POTC 3 sucks

Posted by Bebop

What the hell? Seriously. What the hell? After tarnishing the POTC name with Dead Man's Chest you would have thought they had learned their lesson. Bad news: they havent.

1>Why is Chow Yung Fat even in this? He's insignificent and there for 4 mintues. Tops.
2> Why do people give Knightly and Bloom roles? They aren't even good enough to do panto.
3>No idea what was going on. I was convinced the technician had laced the reels in the worng order. Turns out the start is supposed to feel like you've walked in during the middle of something, and that nothing is supposed to make sense.
4>Takes things too far. Squid man is in love with black women who is secretly AN ANCIENT ALL POWERUL SEA *** Barbussa wedding Elizabeth and William IN THE MIDDLE OF A HUGE FIGHT ON A SHIP THAT IS GOING DOWN A WHIRPOOL. Jack Sparrow MAKING A PARACHUTE.

Posted by maian

lol

I was gonna see the premiere, but today was the absolute worst day that the premiere could've been on. No other day could've been worse than this.

Needless to say, there goes half my incentive to see it. Just the fun of a pirate premiere was my incentive. >_> That being said, I'll probably see it tomorrow. I think I'm in for a lol. =/ POTC was awesome, and Dead Man's Chest sucked. I'm expecting nothing more from this one.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

After 2 I didn't expect much from the third... which is why I didn't go today. Apparently it's convoluted as hell though.

Posted by Tiptoegecko

See I have to disagree. Why you all hate 2, is something beyond me. I thought it was great, and the 3rd was even better. I'm happy they took the time to explain everything, so by the end of the movie, everything made sense. And if you couldn't keep up with it, then you pretty retarded, because it wasn't confusing at all. The action was amazing, the SFX was amazing, and the finale battle was amazing. The only problem I have with this movie is Bloom and Knightly. Why are they actors? Why do people hire them?

But either way, it was still an awesome movie and I enjoyed it from start to finish.

Posted by Zeta

[quote]Why you all hate 2, is something beyond me.

Cliffhanger ending is cliffhanger.

Posted by Roger Smith

I rather enjoyed 3. Make a hate thread about how Superman Returns sucked plz.

Posted by Tiptoegecko

Quoting Zeta: Cliffhanger ending is cliffhanger.

That's the dumbest ****ing reason to hate a movie.

And I thought Superman Returns was ok, not bad enough to make a hate thread. Now Spiderman 3 on the other hand, that deserves its own hate thread

Posted by Roger Smith

Oi, you got it backwards.

Posted by maian

I saw it, and I came out a lot more satisfied than I thought. It wasn't fantastic, but it wasn't bad. I can't really explain why, but for some reason, it had more of the feel of POTC1. Maybe it was because thewy actually had something to work with rather than "That movie sold well! Let's make a sequel, and better yet, make up a bunch of new crap because we completely closed off the first one!"

After having something from 2 to work with, it seemed a lot more structured than the previous. I could hate lot more for so many parts being so ridiculously mind blowingly fake (ie, that entire final battle), but that's just what the series has turned into. Look past all the uh, epicness, and it's not bad.

Overall, it was far, far better than the second, (And the scenes were actually necessary, no thirty minute long cannibal scenes!) but still can't match up to the first. It was a good ending to a trilogy, but a fourth shouldn't be attempted, not in my opinion.

Speaking of which, are they making a fourth? ;| Do they have to sign a contract or something? It seems like they left it open.

Posted by Tiptoegecko

Quoting maian: Speaking of which, are they making a fourth? ;| Do they have to sign a contract or something? It seems like they left it open.

Johnny Depp said he wants to do one. I mean, they did stage it so they could. And I'm pretty sure they are

Posted by maian

Eh. They didn't set up a fourth, but they left it open nonetheless. I'd have mixed feelings about that. If anything, it'd be about the Fountain of Youth, of course. It just seems like they'd have to spawn a whole new amount of crazy story to do it.

Posted by Tiptoegecko

Quoting maian: Eh. They didn't set up a fourth

Uhhh....The Fountain of Youth trigger anything? It's obviously going to be about finding it.

I mean, they only dedicated about 10 min (tops, idk how long) saying what they are going to do next, the stage is set for the 4th

Posted by Arcadios

At the end of the credits it shows Elizabeth and her child looking into the sea ten years later, green light appears on sunset, Will comes back.

I'd give it a 8 outta 10.

Posted by Tiptoegecko

Quoting Arcadios: At the end of the credits it shows Elizabeth and her child looking into the sea ten years later, green light appears on sunset, Will comes back.

Oh sh!t really? That's awesome.

Wait her child?....when did Will and Elizabeth get busy?....

Posted by maian

Yeah, I saw that. Nothing really worth waiting for.

Anyway, maybe I'm phrasing things wrong. ;| I meant they're leaving it open for a fourth by doing the Fountain of Youth, but they're not setting it up for a fourth. By ending this, one can think that Jack and fellow Pirates pursued that, or they'll just make yet another movie.

Quoted post: That's the dumbest ****ing reason to hate a movie.

It's a prefect reason. Cliffhangers are ****ing terrible ways to end movies. If the third act of a movie is bad, it drags the rest of the acts down with it. Simple as that.

Posted by S

Quoting Bebop: What the hell? Seriously. What the hell? After tarnishing the POTC name with Dead Man's Chest you would have thought they had learned their lesson. Bad news: they havent.

1>Why is Chow Yung Fat even in this? He's insignificent and there for 4 mintues. Tops.
2> Why do people give Knightly and Bloom roles? They aren't even good enough to do panto.
3>No idea what was going on. I was convinced the technician had laced the reels in the worng order. Turns out the start is supposed to feel like you've walked in during the middle of something, and that nothing is supposed to make sense.
4>Takes things too far. Squid man is in love with black women who is secretly AN ANCIENT ALL POWERUL SEA *** Barbussa wedding Elizabeth and William IN THE MIDDLE OF A HUGE FIGHT ON A SHIP THAT IS GOING DOWN A WHIRPOOL. Jack Sparrow MAKING A PARACHUTE.

1: Important actors with important roles = Good movie? Important actors with not-so-important roles = Bad movie? God forbid anyone ever hands you a story to critique.
2: Because they were in the first, which you inferred actually had some substance to it, in your opinion. You wouldn't have used the word tarnished otherwise.
3: Seems to be a personal problem. I didn't have any trouble following what was happening and neither did anyone that was with me.
4: F-i-c-t-i-o-n. Did you have a problem believing the Fountain of Youth part too? How about the gigantic Kraken... or maybe a squid-faced demon-pirate? Or what about undead pirates and an undead monkey?

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: It's a prefect reason. Cliffhangers are ****ing terrible ways to end movies. If the third act of a movie is bad, it drags the rest of the acts down with it. Simple as that.

Proof: Some trilogies fail at closing together a good ending when the second movie is a cliffhanger.
Proof: This trilogy has a cliffhanger in the second movie.
Conclusion: This trilogy must fail at closing together a good ending because it has a cliffhanger in the second movie.

Woo, ain't that a brilliant train of thought?

Posted by Ant

I LIKED IT!

Quoted post: Proof: Some trilogies fail at closing together a good ending when the second movie is a cliffhanger.
Proof: This trilogy has a cliffhanger in the second movie.
Conclusion: This trilogy must fail at closing together a good ending because it has a cliffhanger in the second movie.

It's cute how you completely missed my entire point.

Posted by Bebop

For all of you people who actually enjoyed this film, something is seriously wrong with you. Either you need your head checked or have a serious bad taste in films and considering which members here hate or love it I'm going to go with both.

Posted by S

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: It's cute how you completely missed my entire point.

It's cute how you still don't even understand my point. You rule out an entire plot-tool as being bad by basing it on movies that have failed at it. Judge something by its own merit, not a concept by the merit of limited specifics.

Posted by Bebop

If anyone can explain to me what was happening in this incohrent jumbled mess I'll eat my hat.

Oh and the battles were complete ****. Did they even get a coreogropher in or were the film makers content with having the pirates swordfight like infants with sticks?

Quoted post: It's cute how you still don't even understand my point. You rule out an entire plot-tool as being bad by basing it on movies that have failed at it. Judge something by its own merit, not a concept by the merit of limited specifics.

Except, you know, I wasn't talking trash about the entire series because of DMC. Instead, I was saying the second movie was bad because it's third act was a terrible let down. So, yeah, I guess I was judging it by its own merit.
Cliffhangers just aren't a good way to end things, unless the continuation is right around the corner. Each movie should, in its own way, be its own movie with a beginning, middle and conclusion, because typically the next installment won't be around for another year or more. It's not satisfying when it feels like you were only given part of the movie and made even worse when you know the continuation of said movie is a long way off. It's just not a satisfying experience.

That, and most cliffhangers scream "CASH-IN SEQUEL"

Posted by Bebop

I don't mind cliffhangers when there are good or needed like say in Star Wars (although they more open ended than cliffhangers) but for Pirates it just a bad cash in. Vamp has it spot on. Dead Mans Chest was esstionally a long *** teaser trailer for the 3rd.

Posted by S

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: It's a prefect reason. Cliffhangers are ****ing terrible ways to end movies. If the third act of a movie is bad, it drags the rest of the acts down with it. Simple as that.

General vs:

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Except, you know, I wasn't talking trash about the entire series because of DMC. Instead, I was saying the second movie was bad because it's third act was a terrible let down. So, yeah, I guess I was judging it by its own merit.

Specific. So no, you actually weren't talking trash about the series - rather the concept in general, which is what I disputed.

[quote]Cliffhangers just aren't a good way to end things, unless the continuation is right around the corner. Each movie should, in its own way, be its own movie with a beginning, middle and conclusion, because typically the next installment won't be around for another year or more. It's not satisfying when it feels like you were only given part of the movie and made even worse when you know the continuation of said movie is a long way off. It's just not a satisfying experience.

That, and most cliffhangers scream "CASH-IN SEQUEL"

From a business perspective or a writer's perspective, this is actually a pretty smart move. The sales will still be high, and the author doesn't have to shorten as much, or fabricate part of the story to satisfy the viewers who are driven by Id-esque desires. And I believe you're speaking for yourself when you begin with the word "feels", being that you're only speaking off of your own empircal evidense when the word "feel" is brought into the mix. You fail to mention that it also piques curiosity as to what happens and leaves you unsatisfied in some ways, yes, but drives you to see that third movie if executed well - which is what they want.

Quoted post: Specific. So no, you actually weren't talking trash about the series - rather the concept in general, which is what I disputed.

This thread is about Pirates, that was my main example. Didn't think I had to explain that. But what I said stands. Cliffhangers for movies are bad. Unanswered questions are fine, abrupt endings are not. Each movie should be contained, a certain vagueness and slight open-endedness is welcome in some situations, but it should never feel like a movie is only half there. DMC felt exactly like that. As for the concept in general, well, it's generally not good. Most ooze of, as I said, cashing in. A movie should have a satisfying ending, cliffhangers are never satisfying, and a dissatisfying ending is typically a dissatisfying film.

Anywho, couldn't give a **** about the business side. But Pirates is the type of movie that doesn't need a cliffhanger. Your interesting does not need to be piqued, nor do you need any other reason to drive you to see it. Because it's Pirates... and you're going to see it either way. And if you're not, well, you probably don't like the movies anyways. That, and the movie should be good on "its own merits" not because the last movie left you without a proper conclusion and you want to see how it ends.

and now I've stopped caring about the argument.

Posted by Proto Man

If they DO make a fourth film, they need to lose Bloom, and possibly Knightly. Also, so what if they make up stuff? What else are they supposed to do? Remember "Luke I am your father."? Or how about the Star Wars prequels?

Anyways, I saw the very first showing. I thought it was really good, although I admit that it got confusing in the middle. What with all the double crossing and all.

Posted by Mystic Hero

To me it would seem very stupid if they keep continuing Pirates. I mean the more you drag out a series the worse it seems to get. Don't get me wrong, the third one wasn't bad. I enjoyed it more than the second, which was a disgrace. However, if they choose to keep extending the series it will grow old. The first one was fantastic because it left the ending to your imagination. You could do whatever you wanted with that ending. I thought it had a nice touch. The ending of the third one had that feel to it also. A nice conclusion if you will, even though it left many things open for more movies. An extension will be too much. I can't possibly see what rediculous thing they might pull out of their hat to try and tie the story to the Fountain of Youth, but I have a feeling it will be bad if they do.

All right, so that **** after the credits... wow. Lame. So lame.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Proto Man: If they DO make a fourth film, they need to lose Bloom, and possibly Knightly. Also, so what if they make up stuff? What else are they supposed to do? Remember "Luke I am your father."? Or how about the Star Wars prequels?

Anyways, I saw the very first showing. I thought it was really good, although I admit that it got confusing in the middle. What with all the double crossing and all.

If they do a 4th one Bloom said he wouldn't be interested.

Posted by Alastor

Quoting Proto Man: Remember "Luke I am your father."?

It was actually, "No, I am your father."

[/ubernerd]

Posted by Tiptoegecko

Quoting Bebop: If they do a 4th one Bloom said he wouldn't be interested.

They dont need him or Knightly if they do a 4th one, which everyone here has to agree would be a good thing if they did do #4

Posted by Bebop

And if he's not interested it means he wouldn't be in one what? lol

Posted by Xero

Quoting Proto Man: If they DO make a fourth film, they need to lose Bloom, and possibly Knightly.

I heard many times that the 3rd PotC was suppose to be the last movie of the saga. If they make a 4th one, chances are that the story will suck. "They" have to know when to stop.

I didn't think Bloom was a bad actor in the 2 first movies, but Keira definitely annoys me. I just can't stand her...

Quoted post: If they make a 4th one, chances are that the story will suck.

The story already sucks. But, the series makes a ridiculous amount of money. They can't leave that kind of cash just sitting on the table.

Posted by Alastor

A fourth would rake in a ton just from people who just want to see how bad it sucks, let alone the fans. :s

Posted by Oforia

I liked the movie. It had a lot of action, etc. The story line was stupid, but it was still fun to watch.

Posted by Pit

Quoting Alastor: A fourth would rake in a ton just from people who just want to see how bad it sucks, let alone the fans. :s

what makes you think a fourth would make that much money when the second and third sucked?

Posted by Oforia

Quoting Pit: what makes you think a fourth would make that much money when the second and third sucked?

Because there is a ****load of people out there who don't know what makes a good movie, and POTC3 is immediately going on their favorites list. If they make a 4th one, people will still see it.

Posted by Alastor

Quoting Mixman: Because there is a ****load of people out there who don't know what makes a good movie, and POTC3 is immediately going on their favorites list. If they make a 4th one, people will still see it.

Exactly. That was almost rhetorical.

Posted by Pit

Quoting Mixman: Because there is a ****load of people out there who don't know what makes a good movie, and POTC3 is immediately going on their favorites list. If they make a 4th one, people will still see it.

I would think 3 made money for this reason:

Pirates 1 was awesome. Set up for a good trilogy
Pirates 2 starts pretty good, and towards the middle it all goes down the drain and has a cliffhanger ending.

Now people are like "man, second sucked, but 3 is gonna kick ***"
Or like "man, second sucked, and 3 is gonna suck, but wanna see it cause I wanna see how it ends"

I mean, people already had bad experiences back to back with Pirates 2 and 3, what makes you think they'll do it again for 4?

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Pit: what makes you think a fourth would make that much money when the second and third sucked?

Because the 2nd sucked and people STILL paid to see the 3rd lol wut

Posted by Alastor

People are stupid. Some people who hated 2 or 3 will see it just out of curiosity to see if it turns out any better or worse than those did. You can't honestly be trying to tell me everyone hated 2 and 3, and that therefore everyone would skip out on 4. There are hundreds of thousands of people who loved both of those and would still see a fourth. It would rake in a ****load of money, regardless of whether or not a few people disliked it. It might not make as much as any of the first 3, but I have no doubt Disney would turn a profit from it.

edit: bebop ninja

Posted by Oforia

Quoting Pit: I would think 3 made money for this reason:

Pirates 1 was awesome. Set up for a good trilogy
Pirates 2 starts pretty good, and towards the middle it all goes down the drain and has a cliffhanger ending.

Now people are like "man, second sucked, but 3 is gonna kick ***"
Or like "man, second sucked, and 3 is gonna suck, but wanna see it cause I wanna see how it ends"

I mean, people already had bad experiences back to back with Pirates 2 and 3, what makes you think they'll do it again for 4?

Because not everyone thinks the third one sucked. A bunch of people who like epic action films that make them have cold chills when something completely ridiculous happens on screen think that the third movie was the best one because of all the action. Also, it is one of the highest selling series of all time. What makes you think people won't see the fourth one for the hell of it? Most of the time there is nothing worth seeing in the theaters, and when you want to go out with friends, or family, and see a movie, POT4 will definitely be at the top of many people's lists. No matter how ****ty it really is.

Posted by Skitzo Control

Hey, it's like Snakes on a Plane! People actually go see it just to see how awful it really is!

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Skitzo Control: Hey, it's like Snakes on a Plane! People actually go see it just to see how awful it really is!

Shut your mouth. Shut your ******* ****ING MOUTH.

Are we talking about the same people that go to see every horror movie that comes out, all of which are absolutely terrible, yet still manage to debut and stay at number one for a few weeks? Yeah, people don't know what's good and not good, as made apparent by a lot of people (not on the internets) liking Pirates 3.

Posted by Ant

goooooooood movie.

Posted by Dexter

Best part was after they went over the waterfall and it went dark and you heard all the voices around you. It was so much like the ride. I was so disappointed after the film when I brought that part up and no one noticed it. People are missing out on this films best material, I say.

Posted by Alastor

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Are we talking about the same people that go to see every horror movie that comes out, all of which are absolutely terrible, yet still manage to debut and stay at number one for a few weeks? Yeah, people don't know what's good and not good, as made apparent by a lot of people (not on the internets) liking Pirates 3.

Y HALO THAR, DISTURBIA!

Posted by Oforia

Like I said before, I liked the film. I can see how it wasn't that great, but it was still enjoyable. Spiderman 3 was a lot more disappointing for a sequel in my opinion.

Posted by Bebop

Spiderman 3 is better than POTC3 because it had less plot holes, better acting, better story, better direction, better action scenes, better special effects, no Keira Nightly, no Oranldo Bloom, Venom and Bruce Cambell.

Posted by Oforia

and emoness :*(

Posted by Bebop

Pirates was more depressing than Spiderman could ever be

Just learnt filming for Pirates 3 started without a compltely script. Goodness.

Posted by Dexter

Remember the line about Jack when that sailor dude said something like 'you think he has it all planned or do you think he makes it up as he goes along?' The films always felt that way to me, as if they were making it up as they went along, which strongly reflects Jack's character. I believe that is how it was meant to be. I always enjoyed that aspect about the films, too. It reminds me of the days when I used to play with action figures and I'd just start messin' around and come up with a completely ridiculous and often times entertaining story/idea. That's part of the film's charm. People are missing the points.

Posted by Bebop

You think that they intentionally went ahead with a budget of 200 million and a half finished script just so they could do some petty symbolism as "it reflects his character"? Come on Dexter you're smarter than that.

Posted by Roger Smith

The movie must've done something right if it got all of you talking about it.

Posted by MottaTheHutt

I thought it was decent.

Did anyone else think when Elizabeth says "I don't think now is the best time," during the wedding scene was terrible acting? Of course, the wedding scene was pretty ridiculous overall.

Posted by Tiptoegecko

Quoting Skitzo Control: Hey, it's like Snakes on a Plane! People actually go see it just to see how awful it really is!

And it turned out to be a decent movie. So HA!

Posted by S

Quoting Bebop: You think that they intentionally went ahead with a budget of 200 million and a half finished script just so they could do some petty symbolism as "it reflects his character"? Come on Dexter you're smarter than that.

Swing and a miss.

Posted by Klarth

a fun campy pirate romp has suddenly turned into a weird epic fantasy adventure bull**** cluster****.

sad

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Roger Smith: The movie must've done something right if it got all of you talking about it.

LOL YOURE RIGHT BECAUSE PEOPLE ONLY MAKE FILMS TO HAVE PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IT. ITS NOT LIKE THEY MAKE FILMS FOR PEOPLE TO ENJOY HA HA HA HA IMAGINE THAT THE FIRST PRIORITY FOR A FILMMAKER IS TO GET PEOPLE TO ENJOY THE FILM WHAT A CRAZY IDEA HA HA LOLSNGJDNSG

Shut up.

Posted by Klarth

STALIN DID SOMETHING RIGHT, HE HAD ALL OF THOSE PEOPLE IN THE GULAGS TALKING ABOUT HIM!

Posted by Skitzo Control

[quote=Tiptoegecko;585190]And it turned out to be a decent movie. So HA!Snakes? It was awful. It's worse than The Rocky Horror Picture Show. It's all a matter of seeing it with the right crowd.

Posted by Roger Smith

Quoting Bebop: LOL YOURE RIGHT BECAUSE PEOPLE ONLY MAKE FILMS TO HAVE PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IT. ITS NOT LIKE THEY MAKE FILMS FOR PEOPLE TO ENJOY HA HA HA HA IMAGINE THAT THE FIRST PRIORITY FOR A FILMMAKER IS TO GET PEOPLE TO ENJOY THE FILM WHAT A CRAZY IDEA HA HA LOLSNGJDNSG

They got you good.

Posted by Arcadios

What I disliked most is how the Kraken had a big role in 2 but in 3 it was reduced to nothing.

Posted by Roger Smith

Becket had to make sure Jones wouldn't use it against him.

Quoted post: What I disliked most is how the Kraken had a big role in 2 but in 3 it was reduced to nothing.

I wouldn't call its role big.

Posted by Shade

Quoting Alastor: Y HALO THAR, DISTURBIA!

**** you. I liked Disturbia.

Disturbia wasn't that bad. Wasn't good, but wasn't as bad as recent horror/thriller movies.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Whatever, I'm still going to see this in a few days. Even if the story is lacking, Bloom and Depp on huge screen? I'm not complaining.

Although I did have trouble sitting through Kingdom of Heaven.

Posted by Roger Smith

I'll laugh when someone says they won't go and see it cuz of this thread.

Fight the power Lisawangz.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Roger Smith: They got you good

Ok, you've clearly proven you're grasp on anything media related has sunken further so I'll put this into one sentence with small words so you can understand: FILM MAKERS DO NOT MAKE FILMS TO BE 'TALKED ABOUT'. THEY DO IT TO MAKE GOOD FILMS AND/OR MAKE MONEY. IF A FILM MAKER MAKES A BAD FILM THEY DO NOT WANT IT BEING TALKED ABOUT. THERFOR 'BEING TALKED ABOUT' IS ONLY A CONCERN TO THEM WHEN THEY MAKE A GOOD FILM, NOT WHEN PEOPLE ARE DISCUSSING HOW BAD IT IS.

Does that make sense to you?

Posted by Ant

what's that have to do with what you quoted him about?

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Ant: what's that have to do with what you quoted him about?

I have no idea what you are talking about

Quoted post: what's that have to do with what you quoted him about?

Roger said the movie must be good to have him talking. He replied, Roger replied, and Bebop replied back. That's what.

Posted by Ant

Quoting Roger Smith: Becket had to make sure Jones wouldn't use it against him.

this is what he accidentally quoted before.

Yeah, he is pretty stupid like that.

Posted by Bebop

Vamp is stupid >:3

Can't help it. I've lived in Canada for too long.

Posted by Bebop

Wolverine is Canadian and he isn't stupid.

Posted by Roger Smith

No, he has ****ing claws coming out of his ****ing hands and an unbreakable skeleton.

Good point.

Posted by Nihilus

Well since you guys liked part 2 so much I thought you might like to know it got movie of the year last night at the MTV movie awards....And Johny Depp gives the worst acceptance speaches ever. Uh, I dont know what to say, uh, thank you? theres a good start *******.

Quoted post: And Johny Depp gives the worst acceptance speaches ever. Uh, I dont know what to say, uh, thank you?

He could just go up there, say **** you and flip everyone off and they'd all still love him. Who cares.

Posted by Ant

Now that would be funny.

Posted by Arcadios

Quoting Tragically Hip: Well since you guys liked part 2 so much I thought you might like to know it got movie of the year last night at the MTV movie awards.

MTV dosen't deserve to give out awards.

Posted by Zeta

MTV doesn't deserve that M in its name.

Posted by Ant

Quoting Arcadios: MTV dosen't deserve to give out awards.

How does one obtain the right to give out awards? Anyone can give out whatever the f[COLOR="Lime"]u[/COLOR]ck they want.

Quoted post: MTV doesn't deserve that M in its name.

Unless the M stands for Media.

Posted by Bebop

Jack Sparrow is overrated. Even when the first film came out I couldnt understand why guys were springy rubbery ones over this character. Yeh he was cool and pretty funny, but not that funny.

Posted by veritas

they're just gonna make 20 more potc movies and make it old just like spiderman is doing right now.

Posted by Bebop

Shut up.

Posted by temari

okay, was it just me or did it seem like it was left open for a third? also, why the hell is elizabeth the pirate king? i saw the movie just got a little bored of it and lost intrest, the only part i really listened to was when jack was in davy jones locker and they were coming back.

Posted by Dexter

That was the third. But yeah, they could make a fourth. I doubt they will, and if they do, I doubt Gore will be behind the camera.

Posted by Nihilus

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: He could just go up there, say **** you and flip everyone off and they'd all still love him. Who cares.

I just find it funny that a guy that couldn't even pass high school speach class can be such a huge actor.

Posted by Dexter

I don't find that funny at all. High School is lame. You don't need to succeed in High School to succeed in life.

Posted by Ant

the horrible spelling in the thread title is hilarious.

Posted by Bebop

"POTC 3 sucks" was a much more appropiate and accurate thread title anyway.

annnnnd changed back.

Posted by Tiptoegecko

Quoting The Sniper: they're just gonna make 20 more potc movies and make it old just like spiderman is doing right now.

Win

Posted by Dexter

Sequels are supposed to take what the previous film contained and build upon it. The more radically they build upon it the better, I say. If they're going to do it again do it again extremely. They build the fantasy aspects up into epic proportions. In this regard they succeeded. Just because people didn't appreciate its style doesn't mean that it is a bad film. It was an exceptionally well made film from a technical point. People just didn't want it so extreme, so unreal.

Posted by Bebop

Thats what I hated about the sequels. I mean, a sea ***? So stupid. So out of tone with the film. You went from a fantasy film where you could suspend your beleif to magical pirate wizards and sea ***desses. Poor.

Posted by Arwon

Normally I have some great analytical spiel about the movies I see, but in this case, I'll just say that the movie was bullsh*t and I liked the second one. A bunch of "wouldn't it be cool" CG scenes and an occasional tolerable moment of movie, linked together by poorly plotted deus ex machinas, moments of cynically constructed pathos, and terribly ham-fisted attempts at humourjokes. I think if the writers were less confused the movie might have had some sort of coherence, but it was a bombastic, underwhelming mess. Geoffrey Rush stole the show, while I learned that there is such a thing as too much Johnny Depp. The whole thing felt cheap and manipulative, and I was sick of the ride on the SS Make Random Sh*t Up about the time they started blathering on about Calypso.

Posted by Tiptoegecko

Quoting Bebop: Thats what I hated about the sequels. I mean, a sea ***? So stupid. So out of tone with the film. You went from a fantasy film where you could suspend your beleif to magical pirate wizards and sea ***desses. Poor.

I agree the sea *** was ****ing stupid, but she atleast had one purpose: the cause of the whirlpool for the awesome finale fight. Other wise should could go rot in a hole somewhere

Posted by Bebop

The fight scene was not awesome. Only Pirates 3 could bore someone during an action scene.

Posted by Dexter

Agreed. I didn't care for the action scenes at all. What was supposed to be funny fights felt dull and dumb, even knowing it was targeted towards children. Perhaps too much? The action scenes in the first 2 were more interesting, but I really don't recall caring for those either.

Quoted post: Only Pirates 3 could bore someone during an action scene.

You know, that's sadly very true.

Posted by Omni

I saw it two nights ago. I was okay, but it was horribly incoherent at times and terribly over the top at parts like the wedding during the fight scene. Then again, I didn't pay and I went with this girl I know, so maybe that's why I enjoyed it.

Posted by Bebop

Did anyone actually know what the hell was going on? When we had a staff screening we became convined the technician laced the film reels up incorrectly because it was so confusing and incoherent.

Posted by S

Quoting Bebop: Did anyone actually know what the hell was going on? When we had a staff screening we became convined the technician laced the film reels up incorrectly because it was so confusing and incoherent.

Yep, I understood it. There were some unexplainables and some time-lapses in the beginning but besides that, I kept up pretty nicely.

Plot-holes. Pirates is filled him with.

Posted by SuperSoupy

kinda weird. the first film was a perfect mix of comic fun and serious action. The 2nd film I felt focused on more comic fun (hence Jack Sparrow's repeated poncy running). The 3rd film seemed to focus more on the serious action, lacking the comic set pieces that gave the first film its charm.

But I think they tied up the series quite nicely. Any story-basaed mistakes made in Dead Man's Chest seemed to be properly fixed, and the whole thing was nice to look at. Also, theres no reason to follow the exploits of Will Turner and Lizzy Swann anymore (then again there was no reason to do so at the end of the first film...but they still did it anyway :-(....)

Well...it was better than Spider-man 3! And it couldve done a lot worse!

Quoted post: kinda weird. the first film was a perfect mix of comic fun and serious action. The 2nd film I felt focused on more comic fun (hence Jack Sparrow's repeated poncy running). The 3rd film seemed to focus more on the serious action, lacking the comic set pieces that gave the first film its charm.

To me it seems like as the series went on they got less and less funny.

Posted by Bebop

Considering how *** awful Dead Mans Chest and At Worlds End were it's fair to say the enjoyment of the first installment was a complete accident.

I don't think so. The just got the formula right the first time and tried to do too much with the following sequels. They lost track of what made the first film such a success.

Posted by Bebop

Jesus Christ nevermind