for the PS2. Just forget 3 and 4 ever existed), and Wipeout was such a fun futuristic racer that, depending on who you ask, beats the pants off F-Zero. And if you ask me, it does.

There. An entirely opinionated entry that all it does is challenge someone else's views enough to make them want to defend their favorite games for absolutely no gain at all.

AAAAAAAAAAH! It never ends. :(

Posted by Bebop

So you knock of Donkey Kong Country for "being a nice platformer with nice graphics" but you're more than eager to defend that mediocre games like Twisted Metal and the frankly slowpaced Wipeout deserve to be called some of the greatest games ever made? What the hell is wrong with you?

It's generally upsetting when people can't see past DKC's brilliant visuals. Even without the graphics and sound that pushed the console to it's limit the gameplay surpassed many platformers and had so much going for it. The barrel firing alone is something rarely seen outside of DK, if at all not to mention the great level design and the varied settings. The animal buddies upstage Yoshi too and the boss battles are pure gold.

Honestly saying Twisted Metal is a better game than DKC? If you weren't a fanboy I'd advise you to vist a clinic.

BTW, you spelt Nintendo 64 wrong.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Bebop: So you knock of Donkey Kong Country for "being a nice platformer with nice graphics" but you're more than eager to defend that mediocre games like Twisted Metal and the frankly slowpaced Wipeout deserve to be called some of the greatest games ever made? What the hell is wrong with you?

It's generally upsetting when people can't see past DKC's brilliant visuals. Even without the graphics and sound that pushed the console to it's limit the gameplay surpassed many platformers and had so much going for it. The barrel firing alone is something rarely seen outside of DK, if at all not to mention the great level design and the varied settings.

Honestly saying Twisted Metal is a better game than DKC? If you weren't a fanboy I'd advise you to vist a clinic.

Quoting Big Boss: There. An entirely opinionated entry that all it does is challenge someone else's views enough to make them want to defend their favorite games for absolutely no gain at all.

AAAAAAAAAAH! It never ends. :(

Caught one.

I wouldn't call me a fanboy, though. I'm not the one dismissing an entire list of great games because my favorite one (the entire series of MGS, by the way) isn't mentioned. If I were, I'd also have the decency to point out many games that haven't been mentioned from a lot more systems than the ones my favorite company has made.

Posted by Bebop

I'm dimissing the list for not featuring ground breaking, genre defining titles lol wut?

And of course you dont consider yourself a fanboy. Thats the beauty of being a fanboy :3

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Bebop: I'm dimissing the list for not featuring ground breaking, genre defining titles lol wut?

The list does have genre-defining titles. Twisted Metal is a genre-defining title. Grand Theft Auto III is not only a genre-defining title, but a popular genre-defining title. What you mean to say is, "The list doesn't have all genre-defining titles," or in your case, "The list doesn't have all the genre-defining titles from Nintendo consoles that I like."

Yeah, that's better.

Oh, and for the record, the list is named, "Greatest Games Of All Time," not "Most Genre-Defining Games Of All Time." The latter will, of course, show up on the list but by no means is the list limited to just that.

Quoting Bebop: And of course you dont consider yourself a fanboy. Thats the beauty of being a fanboy :3

So a person that isn't a fanboy has to say he's a fanboy, then? o_O How does a non-fanboy defend his non-fanboyism?

Hmmm...

Quoting Big Boss: I'm not the one dismissing an entire list of great games because my favorite one (the entire series of MGS, by the way) isn't mentioned. If I were, I'd also have the decency to point out many games that haven't been mentioned from a lot more systems than the ones my favorite company has made.

Yeah, I'm gonna go with my reasoning. Mine makes sense, anyway.

Posted by TendoAddict

The list isnt even done yet? Whats the point of crying about what games have not made it on a list that is not done?

Posted by Zeta

Because the haven't put them on yet. Why are kickass games being put on later than **** like Twisted Metal?

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Zeta: Because the haven't put them on yet. Why are kickass games being put on later than **** like Twisted Metal?

Just wondering, because I really don't know: Why is Twisted Metal ****? Was it a badly done game, or do you just think the car combat genre sucks?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Big Boss;589954][FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=yellowgreen]the car combat genre[/COLOR][/FONT]
Here's your problem right here.

Posted by Arcadios

Twisted Metal was a good game but not Greatest game list worthy.
They'll obviously add those big names missed, although I don't know why they wouldn't be the first ones on the list.

yeah, you'd think they would've prioritized the list a bit.

Posted by Bebop

Big Boss you have shown many times that you are a fanboy.

Twisted Metal may have been genre definingg for car combat, which is probably wasnt (if that even is a genre), but you cant honestly think for a second that Super mario 64 SHOULDNT be on there. The games I ;isted are indeed on Nintendo platforms but that doesnt add or subtract from the fact they are some of the finest games around. Honestly. Twisted metal is awful.

Posted by Fate

Aw, jesus, in your opinion. Doesn't mean other people may not find it extremely appealing. I personally thought it was fantastic. I also think Super Mario 64 was fantastic and should be on that list as well, but maybe, just maybe, the staff at GameSpot didn't find the game so easily recommendable years later.

And stop using "fanboy" as an attack to those who disagree, because he doesn't.

Posted by Unite

What you have against twisted metal 2 it was great game. It set a new level in car combat games and is still the currently the bar to which to beat in the genre.

Posted by Arcadios

Wait...there's a car combat genre?
=/

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[IMG]http://home8.swipnet.se/%7Ew-88173/covers/carmageddon_front.JPG[/IMG]

certain precedents have yet to be surpassed.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Fate: Aw, jesus, in your opinion. Doesn't mean other people may not find it extremely appealing. I personally thought it was fantastic. I also think Super Mario 64 was fantastic and should be on that list as well, but maybe, just maybe, the staff at GameSpot didn't find the game so easily recommendable years later.

And stop using "fanboy" as an attack to those who disagree, because he doesn't.

Im not calling him a fanboy because he disagrees, Im calling him a fanboy because he is. Some of the comments he's made add to this. Also you only have to pass over older posts of his to get proof.

Also if the Gamespot staff who complied this list didnt think Mario 64, a game that basically pioneered 3D gaming, was a title worth recommending for this list than they really are idiots. Same goes for Goldeneye. 2 examples of the best games from that genre along with Ocarnia, but only Zelda gets a mention.

And honestly now. Twsited Metal? Honeslty.

Posted by Unite

Quoting Arcadios: Wait...there's a car combat genre?
=/

yup

Posted by Bebop

There are only 2 games I can think of that fit into that genre. Twisted Metal and Carmagedon. Both suck. So glad that genre died.

Posted by Fate

The genre is often mixed with other elements these days.

Posted by Bebop

It's a sub genre then.

Posted by Unite

Quoting Bebop: There are only 2 games I can think of that fit into that genre. Twisted Metal and Carmagedon. Both suck. So glad that genre died.

The list isn't tailored to your all time favourite games.

Posted by Bebop

What other pure car combat games are there then smartass?

Posted by Unite

Quoting Bebop: What other pure car combat games are there then smartass?

a nice list here

Remember somes of those from long ago

Destruction Derby brings back fond memories

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicular_combat_game

Posted by Bebop

Burnout is more racing than car combat. The majority of games on that list are so unheard of. It may not be completely dead but at least it's quiet.

Posted by Unite

Just because the genre has been dead for a while dosen't take any of the greatness from a game like twisted metal 2.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Bebop: Big Boss you have shown many times that you are a fanboy.

Sorry, I don't know what you're talking about there. I'll always have a preference to Sony, but I'm not blind to them. Otherwise, I wouldn't prefer the Xbox 360 above the PS3, would I (or even play it so much more)? Or I wouldn't be ok with GameSpot omitting my favorite franchise that I'm a complete loyalist of, would I?

[QUOTE=Bebop;589975]Twisted Metal may have been genre definingg for car combat, which is probably wasnt (if that even is a genre), but you cant honestly think for a second that Super mario 64 SHOULDNT be on there. The games I ;isted are indeed on Nintendo platforms but that doesnt add or subtract from the fact they are some of the finest games around. Honestly. Twisted metal is awful.

Twisted Metal was genre-defining for the car combat genre (yeah, it's a genre), and it inspired that now-dead-but-then-sort-of good Vigilante 8 series of games in the PS/ Saturn era. The only response I've gotten about why Twisted Metal sucks is that it's a car combat game. That's not really an answer, because someone that hates/ doesn't like the platformer genre (the whole concept of jumping on **** just drives them nuts) would never consider Super Mario 64 a game worth mentioning (I think boomstick explained this to you a while back, though she gave an example on football or wrestling). Same goes for people that hate 2D fighting games and liking Street Fighter II, hate stealth games and liking Splinter Cell, etc. I am sure you get the point.

Oh, and about SM64, I agree 115,000,000.00% that it should be on the list. That was even my answer in a Gamasutra article that asked developers what was Nintendo's most innovative game. Here's my very Sony fanboyish reply. I'd really love to see most Nintendo lovers here speak so well about a Sony-published/developed game (I think they would just burst into flames and leave nothing but a gold coin):

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=13505

[quote]While there are many Nintendo games that have helped move the industry forward, we have yet to see a game that has made as significant an impact as Super Mario 64. There hasn't been as memorable a transition as the one from 2D to 3D, and SM64 was at the forefront of that leap. As both gamers and developers we were used to thinking about games from one particular perspective.

Not only did SM64 attempt to make a functional 3D platformer, but it succeeded in setting the standard for how third-dimensional action games would be played for years to come. The game validated the use of the analog stick, which is now the standard for all console and PC controllers. The game also presented and overcame the challenges of designing playable and entertaining levels in 3D that would be fully interacted with.

Simply put, Super Mario 64 not only presented a case for the future of 3D platformers, but it was still such an entertaining and gameplay-rich experience that it remained the best of its kind for an entire console generation. However, more than any other technical or design accomplishment, SM64 simply "wowed" anyone that first laid eyes on the game. More than any other title ever released it justified the purchase of a game console, and once the game was played it didn't disappoint.

It was such a thrilling experience to control Mario in a 3D world that every challenge thrown your way was an enjoyable excuse to experiment further with the new possibilities presented to you. If there's ever a game that matches the leap forward Super Mario 64 injected in the industry, don't be surprised if it comes from Nintendo.

The list isn't bad just because it doesn't have SM64 though, or others, because it does have games that are arguably some of the best around. Obviously, you're not going to agree with all of the games (a. Because you surely didn't play them all; b. You played them when their contribution to the industry was no longer as relevant; and c. Because you have different tastes), but to disagree with all their choices because it doesn't have the games you like is just silly.

The list isn't done, and like I said, think of it as the Hall of Fame. Games aren't inducted in order of best ever to least best ever, but they eventually all get there and the order doesn't matter at all.

Posted by Speedfreak

E.T. was arguably the best example of the E.T. subgenre, why the heck isn't it on there!?

Seriously though, next person that uses "that's your opinion" as the basis of their arguement gets banned for a day.

And God dam[COLOR=lightgreen]n[/COLOR]it, Big Boss, I would've thought you'd have learnt by now not to argue with my brother. Ah well, it's your free time.

NEXT PERSON THAT POSTS AN OPINION GETS BANNED FOR A WEEK

Posted by Zeta

[Game] is a [adjective] game.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST.)

Posted by Linko_16

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Big Boss: Sorry, I don't know what you're talking about there. I'll always have a preference to Sony, but I'm not blind to them. Otherwise, I wouldn't prefer the Xbox 360 above the PS3, would I (or even play it so much more)? Or I wouldn't be ok with GameSpot omitting my favorite franchise that I'm a complete loyalist of, would I?

Whatever you say b-b-b-buddy. Still doesnt take away from the fact regular fanboyish moments are in your behaviour.

[quote]Twisted Metal was genre-defining for the car combat genre (yeah, it's a genre), and it inspired that now-dead-but-then-sort-of good Vigilante 8 series of games in the PS/ Saturn era. The only response I've gotten about why Twisted Metal sucks is that it's a car combat game. That's not really an answer, because someone that hates/ doesn't like the platformer genre (the whole concept of jumping on **** just drives them nuts) would never consider Super Mario 64 a game worth mentioning (I think boomstick explained this to you a while back, though she gave an example on football or wrestling). Same goes for people that hate 2D fighting games and liking Street Fighter II, hate stealth games and liking Splinter Cell, etc. I am sure you get the point.

Twisted Metal just wasnt an amazing game. It was average at best. And even if the reason to put it on for defining the car combat genre is weak. Why isnt Cooking Mama on that list? It basically invented the cooking genre! Or Command and Conquer for that matter. Eledees frankly started hide n seek gaming and why isnt Harvest Moon recognized for it's contribtuon to the farming genre? If it wasnt for DDR dancing games would never have existed! (I've made by point I think.) I mean Mario kart Battle mode could have easily started that genre alone so that probably has more reason to be on there than TM! I just dont see Twisted Metal being the defining title for the genre. And even it it probably was it still doesnt deserve to be on the list otherwise it would be filled with 'defining titles' of dead genres.

And whats the justifacation for Wipeout? You don't honeslty think it set the marks for the futuristic genre better and faster than F-Zero do you? It seems the reasoning behind this list to mainly to have diversity with consoles rather than purely sticking to the games.
Even if someone doesnt like the platformer genre they should still be able to appreciate what it did for the industry and games. I'm not the biggest fan of the Metal Gear games (and I'm being extremely genorous when I call them games) but I can appreciate that their immersion and story telling ranks among some of the best, and should be on that list purely for strengthening video game narrative.

[quote]Oh, and about SM64, I agree 115,000,000.00% that it should be on the list. That was even my answer in a Gamasutra article that asked developers what was Nintendo's most innovative game. Here's my very Sony fanboyish reply. I'd really love to see most Nintendo lovers here speak so well about a Sony-published/developed game (I think they would just burst into flames and leave nothing but a gold coin):

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=13505
Alright. And the importance of this is what exactly?

[quote]The list isn't bad just because it doesn't have SM64 though, or others, because it does have games that are arguably some of the best around. Obviously, you're not going to agree with all of the games (a. Because you surely didn't play them all; b. You played them when their contribution to the industry was no longer as relevant; and c. Because you have different tastes), but to disagree with all their choices because it doesn't have the games you like is just silly.

The list isn't done, and like I said, think of it as the Hall of Fame. Games aren't inducted in order of best ever to least best ever, but they eventually all get there and the order doesn't matter at all.

I dont disregard the list because it doesnt have games I like, otherwise I'd be arguing Animal Crossing Wild World, Elite Beat Agents and Luigi's Mansion should be on there. Actually maybe Luigi's Mansion should be on there for basically defing the ghost caputring genre so many years after Ghostbusters failed. I'm not am I? I'm saying games like Mario 64, Goldeneye and Donkey Kon Country need to be on there. It's what I've been doing this whole time.
As far as order these games are probably the first that should be on there and I'd love to experience the strange reasoning behind delaying the inclusion of a 3D defining game to make way for average racing games. The only reason I can see Mario 64 getting added later is because they were forced to put it on due to outrage from fans (which is most likely) or because they just hadnt got round to it (which is very unlikely).

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;590943]NEXT PERSON THAT POSTS AN OPINION GETS BANNED FOR A WEEK

I think I'm going to call you crab-ass, because you've been such a grumpy little fucker lately. Get laid plz.

Posted by Jesus Christ

Quoting Speedfreak: I think I'm going to call you crab-ass, because you've been such a grumpy little fucker lately. Get laid plz.

Trolling, flaming, and personal attacks over video games, you do know that they are made for fun right, and because someone else has fun with something different then you doesn't mean they are retarded or gay, right?

Anyway, that list is crapola. Look at what website it is from.

Posted by Speedfreak

Not over videogames, fuckwit. I know the guy, we've sorta been here years. Try lurking more and getting to know everyone before telling them how to act.

Just so you know, flaming is perfectly okay here. This isn't some pussy board where people get banned for calling someone a dumb[COLOR=lightgreen]a[/COLOR]ss. As long as it's on topic, everything goes.

Posted by Axis

Don't get banned for trolling, but you get banned for an opinion.

I knew there was a reason I didn't come here anymore.

Posted by Creedence

Michael Jackson's Moonwalker (1990) GEN

wtf.

for real, its on there

Quoting Bebop: There are only 2 games I can think of that fit into that genre. Twisted Metal and Carmagedon. Both suck. So glad that genre died.

Smugglers Run, Vigilante8, and Jack X Combat Racing, but I do agree with you, most of the games in the genre suck.

Quoted post: I think I'm going to call you crab-***, because you've been such a grumpy little ****er lately. Get laid plz.

Dude, I'll ****ing ban you for telling me to get laid, man. But, whatever, that's just, you know, your opinion.