Will Nintendo's online strategy work?

Posted by SuperSoupy

So....Mario Strikers online is it?

But will it work? Will it catch on? Sure it's good news, and personally I loved the gamecube version of this game! But in this World of Warcrafts, with its Gears of Wars and Final Fantasies, I've gotta wonder has Nintendo left it too long to enter the online market? I mean even if they do well at the start, Halo 3 is just around the corner...

I hope it's a success I really do, but I can't help but be a bit sceptical about it all? What do you guys think?

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Nintendo's not going to fail miserably this generation, with or without a winning online strategy. They're dipping their toes in the water now, and next gen maybe they'll be ready to take the plunge, but I don't think it's a matter of hit-or-miss. It's just a matter of time.

Posted by Dexter

Won't work as well as the 360. Achievements and such are addicting and people are having trouble playing games these days unless they're earning them. I think it'll work fine for me, but I imagine they'll be problems. Hard to tell right now. The next 2 months will be big on this matter.

Quoted post: They're dipping their toes in the water now

That's what I said back in 2001, when the Game Cube was doing some dipping with that Fantasy Star Online whatever.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

PHantasy!!!

edit: also, friend codes are bad, but at least we get VoIP now.

Posted by Speedfreak

I am positive it will not lose $4 billion dollars, will never have a monthly fee and will achieve greater penetration than 10%. In those respects it will be much more successful than Xbox Live.

[quote=Dexter;583060]Won't work as well as the 360. Achievements and such are addicting and people are having trouble playing games these days unless they're earning them. I think it'll work fine for me, but I imagine they'll be problems. Hard to tell right now. The next 2 months will be big on this matter.

That's what I said back in 2001, when the Game Cube was doing some dipping with that Fantasy Star Online whatever.

Achievment points are hardly an online feature.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Speedfreak;583085]I am positive it will not lose $4 billion dollars, will never have a monthly fee and will achieve greater penetration than 10%. In those respects it will be much more successful than Xbox Live.
Gimme a break. Nintendo WiFi Connection will be more successful than XBox Live? Not with game-specific Friend Codes, a lack of decent communication facilities, and the fact Nintendo are withholding WFC code from 3rd parties until 2008. If you think people are going to choose inputting 12-digit codes into their Wii to play a game (with their friends, remember - people you meet online can't be added), rather than using the services offered by XBox Live and even PS3Home, you're seriously out of touch.

Posted by Random

I think over the course of years Nintendo's online ability will grow more and more. For the next couple years, I believe it'll fail miserably, but it'll be a launching pad for either the Wii down the road or future Nintendo gaming consoles.

However, I doubt we'll see Nintendo's online gaming reach a mass like XBox Live.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=The X;583144]Gimme a break. Nintendo WiFi Connection will be more successful than XBox Live? Not with game-specific Friend Codes, a lack of decent communication facilities, and the fact Nintendo are withholding WFC code from 3rd parties until 2008. If you think people are going to choose inputting 12-digit codes into their Wii to play a game (with their friends, remember - people you meet online can't be added), rather than using the services offered by XBox Live and even PS3Home, you're seriously out of touch.

[quote=Random;583154]However, I doubt we'll see Nintendo's online gaming reach a mass like XBox Live.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but NWFC has had more unique connections on DS than Xbox live has Gold accounts.

Funny thing is, you're out of touch for not realising that non-gamers don't want to have anything to do with "set up an account", trash talking or Halo 3. Wii isn't 360, you aren't Nintendo's only child and you are not their sole focus. The system is designed to appeal to more than just your incredibly small demographic.

Whoever said Nintendo are only dipping their toes into online are pretty far off the mark. I mean, they only designed Wii around the concept of connecting online and lthrottled back it's processing power (and thus power consumption) accordingly. It's the only system that connects with Wi-Fi out of the box as a standard SKU, it's the only system that stays connected while in standby mode and the entire operating system is designed to be updated often via downloads.
There is a lot more to online than multiplayer, it never ceases to amaze me how often people ignore Nintendo when they say this, and then ask questions about how they're going to beat Xbox Live when that clearly was never their intention from the start. If you want answers from Nintendo then try listening to them in the first d[COLOR=lightgreen]a[/COLOR]mn place.

Realise right now that NWFC will never, and was never supposed to be greater than or equal to Xbox Live. The sooner you people stop b[COLOR=lightgreen]i[/COLOR]tching about something that really isn't important the better. You don't see anyone whining and whining about how 360 doesn't have any next-gen control system, cheaper games or free online play, they accept the system for what it is and not what it isn't.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Of course it will work... it's free. It'll suck, and chances are be fairly limited, but it's free. So who cares.

Posted by SuperSoupy

whuzzat? free?! well i didnt know that. Yea i suppose itll work out in that sense then. Still, the whole friend codes thing sounds like a bit of a turn off.

Posted by TyphoidKitten

Quoting Speedfreak: Sorry to burst your bubble, but NWFC has had more unique connections on DS than Xbox live has Gold accounts.

Funny thing is, you're out of touch for not realising that non-gamers don't want to have anything to do with "set up an account", trash talking or Halo 3. Wii isn't 360, you aren't Nintendo's only child and you are not their sole focus. The system is designed to appeal to more than just your incredibly small demographic.

Whoever said Nintendo are only dipping their toes into online are pretty far off the mark. I mean, they only designed Wii around the concept of connecting online and lthrottled back it's processing power (and thus power consumption) accordingly. It's the only system that connects with Wi-Fi out of the box as a standard SKU, it's the only system that stays connected while in standby mode and the entire operating system is designed to be updated often via downloads.
There is a lot more to online than multiplayer, it never ceases to amaze me how often people ignore Nintendo when they say this, and then ask questions about how they're going to beat Xbox Live when that clearly was never their intention from the start. If you want answers from Nintendo then try listening to them in the first d[COLOR=lightgreen]a[/COLOR]mn place.

Realise right now that NWFC will never, and was never supposed to be greater than or equal to Xbox Live. The sooner you people stop b[COLOR=lightgreen]i[/COLOR]tching about something that really isn't important the better. You don't see anyone whining and whining about how 360 doesn't have any next-gen control system, cheaper games or free online play, they accept the system for what it is and not what it isn't.

When people say online they only need multiplayer i mean if you want to see a wheather forecast get a newspaper. The only reason people like online play is so they can head shot you from across the map while sticking a guy running at you and then bashing some guy from behind to get a triple kill and the wii just doesnt do that.