This is news

Posted by Fate

Carlos got the job at Midway. He designs stuff. <333333

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Midway kinda sucks.

Posted by Fate

Come on, it's not Atari or anything.

Well, I said kinda. They've released some pretty good games, but just a lot of **** too. But hey, they're probably just going to be a stepping-stone in his career. Congrats.

Posted by Roger Smith

It'd be cool if he worked with someone like Ensemble Studios. But Midway is starting to lose it.

Also, congrats on him getting farther then most of us will ever get.

Posted by Fate

Considering the man just graduated two weeks ago, this is a big deal. There was so much hard work I've witnessed him do, I'm really happy for him.

Posted by Roger Smith

Note my edit:)

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[URL="http://www.destructoid.com/rumor-midway-withholds-the-games--31915.phtml"]Midway are kinda dicks.[/URL]

Congrats etc.

Quoted post: It'd be cool if he worked with someone like Ensemble Studios. But Midway is starting to lose it.

Yeah, ****ing love those Age of Empires games and.... uh... AGE OF EMPIRES **** YEAH!

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Ensemble are doing Halo Wars too, dude. They've actually handed the next AOE expansion to another team because of the amount of manpower they need for it.

Posted by Roger Smith

It's over. Ensemble Studios is finished.

thx vamp.

Quoted post: Ensemble are doing Halo Wars too, dude. They've actually handed the next AOE expansion to another team because of the amount of manpower they need for it.

Yeah I know. It's probably not going to be all that great either.

Posted by Roger Smith

But then again, maybe it will. It's not like Ensemble doesn't know what they're doing when it comes to RTS's. I think it'll be refreshing to have an RTS in Halo, at least it's something new lol.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

All I remember about Ensemble was reading the AOEII strategy guide, back in the days before full-blown internet. The introduction was a thesis by the lead designer on how AOEII improves the RTS genre.

Oh yeah, Midway. Woo.

They know what they're doing when it comes to Age of Empires, which is a specific type of RTS with a specific feel. I'm sure the game will be good, just because of their experience, but I don't think they're the best developer to choose to make a Halo game. That on top of the fact that it is a console RTS, though such a thing is starting to improve, doesn't lend itself to be a great release. All I'm saying.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

It's probably going to be mediocre. And lack the OMG YEAH KICK *** KEGGER RANDAL LAST NIGHT attitude of the Halo games.

Posted by Roger Smith

YOUR OPINIONS ARE NOTED AND APPRECIATED VAMP.

If the game does indeed do well, I wonder if they will consider porting to the PC? It's possible as Halo and Halo 2 were ported.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

If ported to the PC, it'll get swept away in the huge tidal wave of RTS games on the PC. I used to love RTS, but now it's like COMMANDANDCONQUERTHECOMPANYOFHEROESINTHEBATTLEOFMIDDLEEARTHATTHEDAWNOFWAR!

I'm totally lost.

Posted by Roger Smith

True, but see.....it's HALO. That's the big thing about it.

Side note: For a second, I thought I was posting in Smoothie :cookie:

Quoted post: If the game does indeed do well, I wonder if they will consider porting to the PC? It's possible as Halo and Halo 2 were ported.

PC kids don't give a **** about Halo, but chances are it's going to be ported just like CE and Halo 2. Of course, besides it being Halo, no one will care because it's an RTS built from the ground up for console controls. PC players love that.

Posted by Fate

Not a fan of RTS games. :/

Play Company of Heroes. Still might not like it, but ****, it's probably the best RTS out there.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Dawn of War is great, too. Faster than CoH, but not quite as deep.

Posted by Fate

That's like saying it's the best type of ****!

Quoted post: That's like saying it's the best type of ****!

yeah, and that **** is ****ing delicious.

Posted by Roger Smith

I consider SupCom and Black & White 2 two of my favorites.

lol @ almost beating my creature to death.

SupCom is awwight, but nothing to write home about.

Posted by Roger Smith

It's PC requirements are a little too steep, even for me.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

SupCom is so very Slowpoke. Enjoyable once it gets running though.

Quoted post: It's PC requirements are a little too steep, even for me.

Yeah, though seeing it maxed out with two screens is pretty nice. Stupid, but nice.

Posted by Roger Smith

You know it's bad when not even a 7900 GTX can run it without it lagging :(

Couple that with an older dual core processor.......I cry.

Posted by Fate

Anyways, after all this hoohah you guys are talking about-- we're moving to Texas for this. :)

Posted by Roger Smith

Ah, convenient. Ensemble Studios is located in Texas :D:D:D:D:D

Quoted post: Anyways, after all this hoohah you guys are talking about-- we're moving to Texas for this.

Make sure to visit Shin-Ra.

Actually, better yet, tell Big Boss to get a job at Silicon Knights. ST. CATHARINES **** YEAH!

Posted by Ant

congratulations

Posted by Big Boss

Thanks for the congrats!

I actually applied only to Midway Austin first because that's where I wanted to work for more than anywhere else. I purposely didn't submit my resume to any other company, because I didn't want to look at any other company unless they didn't want me, so I'm really lucky that's where I ended up.

And for all the Midway non-believers, I'm joining the studio that is largely made by heads of the Ion Storm studio, including Harvey Smith and Kent Hudson. They joined right before Area 51 was released in 2005, so their first REAL project with Midway is BlackSite: Area 51 and the unannounced title I'll be working on. Look for some of the Game Of The Year titles they've put out, such as Deus Ex, System Shock and the last Thief. If you've played these games and have talked to Harvey or Kent, you know they're very creative people that want to offer more than the usual. Harvey is particularly involved and focused on offering the player a level of intentionality and expression through his games.

The Mortal Kombat team is in Chicago, and then there's the one in Seattle and Cali. Midway Austin was formed in 2005 after independent company Inevitable Entertainment got bought by Midway and renamed Midway Studios Austin, and then a bunch of people from Ion Storm came on board after the company closed.

(Oh, and we also got people that willingly left Retro Studios). :)

Posted by Roger Smith

Hah, sounds like a good deal.

BETTER NOT SCREW IT UP:mad: