Another lawsuit for sony...

Posted by Prince Shondronai

And this one's a big'un:

http://tech.blorge.com/Structure:%20/2007/05/27/patent-lawsuit-demands-that-sony-stops-making-blu-ray-discs/

If Target Tech manages to drive the final nails in sony's already nail-ridden coffin, my laughter will know no end. No doubt they'll settle, though. Too bad.

Posted by Zeta

Obligatory "It's over, Sonys finished" response.

Posted by ExoXile

Hmmm...

Lol.

Posted by clearlytheman

sony will come to terms on this as they are no stranger to lawsuits. Maybe they are in competition with Take2 to see who can get sued more.

Certainly sony has a lot of experience with lawsuits. New ones are never helpful, though. Maybe I'm waiting for a straw to break the camel's back that will never come, but I can still laugh at the large amount of straw sony has to carry around everywhere they go.

Posted by Unite

Saw this earlier had good laugh about it, sony will win this one easliy.

Quoting Unite: Saw this earlier had good laugh about it, sony will win this one easliy.

Not if they are, in fact, using a patented alloy. They might not lose, but they won't win, either. They'll still have to spend a crapload on legal and settlement fees.

Posted by muffla

sony will probly end up just buying the company

Posted by Proto Man

Hmm, depending on how this goes, it could be very good for HD DVD.

Posted by avalanch

LOL, read on...

Quoted post: Patent infringement is nothing new to Sony. Sony recently settled a dispute with [URL="http://www.immersion.com/"][COLOR=#669966]Immersion[/COLOR][/URL], a company that specializes in tactile feedback devices. Immersion argued that the rumble feature of the PlayStation 2’s DualShock controllers was based on its technology. Sony also recently settled a dispute with Kodak over ten digital camera patents.

Posted by Fate

I'm not sure about this, but I thought Blu-Ray players came out before the PS3, which means the players were well into production before the patent came into the mix-- which would also imply that the test discs were using the alloy that is currently on the market. The patent came well after the production was underway. If anyone has a grasp on how ex post facto works, Sony could very well win this fair and square.

The patent is for the alloy, right? Still kind of weird how you can put a patent on an alloy. It's like putting a patent on science or something.
:/

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Fate;584749][COLOR=skyblue]The patent is for the alloy, right? Still kind of weird how you can put a patent on an alloy. It's like putting a patent on science or something.[/COLOR] :/

An alloy is a mixture of metals, you can get many different proportions of metals within the same alloy, each mixture having different properties. Creating an alloy with specific properties takes a lot of work and know-how, as does figuring out how to produce that alloy. It could quite easily be patented.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

If DNA can be patented, anything can.

Posted by Fate

Is the internet patented? That's where I'm going.

You're going in the wrong direction.

Posted by Fate

Wait, wait, is it patented?

Parts of it, but not that I know of.

Posted by ElroyJetson

As someone who felt slightly wronged by the ridiculous cost of the Ps3 and switched allegiances to xbox360, I somewhat like to see this kind of stuff. Although, I'm pretty sure nothing will come of it.

Posted by AlternateView

(Sorrowful sniff)

Where did it all go wrong?

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: If DNA can be patented, anything can.

...what? Proof.

Posted by AlternateView

Yeah, hold on... Oh, wait. Cloning technology or some crap perhaps.

Quoted post: ...what? Proof.

just google it

Quoting AlternateView: (Sorrowful sniff)

Where did it all go wrong?

Right around the time Nintendo approached sony to work on the Super Nintendo PlayStation. Big N should have known better.