Birdo

Posted by Dexter

wtf?!

I was looking through an old manual for Super Mario Bros 2 and it gave a little description about Birdo. "He thinks he is a girl and he spits eggs from his mouth. He'd rather be called 'Birdetta.'" .... So... Birdo has been a guy this whole time? A guy that spits eggs? I wasn't even aware that a transgendered video game character existed. He is now going to be my character of choice whenever I play Mario Party 8.

EDIT:

http://transsexual.org/birdo.html

[CENTER][IMG]http://transsexual.org/birdo!.gif[/IMG][/CENTER]

lol

Posted by Roger Smith

Hah, funny that you didn't know that.

He's always freaked me out, especially in Super Mario Bros. 2,

Posted by Arcadios

It's been around for awhile now. I was surprised too since I don't think Nintendo ever made a trap in their games.

Posted by TMNT Freak

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]I have always called Birdo "The Man-Beast" because the voice that has been used in these newer games sounds like a older woman thats been smoking a carton a day for 30 years....

It all makes sense now...[/COLOR]

Posted by Proto Man

I'm surprised at you Dex. I thought YOU of all people would have known.

That Ostro part was a mistake on Nintendo's part, and not corrected till much later. Also, over the years Nintendo re-vamped the Birdo character to be female.

Posted by Dexter

I was surprised ay myself too. Not only did I not know about Birdo's gender confusion, but I also didn't realize that Birdo was what I thought was more of a dragon in Super Mario Bros 2. They are one and the same and I honestly had no idea about that until I got Mario Party 8. I may have at one time and then forgot about it. I never gave Birdo much attention. Never cared much for him...until now.

Posted by Bebop

Yeh hes the worlds first transexual video game character. Never would have thought it would be in a Mario game

Posted by TMNT Freak

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Mario games, I think they do just about anything... I mean the whole concept seems a little drug based as it is, why not throw in a transgendered dinosaur thing?

lets try not to forget, that SMB 2 was intended to be that Doki! Doki! Panic deal, so.... Birdo may not have even been intended to be a Mario character, just like the Shy Guys, until maybe one day, someone decided to readd those little guys back in...[/COLOR]

Posted by UncleYaris

[COLOR="Yellow"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]and i always thought it was a she all this time. *cringes*[/FONT][/COLOR]

Posted by Supermario

At first I think they tried to have a funny story behind the 'birdo' character, but I don't think it works too well. I may have heard about this somewhere before.

Quoted post: Also, over the years Nintendo re-vamped the Birdo character to be female.

I awlays thought Birdo was a girl. Whoever wrote the discription of that character from the beginning made a bad mistake. I guess we know what this thing is now.

Posted by gape

[QUOTE=Supermario;613250]At first I think they tried to have a funny story behind the 'birdo' character, but I don't think it works too well. I may have heard about this somewhere before.

I believe you are correct. I remember reading about someone who wrote the manual thought it would be funny to put in that description for birdo.

Posted by Linko_16

Effeminate male characters are downright popular in Japan. All their rock stars are the sexiest traps in the world. I think Birdo's transsexaul origins are supposed to have faded away, however...

She's seen here cuddling a bit with Yoshi, who I do not believe is supposed to be gay. Plus, didn't she hook up with that thief guy from Mario and Luigi 2 in the middle of the game?

Anyway, (s)he may have been the first transsexual Mario character, but (s)he wasn't the last. Remember Vivian from Paper Mario 2?

In the Japanese version, it's a dude. Yeah, kiss stolen from Mario and all.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

WHAT?! And she was the sexiest witch, too! :(

Birdo's probably the best sidekick in Mario Strikers.

Posted by U.B.C.S. Nick

I always thought the birdo was a sort of "Yoshi Mutation" shooting egg's out the mouth instead of the arse. At a very long distance you could confuse a pink yoshi with the Birdo...Maybe.

Posted by Colonel

You're not serious....are you?

Posted by U.B.C.S. Nick

I was 5 when i played the game, back then most things looked a little screwed up anyway...

Posted by Colonel

Quoting U.B.C.S. Nick: I was 5 when i played the game, back then most things looked a little screwed up anyway...

I hear ya. I had a big crack addiction when I was 5 too. :cookie:

Posted by Yoshi man

wow,you guys on all the new mario games guess wat,they made more then
one Birdo :)

Posted by Dexter

Yeah, just like the many variations of Yoshi. I still think there is only one true Birdo and Yoshi and the rest are just the same race and we don't have any other name for them except for Birdo or Yoshi.

Posted by David M. Awesome

So Birdo started as a boy wishing he was a girl, and now he's actually become a girl.

Rockin'.

Posted by Breakman

Quoting Dexter: Yeah, just like the many variations of Yoshi. I still think there is only one true Birdo and Yoshi and the rest are just the same race and we don't have any other name for them except for Birdo or Yoshi.

and toad and kamek (which is the name for magikoopas in the japanese version or something i think, been awhile though) and a whole bunch of others

i like to think there's 1 character named 'yoshi' but also a species called 'yoshis' (which can be male or female, both lay 'eggs' but these are not reproductive eggs at least in the males' case i'm thinking) -- i could get way into this but it'd probably be SILLY

but as far as birdo, i dunno, there've been a ton of birdos and no real 'main' ones yet, except maybe the one that's been around from like wario's woods to the newer mario sports games
in smb2 there were a bunch of them, no 'main' ones or anything, and then in smrpg there was that weird one, and then the other one that's in all the sports games and such is actually a girl
i don't really like thinkingo of them as female yoshis or anything thuogh, not only are they nowhere near as adorable (though they do look neat i guess) and other personal taste reasons, but yoshi was actually created as part of the mario universe whereas birdo was created for doki doki panic and just kind of absorbed into the mario universe (i don't think they ever were or ever will be designed to be part of the same species or anything despite their similarities)

ah, the deep, rich lore of the mario universe

Posted by NES MASTER

actually you're talking about ostro not birdo

Posted by Foppy D

wow