USB VS. PS/2 Keyboards

Posted by Proto Man

So, which do you prefer? I actually prefer the old PS/2 keyboards myself. I don't really see ANY difference between them quality wise. They both perform the same functions, so why should I take up precious USB ports with a keyboard and mouse, when there are ports especially made for them? I mean I could see if they had a MAJOR advantage over the PS/2 stuff, but really they don't seem to. I think this is why all major motherboard manufacturers still put PS/2 ports on their motherboards.

Posted by Omni

I don't need a lot of USB ports, so I choose not to worry about this because I consider it trivial.

Posted by Trigger

You can always get a USB to PS/2 adapter if it's really necessary. I've failed to find a PS/2 wireless keyboard, hence the advantage and the gaming keyboard I use is USB, most likely due to the fact it uses more power to operate the screen built into it. Such a trivial thread you've got going here. Why did we stop using the 8-pin DIN connector for keyboards? I hardly see a difference in response times or quality...

Posted by PROF CHAOS

Picked USB for the same reasons that Trigger mentions. Also, my computer has 8 USB ports and I also have a USB hub.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Trigger: You can always get a USB to PS/2 adapter if it's really necessary. I've failed to find a PS/2 wireless keyboard, hence the advantage and the gaming keyboard I use is USB, most likely due to the fact it uses more power to operate the screen built into it. Such a trivial thread you've got going here. Why did we stop using the 8-pin DIN connector for keyboards? I hardly see a difference in response times or quality...

It's actually 5 pin DIN we used to use. As for why we don't use them anymore, well I don't know. Maybe it was because the AT connectors were larger. The PS/2 is quite a bit smaller than the AT connection. I agree though, I don't see much difference in that either as far as quality goes.

As for your use, yes I understand that gaming keyboards probably do need more juice and functionality, and USB can provide that. That's fine.

As for me, I am very bare bones. I prefer a 101-key to a 104-key board myself.

Quoted post: Such a trivial thread you've got going here.

Hey, I am hard core when it comes to this stuff. I find these things important. Whatever I can do to maximize production and functionality, I will do it.

Posted by Omni

Quoting Proto Man: Hey, I am hard core when it comes to this stuff. I find these things important. Whatever I can do to maximize production and functionality, I will do it.

Are you manufacturing keyboards or something? Maximize production, LOL...

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Pretty Hate Machine: Are you manufacturing keyboards or something? Maximize production, LOL...

I meant productivity. Couldn't think of the word till just now.

Posted by Trigger

[quote=Protoman]Hey, I am hard core when it comes to this stuff.
Very hardcore. :rolleyes:

Posted by Roger Smith

I like how everyone else has something important to say that pertains to the subject.

I use USB. Yeah that's pretty much it.