Hardware sales April/07

Posted by clearlytheman

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/789/789618p1.html

if not for the gamecube PS3 would have been dead last in sales. They beat the gamecube but let's face it not by much. When shouls Sony start to worry? or do they really have nothing to worry about?

Posted by Random

Quoting clearlytheman: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/789/789618p1.html

if not for the gamecube PS3 would have been dead last in sales. They beat the gamecube but let's face it not by much. When shouls Sony start to worry? or do they really have nothing to worry about?

NOT BY MUCH??? Thats more than 6x the amount.. Number wise it might not seem much, but percentage wise it killed the Gamecube. But of course that means nothing since they're rivaling the 360 and the Wii.

I expect Wii sales to stay higher for another month or two, then it'll drop a place or two. The 360 will win the holiday war I foresee.

Posted by Xero

Quoting clearlytheman: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/789/789618p1.html

They beat the gamecube but let's face it not by much. When shouls Sony start to worry? or do they really have nothing to worry about?

They probably have "PLAN B". If not, they probably gave up on the gaming domain. There's no pride in beating the GC. It's been out for a few years now and since the Wii came out, you can play GC games on that console. Of course the GC won't sell as much. Sony sucks.

Posted by clearlytheman

Quoting Random: NOT BY MUCH??? Thats more than 6x the amount.. Number wise it might not seem much, but percentage wise it killed the Gamecube. But of course that means nothing since they're rivaling the 360 and the Wii.

I expect Wii sales to stay higher for another month or two, then it'll drop a place or two. The 360 will win the holiday war I foresee.

The point I was trying to make was you have the gamecube which for all intensive purposes died long ago, and still sold 13000 units when the powerhouse that was to be the PS3 didnt even break the 100K mark I know it sold like 6x the amount now I am sure you see where I was going with that.

Posted by Dexter

I'm surprised at the sells of the Game Cube, since someone could pay 50 more dollars and get themselves a Wii, which includes the Game Cube. And the PS3 won it by quite a lot.

Posted by Arcadios

I'm surprised at DS and GBA sales but no surprise on PS3.

Posted by Xero

I'm mostly surprised about the GameBoy Advance. The games for that GB can be played on the DS. Why get a GBA when you can get two GBs in one? Ah well. That would have explained why the DS sold so much, but it isn't the case...

Posted by Big Boss

There has been no PS3 price decrease, and AAA PS3 games have yet to come out regularly, so I can imagine Sony is expecting underwhelming sales until then. On the other hand, I don't know if you guys noticed, but the PSP sold better than the 360, and two PS2 titles reached the last two spots of the top 10 (G[color=yellowgreen]od of War II, MLB 07: The Show) along with the 3rd place hardware.

Based on that there isn't an indication that Sony is anywhere near out of the gaming business. Also, consider the PS3 and Wii aren't even a year old yet, and consoles last about 5 years. Essentially, we haven't seen a fifth of the lifespan of these systems, so we're still at a "wait and see" period filled with nothing but predictions and assumptions. All we can say now is that Wii has had a great start, PS3 has had a sleepy start, and the 360 is doing well but could certainly do a lot better with its larger library. Halo 3 should move hardware sales come September, though.[/color]

Posted by Big Boss

Delete, please. Double post. :)

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Random;579330]The 360 will win the holiday war I foresee.

Against Mario (most popular franchise in the world ever and far more accessible than Halo), Smash Bros (Gamecube's most successful title, equal in sales to Halo) and Metroid (not as popular as the other two, but a good kicker) and the sheer momentum Wii has going for it right now I don't see an easy win for 360 at all. 360 never sold like this after 5 months.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Speedfreak: Against Mario (most popular franchise in the world ever and far more accessible than Halo), Smash Bros (Gamecube's most successful title, equal in sales to Halo) and Metroid (not as popular as the other two, but a good kicker) and the sheer momentum Wii has going for it right now I don't see an easy win for 360 at all. 360 never sold like this after 5 months.

Halo isn't alone. The most successful franchise of the last generation, Grand Theft Auto, will also see release on the 360 later this year.

Posted by Random

Quoting Speedfreak: Against Mario (most popular franchise in the world ever and far more accessible than Halo), Smash Bros (Gamecube's most successful title, equal in sales to Halo) and Metroid (not as popular as the other two, but a good kicker) and the sheer momentum Wii has going for it right now I don't see an easy win for 360 at all. 360 never sold like this after 5 months.

Ok you've got Mario, Smash Bro's, and Metroid vs Halo 3, GTA IV, Blue Dragon, Fable 2.. (Not to mention possibly Resident Evil 5, and Devil May Cry 4).

No... the Halo series blows out the Metroid series in sales, and console sales for releases by leaps and bounds.

Halo 2 has sold over 5 million copies-http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/7301/Halo-2-Sells-5-Million-Units/

Halo 1 sold over 3 million copies-http://www.macsoftgames.com/products/halo/MacSoft-Halo.html

Metroid Prime sold between 1 to 2 million copies-http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/7301/Halo-2-Sells-5-Million-Units/

Metroid Prime 2 sold less than Metroid Prime 1. I couldn't find exact numbers but IGN mentions how it was poorly outmatched by the prequel-http://cube.ign.com/articles/579/579600p1.html

Not to mention Microsoft sold about 3 Million consoles the day of Halo 2's release. If its anything like that for Halo 3, then i'm certain the 360 will take it.

Of course its too early to say and i'm not making any promises. I just speculate is all.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Nah. See, Speedy is right. The Wii is selling amazingly when there's no ****ing games to play on it. AND the console is still seeing shortages. The 360 will do great this holiday season without a doubt, but once Wii is freed up from supply constraints and Smash, Mario and Metroid hit (even if Metroid wasn't much of a contender last gen, you can bet people will buy it this gen) the Wii will take off.

GTA, Halo and Mass Effect are going to move systems, but not as rapidly as a cheap console with Mario on it. Hell, the Japan numbers will likely eclipse the 360's worldwide numbers alone.

Posted by Random

See thats the only reason why I haven't bought a Wii. There are some on shelves here now at local stores because its slowed down enough but there just aren't any games I want. Even in the near future. Not til Dragon Quest, Resident Evil and MarioKart come out that i'd even plan to purchase one.

My cousin bought a Wii and the only game we play is the Wii Sports and it gets boring rather quickly.

Ditto. It sucks massively at this point, but people are still buying the **** out of it. Not only that, they're buying really terrible games for it too.

Posted by Random

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Ditto. It sucks massively at this point, but people are still buying the **** out of it. Not only that, they're buying really terrible games for it too.

Well I think maybe that'll slow down. My cousin bought his Wii not even 2 months ago, and today he took it and traded it in for a new 360. We both agreed it was the better thing to do. I mean sure the Wii will have good games down the road, and they have a couple decent ones now, but the 360 has many great games out now with even more coming soon.

Of course it'll slow down, but I doubt it will before this holiday season. Chances are, it'll speed up as the months go by.

Posted by Unite

Well the wii is dirt cheap , just buying one to have isn't a problem either. When i went to buy one , the guy in front of me was buying 4 of them. The power bar that i have my wii connected to costed more. So it's not hard to see why it's selling so nicely, even thou it can't make use of my 5k tv.

Posted by s0ul

Quoting Unite: Well the wii is dirt cheap , just buying one to have isn't a problem either.

Yeah, I hear that market is ****ing huge.

I can't even begin to comprehend what people mean when they say that the 360 already has great games out.

PS!!!! I'd throw down 5 bucks that Prime 3 outsells Blue Dragon and Fable 2.

Posted by Axis

Fable 2 isn't even coming out this year.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Speedfreak;579613]Against Mario (most popular franchise in the world ever and far more accessible than Halo), Smash Bros (Gamecube's most successful title, equal in sales to Halo) and Metroid (not as popular as the other two, but a good kicker) and the sheer momentum Wii has going for it right now I don't see an easy win for 360 at all. 360 never sold like this after 5 months.

^^^^^^ Notice the bold parts VVVVVV

[quote=Random;579628]Ok you've got Mario, Smash Bro's, and Metroid vs Halo 3, GTA IV, Blue Dragon, Fable 2.. (Not to mention possibly Resident Evil 5, and Devil May Cry 4).

No... the Halo series blows out the Metroid series in sales, and console sales for releases by leaps and bounds.

Halo 2 has sold over 5 million copies-http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/7301/Halo-2-Sells-5-Million-Units/

Halo 1 sold over 3 million copies-http://www.macsoftgames.com/products/halo/MacSoft-Halo.html

Metroid Prime sold between 1 to 2 million copies-http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/7301/Halo-2-Sells-5-Million-Units/

Metroid Prime 2 sold less than Metroid Prime 1. I couldn't find exact numbers but IGN mentions how it was poorly outmatched by the prequel-http://cube.ign.com/articles/579/579600p1.html

Not to mention Microsoft sold about 3 Million consoles the day of Halo 2's release. If its anything like that for Halo 3, then i'm certain the 360 will take it.

Of course its too early to say and i'm not making any promises. I just speculate is all.

Way to waste your time.

How fast a game sells means relatively little. Halo sells amazingly for a week, great for 3 months then drops off the radar. Brain Training, which has sold more than either Halo game, started off incredibly slowly. Yet it's still in the top 10 DS sales charts today.

Have we seen anything of Resident Evil 5 recently? Last I heard it was still MIA since that first trailer, which showed a significant step back for the series and totally lacks the input of the series creator anyway.

[quote=Big Boss;579615][FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=yellowgreen]Halo isn't alone. The most successful franchise of the last generation, Grand Theft Auto, will also see release on the 360 later this year.[/COLOR][/FONT]

Heh, I forgot about GTA4. When Halo is coming you kind of tend to ignore every other game on the system. Still, I've yet to be convinced that GTA4 will be a massive 360 seller. 90% of GTAs fanbase played it on PS2 and would naturally associate the series with Sony. I think it's more likely to sell more PS3s than 360s, despite the PS3s...well, state, frankly.

Another 2 HUGE titles headed for Wii are Animal Crossing and Dragon Quest Swords. Animal Crossing has sold at least 5 million worldwide, that was when I checked last year. Dragon Quest is the most popular RPG in Japan, action RPG or not it'll sell.
It would really be a mistake to underestimate Mario this round, though. The last time Nintendo had a console and Mario game this accessible the flagship Mario title sold 15 million+. That doesn't account for 20 years od population growth.

Quoted post: Heh, I forgot about GTA4. When Halo is coming you kind of tend to ignore every other game on the system. Still, I've yet to be convinced that GTA4 will be a massive 360 seller. 90% of GTAs fanbase played it on PS2 and would naturally associate the series with Sony. I think it's more likely to sell more PS3s than 360s, despite the PS3s...well, state, frankly.

I think it'll sell more PS3 just because there's more PS3s to sell. Though I really don't think it'll be as much of a system-seller as it was once known for, and it'll just be a better seller on the 360 in the end, but won't move many off the shelves. That'll be Halo's job.

Posted by Poco

the gba beats the ps3 in sales again. it's an unstoppable behemoth.

ps: fable 2 will suck. Molyneux (sp, i know), is a **** liar and doesn't put half the features promised in his games.

Posted by protomanv4

These numbers don't surprize me at all, lol. I say Wii might win or possibally X-box 360, don't think PS3 will win though, since you know the price. Well, right now all we can do is wait.

Quoted post: ps: fable 2 will suck. Molyneux (sp, i know), is a **** liar and doesn't put half the features promised in his games.

Pretty much. I think he forgets games have limits.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Quoting Poco: Molyneux (sp, i know), is a **** liar and doesn't put half the features promised in his games.

You mean...Fable 2 won't reach self-awareness moments after being switched on, only to wrest control of the world's nuclear arsenals from the hands of their mortal masters and turn them against the human race? Dammit, Peter! You promised!

Seriously though, so long as Fable 2 expands upon the original's scope and vision as much as the average sequel tends to, and delivers a solid hack-n-slash adventure experience like the first game did, I'll be satisfied. I don't particularly care if the game's creator runs at the mouth a bit so long as the end product is good. I liked the first one.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Poco: ps: fable 2 will suck. Molyneux (sp, i know), is a **** liar and doesn't put half the features promised in his games.

Well, when I had a chance to talk with Peter Molyneux at GDC after his lecture...

:D

I mentioned to him some of the great points I felt made Fable a great game, but instead of elaborating on those he focused more on how bad it was for him to claim that it was going to be the best RPG ever and such. He said he was watching his mouth this time about what he promised or not, as evidenced by his lecture. Every time he introduced a feature in Fable 2, he promised that it would be there and it's not just an idea that they'll promise to put in. And the thing is I didn't even mention the negative stuff about it. He brought it up on his own, so it shows he's very aware that his unkept promises for the first game got him into a little trouble, and he's making sure the promised features will be there in the final build of the game.

Posted by Random

See, even though Fable was shortened, just the enjoyment of going back and playing it again and again made it one of the best RPGs of that console war. I didn't find anything on the cube or the ps2 that was as fun as Fable.