Top 10 worst handhelds

Posted by clearlytheman

http://www.modojo.com/features/20061030/128//1/

This is an interesting list I was kinda surprised to see PSP at number 4 but I can see their point.

Posted by ElroyJetson

I'm baffled as to how Game Gear didn't make this list. It had some useless add ons and worth battery life in the history of man.

Posted by Fate

Seven and four shouldn't be on the list.

Posted by Bebop

Number 7 shouldnt be on the list.

PSP deserves to be on that list. Is it still even alive?

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

It's starting to improve, and there's already a few good games on it. Considering there's not that many handhelds though, it should be on the list at this point. Just not number four.

Oh, and number seven is pretty ****ing retarded. How the GBA can be considered a flop by any definition, I don't know.

Posted by clearlytheman

It isnt the gameboy advance that is considered a flop it is that style of it. The screen doesnt light up and the LCD was terrible which is why nintendo gave birth to the GBA SP. As for the PSP I just sold mine I mostly used it for homebrew snes roms. I did enjoy fight night though.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: It's starting to improve, and there's already a few good games on it. Considering there's not that many handhelds though, it should be on the list at this point. Just not number four.

Oh, and number seven is pretty ****ing retarded. How the GBA can be considered a flop by any definition, I don't know.

The PSP has been out 2 years and it has only a select few exclusives even considering looking at. I think it's fair to say it's one of the worst handhelds.

Posted by Poco

Quoting Bebop: The PSP has been out 2 years and it has only a select few exclusives even considering looking at. I think it's fair to say it's one of the worst handhelds.

The same can be said of all handhelds- Dracula~ Castlevania:Sotn

Why isn't the Game.com on there?

Posted by clearlytheman

The PSP was sony's answer to nintendo in the handheld game and yes the graphics are unmatched in handheld but graphics don't always make the game there is no point making games with unbelivable graphics with crappy gameplay and stories. The end result is you get a watered down PS2 port as the size of the UMD results in to much being cut.

Posted by GameMiestro

Scannerz never gets any love.

Posted by Arcadios

I agree with Fate, Vamp and Bebop.
Number 4 shouldn't be on that list for any reason.

Quoted post: It isnt the gameboy advance that is considered a flop it is that style of it. The screen doesnt light up and the LCD was terrible which is why nintendo gave birth to the GBA SP. As for the PSP I just sold mine I mostly used it for homebrew snes roms. I did enjoy fight night though.

So? At the time is was the best handheld. There was nothing "flop" about it, even if it didn't have a lit screen. It didn't need one.

Quoted post: The PSP has been out 2 years and it has only a select few exclusives even considering looking at. I think it's fair to say it's one of the worst handhelds.

Right, which is why I said it's a flop now. However, more and more games are being announced for it that actually look pretty good.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

If the GBA1.0 had a backlit screen, it would be the fukken epitome of handheld design. I love mine, even if I do need really bright lighting just to see the screen.

Also, the N-Gage only makes 6? These guys really have no idea what they're talking about.

Also, WonderSwan wasn't that bad. But I like how they put it at six without even touching one.

Posted by clearlytheman

[QUOTE]So? At the time is was the best handheld. There was nothing "flop" about it, even if it didn't have a lit screen. It didn't need one.

It was the best at the time cause it had no competition how long has game boy been around with no competition. Nintendo obviously realized that is was a problem which is why they redesigned it and called it GBA SP with a backlit screen and amazing battery life.

Quoted post: It was the best at the time cause it had no competition how long has game boy been around with no competition. Nintendo obviously realized that is was a problem which is why they redesigned it and called it GBA SP with a backlit screen and amazing battery life.

It was the best out of any handheld past or present at the time. It had no competition because no one could compete with it. Pretty good indication of it not being a flop. As for redesigning it, thank ***, but that doesn't mean the prior iteration was bad. Nintendo always redesigns their stuff, that's just what they do.

Posted by Zeta

I don't understand how people couldn't see **** in CotM. I've always managed to see it just fine. =/

And wtf GBA worse than VB?

Posted by zero

Quoting Fate: Seven and four shouldn't be on the list.

i concur.

Posted by MarioStar

As much as i hate to adimit it i dont think psp should be on there its got good graphics and you can watch movies listen to music ...etc. stuff you cant do on game boy. still wouldnt buy it tho

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Right, which is why I said it's a flop now. However, more and more games are being announced for it that actually look pretty good.

I was disagreeing with you saying that upcoming titles look promising. This console really has no games going for it.

Quoted post: I was disagreeing with you saying that upcoming titles look promising. This console really has no games going for it.

Disagreed. I still wouldn't buy one, but it's getting better.

Posted by Bebop

It's honeslty not. Pretty much the same cack thats already on it.

GoW
Crush
Metal Gear
Crisis Core
Ratchet and Clank
Tekken
Lumines series
GTA games
Killzone
Burnout series
Syphon Filter series
Battlefront
Final Fantasy Tactics
Silent Hill
Daxter
SOCOM
Mega Man
Castlevania
etc etc etc

That's a pretty solid list of current and upcoming titles, and those are just from memory. The games on that list that are already out are actually very, very good, and the ones that aren't out yet look really promising. To call the PSP a failure is just, well, wrong. It's just not the best marketed machine, or the best built, and the games that are out and are really good just don't get enough attention for anyone to give a ****.

Posted by Bebop

Nope, nothing on that list sounds good.

Posted by Fate

This is the part where we remain silent, like a hill.

Posted by Speedfreak

Jesus Christ, that entire list makes no sense. It's more like "top 10 reasons people shouldn't visit our site".

GBAs screen was never that bad and has pretty much the best handheld library ever, GB Micro was arguably the best version of it. I think PSP is pretty bad, but worse than Game Gear or N-Gage? Last I checked WonderSwan was the best competitor GB ever had until PSP.

They're on a different planet.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Fate: This is the part where we remain silent, like a hill.

Oh right, a Silent Hill joke is it? I never figured you to be one for comedy Fate. And BTW, for the record, surival horror doesnt work on handhelds anyway so I dont know why people are treating a Silent Hill game as PSPs killer app. Same goes for the majority of games on the list like Jak and Daxter and Tekken. I mean honestly, Tekken. Vamp how can you say Tekken looks like a promising title? Eugh.

Tekken's been out for a long time, dude. And I never said any of those were killer apps or AAA titles. I just said those were all solid, good games. Either way, what's good and what's bad is totally subjective so think whatever you want, but those are games not only I think are good, but a lot of PSP owners and also reviewers. The PSP doesn't belong below the N-Gage, or even on the list.

Posted by Bebop

Tekken was on your list.
I never said you personally acted like any of those titles were killer apps. I was commented on the buzz Silent Hill on the PSP has stupidly been getting.
You and alot of other people may agree some of those games are good but that means jack **** so whats the point of mentioning it?
IMO does deserve to be on the list. IMO a console which is still expensive and after 2 years has nothing in the way of an AAA title is a bad console.

Quoted post: Tekken was on your list.

Yeah, and I said those were a mix of games that were already out and not released yet. As for Silent Hill, that hasn't exactly been getting a massive amount of buzz. But hey, it's Silent Hill, so chances are the game is going to be pretty good.

And I mentioned it because if the games are getting good reviews all across the board, chances are they're actually good games. You asked what looked promising and what games it has going for it and I listed a bunch. Whether they're promising to you, probably not, but they would be to PSP owners and the market in general.

Posted by Bebop

Silent Hill has got people going bat **** on many a forum. People are treating it like gold dust. Whats worse is that people are thinking a surival horror game on a handheld will be scary. It wont be.

Going back to the list I honeslty fail to see why anyone would enjoy any of those games. Aside from a few quirky ones like Luminies, all others are either ****ty ports, or bad spin offs of already tiresome exisitng series. The best sellling PSP games are exactly that. And if a console's best selling games (note plural) are multi format, and BAD multi format games at that, then it really is a **** console. Combined with everything else that is so obviously flawed with the PSP than it's pretty sound to say the PSP deserves to be on that. Whether or not you Portable Ops.

Posted by Zeta

I'd buy one just for Dracula X Chronicles, and I'm one of the guys that bashed the PSP the most. =/

Quoted post: Going back to the list I honeslty fail to see why anyone would enjoy any of those games. Aside from a few quirky ones like Luminies, all others are either ****ty ports, or bad spin offs of already tiresome exisitng series. The best sellling PSP games are exactly that. And if a console's best selling games (note plural) are multi format, and BAD multi format games at that, then it really is a **** console. Combined with everything else that is so obviously flawed with the PSP than it's pretty sound to say the PSP deserves to be on that. Whether or not you Portable Ops.

Most video games in general are sequels or some sort of spin-off. However, none of the games, maybe besides Mega Man and Castlevania, are ports or multiplatform. Either way, the games are still good whether you think so or not.

Posted by s0ul

I like how PSP was on the list for being good hardware and having ****ty software and GBA was on there for ****ty hardware but awesome games.

wtf?

Posted by Speedfreak

If you couldn't use an original GBA properly there's something wrong with you. The screen was better than the friggin GBCs anyway.

I think PSP could be on that list purely because half of the systems on that list shouldn't be on there anyway. If PSP was on there it'd be 10th, it's easily the best worst handheld.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

PSP definitely isn't one of the worst handhelds of all time. Lacking in good games, but it has awesome media capabilities, for a handheld console.

Quoted post: I think PSP could be on that list purely because half of the systems on that list shouldn't be on there anyway. If PSP was on there it'd be 10th, it's easily the best worst handheld.

Yeah, I'd totally agree with that. It's definitely not worse than the N-gage or Lynx.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Most video games in general are sequels or some sort of spin-off. However, none of the games, maybe besides Mega Man and Castlevania, are ports or multiplatform. Either way, the games are still good whether you think so or not.

Point is most games on PSP are bad sequels and spin offs. Daxter? **** off. Also the games you listed are poor, whether you think so or not.

okay, buddy.

Posted by Bebop

Just as long as you can accept the evidence that proves PSP is one of the worst handhelds made of all time then yes, everything is "okay".

sure thing, pal

Posted by Bebop

When your argument has been shot down do you allways do this, or is it generally you have nothing of value to say?

Posted by Fate

It hasn't been shot down, he's just ignoring you because it's easy.

Posted by Bebop

It was shot down. His argument was the titles were good because him and others liked it. using his logic I said the titles were bad because I and others hated it. He could not compute this.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Bebop: Point is most games on PSP are bad sequels and spin offs. Daxter? **** off. Also the games you listed are poor, whether you think so or not.

Have you played them all? How do you know they are all "poor"? I would just like to know what you mean.

Posted by Bebop

I have played some of them. The rest are installments of series that are just plain awful. I dont need to play another Tekken game to be reminded just how dull the series is.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Bebop: I have played some of them. The rest are installments of series that are just plain awful. I dont need to play another Tekken game to be reminded just how dull the series is.

But you said the following earlier:

[QUOTE=Bebop]You and alot of other people may agree some of those games are good but that means jack **** so whats the point of mentioning it?

So there's no point in you mentioning that you think some of those games are just plain awful, because it's just the opposite statement of what Vampiro said.

So, if both your opinions on the quality of the PSP games are not worth mentioning, then what is worth mentioning? After all, your argument was that the PSP has a bad library, which means bad quality of games, while Vamp's was that there are some very good games out there for the system. But when he mentions some of these games are good, you turn around and say that's not worth mentioning, yet you keep repeating they are bad games. You're essentially defending your argument the same way you're preventing Vampiro to do so.

Seems unfair, so I understand if Vampiro just wants to stop trying.

Posted by Zeta

[quote]The rest are installments of series that are just plain awful
[quote=list]Castlevania

Haha, oh wow.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Big Boss: But you said the following earlier:

So there's no point in you mentioning that you think some of those games are just plain awful, because it's just the opposite statement of what Vampiro said.

So, if both your opinions on the quality of the PSP games are not worth mentioning, then what is worth mentioning? After all, your argument was that the PSP has a bad library, which means bad quality of games, while Vamp's was that there are some very good games out there for the system. But when he mentions some of these games are good, you turn around and say that's not worth mentioning, yet you keep repeating they are bad games. You're essentially defending your argument the same way you're preventing Vampiro to do so.

Seems unfair, so I understand if Vampiro just wants to stop trying.

Firstly Vamp makes the painfully obvious revelation that people have opinions and the such. Problem is he attempted to use it to remove credibilty from my opinion or lower its value or something because I disagreed with him by playing the ol "lol people have opinions and stuff lol and they are subjective" cards. But straight after he goes on to say that he likes them, other people like them, and some reviewers do to somehow make it look as if because people agree with him his opinion is stronger, or has more worth and hes right? Why say opinions on games are all subjective and equal, then use collective opinions supporting yours to imply yours is stronger! One minute opinions are subjective, next hes implying his is more factual because some people agree with him? Contradiction? Yeh I think so. As soon as he played the opinuon card everything after that with the people who agree with him was void straight away. When I said it meant jack **** I meant exactly that. Is that any clearer?

I was throwing his stuff back at him. Just like I did when he used his opinion as 'proof' the games were good with the quote "Either way, the games are still good whether you think so or not". When he said this I simply said it straight back from the other end hoping for him to come out with some outburst like "lol stop showing your opinion as evidence lolol" which apparantly he hates, but alas it seems he discovered I was using his own logic against him and he figured that throwing a hissy fit was the best way to save face.

I had no problem him having an opinion as we discussed it fine before and after any of the above stuff happened. Its only when he came out with crap that I used it against him which he could not compute. How about next time Big Boss you realise when I'm using Vamps own arugment to mock him instead of thinking it's my own argument? Honestly.

Posted by ExoXile

Hah. As if Sweden even have a mafia.

But yeah, even I don't agree with the PSP being 4th.

And GBA being on 7th place is just funny.

Posted by Bebop

[quote=Big Boss][font=trebuchet ms][color=yellowgreen]So there's no point in you mentioning that you think some of those games are just plain awful, because it's just the opposite statement of what Vampiro said.

I was answering his question of whether I had played them or not. I said I didnt give a **** about whether people enjoyed the games but I played them and didnt like them.

[quote]So, if both your opinions on the quality of the PSP games are not worth mentioning, then what is worth mentioning?

To be honest the less said about the PSP the better. I'm sure that's what Sony would prefer.

[quote]After all, your argument was that the PSP has a bad library, which means bad quality of games, while Vamp's was that there are some very good games out there for the system. But when he mentions some of these games are good, you turn around and say that's not worth mentioning, yet you keep repeating they are bad games. You're essentially defending your argument the same way you're preventing Vampiro to do so.

Wrong. Try reading next time. When I said not worth mentioning I mean theres no point him telling me some people liked the game because I still say they sucked, and it wont sway my opinion. Because after all he seemed pretty determined to somehow disprove my view because he found people that agreed with him. I could find people who agreed with me but whats the point? I didnt say he shouldnt mention good games for the PSP because for the love of ***, prove to me there is a real reason to keep this handheld around.

Posted by Linko_16

Frankly, I don't think any system on the list that I'd actually heard of got really fair treatment.[/Switzerland]

Except maybe N-Gage.

Posted by Blood-Katana

i just have one thing to say about the psp look in the bottom right corner of it what do you see.....nothing exactly who the f%$k designed the psp there
k just watch this review
how come you can post urls that is stupid any way go to you tube type in ratchet and clank size matters xplay and its the first one

F%#k that url thing is gay

Posted by mis0

I'd love to know what kind of criteria they holding the handhelds to. The PSP is simply not worse than the N-Gage.