Top 10 Consoles

Posted by clearlytheman

http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/top-10-game-consoles-of-all-time

found this and decided to post it a look not at the worst but the best I am sure this will make for some interesting discussion.

Posted by Unite

nice

Posted by ExoXile

Don't really agree with that the Playsation deserves first place.

It houses the best game of all time, though. :D

Posted by Bebop

Pretty much agree with it except number 1. Snes deserves that so much more.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Not taking it seriously if the SNES didn't get first. Shoulda gone SNES, PS2, PS1, NES, etc, etc.

Posted by G-Sides

snes ftw
i can't watch videos on this; what was the ranking?

Posted by Arcadios

Quoting G-Sides: snes ftw
i can't watch videos on this; what was the ranking?

1-PSX
2-SNES
3-NES
4-PS2
5-Gameboy Advanced
6-Sega Genesis
7-N64
8-Gameboy
9-Atari 2600
10-Dreamcast

Quoted post: 1-PSX
2-SNES
3-NES
4-PS2

Well at least I got the top four right, just out of order.

Posted by Big Boss

I agree with the top choice, even though I debate with myself on whether the PS1 or PS2 should be first. Whichever takes second shares that spot with the SNES, and then the NES in my list.

Nice top 4!

Quoted post: I agree with the top choice, even though I debate with myself on whether the PS1 or PS2 should be first.

PS2 then PS1. Without a doubt.

Posted by clearlytheman

PS1 and then PS2 as without PS1 there would be no PS2 and PS1 was groundbreaking in the industry with quality games and cutting edge graphics for the time. PS1 paved the way for alot of what games are today there is no disputing that.

Posted by ElroyJetson

As someone who wasn't allowed to get SNES (my parents thought genesis was good enough) I have to side with ps1 being the groundbreaker. It was the first time my father actually thought a system was visibly different than its predecessor(not that that matters to anyone else).

Quoted post: PS1 and then PS2 as without PS1 there would be no PS2 and PS1 was groundbreaking in the industry with quality games and cutting edge graphics for the time. PS1 paved the way for alot of what games are today there is no disputing that.

Then you might as well put NES at the top of the list, because without it there would be no video games if you want to use that logic.

Posted by AlternateView

I was sort of annoyed that the generic PC wasn't allowed on, seeing as it hosts most of the biggest games created. Happy that one of the two Playstations took first and to me, SNES was very close. I never liked the Genesis too much.

Posted by ExoXile

[quote=AlternateView;591466]I was sort of annoyed that the generic PC wasn't allowed on, seeing as it hosts most of the biggest games created.

Hah.

COMPUTER IS NOT CONSOLE! :mad:

Posted by Speedfreak

PlayStation? F[COLOR=lightgreen]u[/COLOR]ck off, for all the highly rated games on the system even the most hardcore fan can admit it was dogs[COLOR=lightgreen]h[/COLOR]it for multiplayer. How could it be the best system with such an enourmous flaw?

I can't really think about that the best system could be other than NES (and even then purely out of respect), they all have their annoying flaws. Should've had the top 10 without them being numbered, really, there's no way to put one at the top.

Posted by Oforia

Xbox should at least be up there because it was basically the first console to introduce GOOD online play.

PS2 > PSX

SNES > All

Posted by ExoXile

It made you have to have a pretty large room, too.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Mixman: Xbox should at least be up there because it was basically the first console to introduce GOOD online play.

True. Best multiplayer console until the 360 came out, by far. Oh well, at least for those of us that only care to play with someone in the room if it's only a fighting game (PlayStation was great at that - Street Fighter Alpha 3 and Tekken 2 stole many hours of our lives...). All other genres I prefer playing online, unless there are multiple TVs for system link (again, Xbox... :)).

Posted by Bebop

Saying Xbox should be on that list purely for having good online is retarded.

Posted by Ant

It could maybe take the spot of number 10. But any higher than that then I would have to disagree.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Bebop: Saying Xbox should be on that list purely for having good online is retarded.

As opposed to having the Dream Cast at 10 because it could of been Sega's golden child, had good games, and LoLinterwebz play?

I can see the the X-box being 10 for having good games and having the first functional and wide spread online play easy.

Hell, it was probably 11 on the list.

Quoted post: Oh well, at least for those of us that only care to play with someone in the room if it's only a fighting game

Which is everyone because playing a fighter with even the slightest amount of lag is terrible.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting TendoAddict: As opposed to having the Dream Cast at 10 because it could of been Sega's golden child, had good games, and LoLinterwebz play?

I can see the the X-box being 10 for having good games and having the first functional and wide spread online play easy.

Hell, it was probably 11 on the list.

Dreamcast was the first to have online console play which is more significent than anything Xbox has done. Plus Dreamcast was just the better console quite frankly.

Yeah, failure was always a pretty good indication of superiority.

Posted by Bebop

You're right it did fail. I guess that means Dreamcast didnt do anything significent and didnt have any good games. You're right. Lets replace Dreamcast with a console they didnt die, didnt do anything landmark and had one of the least diverse libraries in gaming history. Viva la Xbox!

Yeah, it's better to keep on a console that brought down an entire corporation.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

By Bebop's logic, the Sega CD should be on there, since it was the first CD-based games system. LANDMARK GET

The original XBox was great. Diverse shootan gamez and fightan gamez library, plus other classics like Knights of the Old Republic, Ninja Gaiden, Splinter Cell, Fable, and Jet Set Radio Future. Not to mention groundbreaking online console play.

The Dreamcast had good games, but a large portion of them were high-quality arcade ports, not original content.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoted post: Dreamcast was the first to have online console play which is more significent than anything Xbox has done.

Oh yes, thank you DreamCast for having a hand full games online. You really showed what online gaming could bring to the industry.

Please, were lucky that DreamCast didn't kill online. No one saw DreamCast's online and said "boy we need some of that". They did nothing significant for the market of online gaming.

They are not the reason why ALL the new systems now have online. We can thank X-box for that. A good library with a under whelming new feature should not win over a good library and being the first to do a innovation right.

Posted by mis0

Quoting TendoAddict:
They are not the reason why ALL the new systems now have online. We can t lhank X-box for that. A good library with a under whelming new feature should not win over a good library and being the first to do a innovation right.

Exactly. When I think of the system that really pioneered online gaming, I think of the Xbox because it worked well and was a lot of fun. The Dreamcast was fun but you can't even compare Seganet to Xbox Live. There are plently of other examples of someone trying an idea first and someone else coming along later and being to first to make it successful. When thinking of early cars, you'll probably think of the Ford Model T as being the first car to really get it right even though it came more than 20 years after the Benz Motorwagen, the first car ever made. And that's just the way it works. No need for Xbox hate here.

BUT ITS HUGE AND ONLY HAS SHOOTERS LOL

Posted by Bebop

Dreamcast had a more diverse list of games. Xbox shouldnt even be considered to be on that list purely for the disaster that was it's library.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Bebop;605327]Dreamcast had a more diverse list of games. Xbox shouldnt even be considered to be on that list purely for the disaster that was it's library.

It was better than the Gamecube's, that's certain.

Posted by Bebop

With jokes like that you should be a comedian.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Bebop: Dreamcast had a more diverse list of games. Xbox shouldnt even be considered to be on that list purely for the disaster that was it's library.

More like a more diverse list of Shined Port's and a few original titles thrown in.

Plus I think you're really underplaying the X-box's library, sure it didnt have AS many good games it had some good gems in its collection. Surly enough to warrent the $299 lauch price by its end.

Ninja Gaiden. Nuff said.

Posted by mis0

I enjoyed Project Gotham, and I normally won't touch anything but Gran Turismo. And there were some great, heated matches on Live, and even more light-hearted matches of "cat and mouse", etc. I can't think of anything the Dreamcast offered that was even near comparable.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting TendoAddict: More like a more diverse list of Shined Port's and a few original titles thrown in.

Plus I think you're really underplaying the X-box's library, sure it didnt have AS many good games it had some good gems in its collection. Surly enough to warrent the $299 lauch price by its end.

Dreamcast did have arcade ports, but Xbox had more multi platform titles and cheap knock offs.

Quoted post: but Xbox had more multi platform titles and cheap knock offs.

So did every console that generation. So does every console this generation. Trend get?

Posted by Bebop

So if the library was lacking why should it be called on of the greatest consoles of all time? It didnt have as many exclusives AAA titles like GC or Ps2 so the only thing it really had going for it was the good online which really isnt enough to warrant a place on a list like this. Might as well put GC up there for having the best startup system window ever.

Ninja Gaiden.

Posted by Bebop

Ha ha oh wow. One alright exclusive out of the few. I take it back. Xbox didnt have a limited library. The list of AAA titles goes on forver :rolleyes:

I'd buy a PS3 for Ninja Gaiden.

Oh wait, I am.

Posted by Bebop

Good for you. Point still stands Xbox had a crap library :)

Ninja Gaiden makes every library amazing. Once Sigma comes out, the PS3 will be amazing.

Posted by Bebop

You spelt Animal Crossing wrong.

Posted by mis0

Quoting Bebop: So if the library was lacking why should it be called on of the greatest consoles of all time? It didnt have as many exclusives AAA titles like GC or Ps2 so the only thing it really had going for it was the good online which really isnt enough to warrant a place on a list like this. Might as well put GC up there for having the best startup system window ever.

As far as I understand, the Dreamcast is up there for being the first to have online features. I think people are saying that the Xbox was the first to impliment online featues sucessfully, and that's why it deserves the spot. If you were being honest with yourself, you'd have to admit that Xbox Live was nearly unbelievable when it came out. It worked well, there was a decent selection of games to be played, and it was much more fun than Sega net. That's the plain and simple.

Besides, if we're tossing out awards for "firsts", Tiger's Game.com beat Sega to the punch, really. Tiger Electronics stuck a modem in that thing a year prior to the Dreamcast's release.

Posted by Bebop

Xbox Live is a great online service and I had alot of online fun with it, but I wouldnt say initally there was a great selection of games for it. Or overall actually.

Even if Dreamcast wasnt the first to implement it, it was the first to implement online multiplayer. Game Com simply checked email and uploaded high scores. And again the Dreamcast had a better library of games. My Dreamcast library of games is longer, more diverse and frankly better than Xboxs. When I grew tired of the games I bought my Xbox for there was nothing great to look forward too. The same old shooters and racers were churned out and explorations into anything different were rare, and mostly fell flat on their face.

Posted by mis0

Quoting Bebop: Game Com simply checked email and uploaded high scores.

But they did it first, and that's all that counts! :o

Posted by Bebop

They didnt do online play first. Creating online multiplater first is different to connecting to the internet first.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Bebop;605577]Ha ha oh wow. One alright exclusive out of the few. I take it back. Xbox didnt have a limited library. The list of AAA titles goes on forver :rolleyes:

[COLOR=#cccccc][FONT=Tahoma]Halo, Halo 2, Psychonauts, [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#cccccc][FONT=Tahoma]Knights of the Old Republic,[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#cccccc][FONT=Tahoma] Knights of the Old Republic II,[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#cccccc][FONT=Tahoma] Ninja Gaiden, Splinter Cell, Fable, Dead or Alive 3, Unreal Championship 2, Jet Set Radio Future, Jade Empire, Chronicles of Riddick, Panzer Dragoon Oorta, Conker, Forza Motorsport, Project Gotham Racing...

It had about as many AAA exclusives as the Gamecube, but with more ports, which were usually best on the Box. Plus it hosted the only console versions of Half-Life 2 and Morrowind.

moron
[/FONT][/COLOR]

in before bebop and "but all those games are ****"

Posted by Bebop

Quoting The X: [COLOR=#cccccc][FONT=Tahoma]Halo, Halo 2, Psychonauts, [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#cccccc][FONT=Tahoma]Knights of the Old Republic,[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#cccccc][FONT=Tahoma] Knights of the Old Republic II,[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#cccccc][FONT=Tahoma] Ninja Gaiden, Splinter Cell, Fable, Dead or Alive 3, Unreal Championship 2, Jet Set Radio Future, Jade Empire, Chronicles of Riddick, Panzer Dragoon Oorta, Conker, Forza Motorsport, Project Gotham Racing...

It had about as many AAA exclusives as the Gamecube, but with more ports, which were usually best on the Box. Plus it hosted the only console versions of Half-Life 2 and Morrowind.

moron
[/FONT][/COLOR]

Take away multi platform titles and thats still not a great long list of exclusive AAA titles is it? In fact the only ones I can think that arent multi platform or most likely arent are Jet Set Future, Ninja Gaiden and Project Gotham.

In any case GC still had a longer list of exclusive AAA titles.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Bebop: Take away multi platform titles and thats still not a great long list of exclusive AAA titles is it? In fact the only ones I can think that arent multi platform or most likely arent are Jet Set Future, Ninja Gaiden and Project Gotham.

In any case GC still had a longer list of exclusive AAA titles.

You act as if all the games were on all the systems when you say Multi platform. Difference being that most of the games on the list were first X-box exclusive, then ported to PC. Having a AAA game that is on all the major systems =/= Having a exclusive AAA game then deciding to port it to a totally different gaming market.

So basically all of those games (cept splinter cell) were exclusive, and are still exclusive's to the home council market.

You said the X-box library was sh!t , when it really wasn't. Then you discredit the list by saying they were mostly multi platform. Which they were, except its not really that strong of argument since it was only ported to PC. You praise the DreamCast Library, yet a good chunk of the games are ports (making a good deal of the library multi platform with the arcade).

I'm not saying thinking the DreamCast shouldn't be on the top ten, or that it was a bad system (which is far from true). But quite frankly most of your points downing the x-box are poor.

Posted by Bebop

If a game gets ported to another platform it becomes multi platform. It doesn't matter if it's just to PC or all 3 major home console. Let this theory mull over with you for a while.

Splinter Cell may have been an excellent game (and I bought everyone of those bad boys as soon as it hit Xbox shelves) and initially an Xbox exclusive but alas as time went by it eventually saw versions on every platform including Game Boy Advance. I loved Sam Fischer's exploits dearly, but I wouldn't call a game a console's must buy AAA title if its available on other platforms. It defeats the idea of what a killer app is.

And yes, the Xbox library was ****. After I played the games I loved to death on it like Rainbow 6 3 which never saw the end of Xbox Live (and looking back on it only a select few remained completely exclusive while the others went to SC route) there was really nothing coming out that even looked remotely appealing to me. Sure Chaos Theory would be coming out in a few months and Burnout online would be pretty sweet but It wasn't a diverse enough library for my tastes. Too many sports (yawn), serious racing (double yawn), and sci-fi mediocre shooters to keep up with. Like I said dips into my favorite genres didnt work in my favour. Voodoo Vince ,which for the record I won, was the equivalent of losing a 12 year battle with stomach cancer. And they say GC had droughts. A system could have a million titles to it's name but I'd still call it **** if they are from the same genre and virtually identical to each other. I wonder if there are any systems like that?

My Dreamcast library had games from virtually every genre, each presently almost completely differently to a game from its same genre. Although some of my library are ports the exclusive titles for it trounce that of the Xbox (Jet Set Radio>Halo). And a few of them are pure cak (Sonic Adventure anyone?) Still it offered me more games during it's life time than Xbox did. Believe you me sonny Jim I'm as angry as you are that Xbox went naf. I spent alot of money and time buying games and playing them only to put it in it's box for the remaining years of that generation. Dreamcast certainly didn't have the best library either but it certainly overtakes Xbox's which alone is more reason to put a console on a list like this, combined with the fact it lit the torch for online multiplayer (as primitive as it was) and that it symbolized the end of a giant I'd say it deserves that 10 more than anything else. Including Virtual Boy.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Bebop: If a game gets ported to another platform it becomes multi platform. It doesn't matter if it's just to PC or all 3 major home console. Let this theory mull over with you for a while.

I never said it wasn't multi platform. I said there was a difference what platform it does go on. Having a game be the only version on a home console and having a later version be ported to PC is different then having a game being released on all three home systems. Hell, having a game on a home console and having it come out on a PC at the same time is different then having it on all home consoles. Why? Because the PC gaming market and the Home console market are two separate beasts with two different market bases and two totally different barriers to entry. Having the only version in a market gives you an advantage because that market only has ONE way to get the game.

So yeah, most of the big X-box multi platform with the PC But it hardly makes X-box's library under whelming when they are the only console version available.

Quoted post: Splinter Cell may have been an excellent game (and I bought everyone of those bad boys as soon as it hit Xbox shelves) and initially an Xbox exclusive but alas as time went by it eventually saw versions on every platform including Game Boy Advance. I loved Sam Fischer's exploits dearly, but I wouldn't call a game a console's must buy AAA title if its available on other platforms. It defeats the idea of what a killer app is.

The X-box had the best console versions of the Splinter cell games,this is not including downloadable content and live. Having the best version of a game on all consoles is always advantageous. A killer app is just soft-ware that helps Hard-ware, the best version on a game can help hardware sales. Why do you think MS shelled out 50 million for a superior GTA4? It wasn't for the fans.

[QUOTE]And yes, the Xbox library was ****. After I played the games I loved to death on it like Rainbow 6 3 which never saw the end of Xbox Live (and looking back on it only a select few remained completely exclusive while the others went to SC route) there was really nothing coming out that even looked remotely appealing to me. Sure Chaos Theory would be coming out in a few months and Burnout online would be pretty sweet but It wasn't a diverse enough library for my tastes. Too many sports (yawn), serious racing (double yawn), and sci-fi mediocre shooters to keep up with. Like I said dips into my favorite genres didnt work in my favour. Voodoo Vince ,which for the record I won, was the equivalent of losing a 12 year battle with stomach cancer. And they say GC had droughts. A system could have a million titles to it's name but I'd still call it **** if they are from the same genre and virtually identical to each other. I wonder if there are any systems like that?

It really sounds like you think X-box had a sh!t library because it didn't tickle you're fancy. I'm sorry that you didn't like a good deal of what X-box banked on. But personal opinion hardly makes an entire library sh!t because you say so. Plus it sounds like you didn't play a lot of other games that are not sport, space shooting, or serious racing genre.

But alas, this debate is dwindling down to a matter of opinions. Its not like I'm saying the DreamCast is a bad or it doesn't deserve the spot. But It's clear that I won't convince you that X-box is better then you think. Nor will this debate put X-box on #10. So I'm just going say that we agree to disagree.

PC is just an extension of the Xbox at this point.

Posted by Bebop

Xbox is a PC lolololol

Quoting TendoAddict: I never said it wasn't multi platform. I said there was a difference what platform it does go on. Having a game be the only version on a home console and having a later version be ported to PC is different then having a game being released on all three home systems. Hell, having a game on a home console and having it come out on a PC at the same time is different then having it on all home consoles. Why? Because the PC gaming market and the Home console market are two separate beasts with two different market bases and two totally different barriers to entry. Having the only version in a market gives you an advantage because that market only has ONE way to get the game.
Still multi platform. And I dont call games a consoles killer ap when its on another console. PC or home.

[quote]So yeah, most of the big X-box multi platform with the PC But it hardly makes X-box's library under whelming when they are the only console version available.
Still multi platform.

[quote]The X-box had the best console versions of the Splinter cell games,this is not including downloadable content and live. Having the best version of a game on all consoles is always advantageous. A killer app is just soft-ware that helps Hard-ware, the best version on a game can help hardware sales. Why do you think MS shelled out 50 million for a superior GTA4? It wasn't for the fans.
Didnt have the best verion of the first installment. Plus it's still meanginess. No one in their right mind would shell out a few hundred for a few new things when they can spend 40 to play it on their existing console. Xbox may have had some superior versions but they were still multi platform.

[quote]It really sounds like you think X-box had a sh!t library because it didn't tickle you're fancy.
Yeah I think I said that. Seeing as you know this who thing is subjective lol wut? Plus I alrady stated that the library wasnt very diverse.
[quote]I'm sorry that you didn't like a good deal of what X-box banked on.
Sports and run of the mill FPS games arent my thing.
[quote]But personal opinion hardly makes an entire library sh!t because you say so.
Congratulations. Gold star for you. Whats your point?
[quote]Plus it sounds like you didn't play a lot of other games that are not sport, space shooting, or serious racing genre.
For the love of *** mention good titles that arent from these genres. Grabbed by The Ghoulies was both a disappointment on Rare and adventure game rights, I've already mentioned the diabolical experince that is Voodoo Vince and don't even mention the coma enducing Midtown Madness 3 or the poorer Whacked!

[quote]But alas, this debate is dwindling down to a matter of opinions.
Wait, you mean it was never about this in the first place? Wierd. I thought that when you said you liked it and I said I didnt we were reciting an encyclopedia.
[quote]Its not like I'm saying the DreamCast is a bad or it doesn't deserve the spot.
Youve been supporting the idea that Xbox should have been number 10. So yeah, you are saying it doesnt deserve the spot.
[quote]But It's clear that I won't convince you that X-box is better then you think.
Obviously not. You cant convince me that after years and money spent looking closely for games I'd like and not exactly hitting the gold mine I was wrong to not enjoy Halo 2.
[quote]Nor will this debate put X-box on #10. So I'm just going say that we agree to disagree.

Is nearly everything you say irrelevant?