Sony's game devision loses big coin

Posted by clearlytheman

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6170827.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;1

OUCH that can't feel too good. Not looking good for those who want a price drop anytime soon. Sony just has a cocky attitude and it may easily sink them.

Posted by Random

I highly doubt he said that...

Well its time for Sony to re release the PS3 with a lot of that added junk takin off.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

There is no end to the good news this gen! I shall do the Animal Crossing happy dance on the day that sony computer entertainment is cleaved from the rotting corpse of its parent company, carved up into tiny pieces, and sold to various other corporations. A hundred years from now, the playstation brand will be a mere footnote in the history of the industry. There is hope for the world.

Posted by Zeta

It's finished; Sonys over.

Posted by Fate

omg

Sony losing money on the PS3? Is this news?

Posted by s0ul

wait how are they losing money if they're selling their systems at a loss? this is perplexing

Quoting s0ul: wait how are they losing money if they're selling their systems at a loss? this is perplexing

That's...what that means. The ps3 costs more to make than the retail price. Like most times, sony wants to make up the difference in game sales. Sounds like that isn't happening, though.

Posted by Fate

He was kidding.

And if you look at the numbers, the loss isn't as much as everyone was expecting. Nowhere near pull-out-of-the-race loss.

"Expected" and "acceptable" are two different things, though. If it looked anything like sony was going to rocket back into 1st-place any time now, I think losses like this might be acceptable, but I think sce is making promises they can't keep.

Posted by clearlytheman

I think sony should just focus on making their system great and making great games to back it up but they seem to be more concerned what the competition is doing. One other things give a hefty price drop yes they would lose more money per system but would sell alot more systems and their profits are more software driven so if they have more systems out there they will sell more software there by turning a profit and perhaps with more systems sold other developers may not be so scared to devote exclusive titles to PS3.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Fate;579408][COLOR=skyblue]He was kidding.

And if you look at the numbers, the loss isn't as much as everyone was expecting. Nowhere near pull-out-of-the-race loss.[/COLOR]

You know how Xbox 1 was a massive financial failure because it lost Microsoft $4 billion over 4 years? Well $2 billion over 5 months is a fair amount worse.

Sony basically have to win this generation by a large margin to make a decent profit, and looking the way it is that just won't happen.

Quoting Speedfreak:
Sony basically have to win this generation by a large margin to make a decent profit, and looking the way it is that just won't happen.

Heh. I honestly think sce believed themselves invincible and that anything they sold would instantly be #1 regardless of price or timing. I said it when the ps3's features and approximate price-range were first announced, and again I have to be reminded of the car that Homer Simpson designed for his brother.

Posted by Ant

So you just saw that picture too?!
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/AntmanMadness/ps3homer.png[/IMG]

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

# 2007 in Review: April vs. March vs. February vs. January
#Wii: 360,000 / 259,000 / 335,000 / 436,000
# Xbox 360: 174,000 / 199,000 / 228,000 / 249,000
# PlayStation 3: 82,000 / 130,000 / 127,000 / 244,000
# Nintendo DS: 471,000 / 508,000 / 485,000 / 239,000
# PSP: 183,000 / 180,000 / 176,000 / 221,000
# PlayStation 2: 194,000 / 280,000 / 295,000 / 300,000

zing

Posted by Fate

lol

Like I said, everyone was expecting to see some bigger numbers in terms of loss, but it's nowhere near catastrophic. And according to Vampiro's post, the loss will become substantially less as reports go. They should, anyways. Don't blame people for not buying the PS3, though. Not too many system-sellers at the moment.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: the loss will become substantially less as reports go.

Ten bux says the gaming division does worse in the third quarter than the second (though Spider-man will probably save them quite a bit) and Sony sells less systems in May than it did in Apirl.

Posted by ElroyJetson

I'm going with Vampiro on the lower sony numbers in May than April. I couldn't see myself purchasing a system unless the price dramatically dropped, or someone dropped a boatload of money on me (and someone provided me with an HDMI switch for my tv).

Posted by bazariah

the first major thing they should worry about is signing some awesome games and getting them released

the ps3 needs some good titles before i'd be willing to shell out the moolah