First Sonic game you ever played?

Posted by Corrupt

That's right, we all had to start somewhere. Whether you first played the original Sonic the Hedgehog, or started out late by playing Sonic Heroes, you can talk about it here. And also, if you want, feel free to post what your first experience with the Sonic games was like. If you can remember, anyway. :P

As for me, well... I was a Sonic fan from the beginning. I believe I was about 4 at the time, and my mom and I were at the mall, just checking some of the stores out and lounging around. Then, all of a sudden, I saw a big sign in the window of Kay-Bee toys, advertising the recent release of the Sega Genesis, and Sonic the Hedgehog. I remembered that I had seen a commercial on TV for the same game, and I was entranced by it. I kept watching Sonic move around the levels, and it all seemed so appealing... I knew from then on that I had to have it! After asking my mom if we could "go get Sonic" (at least that's what I think it was), she agreed, because she knew how much I wanted the game, and she thought I deserved it. So, from then on, my Sonic obsession began. Of course, I thought I was the coolest thing on the planet for having it, so I naturally had to tell everyone I knew about it. And quite a few of my friends were interested; I remember that me and my friends Brittney and Kenny had a blast taking turns playing the game a few nights after I got the Genesis. Even though I still played Super Mario Bros. 3, Metroid, Life Force, Contra, and all my other favorite games, Sonic the Hedgehog had usurped the title of "my favorite game," and it'd remain that way for a while.

That is, until Sonic 2 came out, and I then fell in love with Tails. :P But still, I still play the original Sonic games to this day (<3 Sonic Mega Collection), and also read a lot of my old Archie Sonic the Hedgehog comics. It's one series of games that stayed with me for a long time, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Praise be to Yuji Naka.

How about the rest of you?

Posted by CRAZY HANDS

ii first played sonic in the arcade....... It was great!!!!

Posted by dark_zero

I first played sonic 2 at my friends house I was 4 or 5 at the time(I'm 14 years old now
to give you some contrast) and I've played every console sonic game exept
sa2(I've played sa2b if you count them as the same game)

Posted by Raptor

I won't be able to respond to this without becoming tearfully sentimental. Fortunately, this is a time and place in which I do mind that at all.

I was maybe 9 or 10 when I got my first taste of Sonic. I was completely delirious, as well, lying around in my darkened bedroom early one Friday night, suffering a 103

Posted by Pit

Oh man, I remember this. My parents were seperated at the time and my father visited for Christmas. He bought me and my brother a Sega (original I think) a copy of Sonic the Hedgehog. I popped it in and man, it was the first platformer I played outside of Mario. The speed, graphics (at the time of course), and the music. Just like Raptor said, Green Hill Zone, my favorte Sonic game song out of the whole series of games. Later, I got into Sonic the Hedgehog 2 which was better than the first. With a new character, Tails, more moves, and secret stages, this game was fun. I played it for hours and hours.

But now... what has Sonic become? Adventure 1, 2, Heroes, and Shadow the Hedgehod? Sega has lost it's touch.

Posted by Linko_16

As I always am with games, books or movies, I'm a bit sore that I didn't start out with number one. However, I think in the case of the Sonic the Hedgehog series, it's not so bad to start with number two.

As a child, my parents had revoked all gaming rights because my twin brother got in a huff and threw things whenever he lost at some NES game. With this rule in effect, I'm astonished of how rich my videogame heritage ended up being anyway. Sonic the Hedgehog, for example, snuck into my life along with Samurai Shodown and Streets of Rage by way of my cousin's Genesis. We didn't get much activity with it, since my uncle lived on the other side of the country, but my brother and I were premitted to play like maniacs whenever we visited. I remember being fascinated by how adorable Tails was... I can relate to how Raptor wanted to hug his new hero! Even away from the Genesis, I tried to follow Sonic and Tails the way I did Mario, Mega Man, and all the other mascots that I'd been isolated from.

As previously stated, the genesis was only availible on trips to Ohio, so I couldn't really get into the games as much as I'd liked. It all changed, however, when my Nana decided that us rowdy kids needed an out-of-the-way distraction on weekly visits and looked up a neighborhood friend whose children we selling their Genesis. Their choice of games was small, but a family-owned rental store still had a small selection of Genesis releases. Forgotten and unpopular titles racked the shelves, but it was a gold mine to those who are in want of such things. I grew very fond of two that were repeatedly checked out: a Spider-Man game called Maximum Carnage and the unappreciated Sonic game known as Sonic 3-D Blast. This was the first videogame that I ever played obsessively, learned inside out and perfected. I was filled with rapture when the rental store had to put its Genesis games up for sale due to lack of activity, and I was able to call Sonic 3-D Blast my very own. I was filled with despair when my Nana unexpectedly sold the Genesis for a reason I'm not certain of. And, as you can imagine, rapture found me again with the announcement of the Sonic Mega Collection. I declare a Happy Ending... to be continued.

Posted by Project ShadowX

My first Sonic game was Sonic the Hedgehog 2. My uncle gave my his SEGA system along with other games because he got tired of it I guess.

Posted by Prince Redon

[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]I remember it like it was yesterday. I was walking around in Wal-Mart one day and I saw a game "The Ooze" and as a kid it looked really really good, so I went up and asked my father if I could get it, halfway not expecting to get it, but all he said was "You don't have a Sega Genesis, so you couldn't play it even if you did get it...So you know what that means..." He paused to make me think I wasn't getting anything, the he just kind of came out of no where and said "It means we must first buy a Sega Genesis and a few other games!" I then jumped what felt like at the time, 10 feet in the air. I got so excited and ran as fast as I could to the Sega case. (I looked like an idiot doing so though, because I was young, and I could read, but didn't quite know my way around Wal-Mart), so I ran full speed past the display case and then seen it at the spur of the moment. Well being a little kid I didn't even think about it, so I just tried to stop on the dot...Of course this resulted in me falling down and forward rolling into a shelf of CD's. Being a kid I didn't even think to stop and help pick them up or anything, so I just jumped up and ran back to the case. When I got there I quickly got the attention of a worker, (which the running into the CD's helped that a little) and I asked him to get the Sega, and started looking at the games. Being a kid he didn't take me seriously so he just asked "Where are your parents?" Finally my father walks up, and the employee tells him about my mishap with the CD's. So I had to help pick up the CD's first, then they would let me get the system...Well being as excited as I was, I quickly grabbed like 20 CD's and threw them in random places. After doing so with all the CD's, (which took like 30 seconds) I ran back to the case and the employee finally unlocked the case and removed the Sega. At that moment something caught my eye which kept slipping by before...There was a 5 foot Sonic standing next to the case.(Now I want that so bad.) As a kid this was very appealing. The look of Sonic was very attractive, it was an immediate must have. I then asked (pretty much yelling to get the Sonic game) so he got it too. I hassled my father until he finally got tired of it and paid for the items, and left the store. (As he paid for the stuff I was standing by the truck) After what felt as if it were hours later, my father got loaded the other crap we got, and my prized possession, we left and started home. On the way home it seemed that we caught every red light. Eventually we got home and I jumped over the side of the truck and climbed in back for a better view and threw all the groceries out of the way. Finally I found the Sega and ran in the house...Every since then I have been one of the biggest Sonic fans ever to live.

You must understand, I wasn't a brat as a kid, and I wasn't spoiled, I was very excited over a new toy I really really wanted, and I only got it because it had be released the following year or so, and it was cheaper than usual.

To answer your question it was Sonic 2...but I saw it fit to tell the story!;)

Edit: I asked my father and he said I didn't get it for the low price, but as a kid I had "The prettiest blue eyes ever", as I do at times now,(hazel). Luckily with those eyes I could easily give a puppy dog eyes look.
[/COLOR]

Posted by Sean Fury

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for the Genesis, I was so addicted to that game and I never beat it either...which really made me sad...I almost did, but then my little sister stepped on it (this was like 10 years ago) and she reseted it. =(

Posted by Prince Redon

Yeah, same thing happend to my cousin and I. We were in the middle of playing...I forget which one...and we where to the level with the airplane, to where you jump from wing to wing, and such, and my brother all the sudden wanted to take over for a while. It wouldn't have been so bad, but he sucked at Sonic, and I owned, so I said no, and he got mad and yanked the whole system off my dresser and it shut off, but luckily it didn't damage the system to bad.

Posted by FerreTrip

Sonic the Hedgehog 2, I do believe. I was addicted as soon as I heard that kickkin Emerald Hill tune!!

Posted by sodipop

Of course sonic the hedgehog thank *** my brother had so many games he let me play

Posted by Prince Redon

Quoting sodipop: Of course sonic the hedgehog thank *** my brother had so many games he let me play

[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Wait..What? Do you mean the original or what? He, that kind of confused me at first, I thought you might have read it, "What was the first game you ever played?"

It seems I have lost Sonic 2...That's right, you have no idea how crazy I got, but luckily I know where I can buy a fairly new one for cheap.
[/COLOR]

Posted by Iris

Sonic the Hedgehog for Sega Genesis...
Duh!

Posted by Jak Pattinson

pretty amazing. the first sonic game i played was the first one for sega megadrive. it was good stuff. i enjoyed green hill zone as opposed toi any of the others. twilight zone was also cool. i still have my game in a very good condition, and the original pakcaging and everything. its the only megadrvie game i bothered to preserve.

Posted by Prince Redon

How can you stand not ripping that open and playing it?! Or is it still in the shrink wrap?

Posted by Tails

It was a long time ago for me. Let me see... I think I was about 6 years old when I got my first Sonic game. It wasn't anything fancy, it was only a little pinball like game that I got at a gas station in Toledo Ohio. I still have it today. I played Sonic now and again but eventually it disappered from my life until Sonic Adventure 2: Battle came out. I was surprised that Sonic was still around! I borrowed the game from my friend, then I became hooked! I now try to collect every Sonic thing I see! Comics, games, toys, the works! Why even the other day, I saw a girl with a Sonic the Hedgehog 2 T-shirt and I wanted it SOO BAD! ...By the way... where DO you find those shirts?

Posted by earthadept_isaac

The first sonic game ive ever played was Sonic The Hedgehog for the Genisis. I was instintly hooked and played it for two days straight.

Posted by Prince Redon

Quoting Tails: It was a long time ago for me. Let me see... I think I was about 6 years old when I got my first Sonic game. It wasn't anything fancy, it was only a little pinball like game that I got at a gas station in Toledo Ohio. I still have it today. I played Sonic now and again but eventually it disappered from my life until Sonic Adventure 2: Battle came out. I was surprised that Sonic was still around! I borrowed the game from my friend, then I became hooked! I now try to collect every Sonic thing I see! Comics, games, toys, the works! Why even the other day, I saw a girl with a Sonic the Hedgehog 2 T-shirt and I wanted it SOO BAD! ...By the way... where DO you find those shirts?

[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Wait...Pinball type game? By that would you happen to mean Sonic Spinball?! (That game was really addicting for pinball!)
[/COLOR]

Posted by Corrupt

I especially loved the animation in Sonic Spinball... too bad that I really sucked at it :(

Posted by Prince Redon

LoL, yeah, I wasn't too good either Corrupt, but hey at least I was entertained!

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Sonic the Hedgehog for Sega Genesis.

Posted by Ant

Quoting Vampiro: Sonic the Hedgehog for Sega Genesis.

Ditto. I remember it well. I was 4 years old when and I got the Genesis for Christmas...and I remember that it was the last present I got and I was oh so happy. Played that baby right away and remember getting stuck on the Marble Hill Zone where you have to jump at that one part or else you are stuck...the part where the lava comes up...you know? But yeah, good times :D

Posted by Prince Redon

Ah yes, I remember that. It took me a while to get past that also, so don't worry your not alone.

Right now I'm stuck on Sonic again! I can't beat the final boss on Sonic Advanced, and my friend is stuck on the final boss on Sonic Advanced 2.

Posted by Tails

Quoting Prince Redon: [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Wait...Pinball type game? By that would you happen to mean Sonic Spinball?! (That game was really addicting for pinball!)
[/COLOR]

Something like that. I think it was called "Sonic Pocket Ball" or something like that. It was only $0.99 so...

Posted by Prince Redon

$0.99?! Wow, I would have bought 3 or 4 and either, handed them out for presents, or saved them back and sold them, either that or just keep them in case it messed up somehow.

Posted by Granseal

The first sonic game I ever played was Sonic the Hedgehog 2. I Remember playing it with my babysitter like it was yesterday, haha... But I fell in love with the game since then, and Now I have every sonic game ever made but Sonic Chaos for Sega Gamegear.

Posted by Prince Redon

I would own all of the ones ever made, but some of them are not even worth owning.

Posted by Granseal

That's very true, but I am a video game collector, I save up and go on ebay.

Posted by Prince Redon

Do you collect Sonic games, or just any video game you can get your hands on?

Which reminds me, yesturday I saw a Sonic set in a store nearby where I live, and it contained Sonic 1, 2, and 3, and a Sega Genesis. It was a great price, it was only $20.00, but I already have all of those in perfect condition, so I didn't get it.

Posted by CS Ryan

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Genesis)

Posted by Jo-Jo-The-Hedgie

How do u do signitures????????????/

Well this is my story.
My mum gave us her old sega still with the old sonic cartriges, we only had a few games though. Sonic the hedgehog was a great game i was like
"I cant beat this" then i didnt beat it. Then we played sonic the hedgehog and tails. what a waste no-one had their own private time when i played chelsey was tails. I was always tails when nathan played.

Next we kept on getting the games for gamecube, PS2 and gameboy SP. We now have about 10 sonic games
Sonic the hedgehog1, Sonic the hedgehog and tails, Sonic and knuckles, Dr robotnics bean machine, Sonic 3d, Song the hedgehog 3, Sonic Spin Ball, Sonic heroes, Sonic adventure 2 battle and sonic advanced 3.

So the first sonic game i played was Sonic the hedgehog.

Posted by Jo-Jo-The-Hedgie

Quoting Prince Redon: Ah yes, I remember that. It took me a while to get past that also, so don't worry your not alone.

Right now I'm stuck on Sonic again! I can't beat the final boss on Sonic Advanced, and my friend is stuck on the final boss on Sonic Advanced 2.

I beat the Boss on Sonic Advanced 3 myself!!!!!

Posted by The Prince of Persia

The first sonic game I played on was Sonic The Hedgehog 2 on the Megadrive.

Posted by fig roll

i remember playing sonic the hedgehog one on the old megadrive, me and my mates thought it was the best thing ever, we were really rubish at it and were happy to eventually get to marble zone 3 wich now seems really easy.
sonic games are the best, im not to sure about the newer ones though.

Posted by Alex_DX

The first sonic game I played was Sonic the hedgehog for SEGA Mega Drive in 1995