Help

Posted by DmoniclyDmented1

My Nintendo (The original one) power button light keeps blinking when i try to turn it on, and the screan will breifly start up the game enough to show the title half way then the light blinks and it starts over again. How do i get it to stop blinking and work? PLEASE HELP! ~Love, Rita~

Posted by Landon

Hello.

First, blow in the machine and then blow on the cartridges to make sure there is no dust. A better way is to use compressed air- either the kind that comes in the little cans, or if you happen to have an air compressor, that works great.

Chances are, as is the case with most 15-20 year old NES systems, you need a new 72 Pin connector.
If you go on ebay and type in - 72 Pin NES - , you will see a kajillion people selling them. There is a reason there is such a market for these things.
An design flaw (intentional?) in NES systems was that the system degraded after a certain amount of use as the pins became "spread".
99% of users wouldn't know how to fix this, so they just bought a new NES.

Here 20 years later with no new NES systems available for sale, replacing the 72 Pin (which is exactly your problem) is the only way to go.
I paid $5 each for 3 "non working" NES systems with the exact same problems as yours, replaced the 72 Pin connectors and they all work fine.

It is very easy to replace, and sounds more intimidating on paper than it really is.
You pretty much remove some screws, take the housing off, pop off the old connector and pop in a new one and viola your system works again.

Posted by -Shadow-

Here is a little trick i learned. When it's blinking on the actual game screens, and not just colors, tap reset quickly. It should snap it into being stable.

Posted by bazariah

or alternativley another idea is the wiggle trick, left right on right left on, it works quite well

or insert then un-insert a game a few times, it seems to take a lot of dust our of the connector

Posted by Dexter

The most superior way I have discovered while trying to get my NES to work properly is to use a Game Genie. For some reason, it helps the game connect better, which in turn will give you great assistance in getting your games to work. You can usually find Game Genies for 3 dollars in pawnshops, and the investment is well worth it. Also, if you use two Game Genies within each other, you can use up to 6 codes! Though, I use my Game Genie generally to get my games to work on my regular NES more than I do for codes. Top Loaders are a great investment as well, if you can actually find an affordable one.